Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
1 Bay Club Place
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 669-6400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
Point Bar Hours: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:59pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30-1:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman and Neil Murphy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will create a menu specifically for you and your event. We are capable of doing small intimate groups of 25 or up to a large group of 250. We will use the same philosophy in preparing your group's food as we do in our restaurant. Fresh, Local, Sustainable, and Delicious!
- Entertainment: We provide live music 7 days a week starting at 5:30pm and ending at 9:00pm.
Sunday - Wednesday: Ranga Pae
Monday: David Wolf
Tuesday: Phil and Angela Benoit
A word from Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
Chef/Owner Peter Merriman has transplanted his version of Hawaii Regional Cuisine to this beautiful ocean-side location in the Kapalua resort. He uses only the freshest products of which 90% or more are locally produced or caught, using only sustainable methods. Peter has always been a front runner in the "Farm to Table" concept. All food is prepared in a way that highlights the natural flavors of the food. We have a very friendly staff to ensure that you have an incredible dining experience. Their food knowledge is among the best in the industry. All this is in the most beautiful location within the resort, right on the water where the most incredible sunsets are watched nightly at our oceanfront winebar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui - Best Restaurants in Kapalua ›
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
334 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (294)romantic (267)special occasion (264)great for outdoor dining (229)fit for foodies (204)notable wine list (134)hot spot (101)good for groups (70)vibrant bar scene (61)neighborhood gem (60)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (14)late-night find (12)Show More
- Kmo1854Dined on 11/21/2014Beautiful setting right on the water. Nice bar area perfect for sunsets. Food was very good and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on islandpeppattyDined on 11/19/2014This is the best meal we have had. it is a high end restaurant that is worth every penny. Every dish is incredible. Presentation, quality, taste....The waiters detailed description is given with passion and is extremely helpful in choosing from a diverse menu. We stayed with the fresh local fish ....I give this the highest recommendation possible...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt Free and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2014I am on a salt free diet. I told the waiter. He recommended an entree. Cannot recall the name but it was definitely the best meal I had during my vacation. The presentation was outstanding. The wait staff was extremely attentive. It is definitely on my lists of must-dos when visiting Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merriman's never disappoints!MamaEngDined on 11/17/2014We always look forward to eating at Merriman's and it has never disappointed us! Our favorite feature of the menu is being able to split two entrees in half and try each of them as an entree! Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an Amazing Spot!PeruanaVIPDined on 11/17/2014Congrats to the Chef!! Our dinner was fantastic! the fussion of flavors in our Mahi Mahi and ribeye steak were superb! Not to discount the Mai Tais we had during happy hour. Everything was as expected, even more. It made our last night in Maui quite memorable. Thank you so very much for making us feel in heaven ~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014Our dinner was absolutely delicious and the view and setting so beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Maui Dining GemMealsandK2Dined on 11/13/2014We started with the Happy Hour taking in the gorgeous view. 3rd Trip to Maui, first time to Merrimans. Fabulous table overlooking the sunset and beach. Food was fantastic. Great tip: have the Duo plate. This way you can have 2 portions of 2 entrees that you will have a hard time choosing between. Only thing: was surprised that the bar was not more well stocked. There was no Jack D. for my husband. Only some special bourbon? Anyone who knows.. men who drink Jack do not drink other brands. that was very odd. And no choices of Rum either. Just another "special" brand. Other than that. It was a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best dining experience evergofoodieDined on 11/12/2014My party arrived 15 mins too early and was informed by the beautiful hostess that we still have the option of an ocean view table if we'd prefer to wait for our reservation time. We told her any table in the back would be just fine, a wonderful young gentleman escorted us to a corner and we sat down to enjoy our evening. Our server's name was Levi, he was very patient, very accommodating and absolutely knowledgeable about both menu and wine list. Amazing food, we shared the special appetizer which was a mushroom soup and then my friend had the Mahi Mahi and I the Jidori. We ended the dinner with some special cocktails, wine and the delicious cheesecake. Doesn't matter where you sit, ambience was still very much beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the taro cakesMiamifoodieDined on 11/12/2014The food was excellent. I had two appetizers : The taro cakes, which came with kale, amazing mushrooms and zucchini "spaghetti". They were excellent. The scallop appetizer with beets and grilled pineapple aso was really good. Definitely have dessert. Both the chocolate phyllo purse (made with locally grown chocolate nibs) and the guava raspberry sorbet were really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable Scene, Service, and Cuisineseattlefoodie67Dined on 11/12/2014We came based upon a friend's recommendation. Over our stay in Maui, we thought it was best spot to enjoy the sunset views. Romantic but not pretentious. Excellent service and the quality of the cuisine was outstanding. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing mealGigiDined on 11/9/2014Had a beautiful table outside, the 2 appetizers were delicious, but when it came to the entree's, my husbands was ordinary and mine was not cooked properly. Brought it to the attention of the server, but instead he chose to ignore us the rest of the evening. The service was also so fast, felt like I was in an assembly line, the appetizers arrived a few minutes after we ordered, had not even had a sip of our wine, and as soon as the plates were removed the main meal followed, the whole process took about 30 minutes!Special Features:
- Consistently the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Merriman's is a must do event on Maui. To start with it is located on a point on the ocean where the waves roll in in the distance and you can watch the spectacular sunsets on Maui. A stunning location. The next thing you notice is the impeccable service. The waiters are not stuffy or hovering, but attentive and informative. Then the food, oh my goodness! The flavors and the preparations are unbelievably good. The Macadamia crusted Machong fish will melt in your mouth. Our waiter suggested a couple of desserts and we ordered them both because we couldn't decide. Wow! We ordered the Masalas and chocolate purse. Can't even begin to put in words how delicious they both were. If you want one special splurge on Maui, make it Merriman's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful BrunchJBurkeDined on 11/9/2014Couldn't be in a more beautiful spot with a spectacular view! Came for their brunch menu with some visiting guests. All four of us raved about our choices, and the price - so much better than hotel dining! Would recommend it to anyone and will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- beautiful viewandiDined on 11/8/2014Love the location. Great for sunsets,great food. Lamb was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner disappointmentDinerDocDined on 11/8/2014We have eaten at Merriman's many times. We had fair to poor service on 1-2 occasions and understand that sometimes happens. This time was by far the worst. Our server was fine until he took our order. After that, we rarely saw him. It took forever to get dessert menus, then forever to get our coffee, and finally to get the dessert. There was no explanation or apology offered. The view and atmosphere are dynamic and it appears the restaurant is relying on that far too much. The menu is less extensive, especially fish options, and prices keep going up. Foods were much spicier than in the past and after spending $200, we were quite disappointed.Special Features:
- NGStarVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were looked after very well - top marks go to our waiter Jay-Jay and the team of waiters that served us on the night. The food was delicious too and as it was my partner's birthday I really appreciated the complimentary birthday dessert that was presented to us to share. We want to go back during the day to glimpse the view and taste the brunch.Special Features:
- no longer eleganthoonooDined on 11/7/2014this has been a favorite of ours for years till the last few. It is now unfriendly, loud, crowded. It used to be quiet, beautiful and elegant. Now, it's like a bus station. Kids running around under foot; patrons wearing T shirts and shorts. The worst is how the hostesses dress. the hostesses are young girls, dressed in shorts and flip flops and just slightly rude. All this can be acceptable if they were to price it accordingly but the prices are some of the highest on the island. The last two times we tried to go early to sit on their back deck to watch the sunset which is the highlight of the restaurant it was closed for a private event. I doubt we will return. We will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Doesn't get much better than this!FzedlachDined on 11/7/2014Arrival at the restaurant is made easy by prompt valets. The views here are simply breathtaking. The food is spectacular as well. The service was attentive and professional. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveDined on 11/7/2014The Day at the Spa cocktail was perfection and The Munchong is a must! Absolutely recommend the Chocolate Purse as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our West Maui FavoriteMauistateofmindDined on 11/7/2014While we don't travel to West Maui often, when we do Merriman's is always one of the go to places for us. Sunsets are amazing, the food and service is always great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local with visiting guestPelekeDined on 11/5/2014Wonderful evening to celebrate a visiting girlfriends birthday but love to come with my husband on date night as well. Love the farm to table because we eat organic at home. Of course the location and view can't be beat and there isn't a bad table in the house, I work in F&B for a major resort and always recommend it.Special Features:
- Solo dining experienceIslandGirl66Dined on 11/5/2014I travel extensively for business and am comfortable with solo dining experiences, but I normally avoid pricier locations typically visited for special occasions. Merriman's food and scenic location are well worth a visit for solo travelers as well as traditional groups. I was pleasantly suprised to be seated at a premium table with an excellent view of the sunset as well as the surrounding bay. Each course was as good as I have come to expect from Merriman's, and the staff was very attentive. One of my favorite things about Merriman's is the waiter's extensive knowledge of the ingredients included in all dishes. The coconut creme brulee is not to be missed.Special Features:
- amazing food but do not book onlinejlharpDined on 11/4/2014the food was amazing but I was very disappointed yo arrive and be seated at a table next to the bar...I had booked online two months earlier and at the time noted it was out 25th ann,.when I to,d the hostess this she told me we could wait an hour for a better table...did not care at all....she came back a few minutes later to take us to a better table...one we should have had to being with...i think a person should call to book not do this online reservation.Special Features:
- Great as usualsrickmVIPDined on 11/3/2014Everything was exceptional as usual at this, our favorite Maui restaurant.Special Features:
- PerfectMegjakesDined on 11/3/2014Our sunset view was incredible! Service was outstanding and the food was even better! I highly recommend this gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014I went here with my wife and in-laws while in Maui after John bartender at Japengo (in the Hyatt) recommended it to us. Great atmosphere with some soft live music (guitar and flute playing cover songs), incredible service, and great food. We started with the pupu taster (quesadilla, ahi poke, and lobster were delicious) then each ordered the duo plate (Monchung, ahi, filet of beef, and mahimahi respectfully) and and were full after the meal. It was a great way to end our vacation. Suggestions: Book a few days out and go for an early dinner to watch the sunset. We had a 7:30p reservation and were seated right away at 7p, but we felt we missed some of the outside ambiance because it was so dark out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must goShirleygrlDined on 10/31/2014Fabulous View, delicious food, unpretentious wait staff, beautiful music. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating Our Wedding AnniversaryIndianDined on 10/31/2014We had a grand time celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. The service was perfect. The atmosphere was spectacular. We were seated exactly where we wanted with the wonderful view of the ocean. The dinner music was lovely. The Pink Panther song was a special treat. Our separate courses of dinner were perfectly prepared and served. We had the fish and vegetable plates with a half lobster added to each, which filled us greatly. The final special touch, unsolicited, was the desert plate with Happy Anniversary spelled out in Hawaiian on the plate with cocoa! We had a marvelous time, and highly recommend the experience to all. Ron & Betty Standiferd Albuquerque, New MexicoSpecial Features:
- Total Flopsad2eatDined on 10/29/2014We were celebrating our 37th wedding anniversary. We were given the worst table in the house. There was a musical duo playing and between the noise from them and the chatter of the restaurant we couldn't hear our waiter. I ordered the lamb which was on the menu but was told later they didn't have.Two people in our party had fish and said it was good one had beef said it was good but the side dish was not. I settled for the chicken which was ok but nothing special. We had no salads, 4 entres, 1 alcoholic drink and 1 desert and the bill was over $300 including tip. If you want a great meal, view and service go to Koas in Lahina we had 4 entries 2 large salads 9 alcoholic drinks and a desert for $220.
- thedocVIPDined on 10/29/2014A great view and great meal. Our waitress was awesome and the whole experience memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing View and Even Better FoodSEAfatboyDined on 10/29/2014The food was unique, diverse and delicious. The server was attentive... Much more attentive than what we experienced at other restaurants in Maui. The view from our table was amazing. We watched the sunset as we dined. The price is comparable to other restaurants in the Lahaina area. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. It's both an experience and a great meal.Special Features:
- Absolutely amazingTinaSFVIPDined on 10/28/2014This was truly a superb dining experience. It was our last night on Maui after XTERRA Worlds, and we chose this restaurant after talking to a local who said it was superior to the Ritz (where we had a reservation). We changed the reservation and were not disappointed. Every bite of every dish we got was outstanding (mai tai, pupu sampler, local pork special, ahi tuna, flourless chocolate cake). We would have licked our plates clean if we could have. We had a table which was private with open air access to a rainy night. It would have been nice at sunset, but we wanted to eat later. Though we couldn't see the stunning view, the dining experience was still outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014You would think the location and incredible view would be the "highlight" here (the sunsets are indeed amazing) but the service is outstanding as is the food! The staff is so professional and engaged. If you are staying on Maui please make dinner here a "must" on your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another stellar eveningWatchinDaBearsVIPDined on 10/27/2014We have come to expect great food and impeccable service from any Merriman's location; that's because we always experience them whenever we visit. And it was the same this past Monday evening. Their classic preparations of Monchong (ordered by my wife) and Seared Ahi (my order) were everything expected and more. We shared a kale and butter lettuce salad, also a delightful mix of flavors--kula onions, beets, and a sublte dressing. Service by all of the staff was attentive, professional and friendly, but not obtrusive. And the view before and after sunset is a pure delight. Once again another delightful evening at Merriman's, and good reason to keep it on our 'must eat here' list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best drinks dinner sunset comboJBLMDMBADined on 10/26/2014We go every time we are in Maui at least twice each week. Arrive for sunset on the patio which is on a point in the ocean in Kapalua with perfect sunsets. Just count the cameras every night! Order Day at the Spa for a cocktail or the mule - all handmade and delicious. The dinner options are locally unique and cover every option. NEVER skip the mongchong if available - and their ahi poke is traditionally great as well. The views while you dine accompanied by live music will make any evening a memorable experience worth a drive even form Wailea. We have never had a bad prep nor an unpleasant wait person. Free valet parking makes it a breeze and the drive getting there is picturesque so definitely bring the camera.Special Features:
- Pre-race Meal for XTERRATinaDined on 10/25/2014Service, setting, and food are incredible. Delicious appetizers and seafood dishes all around! Can't wait to return...Special Features:
- AwesomeCal007VIPDined on 10/24/2014Sets the bar for other 5 star restaurants in Hawaii. The food, service, and view could each stand well enough on their own. Combined, it's a simply awesome experience. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 7/10 overallkittyDined on 10/24/2014We had made a reservation for a special birthday for dinner. I asked for a table with a view, so we were pretty close to the rail, and it did have a nice view of the sunset (around 6pm). Service was mediocre at best. Our server, while nice, was not very attentive, and not always prompt. There was no inquiry as to how our food was after being served until well after having finished our plates. Food was decent, not great. We are from cattle country, and typically like out meat rare or medium-rare. Unfortunately the meat on our plates was quite undercooked, but we didn't bother to send it back, considering how long it would have taken to get it back to the table. We did get a nice treat for the birthday person. A bit overpriced, but nice.Special Features:
- IdealJaybobDined on 10/23/2014Perfect setting on the beach, with a lovely deck. Excellent menu options and preparation of the food. A true treat.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Had a great evening. The waitress was fantastic,any and all questions were answered. The food was great, we will be back.Special Features: