Merrill & Co.
1 Appleton Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Merrill & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.merrillandcoboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 728-0728
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Wednesday 5:00 pm - 11:00pm
Thursday & Friday 5:00 pm - 1:00 am
Saturday 10:00 am - 1:00 am
Sunday 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Weekend Brunch 10:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner 5:00 pm
Bar closes at 1:00 am Thursday - Saturday
Sunday - Wednesday 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Bauers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Flat screen T.V.'s with daily sports games
- Cross Street: Tremont Street
- Public Transit: MBTA Orange Line - Back Bay Station, Tufts Medical Center
MBTA Green Line - Arlington Street Station
MBTA Bus - #43 Tremont Street at Herald Street, Tremont Street at Appleton Street
MBTA Bus - #9 Tremont Street at Herald Street, E. Berkeley Street at Tremont
MBTA Silver Line - SL5 Washington Street at Herald Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking $17 per car, and there is limited metered street parking available throughout the South End.
A word from Merrill & Co.
Merrill & Co. is a fun, lively neighborhood restaurant in Boston's South end featuring elevated takes on American comfort food with Southern regional influences and a raw bar featuring a variety of oysters, crudos and cures. We offer a full bar, a curated list of craft beer in bottle and keg and a value-driven wine list. During warm weather, our 36-seat patio is a great place to join friends for a casual cocktail, or weekend brunch!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Merrill & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (43)neighborhood gem (40)great for outdoor dining (36)fit for foodies (32)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (14)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (12)great for lunch (8)special occasion (4)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Good comfort foodFenwayFoodieDined on 11/8/2014Overall, my husband and I were happy with our experience at Merrill & Co. Decent prices, good comfort food, and great service. We dined with another couple and shared quite a few plates. Everything we tried was good. The deviled eggs and mac & cheese were our favorites, but we were disappointed that at 730pm on a Saturday, they were already out of the fish fry. The drinks were ok.. cute "diner" take on them, but nothing that I would have to order again.Special Features:
- Good food; youthful atmospherefoodtalkDined on 11/7/2014We went for supper before a theater performance nearby at the Calderwood so the restaurant was not crowded. The food was delicious (brussel sprouts and a meatball dish in a terrific tomato sauce in tapas-size portions; roasted salmon as a main course) and the service was fine. The noise level from the music - not from the crowd - was way too high for our taste, even over in the "quiet corner" we requested. I don't think I would choose it again for that reason, but younger folk would no doubt find it just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sooooo gooooood!Foodie6VIPDined on 11/7/2014I have to say, I am a loyal lover of jmCurley and my husband and I recently moved to the South End from the North End...so obviously this place has to fill the void of living further away from my beloved! This place is awesome - the food was incredible, I highly recommend whatever the chef's special is that evening, as well as the biscuits with pimento cheese, the corn bread, the macaroni and cheese, the fried chicken...seriously, all amazing. The night we were there, Chef Tyler made an awesome lamb lollipop over roasted squash with peanuts and raisins...so good! The cocktails are original and delicious, and their wine and beer list is perfection. I cannot say enough how great this restaurant is, happy to make it my new neighborhood go-to!Special Features:
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014With so many good to great restaurants in the South End I was looking forward to adding another to the list. Unfortunately I can not recommend Merrill & Co. to that list. If you seek a casual atmosphere with an eclectic menu, perhaps this is your spot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014I had the eggs benedict. Eggs were really poorly cooked. The white wasn't completely opaque but the yellow was gooey. I didn't quite understand how they managed to do that... maybe microwaved? And the bacon was burnt. Just disappointing. I will not be back.
- JessVIPDined on 10/25/2014Although I've heard great things about dinner here, I wouldn't recommend it for brunch quite yet as it seems they're still getting their footing. The food was sub-par, and the service was spotty - our waiter was non-existent, and we had to flag down anyone we could to even get menus and to take our order. That being said, at the end of our meal the manager came over, apologized for the service, and without being asked comped our drinks. The fact that they acknowledged the issues meant a lot, and I'll definitely be back to try dinner.Special Features:
- Terrible.ilovenomsDined on 10/19/2014Terrible food - my brunch was inedible. The service was sub-optimal, there were missing items, incorrect orders and overall inattentiveness. The restaurant was pretty empty, so there was no excuse. This was my second experience that was poor, so I have given it a fair shot. I would never return, and never recommend to anyone.
- Too loud, lousy service, great foodSammyWammyDined on 10/18/2014The food and drinks were top notch. Best octopus I've ever had. The meat was fresh and tasted delicious. The service however left a lot to be desired. One plate came to our group of five and sat for about ten full minutes before the other four plates came. When a server finally brought the other four plates, two of them were the wrong order and our waitress said "oops I entered your orders wrong" and giggled. Not okay! This error coupled with the LOUD restaurant (tin ceilings) made for a pretty distracting environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glorified Bar Food With a TwistMunkustrap178Dined on 10/18/2014The service here was excellent. The cocktails seemed creative, but tasted run of the mill. My "Dreamgirl" literally tasted like vodka & cranberry, not to mention the fact that it's unpleasant to drink with crushed ice, as half of your straw ends up being ice. The menu is small, but satisfying at first glance. A bit too focused on southern tastes if you ask me. The shrimp cocktail was fine, but the shrimp were too small to go along with that price. The lettuce wraps came with fried shrimp, and we also ordered fried calamari. The shrimp and the calamari are seemingly fried in the same batter, and both were SO SALTY that we couldn't finish it. Literally, lip-drying, water-guzzlingly salty. I may come back if I'm short on time, but...Special Features:
- Can't beat Monday's dollar oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have dined multiple times at Merrill & Co on Mondays for dollar oyster night. The oysters are always incredible and the small plates we have tried have been fantastic as well. Very cool, hip vibe inside, sorry to see the end of the patio days now that summer is over. All around a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A creative Brunch choiceDiningIsaHobbyDined on 9/28/2014Shrimp and Grits with an Oyster Shooter and other non traditional brunch menu choices provide a creative new brunch alternative in the South End... Try it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some workworldfoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014While the food and ambiance were good, the poor service, waiter's limited knowledge of the menu/specials, multiple mistakes on bill and lack of interest in making our experience better as things started going downhill, left a bad taste in all of our mouths.Special Features:
- One Shot Dealluv2dineVIPDined on 9/26/2014I would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends, since I thought the food was quite good. Especially the waffle fries - wow! However, the menu is so small (we tried almost half of the menu) that I don't see myself returning.Special Features:
- Great for family diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Great food options for parents and children alike!Special Features:
- Awesome new spotCordyElkDined on 9/23/2014Great addition to the south end. Love the small plates sharing for big groups and weekend night snacks over cocktails - amazing bartenders too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful Service and meh foodfriends4foodDined on 9/20/2014My friends and I saw that this place had been listed as one of Boston's Hot places to eat so we made reservations. We received our drinks and placed an order for appetizers (mussels and lettuce wraps). After about 20 or so minutes of waiting, the waiter came back to tell us they were out of the mussels (apparently they didn't know this sooner or when he placed the order) so we ordered the calamari instead which we received first. We ordered another drink, that just sat at the bar. Frustrated, we flagged down a waiter, got the check, made reservations at another place and left. The waiter was focused on other things, or was missing half the time. The place wasn't even that busy. I would never go nor recommend going again.
- come on!1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Merrill has all the ingredients to be a great place you want to visit weekly, I hope they get it together! Briana, the bartender is awesome and the food was yummy. Big problem with their lack of a clue as to how to graciously receive and serve guests. The place is under utilized, i.e. there were very few tables. But first, we pulled up to the valet and no one was around, the host chased someone down eventually, we sat at the bar waiting for another guest, we had to track him down again to be seated eventually, now this is all on a night completely not busy! Slow service, but then one guest was served his entire meal and had to resist eating the whole thing before we were even served, literally! And, need I repeat, the place was near empty.
- limited brunch menuBostonFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014we went for sunday brunch and were bummed that the signature dishes- fried chicken, oysters, southern-comfort stuff, was not on the small brunch menu. the brunch menu was rather small with no salad or chicken options - mostly eggs or bagel + lox. would have loved some lighter options. corn bread, definitely not light!, was delicious and food overall was good but would go back more regularly if there were some lighter options and/or larger menu.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodSEfoodieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our third visit to this new hot spot in the South End and our best one to date. The atmosphere is fun, funky, and spotless. The food was delicious -- oysters, flounder, devised eggs, and sliders -- with each item prepared perfectly. The most impressive part was the service. The host/manager remembered us from previous visits (over two months earlier), greeted us warmly and seated us promptly. The servers were all friendly, knowledgable, and efficient. Overall great experience and we look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Don't bother going to Merrill & CoBackBayGuyVIPDined on 8/31/2014I initially made a reservation for Monday night (Labor Day). I received a call stating they wouldn't be open on Monday, so rescheduled for Sunday night. I went there with a friend who was visiting from out of town. The place was virtually empty, so we sat at the bar. It took at least 5 mins for the bartender to even acknowledge us. My friend wanted to leave, but I convinced him to stay. He made another reservation at Aquitaine while we sat there waiting for service. We ordered drinks and the lettuce wraps. We received the lettuce wraps but never received the drinks. The place didn't have many people in there and it baffles me as to why the service could be so slow. It's unlikely I will ever go back there.
- The food is goodfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Passed by this place many times with neon EAT in their window and a younger crowd mostly with drinks. But it was a beautiful day, they have a large patio, and decided to try it-- before theater eats. The food is good. The bluefish pate came with an aspic covering, warm toasted bread, and peaches. The heirloom tomato salad lived up to expectations, and the watermelon salad was refreshing (although a little light on the jonah crab). The grilled octopus was perectly prepared, and a roasted cod dish was spicy but not overpowering. Is this "American comfort food?" I'm so glad the chef appears to be wandering from his stated theme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outDzrinVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had an early dinner on a Friday outside on the patio - comfortable & not noisy considering it's on Berkeley street. Patio was full by 6:30 & inside was pretty full by about 7:30 pm. Service was great - very attentive. Although they claim their dishes are for sharing/tapas style - we found that all of the dishes we chose (fish & chips, lobster roll and cod) were all big enough for one person to be satisfied with. I got the 4 piece chicken which comes with 4 biscuits & a huge plate of coleslaw - that was enough for two people to share. We also got corn and fries for starters - both were delicious, but fries were unnecessary since the meals were big enough. We ate them anyway. All of the food was very good. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Visitdaria200Dined on 8/4/2014All I can say is you can't beat $1 oysters! Another great visit to Merrill & Co. with my friends.Special Features:
- Love this placecortneyp98Dined on 8/2/2014My boyfriend and I brought a few friends and we all had a great time. The staff/service is friendly and attentive. The food was, of course, phenomenal. We were really taken care of and can't wait to go back! Would definitely recommend to friends and family. Start with the oysters, they are amazing.Special Features:
- BummerSteppinOutDined on 7/28/2014I wanted to like Merrill & Co. so bad. The food was good (not mind blowing, but certainly good) & the drinks with the exception of the cocktail "Ocean Mist" were also good. The Ocean Mist smelt like dirty dish towels and tasted awful. They struck it from the bill, which was proper. The real downside was the service. It was a rainy Monday. When it came time to get the bill the waitress came towards the table, saw another waitress & stopped to talk to her, despite making eye contact with us as we were waiting for her. At the time, we were 1 of 3 parties in the restaurant. I would write to the restaurant, but it would require even more of my time. I will not be surprised when the restaurant fails, but I will be sad. Lots of potential.Special Features:
- Great New Finddaria200Dined on 7/27/2014This is a cool new spot where I would take my friends for some casual bites and drinks. All menu items are perfect for sharing. We tried a little of everything - mussels, mac & cheese, grilled corn, calamari, shrimp cocktail. Everything is pretty reasonably priced so you won't break the bank either.Special Features:
- Dinner with friends:LocalFanVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our dinner was a wonderful start to our special night out with some friends. It was our first visit to the restaurant. The staff were warm and welcoming, and every item we ordered achieved a new standard of excellence for that dish! We can wait to return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Merrill & Co. reviews archive.
- Amateur NightCurnonskyVIPDined on 7/23/2014From the spacey greeting by the hostess--too distracted to record our arrival, with the result that we later received a no-show message from OpenTable--to the surly send-off by the valet parking attendant, everything revealed a restaurant in need of adult supervision. We liked sitting outside, escaping the din inside. Our server was well-meaning, but overwhelmed by the chaos in the kitchen, and a bit surprised by our increasing hunger, thirst, and frustration. He did end up comping us on a glass of wine that took twenty-five minutes to show up. The fried chicken was juicy, but all the other dishes were over-salted. Go for al fresco dining in the South End. But be prepared for generous helpings of amateurism and fecklessness.Special Features:
- Patio was pleasantMarthaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Noise inside restaurant was unbearable. It seems as if a loud party was going on and my friend and I were 50 years older than most of the other diners.Special Features:
- Meh.bostoneatsVIPDined on 7/22/2014Great patio, the food is meh, the service was alright. We ordered several rounds of wine and it took 15 minutes for them to come out, each time! Also good to note that it was not very crowded so I'm not sure what the hold up was. The food was alright, certainly not anything I'd rush back for.
- introducing new foodiesbarmagicianDined on 7/21/2014We came in as a six top, four of which dont go out very often, all of which are very plain eaters, it took some coaching, but we got them to try an array of new items, including a few from the new menu. Every one of us left more than satisfied, our new foodie friends with a changed perception of different foods. Abby was spectacular, her menu knowledge helping my friends through the seeming confusing menu. All in all she made my birthday dinner a complete successSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/16/2014Order a slushie, an innovative cocktail or some sherry. Eat lots of oysters and shareable plates. Have a blast with the service team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Afternoon Drinks SpotEastieFoodieDined on 7/12/2014We went here for drinks outside on their patio one weekend afternoon, and it was very quiet. The service was outstanding, and our waiter knew a lot about the different types of beers they offer.Special Features:
- Fun spotshebobVIPDined on 7/8/2014Lively interior with lots of booths and seats at one of the two bars. We tried the watermelon salad (light on the crab, but really nice Asian flavors and a bit of spice), Tuna Ceviche (included a good amount of what we finally figured out was thinly sliced potato - added crunch, but not in love with it) and fried chicken plate (super buttery tender little biscuits and solid classic coleslaw and very very crispy chicken. Chicken arrived incredibly hot and a tad under salted but overall very appealing). Drinks were not taking themselves too seriously (as can be a problems sometimes these days) and were tasty and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014Wonderful!!!!! We loved every bite. Do sit out on the patio--such a charming South End view. This was our first time--our son and his wife brought us. They'd raved about the food--and we were completely sold! The deviled eggs, corn bread and asparagus were amazing. And the special ceviche with shaved coconut was the best ceviche we ever tasted. Keep it on the menu permanently!!! Our server was a joy--helpful warm, professional, and absolutely flawless at pacing our many small plate courses--whole fish meal and dessert. Bravo. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Needs WorkMichDonVIPDined on 6/29/2014So I'll be honest...we went to Merrill on a Sunday and they have a "special" Sunday menu. It wasn't good. It only has about ten items. Dinner for us ended up being a hot dog and hamburger...both of which were just OK. I think we would have liked the full menu a lot better. The staff was very friendly (which was appreciated) and the outdoor seating was nice but the food just wasn't good. I hate to give it a "poor" rating but this would only reflect the Sunday menu. We will try it again when the full menu is offered. Timing needs to be worked on...our drinks took a long time and it was NOT busy but that could be because it's still new. Keep trying Merrill and Co. and lose the "Special" Sunday menu.Special Features:
- Sunday MenubrooklinerDined on 6/29/2014This was my first visit to Merrill & Co. Sundays they have a limited menu. If we had known how limited we would have gone else where. So, just make sure you know ahead of time. That said, everything we ordered was great. Most surprising was how yummy the hot dogs were :) Definitely will return to experience the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Foodie6VIPDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is great, not that I would expect anything less from the folks that established jmCurley and Bin 26 Enoteca! The beer and wine list is great, the smoked bluefish pate was incredible, the sliders were cooked perfectly, the cornbread just melted in your mouth, the waffle fries...gahhh...everything was amazing, including the service - from the host to our server to the backwaiters. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- MediocreCarlyDined on 6/19/2014Food was just so-so, restaurant didn't feel like anything special. Pimm's cup slushies were the best part of the night, I wouldn't recommend going for a full meal.
- great food, cool spot, bad serviceBVillageNeighborDined on 6/7/2014we have really loved this place since it opened - go there frequently and normally have a great time. this was our first time there on a busy saturday night though and the service was pretty terrible. we waited almost 45 minutes for drinks alone and then another 30 minutes to try to order. it was a busy night and seemed like there was only one or two servers for a packed patio so hopefully they will get this figured out.I would recommend this to a friend.