Merrill & Co.
1 Appleton Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Merrill & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.merrillandcoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177280728x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 5:00 pm -11:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 am - 11:00 pm
Weekend Brunch 10:00am - 3:30pm
Late night Menu, Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 pm - 12:30 am
Bar closes at 1 am Monday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Cheek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Flat screen T.V.'s with daily sports games
- Cross Street: Tremont Street
- Public Transit: MBTA Orange Line - Back Bay Station, Tufts Medical Center
MBTA Green Line - Arlington Street Station
MBTA Bus - #43 Tremont Street at Herald Street, Tremont Street at Appleton Street
MBTA Bus - #9 Tremont Street at Herald Street, E. Berkeley Street at Tremont
MBTA Silver Line - SL5 Washington Street at Herald Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: We offer valet parking and there is limited metered street parking available throughout the South End.
A word from Merrill & Co.
Merrill & Co. is a fun, lively neighborhood restaurant in Boston's South end featuring elevated takes on American comfort food with Southern regional influences and a raw bar featuring a variety of oysters, crudos and cures. We offer a full bar, a curated list of craft beer in bottle and keg and a value-driven wine list. During warm weather, our 36-seat patio is a great place to join friends for a casual cocktail, or weekend brunch!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Merrill & Co. - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Merrill & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (35)fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (7)special occasion (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- limited brunch menuBostonFoodieVIPDined on 9/14/2014we went for sunday brunch and were bummed that the signature dishes- fried chicken, oysters, southern-comfort stuff, was not on the small brunch menu. the brunch menu was rather small with no salad or chicken options - mostly eggs or bagel + lox. would have loved some lighter options. corn bread, definitely not light!, was delicious and food overall was good but would go back more regularly if there were some lighter options and/or larger menu.Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodSEfoodieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our third visit to this new hot spot in the South End and our best one to date. The atmosphere is fun, funky, and spotless. The food was delicious -- oysters, flounder, devised eggs, and sliders -- with each item prepared perfectly. The most impressive part was the service. The host/manager remembered us from previous visits (over two months earlier), greeted us warmly and seated us promptly. The servers were all friendly, knowledgable, and efficient. Overall great experience and we look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Don't bother going to Merrill & CoBackBayGuyVIPDined on 8/31/2014I initially made a reservation for Monday night (Labor Day). I received a call stating they wouldn't be open on Monday, so rescheduled for Sunday night. I went there with a friend who was visiting from out of town. The place was virtually empty, so we sat at the bar. It took at least 5 mins for the bartender to even acknowledge us. My friend wanted to leave, but I convinced him to stay. He made another reservation at Aquitaine while we sat there waiting for service. We ordered drinks and the lettuce wraps. We received the lettuce wraps but never received the drinks. The place didn't have many people in there and it baffles me as to why the service could be so slow. It's unlikely I will ever go back there.
- The food is goodfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Passed by this place many times with neon EAT in their window and a younger crowd mostly with drinks. But it was a beautiful day, they have a large patio, and decided to try it-- before theater eats. The food is good. The bluefish pate came with an aspic covering, warm toasted bread, and peaches. The heirloom tomato salad lived up to expectations, and the watermelon salad was refreshing (although a little light on the jonah crab). The grilled octopus was perectly prepared, and a roasted cod dish was spicy but not overpowering. Is this "American comfort food?" I'm so glad the chef appears to be wandering from his stated theme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening outDzrinVIPDined on 8/8/2014Had an early dinner on a Friday outside on the patio - comfortable & not noisy considering it's on Berkeley street. Patio was full by 6:30 & inside was pretty full by about 7:30 pm. Service was great - very attentive. Although they claim their dishes are for sharing/tapas style - we found that all of the dishes we chose (fish & chips, lobster roll and cod) were all big enough for one person to be satisfied with. I got the 4 piece chicken which comes with 4 biscuits & a huge plate of coleslaw - that was enough for two people to share. We also got corn and fries for starters - both were delicious, but fries were unnecessary since the meals were big enough. We ate them anyway. All of the food was very good. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Visitdaria200Dined on 8/4/2014All I can say is you can't beat $1 oysters! Another great visit to Merrill & Co. with my friends.Special Features:
- Love this placecortneyp98Dined on 8/2/2014My boyfriend and I brought a few friends and we all had a great time. The staff/service is friendly and attentive. The food was, of course, phenomenal. We were really taken care of and can't wait to go back! Would definitely recommend to friends and family. Start with the oysters, they are amazing.Special Features:
- BummerSteppinOutDined on 7/28/2014I wanted to like Merrill & Co. so bad. The food was good (not mind blowing, but certainly good) & the drinks with the exception of the cocktail "Ocean Mist" were also good. The Ocean Mist smelt like dirty dish towels and tasted awful. They struck it from the bill, which was proper. The real downside was the service. It was a rainy Monday. When it came time to get the bill the waitress came towards the table, saw another waitress & stopped to talk to her, despite making eye contact with us as we were waiting for her. At the time, we were 1 of 3 parties in the restaurant. I would write to the restaurant, but it would require even more of my time. I will not be surprised when the restaurant fails, but I will be sad. Lots of potential.Special Features:
- Great New Finddaria200Dined on 7/27/2014This is a cool new spot where I would take my friends for some casual bites and drinks. All menu items are perfect for sharing. We tried a little of everything - mussels, mac & cheese, grilled corn, calamari, shrimp cocktail. Everything is pretty reasonably priced so you won't break the bank either.Special Features:
- Dinner with friends:LocalFanDined on 7/26/2014Our dinner was a wonderful start to our special night out with some friends. It was our first visit to the restaurant. The staff were warm and welcoming, and every item we ordered achieved a new standard of excellence for that dish! We can wait to return for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amateur NightCurnonskyVIPDined on 7/23/2014From the spacey greeting by the hostess--too distracted to record our arrival, with the result that we later received a no-show message from OpenTable--to the surly send-off by the valet parking attendant, everything revealed a restaurant in need of adult supervision. We liked sitting outside, escaping the din inside. Our server was well-meaning, but overwhelmed by the chaos in the kitchen, and a bit surprised by our increasing hunger, thirst, and frustration. He did end up comping us on a glass of wine that took twenty-five minutes to show up. The fried chicken was juicy, but all the other dishes were over-salted. Go for al fresco dining in the South End. But be prepared for generous helpings of amateurism and fecklessness.Special Features:
- Patio was pleasantMarthaVIPDined on 7/23/2014Noise inside restaurant was unbearable. It seems as if a loud party was going on and my friend and I were 50 years older than most of the other diners.Special Features:
- Meh.bostoneatsVIPDined on 7/22/2014Great patio, the food is meh, the service was alright. We ordered several rounds of wine and it took 15 minutes for them to come out, each time! Also good to note that it was not very crowded so I'm not sure what the hold up was. The food was alright, certainly not anything I'd rush back for.
- introducing new foodiesbarmagicianDined on 7/21/2014We came in as a six top, four of which dont go out very often, all of which are very plain eaters, it took some coaching, but we got them to try an array of new items, including a few from the new menu. Every one of us left more than satisfied, our new foodie friends with a changed perception of different foods. Abby was spectacular, her menu knowledge helping my friends through the seeming confusing menu. All in all she made my birthday dinner a complete successSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/16/2014Order a slushie, an innovative cocktail or some sherry. Eat lots of oysters and shareable plates. Have a blast with the service team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet Afternoon Drinks SpotEastieFoodieDined on 7/12/2014We went here for drinks outside on their patio one weekend afternoon, and it was very quiet. The service was outstanding, and our waiter knew a lot about the different types of beers they offer.Special Features:
- Fun spotshebobVIPDined on 7/8/2014Lively interior with lots of booths and seats at one of the two bars. We tried the watermelon salad (light on the crab, but really nice Asian flavors and a bit of spice), Tuna Ceviche (included a good amount of what we finally figured out was thinly sliced potato - added crunch, but not in love with it) and fried chicken plate (super buttery tender little biscuits and solid classic coleslaw and very very crispy chicken. Chicken arrived incredibly hot and a tad under salted but overall very appealing). Drinks were not taking themselves too seriously (as can be a problems sometimes these days) and were tasty and refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/3/2014Wonderful!!!!! We loved every bite. Do sit out on the patio--such a charming South End view. This was our first time--our son and his wife brought us. They'd raved about the food--and we were completely sold! The deviled eggs, corn bread and asparagus were amazing. And the special ceviche with shaved coconut was the best ceviche we ever tasted. Keep it on the menu permanently!!! Our server was a joy--helpful warm, professional, and absolutely flawless at pacing our many small plate courses--whole fish meal and dessert. Bravo. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Needs WorkMichDonVIPDined on 6/29/2014So I'll be honest...we went to Merrill on a Sunday and they have a "special" Sunday menu. It wasn't good. It only has about ten items. Dinner for us ended up being a hot dog and hamburger...both of which were just OK. I think we would have liked the full menu a lot better. The staff was very friendly (which was appreciated) and the outdoor seating was nice but the food just wasn't good. I hate to give it a "poor" rating but this would only reflect the Sunday menu. We will try it again when the full menu is offered. Timing needs to be worked on...our drinks took a long time and it was NOT busy but that could be because it's still new. Keep trying Merrill and Co. and lose the "Special" Sunday menu.Special Features:
- Sunday MenubrooklinerDined on 6/29/2014This was my first visit to Merrill & Co. Sundays they have a limited menu. If we had known how limited we would have gone else where. So, just make sure you know ahead of time. That said, everything we ordered was great. Most surprising was how yummy the hot dogs were :) Definitely will return to experience the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!Foodie6VIPDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant is great, not that I would expect anything less from the folks that established jmCurley and Bin 26 Enoteca! The beer and wine list is great, the smoked bluefish pate was incredible, the sliders were cooked perfectly, the cornbread just melted in your mouth, the waffle fries...gahhh...everything was amazing, including the service - from the host to our server to the backwaiters. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- MediocreCarlyDined on 6/19/2014Food was just so-so, restaurant didn't feel like anything special. Pimm's cup slushies were the best part of the night, I wouldn't recommend going for a full meal.
- great food, cool spot, bad serviceBVillageNeighborDined on 6/7/2014we have really loved this place since it opened - go there frequently and normally have a great time. this was our first time there on a busy saturday night though and the service was pretty terrible. we waited almost 45 minutes for drinks alone and then another 30 minutes to try to order. it was a busy night and seemed like there was only one or two servers for a packed patio so hopefully they will get this figured out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough!emmmmmDined on 5/31/2014I love Merrill's friendly staff, deeeeelicious food, and how much fun it is - whether a tuesday or a saturday night! The whole fish is seriously packed with flavor, I want the recipe for that cauliflower, and want to try everything on the menu.. again.Special Features:
- Simply: avoid it!XavierVIPDined on 5/24/2014Went to this place on Saturday because a friend could not afford another selection at the Mandarin hotel. I thought it was going to be an OK experience but the noise level is unbearable, had to yelled at the poor waitress to get my order; food: mediocre at best, greasy and nothing special; drinks: look like a sample size- go with the wine [it was the decent part of my dinner] if you find yourself here. If you can help it, avoid it!
- The following 31 reviews are from the Merrill & Co. reviews archive.
- Prices are Too HighTyler1VIPDined on 5/15/2014Thought the pricing for the small plates was much too high. Mussels for $18? Did not order but can't imagine that they are better or that you get more than the ones at Myers & Chang and other competitors. Maybe they are counting on the drinking crowd and not the food. Caesar salad was mediocre and very strong on the anchovies so don't order if you like yours on the less aggressive side. The chicken disk was good with very good biscuits but the chocolate fudge dessert was a disappointment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey bar, with little food choiceJackVIPDined on 5/14/2014This spot is a drinking destination, as easily seen from the number of liquor drinks vs. food (four to one!), and pricey as well. A juice-glassed pouring of iced tea for $4.50? Are they serious? Well, no. All of the few food choices are meant to be shared, so if one person doesn't like an item, you're stuck. The offerings weren't anything you couldn't make at home, honestly. And the noise level? Think high school shower room. Dining, no; eating, just barely. Sad to say, a real rip-off.
- Happy Eats!BostonGalDined on 5/4/2014My boyfriend and I stopped by Merrill & Co. for an early Sunday dinner and loved everything about it. Because we headed in so early, we had the place "to ourselves," which allowed some good chats with our server and other employees, all of whom were very friendly and knowledgeable. After ordering a couple gin cocktails, our server made some recommendations both on and off their drink menu and we loved both of them. The food was supreme - our ceviche and oysters were unbelievable, and our main dish, a shared plate of pork ribs with macaroni and cheese and delectable waffle fries, was exactly what we were looking for. Hoping to see more great things from this spot as it becomes a stronghold in the South End. P.S. Thanks for the sherry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All over the map….SouthEndFoodieDined on 5/1/2014It's really unclear who Merrill & Company wants to serve with this mishmash of menu, ambiance and service. Open Table's summary description is WAY OFF - it's not a "seafood venture" at all, and it should definitely not be labeled "seafood" under the "cuisine" category. My wife and I had a pretty good, but not memorable, meal; service was good except please don't call us "guys" 25 times in one dining experience. We just don't get the menu. There's one of everything, from oysters to fried chicken, but only one (OK, they did have 3 varieties of oysters…), so it's not like you can rely on there being, say 4-6 good seafood options to choose from on the menu when you go. I definitely recommend you check out the menu BEFORE going.Special Features:
- Solid OutingBostonseanachieDined on 4/27/2014Lunched here on a Sunday -- creative cocktails, solid wine list with a mix of standbys and interesting finds, fare is a kind of faux southern -- grits made more palatable for northern taste, spicy deviled eggs on a pickle bed, fried chicken and biscuits (one piece moist, the other slightly overcooked, and an awesome purple and green cauliflower dish. Great bar area and good space. Earnest staff, but they need to give the bartenders a break, since the cocktails take so long to craft, that should be the bartenders only role. Other staff should support the bartender better. But considering the place's newness, they really have pulled it together well.Special Features:
- Food was mediocrePotz87Dined on 4/27/2014We ordered a couple of salads, and they were not good. The Caesar salad was overly dressed.
- Confused themeBostonAASVIPDined on 4/24/2014The food was very good and the staff was great and attentive. The theme of the food was a little confusing. It was tasty but a little all over the map.
- Yum!JaniceDined on 4/18/2014I took my sister here for her birthday! She is very picky! The menu is very limited, but extremely yummy and well prepared. The portions were just right. We started with the black pepper caesar salad with real anchovies ! Perfect amount of dressing, and very tasty. Then we got the crab dip, and mussels! These were the best mussels I have ever had! Again, good size portion, and spicey enough for me, and mild enough for my sister ! We used all the grilled faccacia bread for dipping into the mussel pot! Then main course was a full white fish grilled to perfection with a lime salsa on the side ! Yum! The service was awesome as well! Try the Bourbon cocktail! We will be back soon! JaniceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it, but won't be backL02118VIPDined on 4/17/2014Went to Merrill & Co for drinks and apps prior to a show at Calderwood. We were seated right away. To start, they have only been open about 6 wks, so things are sure to change, but server was unfamiliar with cocktails, mistake with our cocktail order, but this was rectified easily. He just didn't seem very confident with being a server. Ambiance was very diner-y. Not my favorite. Also there were two tables with lots of children, which I wasn't expecting. That kind of ruined any cocktail hour ambiance it may have. Food was average to below average. Had crab dip and hamachi. I will say that the deviled eggs were good. Nothing special. Drinks: we had the chipiona, 2 stones and Jim rose. The best of those was Jim rose.
- New Faveb1mdDined on 4/12/2014Second visit in a week. Staff very friendly. Loved the food. Pork belly and the asparagus were both amazing! 1st visit sat at the counter by the oven and that was a bit warm, but nice conversation with sous chef Tyler made it a fun experience. These guys are obviously serious about the food. Second visit was with larger group (8) and sat at hightop counter. Narrow long table made conversation with group a challenge, so would ask for a regular table when going with more than 6. Nice addition to the South End. Looking forward to the next visit so I can try the ribeye.Special Features:
- Complete misfire. It was deafeninglResbdroneVIPDined on 4/12/2014Complete misfire. It was deafeningly loud, the shared plate idea is a tired one, not to mention a truly uninspired menu and format. So bad we walked out.
- VERY ACCOMODATINGcas12Dined on 4/12/2014The hostess and the manager were amazing! Our group changed from 4 people to 9 on a busy Saturday night and they were so acommodating, and gave us an incredible table despite the last minute change. Really impressive service! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the shared dishes. itOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/5/2014Loved the shared dishes. it was a fun way to have dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!MonetaVIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our first visit to Merrill & Co., and we are looking forward to another visit. The fried smelt and grilled octopus were especially good! It's a nice addition to the South End restaurant scene.Special Features:
- Great for groupsBeetDined on 4/4/2014The jump offs are great for sharing with a bunch of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.