25485 Telegraph Road
Southfield, MI 48034Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 2483581310x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday – Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Robert Gordon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Meriwether's
A landmark on Telegraph Road for more than 30 years, Meriwether’s provides a comfortable, down-home ambiance in the style of an English Country Inn. Meriwether’s specializes in fresh fish and seafood delicacies such as Salmon Rockefeller, Maryland Crab Cakes and Dynamite Scallops as well as tender steaks, pastas, sandwiches and salads. The famous Teacup Bread, served with honey-cinnamon butter, is a trademark recipe from the original restaurant. With four private rooms available, Meriwether’s is also the perfect location for special events – from business meetings and power lunches to parties, banquets and receptions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Meriwether's - Best Restaurants in Southfield ›
Meriwether's reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (25)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (12)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Off Nightcustomer4Dined on 8/18/2014Generally the service is very good, but last Monday was the worst service I had experience from any restaurant in a long time. Waited 15 for the waitress to even acknowledge we were there. Most restaurants will serve the ladies first, but this waitress acted at random with the orders and then with the meals. When she brought our food to the table, she asked us to pick up our salad plates so she could put our food down. Other tables that arrived after us already left while we waited for our bill at the end.Special Features:
- My pasta dish was fabulous! Mange'YodasNanaDined on 8/15/2014I rarely eat my entire meal but this time my plate was clean!! And I love the cinnamon butter for the rolls. We will return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-but needs 2 B remodeled!ValentinerDined on 8/7/2014Food is good - would recommend for that alone -- however the decorations and furniture are older than I am!! Way overdue for a remodel!
- ElizabethDined on 7/31/2014I was looking forward to a special lunch out with some friends. The place looks nice and service is still good. However the food was disappointing. Two of us had salads that were (literally ) swimming in dressing. Worst of all, the teacup bread was dry and stale! Too mediocre for the place and price.
- ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Good service and pleasant servers at the bar while waiting on a person in our party. Perfect table for the 4 of us and the appetizers and meals were excellent. I would go every week if I could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dhowieDined on 7/27/2014Brought 2 gentlemen from Germany and they were very pleased with the dinner. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Good foodGoFishDined on 7/22/2014All of our group of 6 had seafood of some kind. My salmon was excellent.Special Features:
- Greatmafjfk1VIPDined on 7/5/2014Awesome. Best dining experience in the State of Michigan. From the bread to the appetizer to the main course. It was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My special BirthdayKysbirthdayDined on 7/5/2014I am nine years old. I wanted to eat at this restaurant because my parents went there before. I really loved it. I like it better than Golden Corral.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood spotWhoKnowsDined on 7/2/2014One of Chuck Muer's restaurants, which specialize in seafood in an upscale setting. Quiet so can have a nice conversation, although not many in the place this night. However, on prior trips, have not had any problems hearing. Attentive and courteous service to bring well prepared dinners.Special Features:
- No passion.SavvyabsDined on 6/23/2014The waitstaff seemed uninterested, our seafood was old/bad, prime rib tasted reheated, uninspired menu. I was really hoping for an old school steak/seafood experience- with classic choices and some creative options as well... And the decor was just about there, the wood and stained glass were cool. But the attention to detail missed the mark... The chef should have never let food leave the kitchen in the condition ours was in... I think the age of the patrons is pretty telling, we were the only table under 70- I'm guessing the reputation was better and there are loyal customers from way back when, but now they can't taste.
- great foodnitaDined on 6/15/2014I enjoyed dinner the setting is really old chairs uncomfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedMartyDined on 5/31/2014Door man and hostess gave nice smiles, maître 'd brought me to a very pleasant table, quiet, comfortable, set off from others, under a window which though colored plate glass (I prefer clear views onto a garden or woods) was nice and bright. Waitress was excellent, very friendly, personable, enthusiastic, looked after my party of 4 closely enough but not overboard, and overall ambience was under-stated rich and fine. Meals--we had seasoned shrimp appetizer (very good), I had prime rib and shrimp tempura (both very good), and my friends' dishes (salmon, chicken) looked very good, all enjoyed, no complaints of any kind. After dinner coffee (very good). I would certainly go back, my friends have gone # times.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceJeriVIPDined on 5/30/2014My friend and I shared a wonderful birthday (for both of us) dinner at Meriwethers. Great food, ambience, and perfect service by Mary. And they even had each of our names printed on the top of the menu - a very classy and thoughtful touch.Special Features:
- Great spot for drinks and dinnerMovingonDined on 5/29/2014Wonderful food. Pecan trout was super. Sat and talked for hours while enjoying drinks and dinner. Never felt rushed.Special Features:
- Wait StaffcarpVIPDined on 5/28/2014our wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable about menu. Heard I was celebrating a birthday and brought a candle with dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeriwethersluvgoodfoodDined on 5/28/2014It is nice to know that some things never change and the deliciousness of Meriwether's food is one.Special Features:
- Wonderful night out.BarberBillDined on 5/24/2014Our appetizers and dinners were wonderful. First class! That and a pleasant ambiance made for a special night out. That and a bottle of wonderful wine and it just doesn't get any better than that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodfamilydinerDined on 5/24/2014WE had a very nice dinner but thought the time between courses was rather lengthy. The restaurant has a nice relaxed quiet atmosphere where you want to linger over your dining experience but there is a limit to the lingering time between courses can be long. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful in the choices we made for our dinner. she was well versed and knowledge about everything on the menu and the day specials. IF you visit the restaurant be sure you have left enough time to enjoy the experience.Special Features:
- worst service i have ever hadthrealcriticDined on 5/23/2014The waitress was the absolute worse. Forgot that we ordered food several times, notified her of allergy and told me 2 separate dishes did mot contain my allergy when they did. Still tried to charge us them got an attitude and started clearing our table including my full glass of water whole we were sitting there and my bill was I'm her handSpecial Features:
- Great seafoodJPfrenchDined on 5/15/2014Excellent oysters from Virginia and fantastic sole! The Chenin blanc from California was also greatSpecial Features:
- Retro vibesdaaVIPDined on 5/11/2014Although Meriwether's had been around for a long time, I first discovered it about a month ago when I dropped in for an early dinner. The food was very good & the service was excellent. We decided to try again on Mother's Day, when the restaurant was busier but not overly crowded. The food was still very good, but this time the service was very slow. The server rarely came to the table, I had to inquire about our entrees & ask for the bill to other staff members. The server still did not realize that we were ready to go so I handed her the bill while she was talking to a co-worker. My Mom said she thought the food was good but the service wasn't. I can't recommend this place due to the poor service.
- Good but not the BestOhioFoodieDined on 5/11/2014Went for a mother's day dinner. The food was good and the service was better. Some dishes were better than others. A filet ordered medium rare was medium. The blackened whitefish was ordered just slightly spicy and was very much enjoyed. Our waitress did an excellent job. It seemed to take a while for dinner to come out, so the slightly overcooked steak was accepted without complaint. I might go back on a less crowded day and give them another chance.
- Really nice Mother's DayjudyfoodieDined on 5/11/2014Had a lovely Mother's Day with my husband and two VERY hungry young adult sons. Satisfied everyone in the party, especially the foodies. Food was delicious and plentiful. Lots of choices. Nice atmosphere and even though it was very full, it was relaxing and rather subdued and cozy. The wait staff was so skilled that they didn't seem hurried or off game. I felt like I was at an establishment that has done fine dining well for a successfully long time.Special Features:
- ServiceLoveditVIPDined on 5/11/2014My Mother's Day was NOT a good one in regards to Meriweather's. The waitress was rude, distant, short, & the manager seemed to appease her. She had an issue with us switching tables in the very beginning when there were several vacant. She placed the dessert menu down on the table & did not say anything, we waited more than an hour to order & get rolls. Our service was obviously slower than the two tables that came after us, were served before us, & had left when we were just getting our food. There were only five of us, we didn't have salads or appetizers, only our dinners? I had great service years ago in the private room & can't imagine WHY the service was SO horrible AND on Mother's Day? Now what do we do with this information?
- Was Expecting BrunchDWPeasDined on 5/11/2014Got standard fare. Thought search for mother's day brunch restaurants came up with list including Meriwether's, so was expecting buffet with breakfast and dinners choices. Can't prove it now. Mother pleased anyway.Special Features:
- DebiDined on 5/6/2014Pretty common but with terrible service. The place was empty, but we were really a bother for our server, who mostly hid out of site. The menu and food were totally uninspired. It's important to note however that the neighborhood doesn't have many options, so if you are in that area and want to dine nearby, you don't have many choices.
- The following 281 reviews are from the Meriwether's reviews archive.
- Once was a great place for seafood.SandyDined on 5/4/2014Ran out of the weekend special at 4pm, while open until 9 or 10 pm, received 3 shrimp instead of 3 as stated on menu..............Had dine there for over 30 years off and on., but NEVER again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Landry should shut it down...
- 2bornot2bDined on 5/3/2014Superb food and service. I would highly recommend Meriwether'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The chef's preparations are something unique everyone should experience. New flavors and tastes abound. The wait staff is exceptional-friendly and most competent.Special Features:
- Always a great place to eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014One of our favorite places to eat lunch & we try always get the same waitstaff who is the best.Special Features:
- Excellent LunchLunchDined on 4/24/2014Food was very good and the atmosphere was very nice. Greatly enjoyed the lunch thereSpecial Features:
- Easter SundayfoodcriticDined on 4/20/2014The service was very slow. We waited a long time to order, then a long time to receive salads/soups and then a longer time to receive main course food. We have been to this restaurant many times in the past and the food and service were superb, this time it seemed that everything had changed. For Easter Sunday, the restaurant was not even very full, to possibly account for the slow service. Food was mediocre, some was cold, the steaks were tough, salmon was absolutely tasteless. I had dover sole, which was gray and tasted like it had been frozen along time. We all were very disappointed, considering the food and service were perfect in prior visits.Special Features:
- Dine with a party of 5.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014All dishes delicious and everyone was very please. The bread still holds its reputation for the best on Telegraph. Couldn't get enough of it. the Salad and soup was perfect taste and freshness. The meals ordered by each person made a wonderful presentation which elevated the flavor of the meal. A Meal well served and well received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter at Meriwether'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014The food wasn't good, it lacked seasoning (watery, bland taste). The restaurants smells like old, wet wood and old pipes. The waitstaff is very friendly and attentive (although there weren't many patrons there at 2pm on Easter Sunday).
- Consistently great experienceLindaLDined on 4/20/2014Last year my mother was in rehab, so we chose to go to Meriweather's based on convenience and availability. We enjoyed it so much, we elected to go back there this year on Easter. It was a really nice experience once again - the service is great and the food was really good. Everyone enjoyed their selection. I cannot say enough nice things about the service - our waitress, Kathy, was not only friendly, but professional and solicitous. Overall, it was a great experience and a nice way to enjoy the Easter celebration. I would also like to compliment the valet person - he was VERY patient and nice regarding getting my elderly mother out of the car. It was really appreciated.Special Features:
- OutstandingShep1Dined on 4/17/2014My husband & I visited for his birthday. Neither of us had ever dined here before & I must say our experience was wonderful. Everything from the drinks to the appetizer to the main course was exceptional. We had the cook come out to tell him hats off, because everything we ate just melted in your mouth. Our waitress Renee was spot on, friendly & very knowledgable about the menu. It was like being on a first date all over again. If you've never experienced the food & service at Meriwether's I suggest you do so. You won't be disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JJM0226Dined on 4/16/2014The host greeted us warmly and sat us promptly. Mary, our server, was very attentive and had a good sense of humor. The meals were hot, fresh and delicious, featuring shrimp cocktail, crabcake and their signature soups. The entrees were also delicious, pecan crusted trout and the seafood trio. We washed it down with a bottle of Washington State's Ste. Michelle Winery's Riesling. Crème Brule was a perfect ending. Overall our experience was everything we expected for the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/15/2014I was very appreciative of all the staff as I had 3 folks over 86 and the location of the table was wonderful for that group. PSpecial Features:
- Fine dining experienceCommanderDined on 4/11/2014Once again, we had a fine dining experience at Meriwether's. We like Muer's restaurants, and I particularly enjoyed the whitefish. The place doesn't have the look or feel of a chain restaurant, and all personnel treated us as though we were welcome friends and not just customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.