Meritage - Philadelphia
500 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Meritage - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meritagephiladelphia.com/
- Phone: 2159851922x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday : 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Adam Rotmoko
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Two private rooms seating 18 and 40 or entire dining available seating up to 60 guests *Several 3 course menu options available or ala carte for smaller group. We also can do a walk around reception with passed hors d' oeuvre's and stations.
- Private Party Contact: Michele DiPietro 2159851922x
- Special Events: We invite you to have your special event or holiday party with us!
A word from Meritage - Philadelphia
Casual and relaxing atmosphere with excellent service. Meritage has a wonderful seasonal menu including starters, small and large plates. Many dishes are great to share. To match these dishes, there is an interesting wine list suiting all your preferences. Bar and outdoor seating is also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Meritage - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Meritage - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (33)romantic (23)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (17)special occasion (16)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- RichieRichRichieRichDined on 10/18/2014This is one of great small restaurants in the city. It has everything the "Rittenhouse Square" scene wishes it had: tasteful, subdued elegance, an exciting, upscale menu, great wine list, owners who know you and appreciate your visit, impeccable service. Always consistent and worth returning to, I recommend it constantly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!!Bar2dineVIPDined on 10/14/2014From the minute we walked in, greated by the owners, we felt so welcome! The service was attentive without being intrusive. Food was well paced, seasonal and fresh. Great neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT FOOD & SERVICEBar2dineVIPDined on 10/10/2014Went for my parents anniversary dinner and had a wonderful time! Great starters and small plates for sharing. Server was friendly and informative and helped make our night special. We will return! Great neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest TastingbobsmojoVIPDined on 10/10/2014I receive emails from Meritage regularly when they offer a new chef's tasting menu and have always enjoyed meals there. The Harvest menu in October was no different -- excellent as usual! The staff is always courteous and the service is always excellent. Meritage is a fantastic place to dine.Special Features:
- bad experienceTe2paleDined on 10/4/2014The place is nice but the food and service are not there. When we get there the menú was completely diferent from what we saw on line. Very disappointed. It took forever to get the food.Special Features:
- Beef Bourguignon?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Both of my dining partners enjoyed their meals, but not me. Do not ever order the Beef Bourguignon. It tasted like beef broth poured over morsels of 4 tiny pieces of meat, onions, carrots and potatoes. The beef broth was not even flavorful, very light tan in color and definitely no hint of full-bodied red wine or seasonings. It's was the worst attempt at making this dish I've ever experienced. Very disappointing! Service, not! The waiter took our order then returned to table five minutes after taking the order to restate our order to make sure he had it correctly. We shared that we had theatre tickets and it fell on deaf ears.
- Good food, meh servicemjmangoDined on 9/19/2014I tried Meritage for the first time on a friday night during restaurant week. -Yummy, satisying food (fois gras ravioli and porkchop w/ kale) -disappointing dessert (chocolate pot o creme) -the tables were EXTREMELY close together, and dining room we sat in was too loud to hold a conversation comfortably- my friend and I had to repeat ourselves to each other constantly. Our table was also in a very awkward corner of the room. -In addition, my friend and I both noticed that while our server addressed her (caucasian) in a very friendly way- the tone toward me (black) was quite different. No obvious distain was detected- I simply felt like an afterthought and it was perceptible to both of us. That, coupled with our table placement....:(
- THIS is why I love Restaurant Week:lampreaveDined on 9/18/2014I probably wouldn't not have otherwise tried this place, and I am SO GLAD that I did! The food was divine, the service was top-notch and friendly, and the menu was full of dishes I would like to try...which means I WILL be back! Do yourself a favor and order the bread pudding for dessert; seriously, it's the best I have had in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemMomofsamiamDined on 9/12/2014We went to Meritage for restaurant week. It's local to us , but we don't eat there often. The portions had seemed small and the food too precious. We were very pleased on this visit to see diverse and interesting offerings that were delicious and more substantial ! The calamari appetizer and the beet and goat cheese appetizer were great . The entree salmon was perfectly prepared and served with delicious sides. Dessert was heavenly - a peanut butter ganache and a bread pudding were our choices. The wait staff was friendly and professional . We will be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemPHLphoodieDined on 9/12/2014My husband & I walked to Meritage for a spur of the moment al fresco dinner on a beautiful evening. Service was attentive but unobtrusive. Food was excellent, especially the Foie Gras Dumplings, Pan Seared Salmon with gnocchi Parisienne & Brown Sugar Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel gelato. Nice wine list & selection of craft beers & seasonal cocktails. Fortunate to have this neighborhood gem within walking distance of our home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealKateVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a great meal Thursday night. The Restaurant week menu was terrific. The service and the bread pudding were both great and we look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014We had reservations at 5:30 when the noise level was "conversational". Unfortunately, as the restaurant filled up there were several tables at which diners were speaking in elevated tones which made the last part of the experience less pleasant. The food was fabulous! The service was terrific. We will definitely return in hopes that the noisemakers will not.Special Features:
- MehlazlotothDined on 9/6/2014We four had at best a mixed experience. Two friends who ordered the lamb rib special were hugely disappointed--it was extremely fatty and they were hungry afterwards. My husband, who had the tasting menu, fared better and enjoyed fois gras ravioli and Amish chicken. I very much enjoyed appetizers of watermelon/cucumber and beets; my entrée salmon was fine, a bit boring and nothing special. Bread pudding dessert was yummy. Our server started off sweetly enough, but made several errors and then after our dinner plates were cleared, we sat for 20 minutes before finally I asked the busboy to find our disappeared server. I love the idea of neighborhood venues, but there is too much competition in town to need to go back. It was also noisy
- Girl's Night Before PlaylovefoodDined on 9/6/2014Three of us dined at Meritage prior to attending a show. Loved the atmosphere. It was quiet since we were early. Food was good. I had the pork chop, while others had the scallops. Everyone enjoyed the meal but didn't think it was off the charts. BUT the dessert, a delicious bread pudding was devoured within seconds! Service was good, very attentive. Would try again but there are so many spots to try.Special Features:
- Fantastic Meal at MeritageJDSDDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely delicious meal at Meritage on Saturday night (8/23). As my husband said, "there was not a bad bite of food"---everything was so flavorful. I had the Pork Loin over mashed sweet potatoes and fresh sweet corn on the cob. The pork was excellent. Service was spectacular as well. We shared a cheese platter (complete with green olives) and a small plate pork pasta dish. The pasta dish had so much shredded pork and in my opinion it was not a small plate. We were not rushed at the end of our meal and were able to unwind and enjoy our time together savoring our wonderful meal. A colleague recommended it and we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/19/2014Good food, good wine and good recommendations. Big mirror - saw everything that went on behind me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!EugMarqDined on 8/16/2014We loved it! Everything was very tasty and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichieRichRichieRichDined on 8/16/2014Meritage is a gem in the Center City restaurant world, just a short walk from Rittenhouse Square and so well worth the escape from the madness the square has become. The food is elegant, and fairly priced, the service is impeccable yet not invasive, the bar is beautifully appointed and stocked. This is a rare restaurant, managed and owned by two wonderful professionals who always remember your name, your favorite table, and are appreciative of your visit. A must visit.Special Features:
- OverpricedRestauranteurDined on 8/12/2014I thought the food was pricey for the quality - not outstanding. I wouldn't go back here. There are better restaurants in Philly at the same price point.
- Excellent service!KarlosluckVIPDined on 8/7/2014the food here is always delicious. Highly recommended, but for us it is always the service that makes us come back. We ate at the bar and the owners themselves were our servers and bartenders. Delightful and very charming!!Special Features:
- ExcellentFavoriteplaceDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Meritage many times and have NEVER been disappointed. Great place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Delightful Bistro near RittenhouseBern16Dined on 7/16/2014We have visited Meritage on a number of occasions and have been more than pleased with every meal. The menu is varied and interesting. Perhaps the best part about Meritage (excellent menu aside) is the staff. Always courteous, knowledgeable and professional. This starts right from the top with charming owners Michelle and Eileen. Even on busy nights, Meritage is always accommodating and quite fun. We rate this gem as a must visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barryfurrowDined on 7/5/2014Great meal, and a very pleasant waitress. Always a good value as well as great taste.Special Features:
- Great place, great food!DannyboyVIPDined on 6/27/2014Once again, this place does not disappoint. I love it for everything from its cozy atmosphere, great service, to its wonderful food and wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceBar2dineVIPDined on 6/26/2014Excellent experience from start to finish. Attentive and friendly service. The food was beautifully prepared and very tasty. Most of the items are great to share! Great neighborhood restaurant, so get there now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 738 reviews are from the Meritage - Philadelphia reviews archive.
- Great food in a romantic nookOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014The food is terrific: we went there and every single thing we had was perfect, from roasted string beans to the bread pudding. Wine was excellent as well. And the small size, and subdued, quiet atmosphere made it a particularly romantic setting. We'll be going back, to be sure.Special Features:
- MeritageChasDined on 6/14/2014Excellent for dinner in the neighborhood- a real asset in this areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super pleasantVinsMomVIPDined on 6/13/2014We both had the lobster tasting menu and it was delicious. With the nice wine, the dinner could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing in the middlephoodieDined on 6/12/2014Our first visit since Anne Coll left, and very disappointing. We went for the lobster tasting menu with high hopes. Though the amuse bouche and dessert were excellent, all the dishes in between were a little off: lobster bisque had a bitter taste, tempura was a little mushy and we could barely taste the lobster, and most disappointing of all for the main course, the cocoa in the sauce totally overwhelmed the lobster.
- food greatMickiVIPDined on 6/12/2014We did a lobster tasting, and the food was awesome. They brought out each course, too quickly, and we felt a bit rushed. I would go back, but not for a tasting. Too expensive and very small portions, but delicious.Special Features:
- Lackluster Lobster tastingFitlerSquareVIPDined on 6/12/2014It pains me to write this because I've enjoyed dining at Meritage for many years, but had a pretty lack luster dinner last week with my son. We were lured in by the lobster tasting menu. The service was, as always, attentive without being intrusive, the wine recommendations spot on. Though the menu got off to a good start with a tasty amuse, the bisque was just plain off and we commented to our waiter when she cleared. One of the owners asked about is and commented that she had tasted it the day before and it was fine. I elaborated on the gritty texture, off flavors (old carrot comes to mind) and declined something else. The poached lobster entree was under done, almost gelatinous. Dessert was tasty but too it was too little too late.
- Just lovelyBajaDined on 6/7/2014We met friends for an early dinner. My husband uncharacteristically clicked on the Open Table option to buy flowers, since it was my birthday, and there were beautiful flowers on the table. The staff were so nice. I would say that the menu was pretty limited, even for dessert, so if you are limited in what you eat, you might call ahead to make sure there's something you want on the menu. It's Philadelphia, so this is normal, but I'm always surprised that restaurants can charge so much without even having tablecloths on the tables. Call me old-fashioned.Special Features:
- AfavVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always get an excellent meal with knowledgeable friendly waiters and staff. The wine list is carefully chosen and prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful RestaurantRichieRichDined on 5/31/2014Meritage is a beautiful restaurant, elegant yet somehow comfortably low-key. It is a refreshing break from the Rittenhouse Square restaurant madness, and the quality and presentation of the entrees is well worth the 4 block walk from the square. The prices compete with the Square, especially the drinks, but the relaxed ambiance, friendliness of the owners, who are always on site, and the attentiveness of the staff exceed one's expectations. A world class experience indeed and well worth frequent return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too little too expensivejz22Dined on 5/31/2014The food tasted and looked very ordinary but was very pricey.Special Features:
- Always innovative and deliciousOutstandingDined on 5/13/2014First time here since the restaurant reopened. The dining area was unchanged (all remodeling was done to the kitchen), which is good because the room is very nice. The menu was a little more streamlined, but, as ever, the dishes were delicious. This is a place where I feel free to experiment rather than going to tried and true favorites. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- HiddentreasureDined on 5/10/2014The food was fresh, beautifully presented, and delicious.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointingKateVIPDined on 5/6/2014We have been dining at Meritage for years as always enjoyed a great meal until the other night. I dined with my son and both of us had entrees that were terrible. I had the lamb chops and he had short ribs. The meats were tough and barely edible. They just reopened after renovating the space and we hope that particular evening was merely an aberration!
- satisfied veganAlexDined on 5/6/2014Although they didn't have the usual Tuesday night vegan tasting menu I was able to find good options that made up a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ll at our table had the tastingShotgunsladeDined on 3/1/2014ll at our table had the tasting menu. Outstanding.Special Features: