Meritage - Philadelphia
500 South 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Meritage - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meritagephiladelphia.com/
- Phone: (215) 985-1922
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday : 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Adam Rotmoko
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Two private rooms seating 18 and 40 or entire dining available seating up to 60 guests *Several 3 course menu options available or ala carte for smaller group. We also can do a walk around reception with passed hors d' oeuvre's and stations.
- Private Party Contact: Michele DiPietro 2159851922x
- Special Events: We invite you to have your special event or holiday party with us!
A word from Meritage - Philadelphia
Casual and relaxing atmosphere with excellent service. Meritage has a wonderful seasonal menu including starters, small and large plates. Many dishes are great to share. To match these dishes, there is an interesting wine list suiting all your preferences. Bar and outdoor seating is also available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Meritage - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)fit for foodies (38)notable wine list (22)romantic (22)special occasion (19)great for outdoor dining (15)good for groups (12)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- It was our first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2009It was our first time dining at Meritage. The waitress was very helpful. She helped me narrow down my choices and suggested a great wine pairing. The interior was warm: dark but not too quiet. The pictures on the wall look like they could have been in her living room, and the vibrant red/orange of the walls made me feel warm. I highly recommend the butterfish - the caramelized onions, salsify, and fish flesh provide an interesting melding of tastes and textures. The next time we go, we will definitely be checking out the bar, which looks quite nice.
- The food was excellent, andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/14/2009The food was excellent, and the ambiance was beautiful! My entire group ate our entire entree and decided we would def be back!Special Features:
- Food was delicious just aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2009Food was delicious just a bit pricey for what you get. I definitely do not recommend buying wine as they charge upwards of 3 times shelf price which is absolutely outrageous. Staff and ambiance were wonderful if you're looking for a quiet, romantic dinner setting.Special Features:
- The food was great, especiallyMattDined on 2/6/2009The food was great, especially the scallop appetizer. The service was great as well.Special Features:
- Wonderful price fixed wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/6/2009Wonderful price fixed wine and food pairing menu. Really great dining experience. Would highly recommend to all who enjoy fine food and wine.Special Features:
- We went for restaurant weekedgarbmanDined on 1/30/2009We went for restaurant week and given the value of that it was a good experience. However the service had some weak spots and if we had paid full price i think it would have been a disappointment. Also, i recognize the need to make a profit on alcohol but selling a $15 Alsace Trimbach Pinot Blanc for $45? Seriously?
- This was my first time diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/29/2009This was my first time dining at Meritage and the food very good. I'm not a "tartar" anything but I tried the Tuna Tartar and it was wonderful, as was the hanger steak. Meritage has a nice wine menu as well. My only negative would be that the wines were a bit over priced. They would do their customers a great service if they brought down the wine prices by about 15-25% as the mark-up they are getting on these are probably in the 200-300% range right now.Special Features:
- I love the relaxed feel ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/27/2009I love the relaxed feel of this place - dark, small and cozy, excellent for a romantic dinner or to go out with friends. The ambiance is great and the food is fantastic. My husband like their gnocchi so much he took some for lunch, and my steak was perfectly cooked. I will definitely go back and try more of their dishes!Special Features:
- We ate early on a Monday evening,LOUYDined on 1/26/2009We ate early on a Monday evening, so it was fairly quiet. The food was outstanding, as was the ambience and our server was wonderful. It is rare that empty dinner plates are left at the table until everyone is finished and our server seemed to recognize this finer point of dining. Iusually have to ask servers to wait until everyone is finished.... A great experienceSpecial Features:
- Great dining experience, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2009Great dining experience, very romantic,great staff. I highly recommend the Meritage. Thanks T NealSpecial Features:
- We had a four-course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/23/2009We had a four-course tasting menu with wine pairings. Two of the four courses were excellent: seared scallops over creamy risotto, and thinly sliced kobe beef. But the other two were underwhelming. The wine pairings were also underwhelming. We'd have done better just buying a good bottle from the list. I found the atmosphere so laid back as to be almost boring. It didn't seem like anyone was having a particularly fabulous time. Our server was knowledable and just attentive enough.Special Features:
- Amazing food with a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/16/2009Amazing food with a wonderful atmosphere! Compliments to the chef! We will be back!
- Meritage is always a delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/11/2009Meritage is always a delightful place to dine. The wait staff is great.Special Features:
- The menu was very small andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/10/2009The menu was very small and rather inaccessible. I assumed with such a small menu there would be a few specials, but there were none. The staff was very nice and accommodating.Special Features:
- I have to say the overallIrishtiggerVIPDined on 1/10/2009I have to say the overall experience was outstanding. The service was on key 95% of the time and they are willing to work with your particular dining requests. Though one item that I must 'blog' about are the sweet potatoes -- they were unbelieveable.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding,PhillydinerVIPDined on 12/27/2008The food was outstanding, although i thought it was a bit pricey. We spent over $100.00 and only had appetizers and 2 glasses of wine.
- Enjoyed another wonderfulTreviDined on 12/27/2008Enjoyed another wonderful evening at Meritage. We chose the Chef's Testing with wine pairings for the second time and loved it. As was our prior experience, each plate was delicious blend of flavors, the portion sizes were just right. Our first plate was tuna tartar with a chardonnay blend, the second seared scallops over yummy risotto with Cline Red Zin, then melt in your mouth filet with a cabernet reduction served with a Chilean red. The dessert was a dense chocolate torte with orange cream over a thin crisp cookie and a nice glass of port. Service was enjoyable, applying a level of attention that was ‘just right’. Have already recommended this little neighborhood gem to our friends.Special Features:
- If you like good food thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/20/2008If you like good food this is the place. I think it is a Philly gem, excellent food that is reasonably priced and very warm and cozy! The staff is very friendly and the food is always phenomenal. Definitly a great romantic or special occasion restaurant.Special Features:
- Meritage is a great choicedvyknsDined on 12/13/2008Meritage is a great choice for getting together with people you haven't seen in a while. Reliably good food, attentive but not obtrusive service, and an atmosphere conducive to conversation.Special Features:
- This is a wonderful restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/6/2008This is a wonderful restaurant. My husband and I have eaten here twice and we enjoyed the chef's tasting menu with wine both times. We plan to go again for a special occasion. There is reduced-price parking at a garage down the street - check the restaurant's website. We have to drive 100 miles to get to Meritage and this time we were late because of bad weather. We called to let them know and they kept our table for us. We have eaten in many wonderful restaurants in Napa, Sonoma, New Orleans,DC and NYC, and this ranks with the best.Special Features:
- Like coming to this restaurant;smartmanVIPDined on 12/5/2008Like coming to this restaurant; one suggestion and two omments: 1. add more fish to the menu - butterfish has a limited audience - need a striped bass, black bass, halibut and/or trout as a regular special 2. My filet last Friday night was requested as medium and came out overcooked - bordering on well done 3. Server needs a bit more polish
- Meritage was very good. EveryoneBostonDinerDined on 11/14/2008Meritage was very good. Everyone in our party was more than satisfied with his/her dinner. The food, however was quite rich, and two in our party of four said that they suffered after dinner. The wines by the glass were not that great, but our server recommended a terrific wine by the bottle. The atmosphere was elegant, busy but not loud, a bit too dark. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Very acceptable meal and diningraincheckDined on 11/14/2008Very acceptable meal and dining experience. Small improvements would make it much better.
- Noise from the bar was slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/12/2008Noise from the bar was slightly obtrusive in the dining room.
- It was a poor experience.JoemDined on 11/2/2008It was a poor experience. We met family who we hadnt seen for 30 years, both families travelled a long distance to meet in PA. The only reason we booked here was because previous reviews on Open Table indicated the food and service was great! Total let-down. I did not complain; I did not want to create a scene. The food was cold, we had to ask several times for items like ketchup, (this was brunch) toast, hot coffee etc. I ordered 2 poached eggs, the 2nd egg came without the yolk. Totally dismal experience
- I was at Meritage with a groupstephVIPDined on 10/30/2008I was at Meritage with a group from work and the service and food were excellent. Great time was had by all.Special Features:
- Quite acceptable, I'll goPhiladelphiafoodieDined on 10/12/2008Quite acceptable, I'll go back, but missed being great by a mile.
- We've long wanted to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2008We've long wanted to have dinner at Meritage--especially because of their excellent wine list. We were not disappointed: the food was excellent and the wine superb. Its a small place, so it was a little cozy (read: tight) at the bar (we got there early to have a glass of wine and chat before our reservation time), but our table was great and the food was as well--this was during restaurant week, so the options were somewhat limited, but we all loved our meals.Special Features:
- Food was very good - betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2008Food was very good - better than expected. Wine flight was excellent - great choices! Dessert was awesome!! Plan to go back!!Special Features:
- Nothing special on this night.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/19/2008Nothing special on this night. I have enjoyed this restaurant in the past -- this time it was obvious they were just going through the motions and were not up to standard for restaurant week. Our waitress acted completely bored. the bartender was great!
- I assume the food portionspastime7VIPDined on 9/19/2008I assume the food portions for restaurant week were scaled way down. My sliver of salmon was less than 3 inches wide. Our $8 cheese plate had 3 thin triangles of cheese along with a few pieces of fruit and 5 crackers. Our salads were less than half the size they should have been. My wife and I both had to eat something when we got home from dinner. Resaturant Week is supposed to be an opportunity for restaurants to WOW new customers. We WERE WOWED, but as in "WOW!...this is IT?!?" You shouldn't be hungry after spending $115 on dinner! They have a decent wine list by the bottle, but their glass selection is extremely limited. It's also nearly impossible to find a parking spot nearby without paying a garage $15.
- Cozy spot for a nice dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/18/2008Cozy spot for a nice dinner with fantastic, consistent plates and smooth unobtrusive service. Most highly recommended!Special Features:
- The only compliant I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/16/2008The only compliant I have is that we had reservations for 7pm and we were not seated until 730.
- Featuring a gorgeous, intimateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2008Featuring a gorgeous, intimate bar, with a small dining room, Meritage is a very cozy, romantic spot, with excellent food. This past weekend our group had the Butterfish, Seafood Stew, Scallops, and Lamb Chops for main courses. All were exceptionally prepared. The appetizers were also very good. A nice touch at dessert: coffee is served with individual French presses.Special Features:
- We had the best roasted chickenLenoreDined on 8/30/2008We had the best roasted chicken with a wonderful cauliflower/truffle puree, which was superb as well. If you are not sitting near a window, bring a flashlight!Special Features:
- I proposed to my finacee hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2008I proposed to my finacee here on Aug 30th 2008. The restaurant is very quiet. The perfect place to focus on your dinner party. We had the chief's menu with the wine pairings and it was absolutely wonderful. The food with fantastic and the wine's matched the meals perfectly. The wait staff and the kitchen followed our pace vs. forcing a pace on us during the meal. I also had flowers delivered to the resturant and they handled this without a problem. They were setup beautifully at our table. I proposed to her before dessert and the resturant staff had a champaign toast poured for us after she accepted. The combination of quiet ambiance, service, and wonderfully prepared food make the Meritage a perfect place to truly enjoy a evening out.Special Features:
- My first interaction withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2008My first interaction with Meritage was to call to try to get in earlier than our reservation. We were promptly told absolutely no problem. We then arrived just as they opened and were greated warmly and welcomed to the bar. From there, we were taken to our table. We decided to try the 4 course tasting menu. All I can say is that it was incredible. There was not 1 thing negative to say about the food. The rest of the place went along with it. The look, the feel, the service. Very elegant yet comfortable at the same time. I felt very well taken care of but not afraid to laugh out loud. I will for sure return to Meritage every time I am in the Philly!Special Features:
- Very friendly and attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2008Very friendly and attentive service. The menu was small, but had multiple dishes I would have liked to try, over and above my first choice(s). The food was excellent, well prepared and presented. I found the wine list to be extraordinarily overpriced, with very limited choice at any kind of reasonable price (below $40). I don't know how many people will pay over $100 for a bottle of wine, and there were quite a number at more than double that. While the atmosphere and food were excellent, I won't be back - I don't appreciate being gouged on wine, especially as the food was far from inexpensive.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE! I don'tOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/31/2008LOVE THIS PLACE! I don't know why it isn't packed every night because the food here is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite restaurants in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Owner made you feel at homeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/31/2008Owner made you feel at home and that she would not serve food that was less than the best quality. Great corn soup.Special Features: