Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square
48 Monument Square
Concord, MA 01742Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.concordscolonialinn.com/restaurants
- Phone: 9783692373x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Eric Heinrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A convenient Boston area location like no other, Merchants Row at Concord"s Colonial Inn is an ideal function hall in Massachusetts and offers excellent cuisine, unique rooms and exceptional service for your social function.
We provide an elegant yet comfortable environment that's a distinct alternative from hotel chains, country clubs and traditional Massachusetts function halls. We pride ourselves on offering guests an experience unlike any other in the area. We have a charming and uniquely appointed room to meet your needs -- whether you're planning a celebration for 100 or an intimate tea party for 10.
The attentive and friendly staff takes great pride in treating each of our visitors like a VIP. All events, no matter the size, receive the full attention of our entire staff.
Our catering coordinator will work closely with you to help create a successful event that fits your exact needs and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Bourqe 9783692373x
- Entertainment: Join us in the Forge Tavern for nightly musical entertainment Wednesdays through Sundays. Wednesday evenings feature the ongoing "Jimmy Mazzy and the Last Minutemen" and Thursdays will find John Fitzsimmons and his folk-song guests. Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings feature rotating entertainers--all from the local Concord and Boston area. There is no cover charge.
Tuesday evenings feature the popular "Stump Trivia" nights. Join friends--or come as you are--and test your smarts against other guests to win gift certificates. Entertainment runs from 7:30-10:30 Tuesday-Sundays.
- Cross Street: Monument Street and Lowell Road
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our central location, overlooking historic Monument Square in the heart of Concord, will allow your attendees to enjoy the attractions of Concord, Massachusetts, many within walking distance. About 20 miles northwest of Boston, our restaurant is easily accessible by car via Route 2, I-93, I-95/128. Concord is about a half hour"s drive from the New Hampshire border and is easily accessible from northern New England via Route 2, 3 and I-495.
A word from Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square
Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square is open for breakfast, lunch & dinner every day of the week--including holidays. Featuring selections that will please guests of all ages, Merchants Row offers a dining experience in a "Colonial Chic' atmosphere, including not only Merchants Row Dining Room, but also our Middlesex, Alcott, Prescott and Thoreau Dining Rooms. Whether you are joining us for breakfast, a lunch for business or pleasure, or a memorable dinner for personal celebrations or a neighborhood night-out, you will be pleased at the hospitality and seasonal menus found at Merchants Row.Continued
Merchants Row is just one of the newly-launched restaurants at Concord's Colonial Inn. We look forward to serving you soon!
Merchants Row is just one of the newly-launched restaurants at Concord's Colonial Inn. We look forward to serving you soon!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square - Best Restaurants in Concord, MA ›
Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)great for brunch (16)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (9)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (4)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A lovely birthday lunchEleanorDined on 8/20/2014I took my friend out for a birthday lunch and wanted someplace special. The Colonial Inn is lovely inside, the dining room was nice a quiet, the food delicious, and our server, Jasmine, gave us just the right amount of attention. Expensive but worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 7/27/2014The food was delicious and the people were courteous.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceElephantShoesDined on 7/2/2014The dinner menu was more like pub style food. I expected more from such a prestigious restaurant but the food was good. Our waitress was exceptional!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014We hadn't dined here in a long time. Atmosphere was very nice for a quiet dinner for two. Classy table settings. Good wait service. It's hard to get an extra extra dry martini even when you specifically order one, but mine was perfect. The oysters with champagne gelee for a first course were excellent. Our main entrees were good too, although I had my heart set on asparagus carbonara until the waitress realized I had the wrong menu and that wasn't being offered that evening. Mango creme brulee for dessert was superb. We will definitely go again soon.Special Features:
- Great, Awesome, so glad we went!lynnfieldmomDined on 6/28/2014This is an old favorite but we had not been for a long time. Am I glad we went! The food was amazing!!! Everything cound not have been better! The service was excellent! We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014We were entertaining family visiting from Texas so all ages were represents and the menu was varied and everyone enjoyed their meal.Special Features:
- old and wornOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Nice try, but this restaurant is just old and worn. Everything just seems tired. Recipes are poor attempts at modern styles and not very well executed. Our service was very slow, however the other waiter seemed to have his tables well cared for. This place needs an overhaul.
- Perfect spot for breakfast meetingLouiseDined on 6/18/2014Our meeting over breakfast was great. The menu provided wonderful choices, and the staff knew how to move breakfast along at a good pace that allowed us to focus on our meeting discussion points. Wait staff were efficiet and friendly. The omlettes and lox and bagels our party ordered were wonderful and we all enjoyed the perfectly prepare home fries. We also appreciated the non-bread approach, as we are all low carb. Wonderful spot for breakfast or many other types of meetings.Special Features:
- Not as good as it use to bedeedeeVIPDined on 5/25/2014We recently went for Sunday brunch and was disappointed. The taste of the food has declined. The desserts look great but are not good at all. Much of the food was dried out. This was the same experience last time we went and thought they were having an off day but after today we will not be going back. What a sham it used to be good. . The price of $35 is not justified for this buffet. .
- ExcellentDBdiningDined on 5/25/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent environment. We had an excellent time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite what I rememberedmp58Dined on 5/18/2014The food was good but it wasn't quite up to my expectations from prior visits. Except for the prime rib special the servings were smaller than I remember. The dessert selection was good. We were still looking for more to eat after dessert and no one in our party have large appetites. The server was excellent and very accommodating.Special Features:
- Lovely old fashioned colonial placeCambridgianVIPDined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed our dinner with the old standards excellently prepared and served. The dining room is classic New England formal, while not being stuffy. It was nice and quiet for a lovely evening. I had the roast beef, which was reliably good. I would recommend this to anyone visiting Concord and wanting good American fare in a lovely historic location.Special Features:
- Very good dining experiencenhmtnbkrDined on 5/17/2014I recently took a first date here and was very pleased with the overall experience. The food was very well done and came to the table quickly. Presentation of it was excellent and while the meals are somewhat pricey, they don't skimp on their portion size. I had the seared salmon, that was perfectly cooked, with just the right hint of moistness without being mushy. My date enjoyed her dish very much, a soup with oysters. The waiter was perfect, with the right blend of knowledge of the wine list (which is very well picked out), and attentive without being annoying.Special Features:
- Improved but bad coffeelincDined on 5/10/2014We'd not been at the Inn for a long time. The menu has changed a bit and has nice variety. It is significantly pricier, however. The food was good but modest portions for the price. The coffee/decaf after dinner was terrible.Special Features:
- Food impressiveConcordddinerDined on 5/10/2014Excellent food...the new menu is impressive...very modest wine listSpecial Features:
- Overall not very happyWinthropbytheSeaDined on 5/10/2014My husband took me here for Mother's Day (we came on Saturday). I ordered the Lobster Roll (at market price of $24.00) & was very surprised that it was not overflowing with lobster for that price - the lobster meat was placed on top of a fairly large amount of lettuce to make it look overflowing. The french fries were overcooked. My husband ordered the Fish & Chips and was very disappointed with the batter, which had an odd taste & fell off the fish before he could bite into it. The waitress was very friendly, but never brought our drinks and corn bread basket until AFTER our meals were brought to the table. The dining room has a lovely atmosphere but the food was definitely disappointing. Back to the Wayside Inn next time.Special Features:
- Mother's Day LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The food was very disappointing. Steak and burger was overcooked, chicken had no flavor. Prices were ok but wouldn't go back and it's too bad cause we like to take family from out of State to see these types of Inns and restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2014The food was very good and the service was lovely also. It was perfect for my hard of hearing relative because it was not loud. Very nice extended family evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the Merchants Row at 48 Monument Square reviews archive.
- Loved my waiter!!vpouliotDined on 4/25/2014The food was amazing! I had the Slow-Cooked Salmon with Asparagus, crab salad, pistachio, and chili oil, and my sister chose the Braised Short Ribs with Carrot puree, parmesan croquette, and caramelized onions. Succulent! I also enjoyed a smooth Malbec wine, and the foccacia bread and dipping oil was a perfect starter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014We ate there on a busy holiday weekend, but it did not seem to impact the food or presentation. The food was fantastic- impressive chef. The service was slightly off, but only by a touch. The wine list is thin. Prices are low for this quality.Special Features:
- Great food in an elegant atmospheremisspigDined on 4/19/2014If you spend a day in Concord, MA don't fail to eat here, since it's the nicest spot in town and quite affordable. There are several rooms to dine in depending on your taste, but I recommend Merchant's Row which is the more elegant locale. You can choose between the buffet ($22/pp) or the regular lunch menu. Service is wonderful and attentive without being obtrusive. The soups, in particular, are not to be missed.Special Features:
- Bad Start!Teddy7908VIPDined on 3/29/2014We made a reservation for 6:45 and arrived at 6:30. We were told by the maître'd that we were too early and we must wait 20mins. The lobby had no chairs and was set up for a buffet. Because the people who came after us's party wasn't all there the maître'd decided he'd seat us then. We went into the restaurant (which is a maze to get to) and there were open tables everywhere! Also the people he hadn't seated before us was a party of 5-plus. I don't understand why we weren't seated right away. The food was okay, the drinks were expensive and not impressive and the wait staff forgot part of our order. the half sizes are way to small and way to expensive. Overall it was a let down experience and we will not be going back to this restaurant.
- Consider seating reservedTwoWomenDiningAloneDined on 3/28/2014Consider seating reserved parties of two at sunset on the window tables! The place was nearly empty too. Host seated us by the noisy service door in a near-empty dining room on Friday evening. Unfortunate for me---it'll be a while til I want that seat again! Could have been swelegant tho. The seafood soup in saffron broth was delicious and more than made up for anemic salad greens. Wait staff was fine and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium rare cheese burger,Pho5Dined on 3/28/2014Medium rare cheese burger, cooked to charcoal, waiter forgot to bring drink with out a reminder when food came. Big almost empty room, hostess wanted to seat us at a small table for two between a post and a large party of people five inches away. The food on Christmas Eve was fabulous. The food on Valentines Day was truly awful. No consistency. Would not recommend or return because you just don't know what you will get.
- Very nice New England restaurant,SGNYCDined on 3/19/2014Very nice New England restaurant, food and service were excellent. Great place to bring friends from out-of-town for colonial atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningApaolinoDined on 3/19/2014The colonial Inn has a nice atmosphere - I really prefer the beauty of eating on the front porch in nice weather but the dining room is still a great option. Lots of history and relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion EnhancedPRProfDined on 3/14/2014I met a long-time friend, who I hadn't seen in quite a while, for lunch. From our entrance until our departure, the spontaneous and sincere welcome we received from everyone made the occasion even more special. While I wasn't overwhelmed by my lunch choice (a hamburger), everything else was terrific. Special recognition goes to Ms. Shannon Sinnott, the restaurant supervisor, for her warm and welcoming greeting.Special Features:
- Everything was great exceptlewsDined on 3/9/2014Everything was great except the featured red velvet cake, you could not taste chocolate. I thought it was a German chocolate cake with red coloring, it tasted like a white or yellow cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time and we'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/9/2014This is our second time for Sunday brunch at the Colonial Inn and we loved it. The food is delicious and has great variety, the service is friendly and attentive, and we enjoy the open, relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in Concord MAMotherof4Dined on 3/8/2014Four of us went to Merchants Row after browsing the shops in Concord for the afternoon. We had reservations and were seated promptly at 6 p.m. Our server, Paul, was great - efficient, attentive but not obtrusive, and answered our questions as well as made suggestions which were terrific. Dinner was delicious - two of us had the pork loin, one had the salmon, and one had the steak. All meals were cooked perfectly, the timing between appetizers and main dish delivery was perfect, and the wine suggested accompanied our meals beautifully. It was a great dinner, and a wonderful place we look forward to visiting again soon.Special Features:
- too badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014fish and chips, a greasy shell encasing sodden fish, could not eat it. Hanger steak, as tough as shoe leather, some pieces could not be cut. Grilled cheese sandwich, greasy and heavy.
- We've been dining at the mainpjplaugerVIPDined on 2/23/2014We've been dining at the main dining room of the Colonial Inn for decades -- it's the stuffy place with a settled wait staff, a settled kitchen staff, and guaranteed traditional Yankee fare. Several years ago they introduced an updated menu to their outdoor dining area, and now the modern world of cookery has moved indoors. If you tune out the acoustic tile ceiling overhead you can still pretend that you're back in an 18th century inn, only with safer fare and more busloads of tourists. But the dining experience is now way beyond stuffy, a tasty haven for localvores and folks spoiled by modern chefs. The Colonial Inn is back on our rotation with the likes of Concord newcomers such as 80 Thoreau and Bondir. Recommended.Special Features:
- Good Food, but Used to Be BetterSatisfiedDined on 2/21/2014My friend and I have loved going to the Colonial Inn over the years because of the ambiance and outstanding food. The past two times we went, though, the food has been good, but not of the quality we remember. We still recommend this restaurant and will be back, if only for the memories. We hope, too, the quality of food improves to its former standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/20/2014We went to brunch this weekend. The restaurant was not crowded, but service was extremely poor. There were plenty of wait staff around, but after waiting a while we ended up having to run our waitress down to order drinks and finally had to get up and find her to ask for the check. We were tired of waiting by that point, so we skipped coffee. Since this is a buffet, there isn't much more to it than that. The brunch was quite expensive, so it was overall very disappointing.
- Expensive LunchOlReliableDined on 2/19/2014The food was OK, but over-priced. I can't comment on dinner, but I would choose another place the next time I'm in Concord for lunch.
- Suprise with the checkAB01002Dined on 2/16/2014Our Sunday brunch meal was very very good. It was a shame, that the check left a bad taste in my mouth. We were a party of 6. I am used to gratuity being included for larger parties, and our very good waitress made a point of telling me that was the case for us. My problem was that the mandatory gratuity was 20%. Although our waitress was wonderful, I did not think the amount of service she gave us was worth 20% tip. Her tip was about $45 for bringing us beverages and clearing our places. I did not like that at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heating system needs to beOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2014Heating system needs to be updated. One minute you are hot and the next you are freezing. People were putting their coats off and on all night. Meal was not great. The prime rib was tough and chewy. Wait staff/manager very friendly and efficient.
- Cozy BrunchCookieVIPDined on 2/2/2014Nice brunch with a lot of choices -from shrimp and smoked salmon to Belgium waffles, honey glazed salmon, pumpkin ravioli and the list goes on and on - not to mention the desserts and fresh squeezed OJ. Great value in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Wait staff is consistently impeccable. We often eat dinner here and may become regular brunch customers as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice location, but . . .SuburbanDinerDined on 2/1/2014Nice location and a historic setting at the Inn. But the food really didn't even come close to expectations we had based on 4+ star ratings on Open Table. Our meals were overcooked and bland, service wasn't very attentive, and a number of menu items were unavailable by 7:30 . We were there for dinner so can't comment on the lunch and brunch there. I might go back and stick to a beer and burger in the pub, but not back to the main restaurant.
- Lovely restaurantElaineDined on 1/24/2014My husband and I just love it here! Great food and service for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.