Merchants Pub and Plate
746 Massachusetts St
Lawrence, KS 66044Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Merchants Pub and Plate
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://merchantsonmass.com/
- Phone: 7858434111x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun 12:00p – 10:00p
Mon-Thurs 11:00a – 10:00p
Fri-Sat 11:00a – 11:00p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: TK Peterson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We customize catering options to your needs and can gladly accommodate special diets or work to provide other special accommodations, including wine and beer pairings, to ensure your experience with us exceeds expectations.
A word from Merchants Pub and Plate
A Midwestern pub focused on fresh, local ingredients, a curated selection of craft beer and having a good time!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Merchants Pub and Plate - Best Restaurants in Lawrence ›
Merchants Pub and Plate reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (19)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (7)late-night find (5)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We came on Restaurant Week because the menu was one of the best posted. The food did not disappoint, and we were pleased to also find a wine pairing option with the meal. We each had the seared walleye entree, and it was "melt-in-your-mouth" delicious. We have been to Merchants and eaten from their regular menu a couple of times. The entrees are always locally based foods and very fresh tasting; however, I did enjoy the restaurant week menu the best of all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week - LawrenceGuestDined on 9/16/2014Billed as a gastro pub, the beer selection is very good. The food billed as local was up and down. The soup and kale salad was very good. The walleye was the best I have had out but the sweet potato accompanying it was not a good choice. The chicken dish was dry and dull. Desserts were OK. This is a noisy restaurant and always has been in this form and the Tellers before it. Do not expect a quiet conversation on a busy night.Special Features:
- Delicious!gfreedinerDined on 9/13/2014Trying to find healthy and delicious food for those who are dairy and gluten free is challenging to say the least! Merchants stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the park. The food was delicious, our waiter was attentive and informed, and the atmosphere delightful. Would definitely recommend to all of my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dishesacesDined on 9/5/2014Rabbit-apple sausage appetizer was delicious, chicken main dish and mac'n'cheese with the pork belly were both delicious. The blueberry sorbet was superb! Our server was attentive but not hovering. Definitely will go back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem on Mass AveTimOnTheTownVIPDined on 8/15/2014I now found a place that will be on a must stop for my trips to Lawrence! Great food, with true Farm to Table freshness. All three of us loved our dishes and the service was top notch. The rabbit two ways was top notch! I look forward to returning to town and having another great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJP650VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great space; but service was lacking. They were out of several things on the menu -- both drinks and mains. Food quality was good, but nothing amazing. Also, they don't have espresso... !?
- Great dinner experience.LearnThatPoemDined on 8/8/2014The food was terrific and the waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. I highly recommend Merchants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beer haven with some add-onsyulghunDined on 7/31/2014After four dinners at Merchant's over the span of about a year, disappointingly, the food menu is substantially identical to when the restaurant first opened; the only thing that changes with the seasons is the beer menu, which is excellent. (Wine available by the glass only; beverage-wise this is a place for beer, cocktails, or lavender cream sodas.) On the whole, the food offerings are good but not outstanding (though an improvement from this restaurant's predecessor, Tellers). Food treatments tend to have unimaginative treatments and panko-encrusted fried foods seem to be favored (even for the crab cakes). Vegan options are excellent, however (e.g. kale salad, kale and bean pancakes). Go for the beer and have a little food on the side.Special Features:
- Character AND Great Food!CuriousabouDtwnAixoisDined on 7/29/2014Amazing what is possible with an old bank...The menu was terrific with something for every appetite that enters this Lawrence "landmark"! We selected a "sampler" of possibilities and enjoyed each and every one of them. The interesting use of spices was the best surprise -- fennel with BBQ Meats? Who knew? Simply terrific! Generous portions for most people and easy to share servings. Very worth the trip! And, thanks for the entertaining hour of delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!jhawkerDined on 7/24/2014A frequent dining option for us because the food is local, amazing, and ever changing. I tell everyone I know to go because it's probably my favorite restaurant in Lawrence!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT! Imaginative and DELISH!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014First I want to say I will definitely be back!! We sat on the front patio and had a an adorable server wearing hipster glasses who had a great enthusiasm for the menu and for good reason - the food was outstanding. Deviled Eggs were very tasty. I won't be able to eat them with out hot sauce and bacon again. Pork belly was awesome. The slaw and maple infused sauce over them was a great compliment. The Kale Caesar was wonderful. The dressing was so creamy and decadent. Next came the Angus sirloin with a potato salad. It was ok not the best steak I have had. I would not get it again. Potato salad was good. We were then talked into a cheesecake which was dry. The cornmeal crust would have benefited with some sweetness and a finer texture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party Hardy!thegraduateDined on 7/19/2014I made my reservation for 20 people, and the staff was more than accommodating. They were kind and patient, as I had to call and make several changes. When we finally arrived, the service was excellent. I don't remember our server's name, but he had a very distinctive mustache. We were surely a challenging bunch, and he never lost his smile. Gracious through and through.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely location but not great foodKujenaDined on 6/15/2014I could have got a better steak at a resturant that does a 10.99 steak night.
- Wonderful Fathers Day mealTopekaDinerDined on 6/15/2014A friend and I took our husbands to Merchants for Father's Day. We thought their half-price craft beers would be special enough, but then we found that fathers got a free entree that day, even the steak special! The foods was outstanding, our server was friendly and knowledgable, and the price was phenomenal. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. The beer list is extensive. We'll be back often!Special Features:
- Getting BetterCliom007VIPDined on 6/11/2014The food at Merchants has improved since it first opened as a Brew pub. The goat stew with Moroccan spices was very good. The interior décor is still a step down from when it was Tellers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- KCRDPVIPDined on 6/9/2014Alex was an outstanding server and ambassador of the restaurant. He made the evening outstanding and enhanced the delicious food.Special Features:
- The following 59 reviews are from the Merchants Pub and Plate reviews archive.
- Dinner at MerchantsAmFHDined on 5/19/2014The selection of entrees was fairly limited but the food was very good. We had dinner around 7:00pm and it was very noisy. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food with gluten free fareOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014We really enjoyed the food. Our group ordered burgers, crab cakes, sea bass and salmon and everyone enjoyed. Only issue was there were limited number of desserts left at the end of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over-trendyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014my son and I had dinner last Sunday for Mother's Day--it took far too long to get my glass of wine, arrived JUST before the meal. My chicken sandwich was very good and the yams were as well. My son had the Mac and cheese w bacon which was good but 15$ worth of good? Don't think so..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mother's day brunchsjw527314Dined on 5/11/2014Actually, while this visit was for mother's day brunch, this was a third visit. The MD brunch menu was varied, reasonably priced, and the food was delicious. We accompanied it with a reasonably priced Cava. We were seated immediately, with a reservation. Our server (Eric, I believe) was cordial, helpful and professional. A last minute order for a side of bacon was dispatched almost instantly. A request for a do-over on the poached egg with a Benedict was accommodated graciously. The changes on the interior of the restaurant (when it was Teller's) are bright and refreshing, the noise level was reasonable enough. Altogether, a nice experience.Special Features:
- Always a pleasure!mrsloydDined on 5/2/2014We love Merchants. First, it's on Mass. Vibrant inside and out. Such interesting and scrumptious menu items. We always get a flight to sample from their 100 beers. Daniel is a remarkable waiter whom we always request. He competes our time at Merchants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday dinnerLinaDined on 4/20/2014It was a first-time visit for us and we learned that Sundays offer half-price beers - and a few $2 beers during happy hour other days of the week. My husband didn't want to eat "pub" food but I assured him the menu was more upscale than that, and we enjoyed the quality and variety of the food. We started with black bean falafel; a couple of us had the bison and noodle special, I had the Merchant burger (very good) with kale salad, and another had the chicken sandwich, which she said was very good. Our server was informative, friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!collegecounselorDined on 4/19/2014Since Merchants opened in September 2013, we have been eating there 3-4 times a month - we enjoy their food and atmosphere more than any other place in Lawrence!! They change the menu with the seasons and use lots of local products, so there is always something new and different to try - along with the changing menu of 30 craft beers on tap. Insider tip: if you want a small dessert, you can order a scoop of their homemade ice cream for $3. My favorite is the mint chocolate chip made with real mint - it's light and refreshing! Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Great service.Luv2eatDined on 4/19/2014The food is delicious! So refreshing to have fresh, local, made from scratch food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, quite packedsagesDined on 4/18/2014Great restaurant with good food, location 8th and Mass St makes is a prime spot, get pretty loud inside.Special Features:
- So-solocavoreDined on 4/2/2014I had high expectations when entering Merchants, but unfortunately they were not all met. Most of the food was quite good and innovative, but some was not quite as good. Overall though, a good dining experience.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLucyDined on 4/1/2014Merchants is a great addition to the Lawrence restaurant scene. The menu has great pricing--good for students. The menu items are varied and will keep both the meet eaters and vegetarians happy. Plus, there is good creativity in the offered plates. Of course the beer menu is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return when in LawrencenursefoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014Our first time dining here, really looking forward to it after reviewing the menu. Unfortunately, they were out of the whiskey for the drink my partner had originally ordered so had to order something else. Wine list was good. Our table was ready at our reservation time, our waitress a bit on the slow side. Felt a little pushed to order dinner when a drink or appetizer order had not been offered. I had to ask for our friends to be able to order a drink and an appetizer. The fried risotto balls were as fabulous and I would have eaten them all night had they been on the table. Our meals were prepared as described, but they were out of one of the specials. The short rib sloppy joe is a must for anyone who has not eaten here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spotRonInLawrenceDined on 3/19/2014A great selection of items on the menu for foodies in the group and a fantastic beer list for people like me. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beginningsDineproDined on 3/8/2014Servers are helpful and polite. Food is tasty. Menu offers different oppertunities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there for lunch onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014We were there for lunch on a Saturday. The main dining space was filled with natural light and had a relaxed atmosphere. The food was delicious and well presented. The wait staff did a great job, including keeping our water and other beverages topped off. The one minor complaint is in regard to the woman who was at the desk at the entrance: she made eye contact as we came in, then completely ignored us, even as we stood in front of her. If she was busy, she should have said she'd be with us in a minute. We spotted the rest of our group and walked to our table, so no real inconvenience to us - just a little rudeness. Overall, we really enjoyed our time and the food at Merchants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to being really good...czechchickVIPDined on 2/28/2014This is an awesome space and Inso wished it could have been set up in an elegant fashion. Perhaps it was as Teller's..and perhaps that is why it is now called a gastropub, so it can look ordinary or bar like. Service was good, menu interesting. Food was good, but not great. I yearned for a flower on the table to counter the blotto decor and to give the architecture of the room its due.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family gatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014I was visiting family in Lawrence, KS and we wanted a special evening together. The Merchant more than fit the bill,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy FoodCliom007VIPDined on 2/20/2014Merchants has lots of beers to choose from, but the food is heavy with minimum of flavor.
- Great Jan.31st.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2014Great food great service Friday evening January 31st. Asked close friends join us for a Valentines dinner Sunday evening February 6th. Service then was 'not' excellent. Had a different waiter who did not know what the kitchen was running out of - with the substitutions loosing the essence, taste & texture proposed. Want to go back, but will need to learn waiters names and ask ahead if items are available as stated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently the best mealJayWDined on 2/15/2014Consistently the best meal in Lawrence. My wife had a vegetarian option that was very good, and my duck was outstanding. Also, the restaurant's take on corn fritters is possibly the best thing on the menu. On past visits, we've enjoyed the burgers, but for some reason, there were no burgers listed on the menu (maybe it was a special Valentine's Day menu?).Special Features:
- Great update from Teller'sGREENVIPDined on 2/15/2014This was our first trip into this restaurant since it changed from Teller's to Merchants. It was recommended by a few friends and they were right. The food was awesome. We were still talking about some of the dishes the next day. Highlights: peppers stuffed with candied nuts and basil goat cheese; the buffalo chicken meatballs; Brussels sprouts salad. On the downside, the service was just OK. The waiter didn't know enough about the menu and forgot to put in our drink orders at the bar...twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with room to improveJeanDined on 2/14/2014I'm not sure how I feel about Merchants yet. Things like dim lighting, and suggested business casual dress make the restaurant seem more like a special occasion venue. But the noise level, the furniture and openness of the space make it more casual. I know that Merchants is relatively new, so I would say that the restaurant still needs a little time to define its character. The food is pretty good. From their menu, I have tasted the Angus Strip Loin, a brisket ravioli (Valentine's menu), the Bison Bolognese, the Sweet Corn Arancini, the Pork Belly Brochettes, and the Left Hand Milk Stout Chocolate Cake. I like everything, so far, but nothing was absolutely amazing (except for the house steak sauce--it's tart and I like it), and that's ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, unimpressive food.MattDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend to Merchants for Valentines Day after hearing multiple rave reviews of the restaurant. We loved the atmosphere, it's a lovely place with ambient lighting. However, the food was nothing special. I ordered the brisket ravioli and she had the bison bolognese. Both were very...bland. I was expecting a little more food and something more memorable for the price we paid. Our waitress was pretty quiet and hard to understand. There was a man, whom I assume is the owner, who greeted us when we walked in and was all over the restaurant chatting with customers though.Special Features:
- Pleasant eveningYummyDined on 2/13/2014My husband and I had an early Valentine's Day dinner at Merchants. The staff was wonderful, timely, attentive. Beer selection outstanding. Great food options - all delicious. The upstairs was relatively quiet which is what I like. The bar scenen is on the main level. Overall a very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.