99 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themercerkitchen.com/
- Phone: (212) 966-5454
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Sat 7:00am-11:30am & Sunday 7:00am-11:00am
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am-3:30pm
Late Lunch: Mon-Fri 3:30-5:30pm
Brunch: Sat, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Mon-Thu 5:30pm-12:00am
Fri, Sat 5:30pm-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, French American
- Executive Chef: Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Corner of Prince and Mercer Street
- Public Transit: B,D,F,M to Broadway/Lafayette; 6 to Spring St; or N,R to Prince Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking available after 5 pm and on holidays and weekends. Parking garage is located on Mercer St. between Houston and Prince.
A word from Mercer Kitchen
Located at the Mercer Hotel, Mercer Kitchen brings a chic, sophisticated vibe to the heart of SoHo. When Mercer Kitchen opened in 1998, it immediately became a destination for New Yorkers, celebrities, and tourists. Situated in the basement of a historic building constructed in the 1800s, the… restaurant was designed by Christian Liaigre as a combination of industrial and classic modernism. Chef Jean-Georges’ American menu features market-driven, seasonal ingredients prepared in a simple yet elegant style, with favorites like the Tuna Spring Roll, Steamed Shrimp Salad, wood-fired pizzas, and classic Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake. There is an open kitchen, where guests can sit back and watch the show.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercer Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
479 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (207)hot spot (203)good for groups (149)neighborhood gem (132)great for lunch (127)special occasion (119)romantic (100)vibrant bar scene (92)great for brunch (85)late-night find (53)notable wine list (37)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (7)Show More
- Just terriblewalkercmeDined on 11/20/2014Atrocious. This is the worst food in manhattan. Bar makes a miserable old fashioned. Everything was inedible
- Usually love it; this time was not goodShopgirl312VIPDined on 11/20/2014My husband and I go to MK every time we are in NYC (about 4 times per year). Normally we really enjoy it; this time we didn't. Bad service from a server who didn't know the menu (didn't know what was gluten free or how a few fish dishes were prepared). She brought a more experienced server over to help her. MK has been a thriving restaurant for too long to allow a server to work the table alone before she knows the answers to basic questions. My husband's burger came with the dressing that we specifically asked to be excluded; we had to ask for it to be re-made and the manager did take it off our bill. I assume it was server error. I asked for my salmon to be cooked to medium well. It seemed OK on the outside but after taking a few bites, it was very undercooked for me (prob medium rare and not even medium). I didn't return it, since we'd had to send the burger back and I had already eaten a few bites before noticing it being undercooked for me. I am not sure we will go back next time we are in town. It was just not a pleasant experience like it usually is and there are too many other great places in NYC and in SoHo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was exellentJjhoDined on 11/17/2014The service and The food were exellent as well as The recomendations of The waitressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as usual !dominikzDined on 11/16/2014this restauran is one of its kind . delivering a stable quality . always . to recommend in soho for lunch . ...............................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliaDined on 11/16/2014Great atmosphere, hidden gem in Soho! Try the fish sandwhich, burger or pancakes if you go for brunch--you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be.JeevesVIPDined on 11/15/2014Waiter forgot to order an entree and then blamed the guest. Brought calamari to appease but didn't ask if she liked calamari. Unapologetic. Drinks are overpriced and weak. Hostess did not seat us immediately. The step child of the Jean Georges family.Special Features:
- CJW57Dined on 11/15/2014This was my second trip to NYC this year and decided to return to the Mercer Kitchen for lunch based on my previous great experience. This visit the food was good but service was terrible. We had reservations at 12:30 and we sat right away as it was not that busy. Once we received our food we were never asked how our food was and after waiting over 25 minutes after our plates were cleared we had to get up and find someone to retreive our bill. Very disappointing for a great restaurant. The young man filling our water glasses was way more attentive than our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FitFoodieVIPDined on 11/15/2014Service was less than attentive - otherwise good experienceI would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed bagDCSmithDined on 11/14/2014We arrived to a beautiful space with indirect light on brick walls, very cozy and inviting. It took far too long for the waitstaff to first approach us for water and an initial greeting. We called ahead to see what their BYO policy was and were told it was $35 corkage. The waitress was unaware of the policy and took a while to figure it out, then they had difficulty opening the bottle that was sealed in wax, they clearly didn't know what they were doing, but we got that issue resolved. We had a couple of great, well executed apps, beet and goat cheese salad and a black sea bass ceviche, both were bright and flavorful. We both ordered the rack of lamb which was served with white beans. The flavors were great, the lamb was cooked perfectly and the beans were pleasantly al dente but the lamb was clearly untrimmed and extremely fatty, at $42 per dish I expected better from a Jean-George restaurant. The staff was attentive at refilling water and wine throughout the meal. But instead of being presented with a desert menu at the end, the waitress simply asked if we wanted desert, we declined and then proceeded to wait at least a half an hour to get the check and had to flag her down to get her to run our credit card. I usually don't write reviews, but I thought they would like to know about the shaky performance, I don't think we will go back.Special Features:
- For got my good allergyAllergyDined on 11/10/2014I have very strong nut allergy. The waiter forgot my allergy, even though it was enhansed several times when we ordered. The waiter was not quite interresting in making the lunsh an experience, but just to make everything very efficient. I have visited the restaurant several times before, but this time both the service and the food was very disappointing.Special Features:
- erliVIPDined on 11/9/2014The food it's ok not excellent..poor service, very slow
- Terrible servicepapaafricaDined on 11/9/2014Coffee (black) took 45 mins to arrive despite asking about it 3 times. Waiter was un-apologetic. Same issue with orders and bill. Charged us for things that were not even on the bill.
- Lively restaurant, but that's all I can say for itDCgalDined on 11/8/2014Sadly, the restaurant has lost it's flair. Food was cold and bland. Service was slow...Special Features:
- Loved it.mursDined on 11/7/2014Great food, great drinks. Simple, elegant, perfect for all sorts of occasions. Brussels sprouts were the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food MachineReunionDined on 11/7/20142. time at the restaurant and we were all 6 looking forward to repeat the success of last time, but no. We ran 25 min late and they had cancelled our reservation, even though we called in advance to inform we were late. They did however set us up with a new table after 15 min wait. They did not have the wine we preferred, my son's burger was soggy and barely edible. The rest of the food was OK, but not great. The guy who came along to fill our glasses with water repeatingly kept on topping up our St. Peligrino with highly chlorinated water ughhhh.The waiters was however sweet and did a good job, even though she forgot to refill our glasses with wine.Special Features:
- Mercer Madness - Yes!trebleclefDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is definitely hoppin'! Long shared tables and lots of noise with some remarkable dishes. Our seats gave us a perfect view of the kitchen in operation - amazing! We really enjoyed lunch there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pw24Dined on 11/7/2014reservation time honored service was pleasant it was perfect place to meet in soho. Some dishes were too salty but we would try it again.Special Features:
- Worst Mac and cheeseN0racrisDined on 11/3/2014Mac and cheese was undercooked and service could have been better relative to the number of staffSpecial Features:
- Dissapointing overallzoemDined on 11/2/2014Not much to say expect that the food and drinks were just disappointing. Nothing very interesting though quite expensive. The hostess were absolutely lovely but the barman was unpleasant; we requested bar snacks that we are still waiting for, though we would have happily taken another drink.Special Features:
- AmazingAnacroticDined on 11/1/2014Went to Mercer Kitchen last night, and it is now definitely going to be my go-to in the area. The only downfall this restaurant suffers from is the type of patron it attracts; my party encountered a bit of rudeness other patrons, but what can I say, it's just the nature of the beast that is soho. Aside from that, this restaurant as a whole, from time of entry to the moment I left, was nothing short of amazing--the staff were all super nice, helpful, conversational and awesome. As for the food, again, it was amazing--everything was perfectly balanced while being creative in execution, my palate was ecstatic and pleased for sure.Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Had brunch here on Saturday morning. Great food....LOVED the shrimp salad! Would definitely go back and try for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Food Rocks, Service FaltersRumpusVIPDined on 10/31/2014With tickets at the Public, we abandoned our default setting of Indochine to try the Mercer Kitchen for pre-theater dinner. The play was at 7:00, so we arrived at 5:30 and told our server that we had to leave at 6:45, allowing an hour and a quarter for our meal. Our appetizers came almost instantaneously, but our entrees appeared just as fast so that our meal was finished by 6:00. We would have wished that the kitchen had a better sense of timing so we could have dined without feeling rushed. As the restaurant filled up, the service and attentiveness slowed, with several errors in our orders. That said, the food is consistently delicious and we'd happily return in the hope that this was simply an off night on the service side.
- Very enjoyableRonS2002Dined on 10/30/2014Good, food, good service and a good buzz. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, uninterested staffPetterDined on 10/29/2014Second visit, the food still great but the staff is not very interested. Long wait for drinks, did not check if we wanted to order more, long wait again. Felt like she wanted us to leave as soon as possible so someone else could fill the seat. We will not go here again if the service isn´t changed. A pity for the food is very good, also due to rain outside, dripping water came in to the restaurant!Special Features:
- Great eveningBigbearDined on 10/28/2014Food really good, atmosphere buzzy and wonderful service. I have been before and second time was even betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food - poor serviceSoozzeeDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful, buzzy atmosphere, lots of people (without reservations) waiting at bar, as we had a reservation we were shown straight to our table, 3 of us on a tiny, tiny table. (in the bar area). We ordered a bottle of wine, which disappointingly arrived at least 10 minutes after our food had arrived ! despite searching for our waiter and asking for our wine ! The service in the restaurant was very, very poor - which was a shame as the food was delicious, the most gorgeous chicken burger with crispy onions ! Very tasty. Perhaps as it was a Sunday it was a particularly busy day and the staff just couldn't manage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad foodnycoctober2014Dined on 10/26/2014i thought this a great place and good food. i guess i was pool by the rating. too noisy, service horrible, food no more than a 3 stars restaurant. never go here again.Special Features:
- Extremely Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/26/2014When we arrived they did not have our reservation, despite showing them the open table confirmation. Then did seat us but we were treated like an inconvenience the entire time. The simplest requests (more coffee, for example) were ignored and some portions of our orders were never brought out. When we could not find our waitress for an extended period of time we asked the hostess who was standing nearby and she replied that the waitress was "busy". It is the worst dining experience I had living in NYC for 10 years.
- manage expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We were staying up by Central Park and went to Mercer Kitchen on a recommendation from a local friend. Our greeter was less than enthused about her role. Our first waitress was fully professional and committed. From there it went downhill. We were there right before the Sunday brunch period began and there were only 30% of seats occupied at most. The service was slow, riddled with errors like missing butter, syrup, late drinks, tepid cappuccino, very delayed food and despite all the space available (even an hour later) we 3 were seated at a round for 2. Seems like one of those spots that considers it your privilege and not theirs. Past its prime.
- Mercer KitchenbadboycarzDined on 10/25/2014They have a really good whole artichoke and salmon entree that is amazing! A great salmon crispy rice too. Once again, Chef Jean-George does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Table for 8sabaideethaiDined on 10/25/2014We had a table for 8 for a birthday. Cocktails were ordered prior to the wine, everyone asking for something different...so a tad slow in delivery..cant blame the service for a 8 Pax. Food was great, everyone shared, so it came very quickly. No leftovers at all. The wine list had something for everyone...not just the expense accounts...a welcome change. Loved the vibe next to the open kitchen. Service was attentive. Would come back for a reasonably priced meal. The menu is basic and nothing adventurous, but expected for this type of kitchen...its a non-pretentious JG restaurant, don't expect fine diningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014overall good experience and excellent location . Service and food all goodSpecial Features:
- Rushed, not fine diningRushedDined on 10/24/2014Service far too rushed, felt like just another number and tip provider to them. Food was average for a so called fine dining restaurant.
- Highly energetic5kami22Dined on 10/22/2014Both the salmon and sea bass were delicious; the wine list was extensive, but still accessible. Service was friendly, yet light-tough. Recommend seating away from the kitchen itself.Special Features:
- Typical Jean GeorgeDanielDined on 10/22/2014Having been to other Jean George restaurants, this was a typical experience. Nice atmosphere, good food and pleasant efficient staff.Special Features:
- Mercer Kitchen is fantastic!MarthaCritiqueVIPDined on 10/22/2014We loved having breakfast at Mercer Kitchen. For that matter, everytime I've been there with family or friends, we have had impeccable service, outstanding food and a wonderful environment. Kudos to the staff. It's sublime!Special Features:
- emreergencDined on 10/20/2014No hassle restaurant in the heart of Soho. food was incredibly well designed.service was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unmissable stop in SohosilvaliaDined on 10/19/2014Everytime I go to New York we stop at Mercer Kitchen for lunch and cocktail while shopping around in Soho. However this time we went there for dinner. Service was still very good but the atmosphere was much better. I always have the burger - which I strongly recommend - and if you want to choose a starter go for the squid. It was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I usually love this place but....loveVIPDined on 10/19/2014I usually love this place but the service was WAY TOO SLOW this time, and the portions seemed to shrink. for the $$ we paidf, i was totally disappointed. the seafood tower platter thing was a complete rip off - 3 oysters, 3 clam, 4 mussels, and 1/2 of a very tiny lobster for about $50 just wasnt worth it at all
- Special Award for the Worst ServiceUffa1VIPDined on 10/19/2014Time on your hands and love being ignored? This is great brunch place to dine on lukewarm omelets and coffee!