Mercato - West
5000 - 873 85th St SW
Calgary, AB T3H 0J5Neighborhood:
Aspen / Strathcona / West Springs
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mercato - West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercatowest.com/
- Phone: 4032636996x1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner F-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mercato - West
Welcome to Mercato West. Join us at our West Springs location for an authentic Italian experience. Enjoy our open kitchen concept restaurant where we offer a wide array of traditional dishes and a bustling dining atmosphere!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mercato - West - Best Restaurants in Aspen / Strathcona / West Springs ›
Mercato - West reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (33)good for groups (28)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (9)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- N2NSQUAREDDined on 9/12/2014We have been to Mercato West a number of times and never disappointed. Food and service always kept to high standard. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Excelente the food Was perfectly prepares; everything Was served at The right timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Love that Mercato is in the neighbourhood. Menu looks good. Unfortunately, the food is too salty. We saw the chef tasting as he went along which was great but he always added extra salt to the food. Perhaps his palate has been saturated with salt for too long and now needs more salt for it to make a difference to him?I would recommend this to a friend.
- What..two Mercatos?DTomasoDined on 8/22/2014We were told that Mercatos was one of the better Italian restaurants in Calgary,and the place to be. I went on line and booked a reservation,but unfortunately the restaurant has two locations. Bummer we ended up at the downtown location and were told that we were at the wrong one. Changed our evening plans totally. We did do the trip to the boonies,and it wasn't worth the trip...it was a carny delight but we wanted tastefully put together italian cuisine..this was a chop store. No thanks!Special Features:
- ...enjoyable eveningSandyDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our get together with other family members and never felt rushed. Waiter was knowledgeable and helpful. Food was excellent and nicely presented. Our second time in a month ...and won't be our last. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014We love Mercato; it is consistently excellent food. We chose to celebrate our anniversary at Mercato West because the Mission location (which we are closer to) is so loud it's hard to have a conversation sometimes. The West location is bigger, and kitchen is a little more in the background so even though it was quite full, the West location seemed quieter. We enjoyed the arancini for appetizers, then the sausage penne, with the steak and feature cauliflower gratin. Every dish was delicious, beautiful to look at, and generously portioned. For dessert we shared the pavlova-- which was so good I really wanted to lick the plate. It's so great to have a restaurant like this and know it will be an outstanding meal.Special Features:
- Food excellent service mundanehorsemanVIPDined on 8/12/2014We go to Mercato West a frequently because of the food and wine list. I am continually disappointed at the level of service given the other great facets of the restaurant. The service is always okay but never engaging nor do I find some of the servers well trained on the extensive wine list. I still think Mercato West is one of the best on the far west of Calgary but the servers are acting suburban in a spot that should feel urban.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarySoWhatDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Mercato West. The food was pricey and very good, but the ambiance and noise level was far from romantic. Had I known that the layout of the restaurant was similar to a Sunterra Market I would have chosen a more romantic location for our special evening. A few pictures of the actual layout of the restaurant on their webpage would have made all the difference. I would recommend Mercato West for large group or family functions, but not if you want to be able to hear your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy beyond energetichorsemanVIPDined on 7/22/2014We enjoy Mercato West frequently and enjoy the energy of the restaurant but find the noise level one notch too high. Perhaps some sound dampening devices hung in the space between the sit down tables and the bar at the kitchen would retain the energetic level but take it down slighty?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DateniteDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food (as always) and fantastic wine selection. We have sat at the eating bar & at a table and have always enjoyed our meals. This past visit we were disappointed in the service by our assigned server but thankfully her co-workers were more than happy to help us out with getting what we needed so overall, our experience was a good one!! We've typically always had great service here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mercato WestVedderLGDined on 7/17/2014Fantastic food and service. Great for a date, a group or the family. The family style dishes are awesome. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet FoodMANDRDined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent and a great neighborhood gem. A bit of a drive from South, would recommend to open another branch in the SE or SW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 hours lunch ... awesomeMoMoDined on 7/11/2014I took a day off for my bday and booked a table at Mercato West. Love the Mission location but heard good reviews (words of mouth) about this new one. We were introduced to the restaurant side (more menu selection). Service was fair (it wasn't busy on weekday so maybe that's why?). We wined and dined for nearly 2.5 hours and loved it!!!!!!!!! The red wine introduced to us was very good. The foods were fantastic. The only suggestion I would like to make ... However, there is NO changing table. There is definitely SPACE to add one in the handicap stall. I have heard there are many parents with kids visiting this restaurants on weekend so a changing table is a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BirthdayShigorDined on 7/8/2014Took my wife out for a birthday dinner and found the food and service to be excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening mealSandyDined on 7/6/2014Enjoyed a great meal with our son and daughter-in-law who are 'foodies' ... great variety and original preparation of classic Italian dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robbDined on 6/21/2014Far too much salt used in certain dishes spoiled an otherwise nice mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a Great MealGrantDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great service. Generous portions. Fun atmosphere. Server made a excellent wine recommendation which went very well with our sharing "family-style" dinner. The cuttlefish was to die for, same as the mussels. Vegetables were over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!MichelleDined on 6/12/2014This is by 5 or 6 time to Mercato West and it never is disappointing. Get the steak!! We had a reservation for 6 people and two others wanted to join us and they easily added the two extras seats for us :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill?PizzamanDined on 5/27/2014Tuesday night. Half full. But really hard to hear, worse than I remember. Table of 5. Service was very good as usual. However food quality seems to have gone downhill. Stuff came out cold (lamb, ribs). Polpo was spicy but not great. Prior to this visit had regarded this as a primo spot to visit with guests from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for Bigger GroupsMBCalgaryDined on 5/21/2014Great food but the "for the table" sizing of the dishes limits what two people can order. Go as a gang - there's so many good things to sample!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 254 reviews are from the Mercato - West reviews archive.
- fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed the serving of each dish and the Italian flavour was great. Servers were well informed on menu and made good size suggestions. A pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great First VisitSkaggseyDined on 5/17/2014It was our first dining experience at Mercato-West, always heard great things about Mercato, we certainly enjoyed the evening, seated where we could watch (and enjoy) the kitchen preparation and interaction. Our server Amy was most helpful in menu recommendations and keeping the pace relaxing. Food outstanding, great presentation and served hot! We'll certainly be back. Truly, Rick & Nancy SkaggsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodbiggyDined on 5/16/2014this is probably the fifth or sixth time we have dined at mercatos west. the noise level is high, but food and service good. the foods served family style are all very good, although our rib steaks were rather fatty. the service is great, they are very knowledgable and offer great suggestions very honestly. the pizza is out of this world! thin crispy crust with toppings that dont overwhelm. over all i would rate it 4/5Special Features:
- Fun time!MemeneDined on 5/13/2014We were two senior couples dining and visiting. It was fun choosing plates that would suit all four of us to share! We chose two appetizers, two protein dishes, (the veal was especially good) 1 special risotto, and 2 vegetables ( green beans, mushroom selection), and a glass of wine or so to accompany. Portions were generous - there was enough food left to take home a doggie bag... We all felt that our tummies were too satisfied to partake in more food! Excellent food - we'll be returning! Only negative - The noise level from surrounding tables rose as the evening wore on - we had trouble hearing our conversations across the table. The ease of parking was a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Food and service here is always excellent. I love this place as does my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great restaurantSuperdaveDined on 5/9/2014Service was Excellent, Chicken was exceptional, the beef had a lot of fat and was so/so.... but the rest of the food / apetizers were excellent. Main negative is the restaurant was very loud / noisey not great for having a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointeddragonDined on 5/9/2014I went to dinner but the food was salty. Would have thought this restaurant was perfect...Special Features:
- Special DinnerCurtisVIPDined on 5/4/2014We come to Mercato regularly and have never been disappointed! The food and staff are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not meUnhappyDined on 5/3/2014I was expecting a more quiet sophisticated place. It was too casual with children and family dining. This is not for me. The food was very good and service pleasant but I wanted to turn around and leave when I entered. When I eat out I want the atmosphere to be quiet and cosy with white table clothes. My expectations let me down but the food didn't. However the food alone is not the only part of dining and for this reason I will not return
- Nice little neighbourhood hideawayGolfygirl3Dined on 4/22/2014I recently had lunch here with some friends. The restaurant has an expansive menu & it was reasonably pricey but the food & service were excellent. We all had the lunch portions of various pasta dishes & the portions were ample. I was pleased to see that one could order individual orders rather than just 'sharing' plates - which I realize are popular but don't really appeal to me. The one thing I noticed was while there were many appetizer choices - there were limited salad options, which is what I prefer to have for lunch. The restaurant is upscale & very attractive & has a market next door. I would recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time not like the 1stMaggieDined on 4/2/2014Food such as fusilli with Prawns was a bit bland, lamb done to perfection and Brussel sprouts were grilled with balsamic vinegar had some sprouts appearing if they were burned. Taste was good. For $150 with tip was in our opinion, not worth it. Perhaps we need to figure out how to order at this restaurant. Last visit with a group had tons of food with the pasta dishes served together instead if separately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectRURIDined on 4/1/2014All the food menu are very variable and a good portions. The cheese cake are amazing. The waitress was so friendly that help you to feel like in home. I strongly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, work on the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/1/2014The food is absolutely phenomenal, but the service tends to be standard considering you're paying over $100 for two people. On multiple occasions, I have had a hard time getting a hold of my server either for an issue with what was ordered, needing drink refills after having an empty water glass the majority or the meal, or even waiting for the bill and food to be packed after we were clearly done. Besides that, the food is fresh with lots of flavour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a review but a comment...ITotallyImpressedDined on 3/29/2014not a review but a comment...I actually booked for the wrong date, I booked for March 30th but I needed a res on March 29th. The resturant accomodated us no problem! Thanks!Special Features:
- mercatosPatyDined on 3/29/2014We went to Mercatos for a special evening. The food was good but was too salty. I was up several times at night trying to quench my thirst. Luckily, I don't have high blood pressure! The server was excellent. The wine selection very good. My biggest complaint is the noise level. The music was so loud, it was had to hear each other speak. As the kitchen is open to the view of the public, I imagine that the music drowns the noise of the kitchen. This noise is not limited to Mercatos restaurants only. It seems most restaurants feel the need to drown out conversations, I wonder why this is?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is not quiteJudyDined on 3/28/2014The atmosphere is not quite as interesting as downtown location but still excellent. This location attracts more families with small children. It isn't quite as nice when you are sitting next to families with very young children as they tend to cry or scream some and it takes away from your dining experience. All in all most of the time it is a very enjoyable place to go for dinner. The food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a town of expensive places thisVikiBDined on 3/21/2014Yes the location is nice, good for westerners, good service and the food does taste good, but why does the bill always have to be so expensive. Most of the dishes we had were based on cheap ingredients such as arborio rice and pasta. The value just isn't there and I won't be coming back.Special Features:
- Outstanding experienceChrisVIPDined on 3/21/2014We visited for the first time with a group of 6. The meal was delicious and we really enjoyed the "Family Style" dining experience. It allowed us to sample various foods and take appropriate portions based on our tastes. Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date for twoLadySMAVIPDined on 3/20/2014This location is the flagship for catering to a nice intimate evening paired with: great food, excellent service and a fantastic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchCorianderVIPDined on 3/16/2014We went for a weekend lunch and were pleasantly surprised. Fantastic food, very generous quantities. We shared the mussels & clam appetizer and the rigatoni, and it would have easily served 3 adults. The pizza bar on the other side of the bar looks fun, so we're trying that next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.