Mercato - West
5000 - 873 85th St SW
Calgary, AB T3H 0J5Neighborhood:
Aspen / Strathcona / West Springs
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mercato - West
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercatowest.com/
- Phone: (403) 263-6996 ext. 1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-9:00pm
Dinner F-Sa 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mercato - West
Welcome to Mercato West. Join us at our West Springs location for an authentic Italian experience. Enjoy our open kitchen concept restaurant where we offer a wide array of traditional dishes and a bustling dining atmosphere!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mercato - West reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (38)good for groups (33)special occasion (32)notable wine list (26)hot spot (20)kid-friendly (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2014The experience has always been great. The food , the quality is just remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best octopus appetizerViviDined on 11/19/2014This is by far the begat octopus appetizer we've ever had in any resturants. The gnogi was exceptional as well as so was all the side vegetable dishes we ordered ( cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and grill mushrooms). The main course we're a little disappointing. We had the grill whole sea bream which was kinds of tasteless and the aside that came with the fish was not good at all. We also order the pork ribs and we found it a bit too sweet. The portions were very large and we ordered way too much. I wish the waiter could advice us about this as we did ask him if we've order too much and he thought we could handle it. We also asked if we can have our grill mushroom come as an appetizer and the waiter said not whack I found kind of u accommodating. Otherwise, our overall experience were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual diningacalgarydinerDined on 11/8/2014My husband and I were seated at the bar promptly for our 6:15 p.m. reservation. The server was friendly, attentive, helpful and professional. The meal started with a selection of olives and bread. Our first selection was very tender grilled octopus served on a bed of tasty, but salty, baked kidney beans. The chef is daring when combining flavours. Our next course was linguine with perfectly cooked shrimp, fish and jalepenos. This dish is extremely hot and spicy, definitely not for the average palate. We eat a lot of very hot food and this dish topped the scale of what I can tolerate. We also had ribs that were tender, tasty with caramelized radicchio, figs and served with watermelon. They had a slightly bitter flavour but were delicious.Special Features:
- Save your money and go elsewhereFoodloverDined on 11/4/2014Snobby, unfriendly waiter. Wasn't sure if he didn't like his job or us or both. Reminded us twice that we HAD to order our mains by 8:30. Atmosphere is pretty stark. Food was pretty good. Won't be going back and won't be recommending either.
- SKDSlimskiDined on 11/4/2014Booked through open table the day before. Irritated that I got a call asking me to call and confirm. I booked online so I wouldn't have to make the phone call, which apparently was a waste of time. The server was borderline friendly, spilled both the water and the wine without any apology. The food was generally good (with the exception of the octopus, which was OUTSTANDING) but needed more attention. The salad was undersalted and the pastas though tasty were WAY too salty. And not a bottle of wine under $55?? Really?? Decent ones were around $70, which is a lot for what should be a pleasant weeknight place.Special Features:
- GeoffVIPDined on 11/2/2014Servers are fantastic!!!! Great wine list! All dishes are for sharing. Main courses are carved or portioned so you help yourself to as much as u like. Dinner table dining! Caprese salad is best in Calgary, polpo changes regularly but consistently flavourful and tender. Pasta courses all delicious and the chefs are happy to customize to your specific tastes! Always a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMacBobDined on 11/1/2014One of our favourite restaurants in SW Calgary. Great appetizer and entree selections.... always excellent and always consistent. Service is generally very good. We had dinner at Mercato West on Saturday night, our service was "sub par", however food quality was again excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Everything was great except food was taking too long to come out. We were there at 5:30 pm and the main course didn't get serve until 7:15 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was a little weak.WoodentoysDined on 10/30/2014Great dinner but the service was not quite up to the standard we have become accustomed to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too SaltyFunonlyDined on 10/29/2014Overall a reasonably good Italian meal. Servings are "family size for 2 to share, Two dishes will make a meal for two. Expensive wine list. Mushroom side dish was salty to the point where it was difficult to eatSpecial Features:
- Birthday Dinner CelebrationYvonneVIPDined on 10/22/2014We have been to Mercato Mission many times and Mercato West a couple of times. We loved both locations. The food is great and the service is outstanding. The only comment I have this time for Mercato West is that the 3 of us ended up ordering pasta because any main dishes (lamb, fish, steak) would take between 20 and 40 minutes to prepare. Overall, we enjoyed everything and had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTmacDined on 10/21/2014This was our first time dining at Mercato and we were not disappointed! The wine list was very impressive and the food was outstanding. We also enjoyed the open kitchen where we could watch the chefs do their magic. The whole experience was very enjoyable and we would recommend Mercato as the place to dine, especially if you are fond of authentic Italian fare. Will mist definitely be returning!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Fabulous food! A little too noisy for romantic conversation though. We really like the family style sharing of the dishes. Quite expensive but great as a rare treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome restaurant close to homeAspen13Dined on 10/14/2014As usually, Mercato gave us an excelent service with a varied and deligtfull menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelersDined on 10/11/2014We saw a few reviews about this new Mercato West and expected to experience bad service etc that is posted in many of the reviews ... however we quickly forgot all about the reviews and enjoyed a great dinning experience along with great prompt service. We will for sure revisit Mercato West again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SeafoodDonBDined on 10/8/2014the octopus and cuttlefish were particularly spectacular. Good-sized portions, almost too much!Special Features:
- Luv2dineDined on 10/5/2014Went for Sunday lunch. Food was amazing. Server was not as friendly or attentive as previous servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingExpectbetterDined on 10/3/2014Too spicy. All dishes except gnocchi. Overcooked and bland. Waiter inattentive. I didn't eat my food.
- Awesome RestaurantmuffinDined on 9/20/2014The best food, service and ambience. We loved the family dining experience. Everything was perfect!Special Features:
- CurtisVIPDined on 9/16/2014The service is always fantastic! The food is the best Italian food in Calgary! The wine list is very good, the selection on the menu is wonderful!Special Features:
- N2NSQUAREDDined on 9/12/2014We have been to Mercato West a number of times and never disappointed. Food and service always kept to high standard. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelenteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Excelente the food Was perfectly prepares; everything Was served at The right timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Love that Mercato is in the neighbourhood. Menu looks good. Unfortunately, the food is too salty. We saw the chef tasting as he went along which was great but he always added extra salt to the food. Perhaps his palate has been saturated with salt for too long and now needs more salt for it to make a difference to him?I would recommend this to a friend.
- What..two Mercatos?DTomasoDined on 8/22/2014We were told that Mercatos was one of the better Italian restaurants in Calgary,and the place to be. I went on line and booked a reservation,but unfortunately the restaurant has two locations. Bummer we ended up at the downtown location and were told that we were at the wrong one. Changed our evening plans totally. We did do the trip to the boonies,and it wasn't worth the trip...it was a carny delight but we wanted tastefully put together italian cuisine..this was a chop store. No thanks!Special Features:
- ...enjoyable eveningSandyDined on 8/22/2014We really enjoyed our get together with other family members and never felt rushed. Waiter was knowledgeable and helpful. Food was excellent and nicely presented. Our second time in a month ...and won't be our last. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/19/2014We love Mercato; it is consistently excellent food. We chose to celebrate our anniversary at Mercato West because the Mission location (which we are closer to) is so loud it's hard to have a conversation sometimes. The West location is bigger, and kitchen is a little more in the background so even though it was quite full, the West location seemed quieter. We enjoyed the arancini for appetizers, then the sausage penne, with the steak and feature cauliflower gratin. Every dish was delicious, beautiful to look at, and generously portioned. For dessert we shared the pavlova-- which was so good I really wanted to lick the plate. It's so great to have a restaurant like this and know it will be an outstanding meal.Special Features:
- Food excellent service mundanehorsemanVIPDined on 8/12/2014We go to Mercato West a frequently because of the food and wine list. I am continually disappointed at the level of service given the other great facets of the restaurant. The service is always okay but never engaging nor do I find some of the servers well trained on the extensive wine list. I still think Mercato West is one of the best on the far west of Calgary but the servers are acting suburban in a spot that should feel urban.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversarySoWhatDined on 8/3/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Mercato West. The food was pricey and very good, but the ambiance and noise level was far from romantic. Had I known that the layout of the restaurant was similar to a Sunterra Market I would have chosen a more romantic location for our special evening. A few pictures of the actual layout of the restaurant on their webpage would have made all the difference. I would recommend Mercato West for large group or family functions, but not if you want to be able to hear your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 266 reviews are from the Mercato - West reviews archive.
- Noisy beyond energetichorsemanVIPDined on 7/22/2014We enjoy Mercato West frequently and enjoy the energy of the restaurant but find the noise level one notch too high. Perhaps some sound dampening devices hung in the space between the sit down tables and the bar at the kitchen would retain the energetic level but take it down slighty?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DateniteDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food (as always) and fantastic wine selection. We have sat at the eating bar & at a table and have always enjoyed our meals. This past visit we were disappointed in the service by our assigned server but thankfully her co-workers were more than happy to help us out with getting what we needed so overall, our experience was a good one!! We've typically always had great service here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mercato WestVedderLGDined on 7/17/2014Fantastic food and service. Great for a date, a group or the family. The family style dishes are awesome. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet FoodMANDRDined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent and a great neighborhood gem. A bit of a drive from South, would recommend to open another branch in the SE or SW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 hours lunch ... awesomeMoMoDined on 7/11/2014I took a day off for my bday and booked a table at Mercato West. Love the Mission location but heard good reviews (words of mouth) about this new one. We were introduced to the restaurant side (more menu selection). Service was fair (it wasn't busy on weekday so maybe that's why?). We wined and dined for nearly 2.5 hours and loved it!!!!!!!!! The red wine introduced to us was very good. The foods were fantastic. The only suggestion I would like to make ... However, there is NO changing table. There is definitely SPACE to add one in the handicap stall. I have heard there are many parents with kids visiting this restaurants on weekend so a changing table is a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special BirthdayShigorDined on 7/8/2014Took my wife out for a birthday dinner and found the food and service to be excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening mealSandyDined on 7/6/2014Enjoyed a great meal with our son and daughter-in-law who are 'foodies' ... great variety and original preparation of classic Italian dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- robbDined on 6/21/2014Far too much salt used in certain dishes spoiled an otherwise nice mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a Great MealGrantDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great service. Generous portions. Fun atmosphere. Server made a excellent wine recommendation which went very well with our sharing "family-style" dinner. The cuttlefish was to die for, same as the mussels. Vegetables were over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!MichelleDined on 6/12/2014This is by 5 or 6 time to Mercato West and it never is disappointing. Get the steak!! We had a reservation for 6 people and two others wanted to join us and they easily added the two extras seats for us :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going Downhill?PizzamanDined on 5/27/2014Tuesday night. Half full. But really hard to hear, worse than I remember. Table of 5. Service was very good as usual. However food quality seems to have gone downhill. Stuff came out cold (lamb, ribs). Polpo was spicy but not great. Prior to this visit had regarded this as a primo spot to visit with guests from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best for Bigger GroupsMBCalgaryDined on 5/21/2014Great food but the "for the table" sizing of the dishes limits what two people can order. Go as a gang - there's so many good things to sample!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.