Mercato - Mission
2224 4th St SW
Calgary, AB T2S 1W9Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mercato - Mission
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercatogourmet.com/main.html
- Phone: 4032635535
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mercato - Mission
Welcome to The Restaurant at Mercato. Join us in an authentic Italian experience in our open kitchen concept restaurant. We offer a wide array of traditional dishes and a bustling dining atmosphere!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Mercato - Mission - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Mercato - Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (25)hot spot (20)neighborhood gem (16)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (11)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Calgary favoriteHolodnyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Consistantly superior dining experience. Food best shared over several cources and eaten family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Been here a few times, and I've never had anything that's blown me away. I had battered cuttlefish for an appetizer, and the batter was undercooked and mushy. The pasta course was excellent, but my main (fish crusted with fennel) was underwhelming. I gave 3 stars because my friend loved what he ordered but if it were just me, it would have been 2 stars. Our server seemed distracted. Made a minor error with our drink order, was attentive through the first 2 courses then just seemed to disappear. It took us 20 minutes to get the bill, then another 15 minutes before he came back to run our credit card through.
- Great Food and ServiceWLAWDined on 6/23/2014The food and service at this restaurant is awesome the only thing that ruins it is the hostess. The first time they told us it would be a 45min,only to have the hostess to call me back 10 min later and tell me there is a table available. This time my wife had a torn back muscle and they seated us at a bar table, so she was uncomfortable. I asked if we could sit at a normal table but the hostess told us that it was reserved and that the person specifically asked for that table. I had also made a reservation and couldn’t choose what table I sat at. After about an hour I looked at the table of 6 that I asked to sit at and the hostess had pulled the table apart and sat a group of 3 and 4 in 2 separated tables.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Our table wasn't ready when we arrived although we had a reservation. When asked the hostess if she could seat us somewhere else and she was very rude to us and told us NO even though there were other tables available. Our server hardly spoke to us and didn't crack a smile the entire time. After he gave us our bill he never returned to our table to offer us more water although we stayed for another 45 minutes. He seemed like he just wanted us to leave. The food was mediocre at best. I will not be going back to the restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Great service, wonderful food, vibrant energy, casual and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014We were sitting right in front of the cooking area do it was a bit hot there, but it was awesome watching the chefs at work, especially when it came to the double cut 24 ounce steak! Great service and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of a kindTrapperVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a great experience. The staff and food make it unique and I would highly recommend for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively!KimnickeDined on 6/19/2014Very loud and full of life. Not the greatest place to have good conversation. Menu a bit confusing. Waiter helped us but we still ended up with something that we didn't expect. They did credit our bill though but seemed annoyed that we didn't understand the menu. Didn't feel rushed. Food was excellent. Have been there before. Food is always great but I would prefer quieter place.Special Features:
- Mercato MissionScourtDined on 6/16/2014Absolutely fantastic service and great food however since they have changed their menu to the new summer menu it seems as though portion sizes are smaller. I've been to mercato before and ordered the same number of dishes and have had to pack food up because we didn't eat it all. This time around we ate everything and left a bit hungry......Special Features:
- great atmosphere and great foodbella17Dined on 6/15/2014We had a lunch here recently with our two children and really enjoyed every moment. The waitress was friendly, extremely efficient and knowledgeable and gave really good advice with our menu choices. The food was excellent and we will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- best resturant in calgary.Rachard71Dined on 6/9/2014Great food and atmosphere. Ask for a seat a the counter by the kitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodCooksneedgoodfoodtooDined on 5/23/2014Mercator mission has really good food, but is a very loud restaurant. The service was great! Still a place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavouriteHolodnyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Consistently good quality food - best with multiple courses shared family style. The bisteca was done to perfection. Love the open kitchen and being able to watch the cooking and seeing different entrees being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let's us down!HappymamaVIPDined on 5/13/2014Another awesome Mercado experience. Our waiter took care of all our needs impeccably. Our family style meal was top notch! A little taste of Italy in downtown Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014We came as a group celebrating a b'day and the service was very good attentive personal and the food amazing. If you want a quiet evening not the place to come.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Took the family for a birthday dinner. Food, service, wine selection was excellent.Special Features:
- The following 400 reviews are from the Mercato - Mission reviews archive.
- An ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014It was our first experience at Mercato's and we were seated at the Italian Style counter across from the cooks and grill. There was only 2 of us and we were side by side which was fine. It was interesting to watch the cooks. After a while, it did get pretty warm and my husband was hit by salt flying off the grill. The waiter explained the menu and it was an interesting concept, choosing one item from each category. It would of been nicer to have more people so we could of tried more dishes. The pasta was excellent as well as the bruschetta and tiramisu. I would definitely go back with a group of people.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!GloriaDined on 5/1/2014Loved everything about this place! Have been here before and always enjoyed it. I just had a birthday lunch there and was greeted with warmth! Thank you, victor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HolodnyVIPDined on 4/26/2014As usual excellent food. Wine list is on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Mis-steaktreschicDined on 4/25/2014Our steak was overdone and when we complained, the cook took umbrage and challenged us. We got a new one, but after some frustrating banter with our waiter.
- Too noisyHoustonEatsVIPDined on 4/25/2014This place would be fantastic if you could actually hear what your dining companions had to say. The recent renovation created many more seats...and that much more noise. There is no sound dampening and everyone I've brought here to enjoy a meal has said they will not return because of the noise. Reservationists were absolutely wonderful and flexible - could not have been nicer - but servers can be a bit surly. The place is always packed so clearly I'm in the minority of people who want a dining experience which leaves their hearing and voice intact.
- Outstanding good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Dedicated to delivering an authentic Italian experience, with each course we were engaged in the history, flavours and all that is Italian about food, wine and celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO Much SALTotisDined on 4/6/2014All the food was heavily salted and had aggressive amounts of oil. Service was like deli service-not smooth. Wine list was their own stock and lacked variety from other parts of the world, .....overall B- rating. Seems to be slipping and living off their laurels. OTISSpecial Features:
- Great Food ExperienceRandallDined on 4/5/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. Do make an reservation!! This place has very good service, the waiter was VERY knowledgeable and helpful picking out a wine pairing for our food, and really easy to talk to. The food was fresh and serving sizes were more than enough. The atmosphere was great, we really loved sitting at the bar overlooking the Chef's preparing our dishes. The market place was a great idea as well! Will definitely come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding serviceericalumlumDined on 3/31/2014In our group there was a lot of dietary restrictions and the waitress was very non-judgemental, patient and helpful in selecting a suitable meal and offered to make modifications to what is on the menu or even suggestions for things that were off the menu. We found this to be exceptional and had not had such a positive experience at any other restaurants like Mercato. The food was wonderful and satisfying. I would definitely recommend Mercato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've always had great mealsDinaDined on 3/29/2014I've always had great meals at Mercato's but was disappointed that their, fabulous, cauliflower dish was taken off the menu.Special Features:
- The restaurant was a bit onMigsDined on 3/27/2014The restaurant was a bit on the expensive side, but The food and service was on-par with the prices so all in all it was a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good birthday celebrationEigramDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated my sister's birthday with Sunday lunch at Mercato . It was our first time. The food was great. Everyone enjoyed everything.
- Mercato a gem in MissionBladesDined on 3/18/2014Another great experience at Mercato. Food and service were solid - and the atmoshere great for a business lunch. On a sunny day the patio kills!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Lunch at MercatoGlobalFoodieDined on 3/16/2014I took my my family out for a Sunday lunch at Mercato. It was everyone's first time here and the food was amazing. The service was lacking big time in comparison to other restaurants we frequent. Our waiter seemed a bit bothered to have to be doing his job. We had tiramisu for dessert which was just ok but other than that everything was deliscious and we will defiantly be back and hopefully have a different waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was adequate, not overlyfoodishoneDined on 3/14/2014food was adequate, not overly flavourful. appetizers arrived late -- after main course in fact and only after we asked on the whereabouts. service was very slow. honestly, better italian out there at any number of places. i like the take-out from mercato much better than in service food.
- Let down by my all time favorite.DissapointmentDined on 3/12/2014What a mess, poor service, over cooked steak, mistake on the first course, over crowded, mistake on bill, very disappointed by what is normally one of my favorite places to eat in the city.
- Awesome food but terrible serviceMeandafriendwentdinningDined on 3/9/2014I loved the food but i almost snaped at our server she was rude and angry for no reason.she didnt listen to us and wasnt attentive at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe the hypeWalkerVIPDined on 3/1/2014I have been to Mercato a number of times going back many years. This time was the last time for a while. From the hostess seating us at a seat that wasn't available, to the waiter screwing up our order, and the food not being anything special this was an underwhelming experience. And it is expensive. I would recommend if you plan on going out for a nice dinner, try another place. There are lots without the chip on their shoulder like Mercato seems to have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calgary FavHolodnyVIPDined on 3/1/2014Consistently good food-best eaten family style with multiple courses. Watching the open kitchen is bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimecorporateDined on 2/26/2014This was my first time at Mercato and we came as a group following a business meeting. The food came out really quick, our server provided great service, and the lively ambience of the venue made for a relaxed dining experience. The staff were really great at accommodating our reservation change when our meeting ran a bit long and made us run late. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum yumpoiypingDined on 2/21/2014Best Capriccio and Gnocchi I've ever had! Very loud I had to yell during my conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLessThanGoodVIPDined on 2/21/2014Really enjoy our meals here, service and food are amazing.Special Features:
- not so good as expected...giodoc68VIPDined on 2/11/2014place is trendy and lively but way too loud... wine list is really good and Italian for real although pricey for the value.. food to be reviewed..i tried pappardelle with octopus and it was a completely wrong dish.. sand in the dish (octopus not well prepared) and spicy tomato sauce that i never saw in italy coupled with the octopus... but service is very good! and it s probably worth another try..meat looked good from far..Special Features:
- Delish!lovesmepastaDined on 2/2/2014Mercato offers a well rounded menu with many options. It was great as a communication tool for the people I dined with as they did not know each other! The orange almond gnocchi is AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.