Mercato - Mission
2224 4th St SW
Calgary, AB T2S 1W9Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mercato - Mission
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercatogourmet.com/main.html
- Phone: (403) 263-5535
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mercato - Mission
Welcome to The Restaurant at Mercato. Join us in an authentic Italian experience in our open kitchen concept restaurant. We offer a wide array of traditional dishes and a bustling dining atmosphere!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mercato - Mission - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Mercato - Mission reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (21)special occasion (19)good for groups (18)notable wine list (16)romantic (12)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Very expensive for what you get. Can easily spend over $100 for 2 people without wine and still leave hungry. All the expense of fine dining without the taste to back it up. The food is either oversalted or underseasoned, no middle ground. They don't even bring you bread at the start unless you specifically ask for it.
- YummyLexiDined on 11/21/2014Loved our lunch. Looking forward to going back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOOD, Great ambiancekateatethatDined on 11/13/2014Phenomenal food and atmosphere at Mercato. Sitting at the kitchen bar is such a highlight. Watching the prep of the food is a really neat 'behind the scenes' experience. The food itself it simply wonderful and the wait staff are knowledgeable, attentive and seem to have a great team approach. Our evening was truly exceptional until our server lost interest in us. Thanks to the 'team' approach, we managed to continue to get served, but my water glass remained empty for most of the meal, the wine glasses were regularly empty, (when others' around us were being poured regularly), we had long since finished our main when the plates were taken away and the dessert menus sat with us for a long time. By the end of the evening, we were thrilled with everything except the service. Hope this isn't the case for everyone - it started off SO strong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent cuisine but expect salty MediterraneanCraycrayKiwiDined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed the low light level and ambient atmosphere. Tables are tight and the coat check buried at the back I later found out. We had the pork ribs which were excellent but be prepared for salty Mediterranean fair. We will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experienceBusinessDinerDined on 11/6/2014We had a business dinner there. Everyone had previously been there and had only great things to say about it. The food and drinks were wonderful. The service was fantastic. The ample parking in the back is one a great perk of the restaurant, as well.Special Features:
- Excellentluvedit23Dined on 11/1/2014Great wine and food! We had the tagliatelle with tomato sauce and it was so amazing and the 1/2 portion was enough for lunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014The atmosphere was quite serene and service was good. The meal did not meet my expectations but in all the evening was quite nice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2014Service better than other times. Server told us we needed 2 dishes per person - 8 for a party of 4 - that was excessive. 5 or 6 would have been fine and left room for dessert.
- Outstanding!!DanADined on 10/27/2014Chose Mercato after reading a couple of reviews and combing a few top 10 list on the web. Took three out of town colleagues with me after a long day of meetings at the office. It was the perfect ending to the day the food was incredible and the wine list was equally as impressive if you like Italian wines. Three standouts for me were the Bruschetta, Gnocchi, and the Bistecca which was hosestly one of the best peices of meat I have eaten in a long time at a restaurant! I would definitely recommend Mercato, it is definitely not inexpensive but it is worth every penny. Will definitely return and recommend it whole wholeheartedly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch experienceTraceyHDined on 10/19/2014This was the first time we had the pleasure of dining at Mercato and it was very enjoyable. There were five people in our party and each enjoyed different aspects of the meal. The server helped us choose selections from the menu for sharing based on our party size and it turned out very well. We were all full and satisfied at the end of the meal but still had room for few bites of their awesome Tiramisu. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food - poor service!OkanaganDinerDined on 10/18/2014We were seated along the bar which overlooks the kitchen. It was interesting to watch the chefs at work and see each individual dish prepared. It is however very noisy and it was often hard to hear our server speak. The dishes we ordered were fantastic however, our service was terrible and ruined what could have been an amazing evening. Our server paid little attention to us and we were unable to ask for recommendations or additional wine because of how infrequently he checked on us. Upon finishing our meals, it took over 15 min to have our dishes cleared and another 20 minutes to be presented with our bill. Several times we tried to locate him, we noticed him consistently chatting with other staff members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavy on the salt!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Pasta and appetizers were unique and interesting. Meat dish was pork ribs Tuscan style. Many people would have sent this dish back as it was near inedible due to extreme saltiness. Sadly, our server indicated AFTER the meal that we could ask for "half-salt" next time, and that the restaurant menu was indeed liberal with salt. Considering the reviews, we were puzzled and disappointed overall.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodValentineDined on 10/9/2014Exquisitely delicious food and preparation in traditional Italian style - Two can dine nicely by choosing one dish from each of their four columns - appetizer, pasta, main, sides - always enjoyableSpecial Features:
- Great RestaurantMeg1986Dined on 10/7/2014Amazing food, great service, would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Amazing food! Service great but...JreutoDined on 10/5/2014I've been wanting to take my girlfriend here for quite sometime but if you don't get a reservation at least 3-5 days in advance, you're gonna be out of luck. The food here is amazing! Be prepared to open your wallet as this isn't your typical restaurant like Earls or Moxie's. It's a traditional Italian 4 course meal (not including dessert) meaning it's basically a la carte. Each course ranges from $20 - $80. Wine list is superb! Great selection. As for the service, well our server didn't seem to want to be at work that day. She was attentive but distracted. We did notice the server helping the people next to us was very helpful with the menu and wine list. So, I'm assuming the service is pretty stellar other than our server.Special Features:
- Mercato MissionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014This was our first time at Mercato - Mission. It was not what I expected. It was extremely noisy and not a venue I would recommend going to if you are looking for a restaurant that you can talk with the other people in your party easily. I was also disappointed because the first two bottles of wine we selected were not available. We will probably not go back.Special Features:
- Food is always amazingSurprisedVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food here is always good, actually amazing. However, I am now seeing what everyone is saying ... They do have existing servers that are awesome, but our girl was new. She apologized for not filling drinks or following our instruction to get steak out so we could have a guest with a gluten allergy eat. He sat for an hour and a half with no food. We reminded her 4 times and she appeared not to care. She then said sorry, she should have rung in earlier but she got busy. Brutal. Worst service we've ever had here. Too bad. We love it here, but service has declined dramatically from the perfection they had. We will try it once more in Oct, but if they drop the ball, I don't think the food makes up for such awful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleaseRoadgoddessDined on 9/16/2014I love the simple, beautiful menu. Always a pleasure to eat here.Special Features:
- The following 417 reviews are from the Mercato - Mission reviews archive.
- Calgary favoriteHolodnyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Consistantly superior dining experience. Food best shared over several cources and eaten family style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AquilariaDined on 6/30/2014Been here a few times, and I've never had anything that's blown me away. I had battered cuttlefish for an appetizer, and the batter was undercooked and mushy. The pasta course was excellent, but my main (fish crusted with fennel) was underwhelming. I gave 3 stars because my friend loved what he ordered but if it were just me, it would have been 2 stars. Our server seemed distracted. Made a minor error with our drink order, was attentive through the first 2 courses then just seemed to disappear. It took us 20 minutes to get the bill, then another 15 minutes before he came back to run our credit card through.
- Great Food and ServiceWLAWDined on 6/23/2014The food and service at this restaurant is awesome the only thing that ruins it is the hostess. The first time they told us it would be a 45min,only to have the hostess to call me back 10 min later and tell me there is a table available. This time my wife had a torn back muscle and they seated us at a bar table, so she was uncomfortable. I asked if we could sit at a normal table but the hostess told us that it was reserved and that the person specifically asked for that table. I had also made a reservation and couldn’t choose what table I sat at. After about an hour I looked at the table of 6 that I asked to sit at and the hostess had pulled the table apart and sat a group of 3 and 4 in 2 separated tables.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014Our table wasn't ready when we arrived although we had a reservation. When asked the hostess if she could seat us somewhere else and she was very rude to us and told us NO even though there were other tables available. Our server hardly spoke to us and didn't crack a smile the entire time. After he gave us our bill he never returned to our table to offer us more water although we stayed for another 45 minutes. He seemed like he just wanted us to leave. The food was mediocre at best. I will not be going back to the restaurant again.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014Great service, wonderful food, vibrant energy, casual and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/20/2014We were sitting right in front of the cooking area do it was a bit hot there, but it was awesome watching the chefs at work, especially when it came to the double cut 24 ounce steak! Great service and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of a kindTrapperVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always a great experience. The staff and food make it unique and I would highly recommend for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively!KimnickeDined on 6/19/2014Very loud and full of life. Not the greatest place to have good conversation. Menu a bit confusing. Waiter helped us but we still ended up with something that we didn't expect. They did credit our bill though but seemed annoyed that we didn't understand the menu. Didn't feel rushed. Food was excellent. Have been there before. Food is always great but I would prefer quieter place.Special Features:
- Mercato MissionScourtDined on 6/16/2014Absolutely fantastic service and great food however since they have changed their menu to the new summer menu it seems as though portion sizes are smaller. I've been to mercato before and ordered the same number of dishes and have had to pack food up because we didn't eat it all. This time around we ate everything and left a bit hungry......Special Features:
- great atmosphere and great foodbella17Dined on 6/15/2014We had a lunch here recently with our two children and really enjoyed every moment. The waitress was friendly, extremely efficient and knowledgeable and gave really good advice with our menu choices. The food was excellent and we will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- best resturant in calgary.Rachard71Dined on 6/9/2014Great food and atmosphere. Ask for a seat a the counter by the kitchenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodCooksneedgoodfoodtooDined on 5/23/2014Mercator mission has really good food, but is a very loud restaurant. The service was great! Still a place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavouriteHolodnyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Consistently good quality food - best with multiple courses shared family style. The bisteca was done to perfection. Love the open kitchen and being able to watch the cooking and seeing different entrees being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never let's us down!HappymamaVIPDined on 5/13/2014Another awesome Mercado experience. Our waiter took care of all our needs impeccably. Our family style meal was top notch! A little taste of Italy in downtown Calgary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2014We came as a group celebrating a b'day and the service was very good attentive personal and the food amazing. If you want a quiet evening not the place to come.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2014Took the family for a birthday dinner. Food, service, wine selection was excellent.Special Features:
- An ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014It was our first experience at Mercato's and we were seated at the Italian Style counter across from the cooks and grill. There was only 2 of us and we were side by side which was fine. It was interesting to watch the cooks. After a while, it did get pretty warm and my husband was hit by salt flying off the grill. The waiter explained the menu and it was an interesting concept, choosing one item from each category. It would of been nicer to have more people so we could of tried more dishes. The pasta was excellent as well as the bruschetta and tiramisu. I would definitely go back with a group of people.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!GloriaDined on 5/1/2014Loved everything about this place! Have been here before and always enjoyed it. I just had a birthday lunch there and was greeted with warmth! Thank you, victor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HolodnyVIPDined on 4/26/2014As usual excellent food. Wine list is on the expensive side.Special Features:
- Mis-steaktreschicDined on 4/25/2014Our steak was overdone and when we complained, the cook took umbrage and challenged us. We got a new one, but after some frustrating banter with our waiter.
- Too noisyHoustonEatsVIPDined on 4/25/2014This place would be fantastic if you could actually hear what your dining companions had to say. The recent renovation created many more seats...and that much more noise. There is no sound dampening and everyone I've brought here to enjoy a meal has said they will not return because of the noise. Reservationists were absolutely wonderful and flexible - could not have been nicer - but servers can be a bit surly. The place is always packed so clearly I'm in the minority of people who want a dining experience which leaves their hearing and voice intact.
- Outstanding good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Dedicated to delivering an authentic Italian experience, with each course we were engaged in the history, flavours and all that is Italian about food, wine and celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.