102 N. Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercatocharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437226393
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ben Ellsworth
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Seated dinners are our specialty. We also, however, provide exceptional cocktail hours with heavy hors d'vours and antipasti stations with open bar options.
- Private Party Facilities: The perfect space for small to large group functions. Host your rehearsal dinner or wedding reception in our beautifully appointed second floor din ing room. We also provide half room options for that smaller more intimate feeling for business groups.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Miller 8437226393
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Seven Nights a Week from
Sunday thru Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Friday and Saturday 6:00pm-12:00am featuring:
Sunday- Jordan Gravel and Simon Harding(6-9 pm)
Monday- Gerald Gregory and Ron Wiltrout
Tuesday- Frank Duvall Instrumental Jazz Trio
Wednesday- The Pulse Trio
Thursday- The Jordan Gravel Trio
Friday- Jazz Pianist Frank Duvall and Prof. D and the Holy City Jazzers
Saturday- Robert Lewis, Gerald Gregory, and Ron Wiltrout
A word from Mercato
Mercato brings authentic and delicious Italian-American dishes to Charleston's Historic City Market. An evening at Mercato blends classic Italian recipes from all regions, an extraordinary selection of affordable wines, a comfortable ambiance and a spirited bar scene paced by LIVE jazz. The restaurant offers attentive service and enjoyment on two levels: diners choose seating at the lively community table, banquettes and bar downstairs or ascend a glowing staircase to romantic and private tables upstairs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercato reviews from OpenTable diners
- diningBaucomDined on 1/2/2014We were a little upset that we weren't given a private table. The food was very good, however the salads were overpriced. Overall experience was very good.Special Features:
- ExcellentPhillyMikeDined on 12/31/2013Food was excellent on New Years the service fantastic, right off City Market a half block from the hotel. Our whole table was greatly satisfied. John our server was one of the best, attentive without being intrusive. A GREAT NY EVE!!!!Special Features:
- great findcathrobDined on 12/30/2013Crowded, friendly, delicious, my bucatini carbonara was perfect -- both classic and a little different with pancetta and green onionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceHappyDined on 12/30/2013Loved this place was out first time we had a nice table upstairs food was excellent highly recommend the lasagna. We ordered couple appetizers and shared. Cauliflower pancake and Brussels sprouts were also excellent. Also some of the best mussels we have had in some time. They were very busy but that did not impact our service at all. Waitress brought our dishes very timely so we could enjoy our dinner and not feel rushed. Loved this place and wi go back when visiting Charleston!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in Charleston.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/29/2013Best Italian in Charleston. Live jazz and family ownedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnhappyKateDined on 12/28/2013I have eaten at Mercato twice before and was so pleased...this time not so much. You are well known for your tagliatelle bolognese, which we were so looking forward to having again as a highlight to our holiday vaca. However the portions were almost half what we were served previously and there was very little of your awesome sauce in the dish. It was less than fantastic. Also, our server Matt, while he had a nice personality, was slow and left us for long stretches, even after we requested a beverage or dipping oil. But most disruptive to our table guests was the way that he and the other server crossed over in front of us to 'hand over' a dish. There was plenty of room to come around. That is rude and inexcusable for any restaurant.
- Great night at MercatoBevmehrDined on 12/28/2013Wonderful meal, great bar scene. Matt, the general manager, is a gem. We were a party so six, with a table downstairs, but we preferred upstairs. Matt moved us immediately, no fuss, no problems, and it was an extremely busy night for them, just being the Sat. Eve after Christmas. And he's very knowledgeable about wine selections. Wonderful evening, thank you Matt and your staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeBucksterDined on 12/27/2013I ordered the sheepshead fish special with risotto and a shrimp bouillabaisse sauce and sautéed kale. It was all cooked to perfection. The owner Matt is very charming and interested in making your dining experience very special.Special Features:
- We have been to Mercato'ssouthpawDined on 12/27/2013We have been to Mercato's before. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The ceasar salad left a little to be desired. For an upscaled Italian restaurant the salad was one step above Wendy's. It had a very strong Anchovie taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner at MercatoBrianFantanaDined on 12/27/2013The ambiance was nice. A sultry vibe but still lively and engaging. Wonderful live piano and drums played with perfect volume. Our service was top notch. The calamari was some of the best I've ever had. The lasagna was superb. Request a table by the window. I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas EveHighpocketsDined on 12/24/2013We were not sure what to expect having dinner out on Christmas Eve for the first time in years (we are usually out of town with family) We were pleasantly surprised. Food was delicious, reservation was as we requested, service even for a busy holiday was good. Wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great service inattentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Christmas Eve so maybe short staffed but first time we have had poor service here. Waiter was frequently no where to be found. Long waits for food, dessert and the bill. Diasappointed and frustrated. Our first round of drinks took 15 minutes before we were even asked. Otherwise food was tasty, well presented and ambiance delightful. If they meant for us to linger they succeeded.love the Jazz band.Special Features:
- Great service, food, and music!ErinFDined on 12/21/2013We ate here during our visit to Charleston for my husband's birthday. Service was outstanding: both prompt and courteous. Food was seasoned well and nicely portioned; our favorites were the mussels and tiramisu (best dessert of all the meals we had during the weekend!). We enjoyed the romantic ambiance and live jazz music. We look forward to our next trip and meal at Mercato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice restaurant to take outdee2Dined on 12/20/2013nice restaurant to take out of town guests for a nice meal has a varied menu with interesting choices presentation of the food was good and it was moderately priced for CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We decided to go to MercatoOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013We decided to go to Mercato for dinner with our 10 yr old daughter before seeing a show DT…it was perfect! The food was great…the pizza was an amazing surprise, osso bucco was perfect and my pasta with meatballs was excellent! The service was perfect! This restaurant never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the BestConanDined on 12/19/2013Dined in the spring of this year and would say it was an okay place then but the food and atmosphere has dropped significantly when we went again in December. Would not recommend.... many other places in the same area where prices are more competitive and food is much better. Surprised the food quality was so marginal. It is going after a different crowd now, just not sure who they are... the place was almost empty when we were there. The location is perhaps its only advantage.
- Authentic italianMsikes84Dined on 12/14/2013Great food. They did some traditional italian dishes very well, not the americanized versions. Live music made the ambiance very nice. Adequate service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-holiday dinnerfrankdDined on 12/14/2013the service and food were outstanding, and the waiter was very informative about the serving portions. we decided to split the lazana pasta, and the appetizer of fried green tomatoes was excellent. we will be back again in the near future.Special Features:
- Fish SubstituemjsandfjsDined on 12/13/2013I was very disappointed that I was charged for the fish special which was supposed to be snapper, when I was given a tasteless unfirm white fish. The sauce was good but the fish below Mercato's standards. When a sub like this is made, the price should be lowered. The restaurant should join other gourmet spots and offer some gluten-free bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average food for CharlestonAllanDined on 12/13/2013Not a place locals will support. There are too many options with better menu and better food.
- Very relaxing atmosphere withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/10/2013Very relaxing atmosphere with a 3 piece jazz band playing. More fun to sit downstairs than upstairs if possible but it was fine upstairs as well. Would highly recommend the shrimp scampi. Had it the first time we were there and went back to have it again.Special Features:
- Solid Findsea2questDined on 12/9/2013good food, good sized portions. live jazz. italian food. bar was packed on a monday night. lotsa room for eating. great to find this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian & JazzCharlestonBrideVIPDined on 12/8/2013Fantastic food, wine, service and entertainment. Could not ask for more! Great location too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013Great ambiance, good service, and delicious food! Authentic Italian menu with varied selections. Good location for shopping or just to be in the heart of downtown Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CitiesboundDined on 12/7/2013Outstanding says it all. Our second night in charleston was a bit rainy and cold. The Mercator made up for that. Great menu, friendly and professional waitstaff, excellent food served hot with plentiful portions. Live jazz downstairs played continuously and could easily be heard but wasn't overpowering. Beautiful inside. Perfect place for a special occasion or romantic night or just because. Ask to be seated upstairs. Prices were fair for the service and ambience provided. Would absolutely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday night outmikeckDined on 12/7/2013We had dinner at Mercado last Saturday night. Nice table, great food, wonderful waitress. Live piano music during dinner - we had to leave for Theatre 99 before the 'real jazz' started... Very enjoyable visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Charleston, SCOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2013Tried Mercato for the first time on Friday. The food was delicious, our waitress Kelly, excellent. Hostess needs some work. Tried to seat us in the bar in the window with another couple at our table while a whole diningroom was awaited upstairs. Order the cauliflower pancake. It is great! The vongole was excellent. The veal piccata and scallops great too! Will definitely try again.Special Features:
- Excellent!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/6/2013We ate at Mercato's with my niece & her husband. The entire experience was PERFECT! We WILL return!!! If you are looking for great food, superior service, excellent atmosphere, then this is THE place! We went to Low Country Bistro the following night... What a DISAPPOINTMENT!!! We should have returned to Mercato's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian ever!!jbh55VIPDined on 11/30/2013My family and I LOVED this place!! Everything was wonderful!! Ive never had such a perfect lasagna (and Im very picky). The flavors melt in your mouth… different in every bite. Perfect ratio … sauce, noodles, cheeses and meat. I wish I lived in Charleston, I'd be there every week. We also had veal and a pizza. Both excellent as well!! Congratulations to the owner and chef!! You have accomplished what every restaurant wants: perfection!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionVacationerfromNCDined on 11/30/2013This was a very nice restaurant to treat my girlfriend to a nice birthday dinner while on vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningDivadiningoutdivaDined on 11/30/2013Food and Service were excellent. Loved the pizza...it's the size of a medium pizza so if you're ordering it as an appetizer...make sure you're either very hungry or have a couple of people to share it with.Special Features:
- Delicious Dinnerluv2eatitalianfoodVIPDined on 11/30/2013My husband and I enjoyed the veal piccata with root vegetables that we ordered for dinner. Great bar area and listening to the Jazz musicians was a plus to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Good TimeKarenVIPDined on 11/29/2013This was my second visit to Mercato, and just like the first time, it did not disappoint. The food was subtely prepared to bring out the flavors. The Carbonara was delicately made, without a heavy hand, which made for a great dinner. The bread is what all Italian restaurants should serve. The staff was friendly and knowledgable, even if they are in a prime spot for tourist traffic. They could cater to the lowest common denominator from a location perspective,but instead they choose to treat you as a much welcomed guest, the jazz trio added just the right note to a perfectly timed and prepared meal. We will return,because when you find something good, you go back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- visiting the south2fordinnerDined on 11/29/2013The food and service were good. I didn't like the way that the tables were arranged because you were too close to the other diners and could hear their conversations. The people next to us were very talkative.Special Features:
- Lowcountry ItalianSuzyQDined on 11/26/2013We were seated promptly, our waiter Chris was excellent, attentive but not overbearing. When asked about menu selections he was most helpful. They even prepared veal marsala for me, which was not on the menu. The jazz trio was good, but a bit loud. We were seated downstairs which is not as cozy as upstairs. When in Charleston, we will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Italian!ILIKESTEAKDined on 11/23/2013Very good Italian restaurant in downtown Charleston. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Best Italian this side of AtlanticLoveItalianFoodDined on 11/23/2013Mercato's was suggested by a friend since we were going to visit Charleston. We were told about the wonderful live Jazz music and delicious food. We had NO IDEA how delicious! I have not tasted food like that since we were in Italy! The fresh local ingredients, fresh made mozzarella, and homemade pasta.... So outstanding! Everything was perfect! Thank you to our server Matt...super! The general manager Mike Miller was personable and makes sure that everyone is having a memorable time! We are looking forward to coming back....soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2013Leah did an amazing job, and the hostess was so sweet and bubbly as soon as we walked in. The wine and food were delicious...what a downtown gem! The music was a nice touch without being too loud,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantwaukeeraVIPDined on 11/15/2013We traveled from Iowa to enjoy Charleston and choose to eat at Mercato based on the reviews we had read. Everything was excellent. The service was good. Our waitress was attentive and was well informed of the menu. She was able to give us recommendations of what to order. Every entree we ordered was excellent. Would for sure go back to this restaurant if ever in Charleston again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Italian food and ambiancegreatplace2eatDined on 11/15/2013Charleston has great restaurants, but as a local I have found few authentic Italian places like NYC. Mercato fills that need, with the classic favorites and daily specials. The Veal Picata was wonderful. Portions are properly sized, the meal was piping hot, the veal fork tender, and the vegetable not over cooked.Jazz starts at 6 and the pianist, Frank Duval, is the best. When he is joined at 7:30 with the members of the quartet it just can't be beat. The first floor is the bar/lounge and upstairs is a more formal dining room. The jazz is also piped upstairs. Great professional and friendly service. As a local I highly recommend this restaurant. Just remember its Italian, not shrimp and grits. Make a reservation so you won't be disappointed.Special Features: