Mercat a La Planxa
638 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Mercat a La Planxa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mercatchicago.com/
- Phone: 3127650524
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Saturday & Sunday 7:00 am to 11:00 a.m.
Brunch: Sunday - 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Lunch: Daily - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Lounge Menu Available: Daily - 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday & Saturday: 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sage Restaurant Group has been successful in creating memories for clients by providing them with superior food & service. Please inquire within for catering services.
- Cross Street: Balbo
- Public Transit: Nearest Red-line Stop is Harrison, head east on Balbo, restaurant is on the corner of Balbo & Michigan.
Bus lines are the #3, #127, #129 all three stop at the entrance of Mercat a la Planxa.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available on Balbo located at the Entrance of Mercat a la Planxa, $14 per car.
A word from Mercat a La Planxa
Mercat a La Planxa features an extraordinary selection of tapas dishes from cut-to-order charcuterie and cheeses to fresh seafood, steaks and chops, all inspired by Spain's Catalan region. The impressive menu includes an emphasis on meats and seafood served 'a la planxa' or grilled-to-order. At the bar enjoy a tempting array of seasonally inspired sangrias, Spanish-styled cocktails, an extensive collection of Spanish cavas and our carefully selected wine list featuring 40 Spanish wines available by the bottle or by the glass.Continued
Private dining is available in our upstairs space, La Veranda, overlooking the entire main dining room.
Private dining is available in our upstairs space, La Veranda, overlooking the entire main dining room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercat a La Planxa reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)good for groups (91)special occasion (86)romantic (44)hot spot (41)scenic view (36)neighborhood gem (35)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Reasonable prices, great food and service. Gets to be too loud after being in there over an hour.Special Features:
- De-lish!tsmilesDined on 9/11/2014Came here with a small group of friends. The food was amazing! The atmosphere was great! The vibe was fun! The service was spot on - There when we needed her and offered superb suggestions!Special Features:
- LisabDined on 9/9/2014The degustacion menu was excellent, but too much food per person. A scale down in amount and price & would be perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Tapas!IrvineFamilyTravelsDined on 9/8/2014My husband and I ordered a $65/person sample menu for dinner. They even accommodated our different dietary restrictions. I wish we were hungrier! Plates kept coming, each one more delicious than the other. All small plates but there were 13 or 14 of them, we lost count, everything very tasty and beautifully presented. The one thing I could do without was the annoying background techno music but that is a matter of taste and didn't affect the quality of food.Special Features:
- Exceeded our expectationspvfoodieDined on 9/5/2014Everything we put in our mouths was divine. Since it was our first experience at Mercat, we didn't really know what to order. I typically don't enjoy tapas and wanted to have a salad and paella. Although the chicken paella was very good, I would say the highlight was one of us ordering the tasting menu. Over the top fabulous. Best lamb chop I have ever eaten. I definitely would like to dine at Mercat again.Special Features:
- Too saltyLoriDined on 9/4/2014Service was very friendly and fast. The waiter made sure he had picked a glass of wine that I liked and was willing to replace it if I didn't. But the food was very salty and missed a little subtlety. The place was lively, too noisy for me. I thought of the restaurants that I had tried in Barcelona, that's the kind of small, lively, a little disorganized but oh! so delicious place I was looking for. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Very niceboooVIPDined on 9/1/2014This was only my fifth visit over the years, but food continues to be excellentSpecial Features:
- tapas menulialeDined on 8/31/2014good selection of tapas, nice choices of 3 different kinds of sangriaSpecial Features:
- Great place! You gotta try it.oltexanDined on 8/28/2014Saw Jose Garces on Iron Chef and just had to try this place when we were in town. Its another in a line of stellar Chicago at the end! restaurants. We did the $65 tasting menu and the tapas just keep coming, one better than the other. Then scallops, lamb chops and beef... all delicious. Yes were full at the end! Also has a good list of Spanish wines. Easy 4 stars in my book and on our short list. Would be very reasonably priced to just come and order off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014My wife and I spend a great evening celebrating our 18 wed anniversary. It was awesome the service and a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BeverleeVIPDined on 8/23/2014Been here a few times. This was the VERY best. Bravo to chef and staff. Paella was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointing servicejc1291819Dined on 8/22/2014Unfortunately we were in a party of 6 so our waiter Mateo (sp?) had an automatic tip added and no incentive to give good service. We had to flag him down or ask the busboys to get him every time we wanted a drink or to order food, and he was particularly abrupt, would take a drink order and walk away without asking if anyone else wanted a drink. The food was solid, but had to knock a star off for high prices (known in advance) but the price to size of tapa ratio was disappointing. Also bacon wrapped dates are a staple of tapas and these tasted to me like they were made from a box. Otherwise, all dishes were great, oxtail ravioli was fantastic, goat ropa vieja was also a highlight. Cocktails were also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service in Slow MotionOzeaterVIPDined on 8/21/2014My party of 4 ordered some small plates and all of us wanted something different. One diner was a vegetarian and couldn't even eat some of the meat-based dishes that the other 3 of us ordered. In spite of that our server spread out our dishes over a two-hour period causing one diner to eat while the others sat waiting for food. The dish that I ordered at 7:30 didn't come to the table until 9:15p. I resent a restaurant that insists on controlling my dining experience to the extent that Mercat does and won't be back as a result.
- Too expensivemikeDined on 8/18/2014I'm catalan and I was excited about having dinner in a catalan cuisine restaurant in Chicago.
- Not a good restaurantkbtocabetoDined on 8/17/2014Sangria was watery Pulpito was burned CALAMARI was ok Mixto Croquetas was ok Patatas bravas were good CROQUETES DE XOCOLATA were good I am a spanish food lover and lived in Spain
- So SoFantasticDined on 8/16/2014I've been going to Mercat for years. Unfortunately, this trip found the food okay and the service rushed. It's become a serve the masses versus a gourmet destination.
- Pleasant SurpriseJesyDined on 8/15/2014I am not crazy about tapa style cuisine, but must say that Mercat surprised me. The food was exquisite. The service was also outstanding. We went with our 10 month old and the server was very accommodating and understanding. Overall, a very positive experience. A definite must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tapas!DiningwithDaisyDined on 8/15/2014While the menu offers a variety of wonderful choices, I recommend putting yourself in the chef's hands for a terrific and flavorful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!yummyinmytummyDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriends and I plan a dinner date every couple of months. The evening we went to Mercat a la Planxa, we were so involved in our conversation, we didn't look at the menu. The server suggested 3 wines to us. The one we chose was an outstanding red. I'm not a wine drinker normally, & I don't remember the name of it, but it was delicious. We also chose the chef's selection for dinner. Every dish that was brought out to us was outstanding. My favorite was the bacon wrapped dates. I will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014We have been to Mercat several times, and usually get the tasting menu. They are able to accommodate the fact that one of us is a vegetarian, with no problem. The food is consistently interesting and delicious. The service was knowledgeable and friendly, without hovering. Love the decor. Love everything about this restaurant!Special Features:
- Bad serviceMarzDined on 8/14/2014Bar service was great, food was nothing to write home about. Wait staff and hostess just down right bad. I expected service to be top of the line. I have eaten in many of the iron chef restaurants , this was a disappointment in food taste.Special Features:
- A Catalan touch in the Windy CityAldoDined on 8/11/2014Took some Catalán friends and they were impressed. Stay away from the set menu. Order a few different tapas and it is also a great value.Special Features:
- WonderfulroadwarriorVIPDined on 8/9/2014We did the wine pairing tasting menu and it was just wonderful, although more food than we thought anticipated at a tapas restaurant! Everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Make sure you're hungry - the food and service is amazing - a little noisy, though. I will definitely dine there again on my next trip to Chicago!Special Features:
- GoodJohnyVIPDined on 8/9/2014We decided to go there on the same day we actually went so we couldn't order the Cochinillo - you have to order it 3 days in advance. The Paella Negra was the best paella I had in Chicago. The tapas were Ok, except for the octopus, which I do not recommend. The ambiance was ok but far away from what I expected from a Catalan restaurant.
- Kept getting betternewfoodieDined on 8/9/2014Every dish came out and topped the last. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Mercat a la PlanxaPeterDined on 8/7/2014Nice environment, decent restaurant, decent food, nothing remarkable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/5/2014Food was greasy and over priced. And service was sub par. Went for lunch, there were only two tables filled. Yet the waiter still forgot our drinks, didn't re-fill my coffee and took forever with the bill. There are so many better options in Chicago. Not going back.
- Best Tapas in this part of town!TyronneDined on 8/4/2014Went here to celebrate my partner's birthday and am very pleased with our experience. We could not decide which items to order from the menu so we went all out - ordered the de luxe chef's offering. I'm glad we did because the chef/kitchen did not disappoint. I did not love everything but there is nothing that they served us that I will send back to the kitchen. It was A LOT of food. So eat like you are from Spain/Catalan... which means savor your food over long conversations. My favorites for sure are the octopus, risotto, cheese and meat platter, and the ox tail ravioli. If you will try just ONE (which I do not recommend), definitely go with the ox tail ravioli. It's a mouthful of heaven.Special Features:
- Must Eat HereReaditDined on 8/4/2014The express lunch is a steal. The fig salad was the best I have ever tasted. The burger was cooked perfectly. So happy we made a lunch stop here on our Chicago vacation. One of our favorite meals of our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, fun choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014we got a bunch of tacos de siempre and other small plates, they were fantastic. our waiter expedited in great order and I highly recommend getting the first desert.Special Features:
- Amazing variety of favorsLuv2eatDined on 7/29/2014The chef does an outstanding job of combining flavors and is very creativeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just yummy!cfresVIPDined on 7/28/2014Great service, nice Spanish wines..butternut squash ravioli with lamb ragout was to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mercat Amazing!staryanDined on 7/27/2014Our family of four left with our jaws hanging open. We were stunned and amazed by the delicious food we experienced. Our 21 & 19 year old had never done tapas before and now they are hooked. Our waiter did a great job of explaining tapas to the table and we appreciated the complimentary brushetta appetizer. Our waiter recommended we each pick three items....some of us only picked two and we had PLENTY of food. Hats off to the chefs for unbelievable matchings of flavors and pairing food items some of us never would have tried. We will definitely return the next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchSloopgirlDined on 7/27/2014I have been to Mercat for dinner on numerous occasions but never for brunch. What a treat! Highly recommend the chef's tasting, so worth the $30!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looks great, but...HonestAboutFoodDined on 7/26/2014The food looks great here, but unfortunately the flavors are only fair. For example, the wild mushrooms were oily, and the garlic shrimp was so salty it was difficult to eat.
- Worth the visiteat2liveDined on 7/25/2014For lunch we had the 4 course tapas tasting and it was a very good way to try several of the excellent menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/24/2014Great place for foodies. Portions are generous to share. However, noise level was just too loud. No place to use your indoor voice.Special Features:
- Yummy BrunchTiDuDined on 7/20/2014The restaurant is definitely fit for folks with a mature pallet. The tasting menu at the brunch was totally worth the $28 and had tons of great options. They also won me over by preparing a "kids tasting menu" for my toddler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not kid-friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Came to the restaurant with our 18 month old in a trike that you can push as a stroller. The hostess was putting our trike away when a rude waiter shouted at us that they would not take responsibility for the trike. I found this strange since I have travelled out of town and restaurants will store our carseat if we took a cab. We sat in the bar to keep the trike near our table. I know the restaurant serves brunch and began to wonder what does the restaurant do with strollers. I went upstairs and asked another hostess about strollers and was told they seat those guest in a certain area or put the strollers in the coat check. We are south loopers and don't plan to return. If you have young ones and want tapas head to Valencia on state st.Special Features:
- ExceptionalSpainaliveDined on 7/18/2014This was our second time to Mercat. It was as exceptional as I remember. We consider ourselves foodies and the has probably been the best food I have experienced in my life. Many of the plates have very deep different levels of flavor. Service was impeccable. My wife and I had "perma-grins" all the way back to the hotel. Highly recommend and a not to miss if you are in Chicago. The stuffed dates, garlic shrimp, and butternut dumplings were our favorites.Special Features: