Mercat a La Planxa
638 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
Mercat a La Planxa
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mercatchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 765-0524
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Saturday & Sunday 7:00 am to 11:00 a.m.
Brunch: Sunday - 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Lunch: Daily - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Lounge Menu Available: Daily - 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday & Saturday: 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Spanish
- Executive Chef: Jose Garces
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sage Restaurant Group has been successful in creating memories for clients by providing them with superior food & service. Please inquire within for catering services.
- Cross Street: Balbo
- Public Transit: Nearest Red-line Stop is Harrison, head east on Balbo, restaurant is on the corner of Balbo & Michigan.
Bus lines are the #3, #127, #129 all three stop at the entrance of Mercat a la Planxa.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available on Balbo located at the Entrance of Mercat a la Planxa, $14 per car.
A word from Mercat a La Planxa
Mercat a La Planxa features an extraordinary selection of tapas dishes from cut-to-order charcuterie and cheeses to fresh seafood, steaks and chops, all inspired by Spain's Catalan region. The impressive menu includes an emphasis on meats and seafood served 'a la planxa' or grilled-to-order. At the bar enjoy a tempting array of seasonally inspired sangrias, Spanish-styled cocktails, an extensive collection of Spanish cavas and our carefully selected wine list featuring 40 Spanish wines available by the bottle or by the glass.Continued
Private dining is available in our upstairs space, La Veranda, overlooking the entire main dining room.
Private dining is available in our upstairs space, La Veranda, overlooking the entire main dining room.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpanish
Mercat a La Planxa - Best Restaurants in South Loop ›
Mercat a La Planxa reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)good for groups (106)special occasion (91)hot spot (67)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (47)notable wine list (40)scenic view (37)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (19)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- mercat al la planxaCinCinDined on 11/18/2014A wonderful treat for foodies! Traditional and non-traditional tapas abound and in rare form- combinations and great flavors not usually encountered. A gem for the area and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of three, right this wayfoodserviceveteranDined on 11/18/2014Chicago wind chill was unbearable and we needed a table for three not far from the Chicago Hilton. Mercat came highly recommended, so we gave it a try. Not only was everything superb, but it seemed as though the menu was made perfectly for a three person party...lots of Tapas in three piece combinations, so we had a wonderful time trying many delightful trios.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LjmmDined on 11/15/2014We got the Chef's Tasting Menu with wine pairing. Every bite we tasted was amazing. A very fun place to go with a group or for a special occasion. It's a great room with awesome windows overlooking Michigan Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mercat was a great location for lunch with family.IMCIABDined on 11/15/2014The atmosphere was energetic, but not too loud. The music was a spanish jazz, which was very nice.Special Features:
- lot of money, minimal foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014Been to Spain twice, enjoyed the food there, Mercat food was good, but the quanitity was fairly minimal. Barely saw our waiter, just servers, did not like the bottle of wine being almost 5 tables away instead of by us. Had to wait 5-10 minutes to have more poured, hate the fix price dinner, hate to say it but we left hungry after spending $130.00 for the food for two. The couple next to us ordered the same meal, and we joked about it with them, for some reason, they received more food, especially the lamb chops and other plates than we did, we joked about it with them.Special Features:
- StrangeOneDined on 11/14/2014we had a terrific time. We ordered from the upper end tasting menu and everything that was brought to us was terrific. We'll definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Mercat never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Great tapas menu. The variety is pretty awesome. Please get the lamb chops and the bacon wrapped dates. If this restaurant were in a prime location, it would be very difficult to get a reservation. Nicely tucked inside the blackstone hotel. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapa & paellajavierVIPDined on 11/13/2014Before ordering drinks...order the valenciana paella. Excellent The iberico ham and cheeses were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!SKQWDined on 11/8/2014Amazing food and wonderful service. The Chef's Luxury Tasting Menu is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent service and qualityplanxaDined on 11/7/2014A la cart or chef's selection. You can't go wrong. All choices are heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasJaykayVIPDined on 11/6/2014Every dish was delicious! Dates, short rib flatbread, shrimp, char, butternut squash dish and mushrooms (my favorite). Good service, great location (south loop). Will definitely return.Special Features:
- To goOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/6/2014Mercat is located in the Blackstone Hotel (another good restaurant south of the river in Chicago). We'd made a reservation for breakfast, but my husband wasn't ready. So, I went to the restaurant and asked if I could take our breakfast to the room. Yes. And we got our 100 OT points. Very accommodating. Great food.
- FantasticVvddDined on 11/2/2014This iron chef really mastered his vasque cuisine! Great tapas with a twist. Lamb ravioli, cochinillo asado and the bacon dates are simply to die for! A must while in chicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experienceMerloDined on 11/1/2014Very knowledgeable waiter. Very interesting and original favors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful lunch spotlialeDined on 11/1/2014I had lunch on Saturday for my birthday. Service was excellent had lunch special 2 courses plus drink for $18. Great value. Drink refilled for free, plus a got one to go. Fig and proscuitto salad delicious, plus had shrimp chorizo pizza. Very generous portions. Will be back.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We went to this restaurant before the All Blacks Rugby tournament, and it was a good experience.
- Nevery disapointedSLoopHangryDined on 11/1/2014The Server did an excellent job describing each dish. I am glad I took his advice when ordering. The Sangria was also tasty. Our Bus Boy did such a good job clearing plates and refilling water. I kind of have a "thing" with used/finished plates sitting in front of me...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellentJillyDined on 10/31/2014Always have wonderful grub at Mercat, but was a little disappointed with our server.Special Features:
- Good great - wait staff badOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/30/2014Great food - wait staff were not courteous and slow.
- Tasty TapasFeedMeMohrDined on 10/29/2014Our service was great. The food was amazing, served tapas style. Great date spot!Special Features:
- PerfectDaveCyDined on 10/29/2014From the staff to the speed of service and the great unique wine list, our group of 5 had an amazing experience. They also were very helpful with people who may have had special food needs.Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014I was rather disappointed by Mercat. I had heard really great reviews about the chorizo dates and the restaurant in general. It's a beautiful restaurant and the service is great when it's not busy. However, it is incredibly overpriced for what it is. Four chorizo dates the size of my thumb were extremely underwhelming. I understand that the pricing is probably due to the massive space and its prime location. But, the taste of the food doesn't match and parking is horrendous here.Special Features:
- Great food, fair serviceGoodTasteDined on 10/28/2014Tuesday night visit. Place was crowded w several groups. Server was knowledgeable and, when present, very good. Problem? Management grossly understaffed the servers. Our server was covering a large number of tables so neglect was inevitable. Food was very good-Tapas style. Would have ordered more if we saw our server. Overall, I expected way moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What fun!ZeusGuyVIPDined on 10/28/2014A group of 4 went to Mercat & ordered the Chief's tasking menu. We had a great time. The waitress was fun and informative. One person didn't eat beef or pork and they accommodated her with separate dishes when appropriate. 90% of the ~20 dishes were fantastic. Highlights were the garlic shrimp, wild mushroom flatbread, rabbit pasta, lamb chops, and bacon wrapped dates (& I don't like dates). The spanish omelet was too salty. The deserts however were a bit disappointing.Special Features:
- very good, on the verge of great.snobbyprickDined on 10/27/2014My complaints are pretty minimal and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to a friend. We ordered the chefs lux tasting menu with wine pairings and save for one dish it was excelent. It's a lot of food, it's a bit pricey (350ish) for what we ordered but you could certainly have a cheaper night there ordering differently. The place is busy and some times it felt like the courses were either coming out too quickly or too slowly, the noise level was also high. It wasn't as tuned of an experience as I would have liked but over all it left me satisfied. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- Delicious!LavidaBuenaDined on 10/26/2014The hubby & I arrived for our 6 pm reservation on a Monday - a good time because it was not overly busy. (It was nearly full by 7 p.m.) We sampled several tapas over the course of 1 1/2 hrs. The wait staff was polite, helpful and quick to replace empty plates with the next course. We started with the Boquerones and Pulpo. I was hesitant about the anchovies, since I normally don't like them, but these were fresh and delicious. The octopus was perfectly smoky-seasoned (and not rubbery.) Other hits: the lamp pintxos and arctic char (Peixos.) The "coca de hamon & queso" was also fabulous, and of course, the bacon-wrapped dates were a perfect slightly-sweet finish to the meal. Don't miss those!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Great food, place is busy and loud, your server can make or break a meal and our server did nothing for us and spent very little time at our table. Would definitely go back, it's good food and a good time trying all the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ok serviceDutch1964Dined on 10/25/2014We were impressed with the food. All of the choices we made were excellent. We ordered 5 tapas with the two of us and had 2 dessert tapas more than enough food for sure. The service was OK...the person filling up the water was very attentive the server was not very attentive, almost felt like we were a bit of a burden.Special Features:
- KTravDined on 10/24/2014Mediocre paella Nero and our waiter was difficult to find when we needed somethingSpecial Features:
- Best Spanish Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Mercat a La Planxa is incredible! Wonderful lamb kebobs, squid and shrimp. The wine selection by the glass was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceCharmCityEaterVIPDined on 10/23/2014I've visited several of Jose Garces' properties in and around Philly, and never been disappointed. With Mercat, the Iron Chef is batting a thousand! Food, service, presentation and overall vibe are stellar. Our server made excellent wine and food recommendations; however, unless you skipped lunch or are just starving, it's probably not necessary to order three plates per person. Although everything was delicious, I'll be dreaming about the Rabbit and Foie Gras Rillette and Quinoa Salad.Special Features:
- excelente!andersonfortunaDined on 10/20/2014preferimos somente os tapas, os camarões e as vieiras estavam excelentes. a carta de vinhos tem bons rótulos, mas nada fantástico.Special Features:
- DisappointedCaribbeanfoodie1Dined on 10/19/2014I was very disappointed of my dining experience. Having heard so much about place and having had a positive experience before, I decided to go there with a group of doctors from out of town. I was embarrassed of my recommendation to the group because the service was terrible, it was hard to hear our conversations at the table, and the food could have been better. One of the main reason I suggested this restaurant is because several people from our party had dietary restrictions so I thought this restaurant would be able to accommodate us being more high end versus fast food. I was wrong. Any requests we made was more of a pain for the server. He was frustrated with our table and let it show. The food came out w no explanation, very confusinSpecial Features:
- Pre-balletWilliamShakespoonDined on 10/18/2014We always come here before Auditorium Theater tickets. By far, one of our favorite dining spots in Chicago. The food is always spot on and thus far, the service has been friendly and non-pretentious (if sometimes a bit rushed). I always order a cocktail called a "SOMBRA." You will thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sue50sweetpeaDined on 10/18/2014My 1st time here but not my last. A great place to go for an innovative and delicious menu selection before or after a show at the Auditorium.Special Features:
- SeasaidhVIPDined on 10/17/2014Always full because lots of very good tapas and good drinks. Pretty noisy usually but that creates a good vibe.Special Features:
- Excelent experiencePanamanian1Dined on 10/17/2014Had a great time with my wife, we took the "la Mesa de Jose " with wine matching. Really recommend the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tapas two blocks from CSORickinchiDined on 10/17/2014The food was good to great overall. We liked the ambiance it's upstairs on the 600 block of Michigan Avenue. The staff was personable if not perfection. It's major weakness is the price but when you consider the neighborhood and the quality of the food you know it can't be a bargain. The rib-eye, the spicy potatoes, flat bread, dates and garlic shrimp were all winners. There's a touch of heat in some of the food but as someone who can't handle too much heat, none of it was enough to even start to bother me. The chef's tasting took us every bit of an hour and a half to make our way through so plan carefully if you are going to an event nearby.Special Features:
- EnjoyableFoodandanceDined on 10/16/2014Fun atmosphere, great tasting tapas, some out of this world delicious. A little pricey and the waiter kept startling us with his abrupt and load approaches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food...officious waiterObviouslysuperDined on 10/16/2014Food was great...atmosphere was what was expected....waiter left much to be desired....he acted as if we were lucky to be there and fortunate to have him.....our conversation or dining timing had nothing to do with what he had to accomplish at any one moment.....it was all about him and not about our dining experience. Would be hard to imagine a return visit regardless of the good food.Special Features: