45 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mercatnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125298600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Comfort Food, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jalinson Rodriguez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private subterranean dining room, seats parties of up to 30. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Egelhoff 2125298600
A word from Mercat
A Spanish (Catalan) Market restaurant on Bond Street boasting a 100% Spanish wine list with a strong emphasis on Catalan wines. Seasonal menu with an emphasis on traditional Catalan dishes. REVIEWS FROM THE PRESS. BlackBook (http://www.blackbookmag.com/guides/details/mercat) Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a7hifLHQ2Oxk) NY Times (http://events.nytimes.com/2007/07/04/dining/reviews/04rest.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1234454423-udJGgCbSgcqoHK7lpLwxFA) Time Out New York (http://www.timeout.com/newyork/articles/restaurants-bars/8718/suba-mercat)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercat reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great fun for group dinners.TheBlacklistDined on 5/26/2012Great fun for group dinners. The food was as good as the previous times I'd eaten there. The waitress assigned to our table was extremely helpful with the wine selections.Special Features:
- Great service, larger portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/19/2012Great service, larger portions than u expect for TappasSpecial Features:
- Great location in the heartOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2012Great location in the heart of Nolita, but when you walk inside it feels like it's always midnight. The dim lighting is definitely a bit much especially if it's still bright and sunny outside. Great selections on the menu but poorly executed. I got the skirt steak which probably would've been good if it wasn't cold. Interesting drink menu, but the cocktails sound better on the menu then they taste. Overall it was decent, but I probably won't go back.Special Features:
- All around great place toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012All around great place to eat in NoHo. Walked here after seeing the Blue Man Group and we loved the place. Unfortunately, they were in the process of closing down.Special Features:
- We had a great time,but wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012We had a great time,but were informed the restaurant was closing in 2 weeks. Therefore a review rather unnecessary.
- In my opinion, the chef canOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2012In my opinion, the chef can not be Spanish because the tapas and main courses, although were named after the original Spanish dishes they didn't look or taste as the originals. Just to mention two examples, the Truita (Spanish omelette) doesn't have anything to do with the original recipe, which is unacceptable. Another example is the Crema Catalana, which is a lemon-flavoured something-else. So, in all, we were very disappointed. Too bad.
- I have loved Mercat sincetkbaltVIPDined on 5/12/2012I have loved Mercat since the first week it opened. I was very sad to hear during my most recent visit that the restaurant will be closing its doors in two weeks because the owner is returning to Barcelona.Special Features:
- Outstanding Catalan food.KatNDSpainVIPDined on 5/5/2012Outstanding Catalan food. One of my favorite Spanish spots in the city, and I've been to a lot!Special Features:
- Aside from no one speakingEduardoPVIPDined on 5/2/2012Aside from no one speaking Catalan, Mercat is a great substitute for a Barcelona-like food experience.Special Features:
- The food was very good. UnfortunateOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/28/2012The food was very good. Unfortunately the very bad service over-shadowed the good food. We were originally seated in the downstairs dining room. We eventually asked to move upstairs as the downstairs had a very strong odor of disinfectant and bleach coming from the kitchen. Once we were seated and finally got a waitress to take our order. We started with Tapas that came out of the kitchen very slowly. One at a time with the last one being served about 15 minutes after the 1st one came out.Our party of four all ordered the same main entree, the skirt steak. The dinners came out after about 30 minutes- Well only three came out. They forgot the other dinner. Nobody came to check on us so we finally had to search for our server. Bad experience.
- Excellent tapas, particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/12/2012Excellent tapas, particularly the cheese plate. Staff went over and above to accomodate the 4-year-old who was with us.Special Features:
- Cozy night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/29/2012Really terrific evening with three girlfriends - got a few appetizers to share and each got a main entree. The duck with pear and hazelnuts was out of this world! The sopressata was also a phenomenal appetizer. Very cozy setting that is great for intimate groups or dates. Definitely coming back!Special Features:
- Bar service was not efficient.BgAppleVIPDined on 3/15/2012Bar service was not efficient. The table ordered drinks and the drinks came to the table haphazardly. Additionally, a Manhattan was ordered by one guest and the server indicated that the bartender ran out of cherries. Food portions were not adequate for the price.
- creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012The food was really good and they have a lot of creative options in the menu. We had tuna tartar, crostini with anchovies(delicious), beef with chimichurri(amazing), and baccala'. The quality price for the wine was so and so but the service was friendly and easy. We had attentive busboys. A place where to come back.Special Features:
- The patatas bravas are indeedMissScarletDined on 3/1/2012The patatas bravas are indeed delicious and probably the standout item we ordered. The waiter recommended a fab red wine, which I can't remember the name of. Everything else was solid, but not amazing. Dishes either just didn't quite come together or needed a little zip. The food could have been paced better--we were overwhelmed with too many dishes at certain points. And it took forever for us to get our bill. The restaurant didn't seem that busy, so I feel like the waitstaff could have been a bit more attentive.
- Tapas GoldOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/17/2012Food here is as good as it gets for Tapas. A lot of unique dishes. We were sat right away with a reservation. Really good drinks and selection of wines. Seem to be a little understaffed but service was solid. Great space on one of our favorite streets in NYC. Take out of towners here for a true NY experience.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Food was delicious and the restaurant was very nice, only issue was that it was a little bit pricey and food was a bit salty, still a great night out!Special Features:
- great find but small issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/14/2012The food was very tastey;however, the timing of courses was all mixed up. The entrees and the appetizers were all coming out at the same time. We mentioned this to the server but it was never corrected. They also brought us an appetizer that we did not order instead of what we did order, fortunately it was delicious.Special Features:
- Best spanish we have had in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/13/2012I was really impressed with the menu and the execution of the food that we received. We had the seasonal pepper appetizer (peppers sauteed in olive oil w/ sea salt), piquillo peppers stuffed with short rib, house-made sausage of pork and fou gras and crispy pork belly. Every dish was excellent. The stuffed peppers could have used a little more of the greens they were served on to add more herbal flavor and cut the richness of the dish ... other than the flavors were spot on, balanced and amazing. The wine list is spanish yet comprehensive, we took too much time from the sommelier but he went through the wines thoroughly and even brought us 3 samples so we would be happy with our decision.Special Features:
- Ambience and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2012Ambience and service were very good. A little disappointed overall with the food though. The potato bravas dish was delicious, but the others we tried weren't memorable.Special Features:
- Solid Tapas in NY. Much betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2011Solid Tapas in NY. Much better than many less authentic choices.
- We've been going to MercatAlexanderFLDined on 12/28/2011We've been going to Mercat each time we've visited New York over the years. We've brought friends with us and have raved about the restaurant each time friends or acquaintances have told us that they are visiting New York. However we've noticed that each time we've visited the quality of the food and service continues to go down. The service was less than stellar. It was almost like the staff were bothered that they had to be at the restaurant. There was no interaction with us, i.e. we found out about the Padron Peppers because the table next to us was being told about them (they were not on the menu). What's more disappointing however is that the food is not as good as it used to be.
- We had been here for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2011We had been here for a birthday party (12 to 15 people), a get-together (3 people) and a semi-romantic eat out as a couple. In any occasions, we had great time. It's a very relaxing place, so perfect to get away from a busy life in the city :)Special Features:
- Would recommended based solelyhakanDined on 12/23/2011Would recommended based solely on food. Service was disappointing.
- Great atmosphere and veryBretonDined on 12/21/2011Great atmosphere and very good food-authentic tapas like in Barcelona, no NYC. Highly recommended for those who enjoy eating Spanish food with some space (unlike some very crowded and tight tapas places in NYC).Special Features:
- Nice food but don't be in a rushBeenThereAteThatDined on 12/13/2011Food very good quality, service on the slow side even when the place almost empty.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere. ServiceDanGVIPDined on 12/9/2011Great atmosphere. Service was very good. There when needed, otherwise left us alone. Food was really good. Patatas bravas were the best I've had since Spain. Padron peppers excellent. Sliced steak delicious. I guess we liked everything!Special Features:
- We went to this restaurantGeorgeKDined on 11/25/2011We went to this restaurant with high hopes as we had an excceptional dinner there some time back. This time, the food was good, but not exceptional. Other than that, we were happy with the meal. We liked the wine list and the hostess was helpful in getting a suitable bottle for the meal.Special Features:
- Food was good but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2011Food was good but the service was mediocre and waitress seemed very agitated for some unknown reason.Special Features:
- Our table was downstairs,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2011Our table was downstairs, very quite and a nice change compared to the rather noisy upstairs. Waitstaff was a bit slow and messed our order up a couple of times bringing out wrong dishes, we ended up eating them anyways and everything was excellent.
- Great experience - friendly,MaryVIPDined on 11/4/2011Great experience - friendly, lively atmosphere and attentive service. I really enjoy the small plates dining concept, where you can try a lot of different dishes without stuffing yourself. I particularly liked the tortilla espanola and the mushrooms with poached egg. They have a nice list of Spanish wines, although I wish they had a bigger list of wines by the glass - I was surprised that there were no Riojas there that night. Could use a bit more variety for the cheese plate offerings, too.Special Features:
- I went with my brother whoOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/3/2011I went with my brother who was visiting from out of town. The food was great (especially liked the crocket, tuna tartar and the steak)and the atomphere was nice, hip and not too loud and overall we had a good experience. Would be nice to come with a larger group (maybe 4) so you can try different dishes. The only downside was the service. The waitress who served our table was very unfriendly and acted like waiting tables was the last thing she wanted to be doing that night and that took some away from the overall experience... Maybe it was just her so I would go back perhaps with a larger group.Special Features:
- The place is visually appealing,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2011The place is visually appealing, the staff is very attentive, and the food was okay. Went on an unexpected snowy day and while empty in the beginning it filled up nicely. The staff were knowledgeable and if tehy didn't have/know they found out what could be done. The food menu is somewhat limited for a tapas selection and the completion was good, but nothing to blow you away. That sais it is a nice environment and it has a great wine selection.Special Features:
- The Bombas alone are worth the tripEllemayVIPDined on 10/27/2011Second time. The food is excellent, well-prepared. Not a clunker in the bunch. Saying that--these are small size dishes--this is a tapas joint. The dishes come out of the kitchen in no particular order. If you are looking for a restaurant where everyone is served at the same time, this ain't it. Just good, imaginative, tasty food. This is not a cheap place either. And...it can get noisy, but thankfully, no obnoxious or deafening soundtrack.Special Features:
- Monday nights are less crowded,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/24/2011Monday nights are less crowded, therefore less noisy but with the same great menu and wine list!Special Features:
- my party of six dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2011Food is outstanding, every dish a pleasure and alive with perfectly balanced flavours. Great energy and atmosphere. They allowed my group of six to linger, which was very much appreciated after a long meal. Wait staff seemed frenetic and a scattered at times, as the evening got busier, I feel our service suffered slightly, but not so significantly that I would not return again. Still, food far surpasses service style here, though food was served quickly (great).Special Features:
- Tapas at their best...atlsuzVIPDined on 10/21/2011Mercat is a wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant. Many restaurants are now serving "small plates" but the Spanish have done it for centuries and this restaurant does them really well. You can have delicious tuna tartare or a selection of Iberian ham. The potatoes are so delicious that we reordered them as soon as we devoured our first plate. The wait staff is helpful and fun. The wine list is extensive and well priced. The walls are brick and the floors are wooden and the atmosphere is warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Delicious food with prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/6/2011Delicious food with pretty bad service. Our "waiter" pretty much ignored us most of the evening even when the place was half empty. Didn't even bother to pick up the check... First time in a long time that I actually went out of my way to leave a bad tip.Special Features:
- Great little tapas place.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2011Great little tapas place. Can get expensive when you order drinks and multiple dishes but definitely worth it!Special Features:
- Imaginative, well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/25/2011Imaginative, well prepared food and good service. Much too noisy for me--but I'm old.