100 7th Ave South
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2126470830
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs.Food and beverage packages may be customized to our guests wishes.
A word from Mercadito Grove
Expertly blending traditional Mexico with creative interpretations of local and seasonal ingredients is the inspiration behind Mercadito restaurants. Spanish for “little market”, Mercadito is modeled after the markets chef Patricio Sandoval shopped at while growing up in his native Mexico. His muse is the cuisine of the southern region but when mixed with his own style he creates authentic dishes with an added flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercadito Grove reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (12)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (2)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, but cold tacosTitinaDined on 7/26/2014I would recommend this restaurant, the food is very good and seems to be real mexican food (maybe not so spicy)! It's a pity for tacos, which were the best I'd ever tried but cold! In any case, try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lakeshoredriveDined on 7/25/2014Tacos were good but very small. Fish taco was covered in mayonnaise from all of the coleslaw (gross). Mango guacamole was pretty delicious. Sides of rice and beans were individually portioned rather than for a group.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2014Food was good (don't do lettuce wraps) Dinner with friends, had quite a bit to catch up on...fun placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bkfoodieDined on 7/21/2014the food was just really bad. I am from the west coast and have been to mexico often. This food just had no flavor. the margaritas were yummy.Special Features:
- DisappointedcrystalDined on 7/18/2014I am a huge fan of Mercadito in Chicago and was really looking forward to taking my friend to the one in NYC for her birthday. The service was great, however, the menu was significantly smaller, with less vegetarian options. We also found a hair in the quesadilla. It was nowhere near what I was expecting and was sad it fell so short of my expectations. The manager did comp our entree, which was thoughtful, but I don't think I'll be going back to the one in NY.Special Features:
- Terrific Tacos!BrooklynGirlDined on 7/11/2014Delicious tacos & guacamole in a casual setting. The outdoor dining is a plus.Special Features:
- poor foodnicknameDined on 6/28/2014I went there after seeing some photos online and i was totally disappointed. the food looked much less delicate and tasty. it was actually just so-so. not inspiring at all. plus, the waiter quickly cleaned the table as soon as he found out we were not having any more food and there were people waiting outside. just the mood was good. in greenwich village.. outdoor dining.. beside the street. don't go there. food and service should be decent but they werent. waste of money and time. it was so sad. i could have had another food that would be bettter than this.Special Features:
- Taco TuesdayDisappointingDined on 6/24/2014$5 for two tacos (bunch of different kinds - beer battered mahi mahi, slow roasted pork, rosemary marinated steak, chicken, pork belly, etc.) was a great deal. Add in quality margaritas and Micheladas (which can be a bit hard to find in the city), and you have yourself a great Tuesday night out.Special Features:
- Hidden DelightFoodielifeDined on 6/20/2014It's easy to walk past Mercadito Grove when you're walking in the West Village but next time you're out there keep an eye out for this hot little restaurant. They have some of the best tacos you will ever eat, fantastic guacamole, and the perfect margarita. It's perfect for some outside dining a nice summer night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos and GuacTXhuskrNnycDined on 6/14/2014So although the music is usually too loud whether busy or not, the tacos are excellent and the guac trio is a nice touch. Pretty good bang for your buck. Variety of tequilas to try and good sized outdoor area in front.Special Features:
- Good for drinks and guacamoleFoodieDined on 6/14/2014The drinks and guacamole were very good, but the food was not. Would not recommend this restaurant for dinner. Also, it has a B rating in cleanliness. We did not know this until we sat down!
- too many rules!hellosueVIPDined on 6/8/2014wouldn't seat us until our whole party arrived, randomly became "cash only", and wouldn't let us mix and match the tacos despite them being all the same price. small menu with not a lot of variety and food was not that great. guac for the table was on point though. do no recommend and will not return.Special Features:
- The following 33 reviews are from the Mercadito Grove reviews archive.
- DownhillCoupleVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food here was not great, the menu has been condensed and the service was subpar. Definitely not going back!
- Good Vibes and Amazing TacoshungrycaterpillarDined on 5/31/2014Went to this place with my sister. We shared 3 orders of the tacos (don't judge!) and they were AMAZING!!! Our favorite were the pastor tacos, but we also got the carne and camarone tacos and those were also out of this world. The place was energetic and lively. Only downside is that the place is a little small. But the food compensates for that!Special Features:
- One of the bestdowntowndinerDined on 5/25/2014Mercadito Grove and Mercadito on Avenue B are in the top tier of Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants east of the Mississippi. The food is extraordinarily well-prepared. They have some of the best fish tacos I've tasted anywhere. My husband and I love Mercadito Grove because we can sit outside and watch all the characters and beautiful people walking through Sheridan Square. The service is very relaxed, and they allow us to take our time and eat and drink to our hearts' content.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time!KathieVIPDined on 5/22/2014The place is tiny but the food is very good. We had three different types of tacos: fish, pork and chicken - all were perfect! I would definitely return when I'm in the area again.Special Features:
- Amazing serviceLMilesDined on 5/9/2014Every time I dine here, I am served by the most pleasant, attentive yet not over-bearing waitstaff. This has now become a restaurant that is on my top 5 list of favorite places to eat in the city!Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 5/9/2014Decent food, but the restaurant is extremely small without outdoor dining. So the waiter was eager to have us eat and leave and gave us the check when food was still on the table.
- Cool place, solid food, weak drinksMattDined on 5/6/2014Definitely a good local restaurant. Excellent service, good ambiance, plenty of outdoor tables. Food was pretty good also. Drinks were pre-made and quite bad. Really the only negative though.Special Features:
- so overattedmisterlotsameatDined on 5/5/2014If you want to eat on top of other people and vice versa, while listening to obnoxious white girl conversations for overpriced small tacos and small portions and the weirdest ceviche you can find then knock yourself out by going here.Special Features:
- Yum yum yumMexicaliDined on 4/25/2014Mad good tacos. Excellent margaritas - although beware of the spice! Definitely order the trio guac and the plaintains!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies' night out!LMilesDined on 4/25/2014The staff took really great care of us. Food and drinks were promptly delivered always in a friendly manner. An inexpensive night out for great tasting food and pretty good margaritas. The one downside is that due to the small interior space, it's not great for sitting and chatting for a long time. However, if you're outside on a beautiful summer night, it's a little easier to sit a spell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Tacoshobo138Dined on 4/17/2014My husband and I went to their other location 4 years ago. When we planned our trip to NYC again this time, we knew we had to go back and it did not disappoint! We did the after 10pm all you can eat tacos. The tacos are thoughtfully planned out and executed. Home made corn tortillas and generous fillings. Sadly we were not able to try all the flavours, as we got too full, but the pork belly and the shrimp were amazing! Attention to detail and flavour shows in each bite. If there was any negative at all it was just that it was very loud and crowded and a bit warm, but it shows we weren't the only people to know how good it was! The drinks were also superb. Everytime anyone goes to Chicago or NYC we would recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Taco!ivyleeVIPDined on 4/17/2014Yummy yummy tacos with sangria! The best thing about the tacos are you can substitute the tortilla with lettuce! Corn on the cob and Brussels sprouts are so yummy , too. Guac was fresh and chunky! Flan was the best I've had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food...Host needs helpAlyGalDined on 4/5/2014Came here with 2 friends, had a reservation and were told we had to wait, with no where to wait in this tiny restaurant. We stood by the door squished with others and felt so bad but were forced to hover over a table next to us. There were 3 open and set tables with no one sitting, yet they kept lots of people waiting. They need a lesson on table turn around and effective planning especially when people have reservations. However they did give us a free round of Margaritas which was very nice and once we finally sat down the food was sooooo yummy ! And our waitress was wonderful, very attentive and sweet. I LOVE the guacamole and the tacos and plantains but I'll stick to the east village location on a Saturday as there is more room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco ParadiseluckykitenVIPDined on 3/25/2014This cozy little place was awesome! The tacos are delicious and I love that you an order them wrapped in tortillas or lettuce. There are many types to choose from. We ordered a few difference dishes and sides... all wonderful and fresh. The staff was very hospitable. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why make a reservation??!!!dlyonsVIPDined on 3/15/2014Had a reservation for 9:15 (Which they called to confirm earlier) Arrived promptly and there was no table and no table available in the fore-seeable future. The Host shrugged and had no solution. Why bother making a reservation. I would not try this place EVer again!
- Incredible poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/15/2014We made a reservation and we running 5-10 mins late. Upon realizing that we wouldn't make our time we immediately called the restaurant. They could not have been more rude on the phone. Instead of thanking us for the call they basically said be here in 10 or we're giving your table away. As we walked in the first thing the host said to us was we need your table back by 845. Despite trying to order three courses, we felt rushed the entire time at dinner as if they wanted us to just get out. The waitress was less than accommodating and the entire experience just sucked. The food was tasty but the tight quarters, bad ambiance, flat soda and downright rude staff did not make up for it. We have unlimited choices in New York and will not be back.
- Much smaller and tighter insideOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2014Much smaller and tighter inside than I expected. But, the food was very good, and the service good. Nice neighborhood hangout. And, not too loud either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellente!Whats4dinnerDined on 2/28/2014Very good, super fresh Mexican food. Lots of non meat options too, 2 kinds of fish tacos, as well as calimari, mushroom, and shrimp tacos. Great guacamole and margaritas, everything you want from Mexican. Small space with an open kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the good and the badMichelleCDined on 1/17/2014The Mercadito location on Grove street is extremely small. Although we made reservations, we had to wait about half an hour for a table. They were kind enough to give us complimentary margaritas and desserts for waiting and the food was pretty good! They have a great happy hour and great taco deals on Mondays and Tuesdays so those would probably be the best days to dine here and may not be so crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servers too demandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2014Only problem was the server kept walking over every few minutes to ask if we wanted to order something else while still eating. I understand if our table was empty but it wasn't and there were plenty other tables to annoy. It turned me off of wanting to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closing?OpenTablerVIPDined on 12/7/2013I think this place is closing. There is a "for rent" sign outside of the restaurant, and given that there was no heat on the in place (on a FREEZING cold day) I'm surmising that they no longer have heat. The food was pretty good, but not worth sitting in an ice cold restaurant on a frigid day.
- Food was great...margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2013Food was great...margaritas great...but space is VERY tiny. My husband and I were wedged in between two tables so if you're looking for a quiet, private dinner this is not the place for you. We were seated right away because we had a reservation but if we had to wait there was no bar to wait at...people were huddled at the front door or outside. The food is great but you should know what you're getting into.
- Not as good as Mercadito in LESnyceaterDined on 11/2/2013The quality of the food was poor given the price of the entrees. Some dishes were notably overcooked. The seating was too cramped in the back right corner. On the plus side the cocktails were quite good, but overall an unsatisfying dining experience.Special Features:
- What a great find!Holiver01Dined on 10/28/2013Chose this restaurant after finding it on yelp. Did not know anything about it. However, when we got there we learned that Mondays was all you can eat Tacos. I totally recommend it! All the tacos were amazing and the service was impeccable. All for a great budget as well. Great find in an neighborhood that is surrounded by mostly expensive restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tacos, very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/26/2013Accommodated our large party very nicely and the food was delicious!Special Features:
- All the staff in the restaurantsohoVIPDined on 10/12/2013All the staff in the restaurant so wonderful to us - and very caring. It was a great feeling! Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchluce09Dined on 9/29/2013I really recommend this place for brunch. great deal, delicious food (and great options to choose from) and awesome margaritas, plus a lovely place to sit and linger on a nice day. on top of that, the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Fit the bill for dinner & drinksJersey5Dined on 9/26/2013Four of us had a great dinner & lots of drinks here on a recent Thursday night before a concert. Reservation was for 6:30 & we were seated immediately even though only half of us were there on time. Enjoyed Happy ouse drinks until 7 (margaritas were great)! Sampled a variety of tacos, the guac trio, and other apps on the menu. Tasty & fun--will go again when in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.