108 W. Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: (312) 329-9555
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am-3:30pm & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday: 5:00pm- 2:00am: Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
After midnight we offer a late night menu.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: MH-Catering: website: www.mh-catering.com
Our team's knowledge is grounded in their experience as consumers and connoisseurs, and then improved through decades of restaurant and industry experience. We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs. It is important to us that every guest has an exceptional experience and is provided with extraordinary service.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan your next birthday, office party, or event at Mercadito. For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan a memorable event that will exceed your expectations.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Wohlfeill 3123299555x
- Special Events: For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan your event. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Mercadito Chicago
The newest Mercadito locations are the chicest and most modern additions to the restaurant family. Ample sized banquets accommodate large parties while smaller white quartzite tables and the soft wood floor and ceiling keep the atmosphere cozy. Exquisite details include rope screens separating banquettes, handmade pyramid-shaped copper lights illuminating the bar, and unique graffiti-style murals dressing the dining rooms. A massive bar area and lounge lets guests relax while taking in the stylish and upscale environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mercadito Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mercadito Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
361 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (186)hot spot (180)good for groups (155)vibrant bar scene (114)special occasion (68)neighborhood gem (63)late-night find (52)great for lunch (41)great for outdoor dining (32)romantic (27)great for brunch (24)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Have time to burn?TravisDined on 11/15/2014We had reservations for 830 and we booked a week in advance (visiting from out of town) and from the look of it, it may have not been early enough. We were sat at 850/9 after standing awkwardly positioning for standing room in a overly packed bar area with a walk way through it waiting for our table. Once sat we were elbow to elbow with the table next to us (literally, they had to pull the table out to get to the other seat). Besides that the service was pretty good and the food was outstanding. Would I do this again? On a date? probably not. As a stop out on a night of drinking? possibly. If i had no time constraints, and wanted to blow money on good food, definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.FoodieDined on 11/15/2014I had an 8:00 pm reservation for a party of 5. We did not sit down until 8:27. I dine out a lot in Chicago, and when I take the time to make a reservation, that is typically the time I sit down at the table. They did not apologize for the delay whatsoever. If something like this happens at any other restaurant, they normally give you a free appetizer or something for the inconvenience. I would have been fine with an apology. I found their staff to be quite unprofessional. It is too bad, because I use to dine at Mercadito all of the time. It has been a little over a year since I have been here, and I will never return. The food has gone downhill, and the staff is not someone I would like to deal with ever again. I am so disappointed that I pick this restaurant for my cousins big night out for her Bachelorette. I hope you are able to make some vast improvements, and get your staff up to par.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/14/2014We were seated at a miniature table next to a group--right next to like we were the children at the small table. We moved and had to eat in an hour. Poor menu selections.Special Features:
- Our waitress was MIAOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2014This was the second time at Mercadito. First I want to stress that the food and the rest of the wait staff were fantastic. Everything was great except that OUR server (petite with red lipstick on) was MIA the majority of the time we were there. She also forgot to place one of our taco orders. I saw everyone else on the floor working hard, but we never saw her, not even to attend another table. God knows where she was while everyone else was working hard. After she dropped off our bill, she never came back so we asked her colleague to wrap our leftovers to take home. Unfortunately, we lowered our usual 20% tip to 18%. But we didn’t want to punish the others because of this one waitress' lack of service and not pulling her weight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TacosWinedudeVIPDined on 11/10/2014This is a very nice Mexican chain that offers gourmet tacos, salsas, and guacamoles. The food is always tasty. Service is friendly and efficient. Just wish the drinks were a bit larger. Prices are a tad high for Mexican fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TacosDockVIPDined on 11/9/2014Good for the blackened swordfish and the upgraded margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Long Wait &VERY LoudCHICagoDINEDined on 11/8/2014Mercadito is one of my favorite restaurants in Chicago! The food is incredible! Especially the guac and tacos (pescado is my fav). BUT if you are going to dine here, be prepared to wait for at least 15 minutes (even if you make a reservation). On top of that, it is REALLY loud; my boyfriend and I were literally screaming at each other from across the table. Overall, this place is fun for a night out, but it is not for the impatient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, long waitiluvfoodDined on 11/8/2014We made a reservation and still had to wait 30-40 minutes. Luckily the service was fast bc we had to be somewhere after dinner. The food was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent and the service was great and we had a wonderful time. Drinks were delicious, as was the food. Our waiter was very helpful in selecting dishes for us to share. The only negative was the sound level made it difficult to hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak tacos, Margaritas, a favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014Service is always rushed, salsa are small, margaritas are dangerous, steak tacos with potatoes when in season are life changing, guacamole is fresh and flavorful, hostesses are not accommodating. Overall a must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation?CupcakeVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had an 8:30 reservation but were not seated until 9:30. What was the point of having a reservation??Special Features:
- Friday FunRinaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Went here after work on a Friday to catch up with a girlfriend. We were there at 5, so the first ones there. All of our food came out together, and nice and hot. It was fantastic. Great drinks! It does get pretty loud the more crouded it gets. There isn't a ton of room at the bar, but it was PACKED. Great place overall! I've been here with a large group as well. Great for that, sharing plates, etc.Special Features:
- Overrated by the "Trend-oids"KapalouisVIPDined on 11/6/2014One of the most disappointing dining experiences that I have had in Chicago. $90 for 2 margaritas, guacamole, 8 taquitos, and tip...really? The flavors were good, but not "amazing" like many of the Lincoln Park Trixies would have you believe. For authentic Mexican, head to Pilsen; you'll have a real culinary experience and save some money (even with a longer Uber ride!). At Mercadito, you'll sit on top of other patrons as the tables are literally two inches apart. Mercadito should advertise that they use community tables as that would be more honest. So difficult to have a conversation with the person with whom you are dining because you actually sitting closer to diners at the next table. Take a pass unless you need to "make the scene."
- Too Noisy to Enjoy DiningFromCalgaryDined on 11/5/2014We went to Mercadito around 7:00 PM on a Wednesday, but didn't spend much time there because of the noise level. We had to shout to each other as well as to the waiter. We ordered some tacos (carne and pastor) which were quite flavourful and came promptly. We just couldn't enjoy the meal with the noise level, so left after finishing the tacos.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Mercadito has the most amazing tacos and guac ever! I think it is great for special occasions, however it is a little loud. Otherwise great experience!Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spotZakoDined on 11/3/2014Amazing food, great drinks, and a unique atmosphere...I took my wife here for our 6 month anniversary, and we will definitely be returning. Thanks so much!Special Features:
- Great spotJessGDined on 11/2/2014Had dinner here for girls night. Friendly staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Had family in town visiting, and decided to take them to one of my favorites, Mercadito. All in all, another amazing experience. Our waiter, Alex, was awesome. Food was delicious, Margaritas were the best I've ever had, and the service and ambiance were outstanding. Will continue to recommend this little gem to everyone I know!Special Features:
- ElizpatronElizpatronDined on 10/30/2014The decor is inviting, and the overall atmosphere is welcoming. The servers were prompt in service of food, and monitoring the customer's progress. The fact that there seemed to be a meeting in progress for part of the time that I was there not delay service, as the staff members met at staggered intervals, so some people were always on the floor. The music was at good decibel level. The appetizer and meal were ample and stylized such that one could easily finish the portions and enjoy the presentation at the same time. When I asked to speak to the manager to commend my server, the manager was not overbusy that he could not visit my table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BustlingMarkchicagoDined on 10/28/2014Food was very good, bit cramped where we sat, wait staff attentive almost to a fault often too quick to remove plates. Overall good experience. You'll want to go with 4 as 2 tops too tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodenforcersDined on 10/26/2014The food was excellent and tasty. I have 3 complaints, 1. the portions are very small and expensive 2. there's no kids menu(not a kid friendly restaurant) and 3. They charge you for everything like for even salsa to put on your tacos. overall besides everything the food tasted great and the margaritas very good!!! Be prepare to spend some cash here!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcaserinDined on 10/26/2014I do recomend the Shirmp tacos they are great, also the enchiladas so delicious, I also love the micheladas.Special Features:
- My favorite brunchStreetervilleResVIPDined on 10/26/2014I could eat brunch here every weekend. This time, I brought with me a pair of out of towners, one from TX, one from SoCal. They loved it. We stayed and ordered more food and drink and didn't want to leave. Sometimes the timing of the food is spotty (I know, sharing plates), this time we all had our own dishes and everything came out together which was perfect.Special Features:
- MercaditoBeRoyalDined on 10/25/2014Jesus was our waiter and he made recommendations that were on point! Everything we had was so flavorful and delicious. They lose one star because I'm a petite girl and the tables were so tightly packed together we actually had to physically move our table so I could get into my seat without sticking my booty in someone else's plate of food- when you're spending on average $60-$100 a person I would expect better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Went there for brunch and relished in their brunch special called the ultimate hangover cure. Comes with your choice of 3 dishes and 1 cocktail each. We had the chilaquiles, mahi mahi tacos, and carne tampiquena. Super delicious! And the drinks. Wow! They pack a punch. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me Gusta!Ppicasso76VIPDined on 10/24/2014To be fair, I have to state that I've worked in the restaurant business at various stages of my life, so I can be quite critical. 2 weeks ago I ate at El Mercadito and had an average experience. Not great, but not bad. What I noticed was that the infrastructure was there but the staff had a bad night. I sensed potential. So, I came back on for a second go around and it was spectacular. Food was delicious and the staff seemed to be on top of their game. That being said, just a little more attention to guests wouldn't hurt. I will return and recommend El Mercadito to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I asked for a second Smokey Pablo drink and it took 20 minutes to bring it to me. I had to ask a different server for the drink because my server probably forgot. When she finally brought me the drink, she did not even apologize for the delay. I would recommend to keep an eye on your costumers and apologize.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtown11Dined on 10/22/2014I was very excited to find a Mexican restaurant which was a little more upscale and offered fun and tasty drinks. The Misty Sleeve was a nice and spicy drink. The variety of guacamole was also really nice, I highly recommend you try a variety. The noise was a bit higher than I would like, especially if you want a private conversation because it was loud enough and the tables were close that you pretty much were sharing and hearing many different conversations from both sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tacos and margaritas!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/20/2014not a place for a date night as tables are literally (>3) inches next to each other. very busy restaurant at night but food is quickly served!Special Features:
- Estupendo!ChiquitaDined on 10/20/2014Our first time here and we had a very enjoyable and satisfying time! Loved the food,delish, loved the ambiance a must go again on our list! Oh and the drinks...AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three girls walk into Mercadito...HechiceraDined on 10/18/2014Great music! Outstanding service from both Miguel and Victor. Delicious Mango Margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Loved it but quite loud. They really rush you through your meal tooSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor service.T3000Dined on 10/17/2014After waiting 45 minutes past our reservation time, we were seated and had to wait about another ten minutes to order drinks. Once we spoke to out waiter he was very accommodating and service improved. The food was excellent once we were finally able to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portions, rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Food was good but it's not a great place for groups. They also provide a group menu with the cheapest option for each person being $30. The portions are very small and they charged for any extra guacamole, salsa, sides, etc. The size of the sides are saucer size for 4 people and even the saucer is not full with food. They also asked if we could be done eating by a certain time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love lovejbo1Dined on 10/13/2014I love this place. Amazing margaritas and food never disappoints! Great eclectic take on Mexican.Special Features:
- Amazing Food and Great ServiceA10592Dined on 10/13/2014Mercadito Chicago-River North is a true neighborhood gem. Their fast and friendly service is perfect for a quick lunchtime get away from the office. The food is fresh and always amazing. A great place for a group lunch or quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Best drinks ever!NinoDined on 10/11/2014Great atmosphere for late night dinner. The tacos were not my favorite . First time I had a steak taco with a salad dressing sauce, not a good combination. The tacos were a little cold and the salsa was not spicy at all. The drinks are fantastic!!!Special Features:
- fun for a groupcolleenDined on 10/11/2014We celebrated my sister's birthday here and were able to do a sharing menu that was affordable and delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and definitely will be back with friends. The bar tenders were friendly and knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodChitowngirlDined on 10/11/2014Dined here for the first time in July during a convention. Came back now for a friends bday. His family is Mexican so it was a nail biter and an epic fail if he didn't like it. From the first bite if guacamole he was hooked. We had two guacamoles, queso fundido with short ribs and the carne and carnitas tacos. He raved about everything. The next plate was better than the previous. He's bringing his mom! If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is. Mercadito, thanks for not being a one time wonder kid, you're the real dealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.