108 W. Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3123299555x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am-3:30pm & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday: 5:00pm- 2:00am: Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
After midnight we offer a late night menu.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: MH-Catering: website: www.mh-catering.com
Our team's knowledge is grounded in their experience as consumers and connoisseurs, and then improved through decades of restaurant and industry experience. We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs. It is important to us that every guest has an exceptional experience and is provided with extraordinary service.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan your next birthday, office party, or event at Mercadito. For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan a memorable event that will exceed your expectations.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Wohlfeill 3123299555x
- Special Events: For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan your event. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Mercadito Chicago
The newest Mercadito locations are the chicest and most modern additions to the restaurant family. Ample sized banquets accommodate large parties while smaller white quartzite tables and the soft wood floor and ceiling keep the atmosphere cozy. Exquisite details include rope screens separating banquettes, handmade pyramid-shaped copper lights illuminating the bar, and unique graffiti-style murals dressing the dining rooms. A massive bar area and lounge lets guests relax while taking in the stylish and upscale environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mercadito Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mercadito Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
369 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (166)fit for foodies (158)good for groups (143)vibrant bar scene (136)special occasion (97)neighborhood gem (80)great for lunch (57)late-night find (51)great for outdoor dining (50)romantic (45)great for brunch (29)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Too noisy for us!Jen54Dined on 9/13/2014Our daughter picked this place on the recommendations of friends and good reviews. If you are looking for a young crowd and a noisy, upbeat club, this would be a great place. The service was quick, the staff was attentive, and the food was delicious, as was my margherita. But it was super noisy, and just the wrong fit for a quiet, late night supper.Special Features:
- Good food, a little loud!fromCTDined on 9/13/2014Great food, interesting, lots of choices.. Lively, no actually loud...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last visitMexMartDined on 9/12/2014We were told upon arrival for our 7:15 reservation that we would have to be out by 8:45. We were then seated in the lounge area, not a regular table. This place is to pricey for an experience like this. Last visit.
- Great Food Great AmbianceFab4Dined on 9/11/2014Me and my girlfriends had a wonderful time at Mercadito. The food was great and the guacamole was AWESOME. The overall experience was totally nice. From the service and décor, to the cocktails and entrees. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014The food is great and I would go back for that yet the noise level is incredible. you can barely hear the other person speak which limits the overall experience.Special Features:
- Very solid optionBannon021VIPDined on 9/10/2014I finally made it to this restaurant for a work event and was pleasantly surprised. The guacamole options were very good (albeit the servings are a little small) and the margaritas were fantastic. I'm honestly not much of a margarita guy and the "traditional" and "smokey" drinks were awesome. The tacos are very good. My one major pet peeve is that you cannot have an assortment of tacos, you have to order 4 of one type. I was lucky that my co-workers and I all ordered different tacos and could try different types, but if you were here on a date or a small group, I think it would be very annoying. The mahi mahi tacos were amazing.Special Features:
- Not worth the visit.Gr81VIPDined on 9/9/2014Hostesses were very unfriendly. Food was ok, service was decent.
- Fun BarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014Cute bartenders and fun drinks. Get the Big Nose Goes To Mexico.Special Features:
- Not so pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014This is my second visit to this restaurant and I must say I was very disppointed with the service. The waitress brought our appetizer order incorrectly, which was fine mistakes happen, but then she complete forgot to submit my order! and was no where to be found for almost an hour. By the time she came back I wasn't very happy and needless to say I just asked for the tab, paid and left.Special Features:
- Noisy!SteveDined on 9/6/2014Go here for a trendy great food evening, not for a "catch up with friends' evening.
- A little too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My wife and went here thinking it would make for a romantic dinner date for two, but upon arrival we immediately noticed the noise volume...loud. We we're both satisfied with the food and service, but the loud atmosphere and close proximity seating made for a not so intimate dinner. We found ourselves asking each other "what?" frequently after one of us would say something. Overall, good food, loud atmosphere and close proximity seating gives this restaurant 3 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty carne asada!!!Miche15Dined on 9/3/2014Normally when I frequent Metcadito, I order the tacos; however, this time, I decided to try the carne asada. It did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Slightly RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2014Two of my friends and I had dinner last week on a Wednesday night and had a great time. The food was great and the drinks we great, although wine was slightly pricey. The only complaint I would have is that the wait staff and bussers were eager to clear our table and get us out the door, which was disappointing. Multiple times we told people that we were still working on our food, and we were continuously interrupted asking if we were done. It was slightly disappointing that my friends and I had not gotten together in months and were trying to catch up, but had to be interrupted on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Lose the hostess!tmr777Dined on 9/1/2014We arrived and were politely greeted. However, the hostess took us to a table beside a baby shower with well over 10 women. We politely asked for a different table and she took us to a table only a few feet away. We politely stated that we would prefer a table in a different section than the baby shower. The restaurant was well staffed and not very busy (we arrived only 15 minutes after the restaurant opened). She rolled her eyes and brought us to another table that was facing the bar and from there everything was great, especially the service from Chad. We enjoyed refrescos, mango guacamole and chicken tacos - it was actually brunch.Special Features:
- We had a blastKelabelDined on 8/30/2014This is a must when in Chicago! A group of 6 of us celebrated a 50th Birthday here and it was wonderful. Great food/ Julio our waiter was polite and full if great suggestions and the entire staff was happy we were there and made us feel special! Fish tacos..... YumSpecial Features:
- Could have been betterKeepingitrealDined on 8/29/2014The hosts were incredibly self-absored and lacked customer service. When I asked to speak with manager about not be able to sit at our reserved for table 4 when 3 were present (one stuck in traffic) she told me no and that the manager would say the same. Manager came and in fact we sat down in 3 minutes. But we sat at toddler chairs on side and an oversized couch on that other with literally 1/2 inch between the row of tables. Meanwhile there was a dance room of space between the next set of cafeteria style lined up tables. Don't get me the wrong- drinks, tacos and guacamole were great.Special Features:
- Food Good but Way too NoisyEatoutalotDined on 8/28/2014The food was very tasty with unexpected flavors that are different from typical Tex-Mex. But, it was on the pricey side for Mexican food. However, the noise level was almost unbearable. Our entire party of 6 were hoarse by the time we left the restaurant because we had to shout across the table to each other. We wished we had sat at the outside tables on the sidewalk and put up with the Chicago heat and humidity. Another issue was that they gave us a semi-coval booth for 4 people and 2 of us had to sit on hard chairs in the aisle facing the table. That was uncomfortable for my spouse and me who sat in the aisle with customers and servers brushing against us the whole meal.
- Just Go.deeceVIPDined on 8/27/2014Whether you're taking someone on a hot date, hosting visiting friends or family, Mercadito is a perfect spot to begin your night. The energy, service, drinks, and most importantly the food never cease to please.Special Features:
- KayyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious, yummy taco tuesdays and mango margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!GirlsnightoutDined on 8/23/2014We ordered a drink that called Dizzy something and although my server warned me it had a distinct smokey taste, I ordered anyway and when I thought it was horrible replaced it immediately. Everything else was great. Bit seriously, don't order that drink. It's tastes the way bandaids smell. Ugh! Definitely order the pinnappley drink. It's delicious!! The drink with fire was decent tasting too. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impresionante!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Wow. I'd wanted to check out Mercadito for a long time- but never seemed to make it their. It lived up to every expectation. The food is amazing, they have what is effectively a "guac flight" that has re-calibrated my pallete's understand of what good guacamole. Pancita and Swordfish tacos are big winners. But the sneaky truth about Mercadito is that their bartenders craft some of the best cocktails in the city- if you like good food with good drinks in a energetic setting- this place is phenomenal.Special Features:
- Fun Friday NightLittleMissMaddieDined on 8/22/2014Met a friend here for drinks & apps before a concert. Really nice waiter (didn't get upset when we decided against ordering entrees). Highly recommend the guac sampler. Tons of marg options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not a foodieevilgeniusofevilDined on 8/21/2014But people accused me of being one while I raved about Mercadito's taco plates. Hard to imagine being excited about tacos, but these are really something special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cant get enough!AndyDined on 8/20/2014Mercadito has always delivered an exceptional experience. The food is amazing and the service is always great. I can never get enough of the queso fundido! I've been to Mercadito several times and tried a number of items of the menu that were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MargaritasStepsiteVIPDined on 8/19/2014I dined at the Chicago restaurant. Good Southwest food with some twists beyond the norm. Servings were decent and the quality was good. I will try it again when it opens in Philadelphia,Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Very upbeat vibe, a little noisy hard to have conversation around larger table, the waiters were very attentive. Overall GOOD experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flaming hotckschollVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food is terrific and drinks are great but it was so hot I can't give 5 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodChefColinDined on 8/18/20145 stars all around with the exception of the OpenTable snafu whereas restaurant staff did not check me in when I arrived and announced my reservation at the host desk. I received an email accusing me of blowing off my reservation and it was, well, mildly insulting considering I had a brief exchange with Raphael, the host, who I would assume with the 2nd host at the front of the restaurant that there would have been no issue with an OpenTable check in. Food was outstanding, ceviche cooked perfectly and the guacamole was very fresh and seasoned perfectly. Both recommended. Next time I recommend to clearly announce you have an "Open Table" reservation so there is no insulting mix up for any future guests of the restaurant. Great drink list.Special Features:
- Best tacos I've ever had!FatboiDined on 8/17/2014Best tacos I ever had in my life. Took my girlfriend there the next day cause there was no way I could explain how good they were. The waiter told me that they didn't serve tacos at lunch. We had to walk out for the intent of coming back for dinner. The margaritas are to die for aswell. Brilliant establishment, tell your momma and a friend. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great for groups and young peopleTCHUTCHI1VIPDined on 8/14/2014The food is pricey and its extremely loud. It was packed when we went (a friend and I). The food was good and the decor was fitting to the restaurant. The background music was energetic and techno. I just wish it wasn't so loud and I could have a conversation without yelling.
- DeliciosoEatatthisplaceDined on 8/13/2014The cocktails were fantastic! All the food was seasoned perfectly - finally a place that values salt! The desserts were divine. Do not skip the sides! One of the best meals I have ever had in the USA!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Order the Pork Belly TacosJulieDined on 8/12/2014I went on a "Taco Tuesday" so we tried 4 different types of tacos. Overall, the tacos are great but DON'T order the pork belly tacos. They are about 90% fat. The carne, pastor, and pollo tacos though were all very good. One more word of warning, their tacos are considered "mini tacos" and are in fact quite small.
- MaddyDined on 8/10/2014Great food and drink. service is good though a bit quick. See below about staff. Love your restaurant but not fond of how close tables are and noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great after theatre diningLcdcookDined on 8/10/2014Second time dining here. First time for Mother's day brunch. Food is outstanding. Our server was impeccable. Tacos and Guacamole dishes and combinations are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/9/2014Food was good, but everyone's entrée came out at a different time, which we did not like. A bit too loud for some of those in our group who were well over the targeted age. Restaurant needs to make it clear that some of the menu is small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican BrunchDineoutoftenDined on 8/9/2014The food was just OK. I was expecting more authentic flavors. I am still not sure what the "bread" provided really was...deep fried pita??? The deserts were a big disappointment - had very little taste.
- The food is the best!lovingflavorsDined on 8/8/2014I have been to Mercadito on several occasions and they have yet to disappoint me! I continue to go back for their tasty food and great service. I have loved all the different flavors, this is definitely a must-go-to spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the foodskyroverVIPDined on 8/8/2014I'm always knocked out by the food here. The ceviche rocks. The grilled chicken couldn't be better. The server was helpful in warning us away from some things that would take too long to prepare given our schedule. If only the checkin staff would warm up, this would be a totally great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceAimSlyVIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a 1pm reservation on a Thursday afternoon. It took at least 8 minutes for someone to greet us once we were seated at our table. We immediately ordered salsa and guac with our drinks, because we were on a schedule. Our appetizers were delivered by food runners. We didn't see our waiter again until after we ran out of chips. So, we were finished with our appetizers before our order was even taken. I ordered chicken tacos and was delivered mahi mahi tacos. So my order was removed and I waited 10 minutes for my meal. NO apology from our server. No acknowledgment of the error. The food is good, but the service makes me want to go elsewhere. And there are plenty of options. Adios, Mercadito.
- Aloof and lethargic serviceEats4workVIPDined on 8/6/2014I have taken clients to Mercadito three times in the last month. The hostess set up is somewhat off putting -- if your party isn't complete, they don't seat, which I understand. However, most of the spots that go to on a regular basis know when to make an exception. In the meantime, rather than showing you to the bar, where you can spend some money and relax, the hostess just has you standing in the front hall watching the walls peel and feeling in the way. Finally showed myself to the bar but after waiting ten minutes or so to get the bartenders attention, I gave up. My party arrived and we were seated but the service continued to be lethargic and somewhat aloof. My last visit.