108 W. Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3123299555x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am-3:30pm & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday: 5:00pm- 2:00am: Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
After midnight we offer a late night menu.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: MH-Catering: website: www.mh-catering.com
Our team's knowledge is grounded in their experience as consumers and connoisseurs, and then improved through decades of restaurant and industry experience. We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs. It is important to us that every guest has an exceptional experience and is provided with extraordinary service.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan your next birthday, office party, or event at Mercadito. For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan a memorable event that will exceed your expectations.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Wohlfeill 3123299555x
- Special Events: For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan your event. Contact: email@example.com
A word from Mercadito Chicago
The newest Mercadito locations are the chicest and most modern additions to the restaurant family. Ample sized banquets accommodate large parties while smaller white quartzite tables and the soft wood floor and ceiling keep the atmosphere cozy. Exquisite details include rope screens separating banquettes, handmade pyramid-shaped copper lights illuminating the bar, and unique graffiti-style murals dressing the dining rooms. A massive bar area and lounge lets guests relax while taking in the stylish and upscale environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mercadito Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mercadito Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (174)fit for foodies (158)good for groups (140)vibrant bar scene (136)special occasion (90)neighborhood gem (80)great for lunch (52)late-night find (51)great for outdoor dining (45)romantic (42)great for brunch (24)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Gormet MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2014Better than I expected. When I travel to Chicago amici can is never on the radar. The better known competition is closed Sunday and Monday so this was a great alturnative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but great foodMHSLDined on 9/27/2014I made reservations with open table and we had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. The reservation was at 9:45 on a Saturday night and it was so loud inside the restaurant. Although I love an energetic ambiance, I was glad that it was a nice night and we were seated outside. We ordered little market margaritas and the traditional guacamole. The guacamole was delicious, but a little on the spicy side the margarita was excellent. I had the carne asada. It was good but a little on the chewy side. My boyfriend thought the lobster tacos were good. For dessert we had the flan. Our server was great. Overall it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Way too expensiveChiBlondeGirlDined on 9/27/2014I don't think I've ever paid 68 bucks for a cocktail & tacos...until I went here. It was a very satisfying tapas style meal but if you really think about it, guacamole, salsa and tacos shouldn't cost you over 50 bucks a person with tax + tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LONG WAIT EVEN WITH RESERVATIONS!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014The food and atmosphere is great here! This is my third time at Mercadito and each time I had 8:00 reservations and had to wait at least an hour to sit down. Each time I went I had a party of three, it is not accommodating for parties smaller than four. You have to wait until the whole party is there, then they make you wait over an hour while sitting larger parties. It's horrible! When I told the manager the response was we will get you seated next and that was after four tables were seated after the fact. Very disappointed!Special Features:
- fun drinks, outstanding servicejillnortonDined on 9/26/2014We had a 9:15 reservation that we were running late to but the staff was accommodating and after just enough time to order a drink at the bar, we were seated. fun, loud environment, but perfect for that time of night on a saturday. we loved the food (oyster tacos and carne asada) and the drinks were outstanding and we loved our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisyJavy1415Dined on 9/26/2014Service was great! But too loud! If you have a party of two watch out cause you'll be sitting right next to someone else. Think a party of two should have a bit more privacy. Food was amazing....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, service, festive ambience- thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 9/24/2014Had an excellent experience at mercadito. Excellent service, our waiter was so knowledgeable about the drink and food menu. The salsas we tried were amazing, only complaint is that you don't get more of it! Our entire group had different tacos. Carne, pork, fish and mushroom. While I enjoyed the mushroom, I was the only one. Everyone raved about the others. The drink menu is very unique and what we tried was delicious (misty sleeve. Dizzy oaxcan, and one other that had greens in it). Overall a great night and on the list to try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeloveteaDined on 9/23/2014This place was so good!!! I would recommend to anyone! A lot of variety!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Great food, but terrible service! Very disappointing as the service is usually good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food but pricey sides312regularDined on 9/22/2014We thought our two lunches were outstanding from a taste standpoint. The restaurant also has an open, comfortable feel. Our only issue was the price and size of the guacamole and salsas. The guac. choices range start at $8.50 so we did not order any, but the portion we saw at another table was not commensurate with the price. While there is a very cool selection of 6 or 7 salsas to choose from, it's around $5 for two and the portion is very, very small, so it's more of an issue with the portion than the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerIowaHickDined on 9/21/2014Stopped in for an early dinner before a concert at the Chicago Theater. The food and cocktails were very good. We stuck with sharing several small plates. The guacamole and the tacos we tried were all very tasty. Table service was good as well, my one complaint is that our server seemed to be trying to rush us off after we had tried just a few plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tacos but expensivehannahbananaVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place is LOUD, as all of the other reviews note, but my friends and I knew that in advance. After all, we are four friends out on the town and not a romantic date night. Don't count on being able to have a productive conversation at dinner. Otherwise, this place is really fun! There is a bar below where you can get drinks while you wait for your table and the crowd is young, vibrant, and ready to have fun. Also, the tacos are amazing. You can make one order of 4 tacos but you can mix it up with your friends! The only downside is that it is much more expensive than you expect it to be, and maybe not quite worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOOD. CRAZY PRICES!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Im all 4 spending $150 4 a dinner 4 two with dessert at a high end Steakhouse. But not a PLACE DAT SERVES PRETTY MUCH MEXICAN FOOD WITH SUPER SMALL PORTIONS. WITH THE MONEY I SPENT 4 : GUAC ,TACOS, and FLan I KINDA FELT RIPPED OFF. BUT ALL IN ALL GOOD FOOD N SERVICE JUS NOT FOND OF THE PRICES. I WUD COME AGAIN BUT NOT OCCASIONALLY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okJamesDined on 9/20/2014Went there for dinner for my anniversary and it really wasn't what we were looking for atmosphere wise. It was really crowded (our table backed up to the bar so I kept getting bumped into all night) and the tables were close together to the point where if someone at the other table got up, we'd have to lean to the other side to let them by. And it was so loud it was hard to have a conversation (probably our fault for going on a Saturday night). For food: guacamole was really good, ceviche wasn't worth getting again, tacos were ok & the carne asada was pretty tasty. The cocktails we had were like the ones you get at any other place. Prices weren't too bad though. It would be a good place to have a large group, but not for a date night.Special Features:
- calgalDined on 9/18/2014good margarita and tacos, highly overpriced. too loud and server seemed to have forgotten about us throughout the night.Special Features:
- High Energy Contemporary MexicanlikenewspotsDined on 9/16/2014We went for a casual business dinner. Food and cocktails were excellent, but need to go with people that like to share small plates. Noise level was high - its a very high energy place - so for business dinner, best for a small group.Special Features:
- Too noisy for us!Jen54Dined on 9/13/2014Our daughter picked this place on the recommendations of friends and good reviews. If you are looking for a young crowd and a noisy, upbeat club, this would be a great place. The service was quick, the staff was attentive, and the food was delicious, as was my margherita. But it was super noisy, and just the wrong fit for a quiet, late night supper.Special Features:
- Good food, a little loud!fromCTDined on 9/13/2014Great food, interesting, lots of choices.. Lively, no actually loud...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last visitMexMartDined on 9/12/2014We were told upon arrival for our 7:15 reservation that we would have to be out by 8:45. We were then seated in the lounge area, not a regular table. This place is to pricey for an experience like this. Last visit.
- Great Food Great AmbianceFab4Dined on 9/11/2014Me and my girlfriends had a wonderful time at Mercadito. The food was great and the guacamole was AWESOME. The overall experience was totally nice. From the service and décor, to the cocktails and entrees. Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014The food is great and I would go back for that yet the noise level is incredible. you can barely hear the other person speak which limits the overall experience.Special Features:
- Very solid optionBannon021VIPDined on 9/10/2014I finally made it to this restaurant for a work event and was pleasantly surprised. The guacamole options were very good (albeit the servings are a little small) and the margaritas were fantastic. I'm honestly not much of a margarita guy and the "traditional" and "smokey" drinks were awesome. The tacos are very good. My one major pet peeve is that you cannot have an assortment of tacos, you have to order 4 of one type. I was lucky that my co-workers and I all ordered different tacos and could try different types, but if you were here on a date or a small group, I think it would be very annoying. The mahi mahi tacos were amazing.Special Features:
- Not worth the visit.Gr81VIPDined on 9/9/2014Hostesses were very unfriendly. Food was ok, service was decent.
- Fun BarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2014Cute bartenders and fun drinks. Get the Big Nose Goes To Mexico.Special Features:
- Not so pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2014This is my second visit to this restaurant and I must say I was very disppointed with the service. The waitress brought our appetizer order incorrectly, which was fine mistakes happen, but then she complete forgot to submit my order! and was no where to be found for almost an hour. By the time she came back I wasn't very happy and needless to say I just asked for the tab, paid and left.Special Features:
- Noisy!SteveDined on 9/6/2014Go here for a trendy great food evening, not for a "catch up with friends' evening.
- A little too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My wife and went here thinking it would make for a romantic dinner date for two, but upon arrival we immediately noticed the noise volume...loud. We we're both satisfied with the food and service, but the loud atmosphere and close proximity seating made for a not so intimate dinner. We found ourselves asking each other "what?" frequently after one of us would say something. Overall, good food, loud atmosphere and close proximity seating gives this restaurant 3 stars.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty carne asada!!!Miche15Dined on 9/3/2014Normally when I frequent Metcadito, I order the tacos; however, this time, I decided to try the carne asada. It did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Slightly RushedDiningwbabyDined on 9/3/2014Two of my friends and I had dinner last week on a Wednesday night and had a great time. The food was great and the drinks we great, although wine was slightly pricey. The only complaint I would have is that the wait staff and bussers were eager to clear our table and get us out the door, which was disappointing. Multiple times we told people that we were still working on our food, and we were continuously interrupted asking if we were done. It was slightly disappointing that my friends and I had not gotten together in months and were trying to catch up, but had to be interrupted on a regular basis.Special Features:
- Lose the hostess!tmr777Dined on 9/1/2014We arrived and were politely greeted. However, the hostess took us to a table beside a baby shower with well over 10 women. We politely asked for a different table and she took us to a table only a few feet away. We politely stated that we would prefer a table in a different section than the baby shower. The restaurant was well staffed and not very busy (we arrived only 15 minutes after the restaurant opened). She rolled her eyes and brought us to another table that was facing the bar and from there everything was great, especially the service from Chad. We enjoyed refrescos, mango guacamole and chicken tacos - it was actually brunch.Special Features:
- We had a blastKelabelDined on 8/30/2014This is a must when in Chicago! A group of 6 of us celebrated a 50th Birthday here and it was wonderful. Great food/ Julio our waiter was polite and full if great suggestions and the entire staff was happy we were there and made us feel special! Fish tacos..... YumSpecial Features:
- Could have been betterKeepingitrealDined on 8/29/2014The hosts were incredibly self-absored and lacked customer service. When I asked to speak with manager about not be able to sit at our reserved for table 4 when 3 were present (one stuck in traffic) she told me no and that the manager would say the same. Manager came and in fact we sat down in 3 minutes. But we sat at toddler chairs on side and an oversized couch on that other with literally 1/2 inch between the row of tables. Meanwhile there was a dance room of space between the next set of cafeteria style lined up tables. Don't get me the wrong- drinks, tacos and guacamole were great.Special Features:
- Food Good but Way too NoisyEatoutalotDined on 8/28/2014The food was very tasty with unexpected flavors that are different from typical Tex-Mex. But, it was on the pricey side for Mexican food. However, the noise level was almost unbearable. Our entire party of 6 were hoarse by the time we left the restaurant because we had to shout across the table to each other. We wished we had sat at the outside tables on the sidewalk and put up with the Chicago heat and humidity. Another issue was that they gave us a semi-coval booth for 4 people and 2 of us had to sit on hard chairs in the aisle facing the table. That was uncomfortable for my spouse and me who sat in the aisle with customers and servers brushing against us the whole meal.
- Just Go.deeceVIPDined on 8/27/2014Whether you're taking someone on a hot date, hosting visiting friends or family, Mercadito is a perfect spot to begin your night. The energy, service, drinks, and most importantly the food never cease to please.Special Features:
- KayyDined on 8/26/2014Delicious, yummy taco tuesdays and mango margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!GirlsnightoutDined on 8/23/2014We ordered a drink that called Dizzy something and although my server warned me it had a distinct smokey taste, I ordered anyway and when I thought it was horrible replaced it immediately. Everything else was great. Bit seriously, don't order that drink. It's tastes the way bandaids smell. Ugh! Definitely order the pinnappley drink. It's delicious!! The drink with fire was decent tasting too. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impresionante!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Wow. I'd wanted to check out Mercadito for a long time- but never seemed to make it their. It lived up to every expectation. The food is amazing, they have what is effectively a "guac flight" that has re-calibrated my pallete's understand of what good guacamole. Pancita and Swordfish tacos are big winners. But the sneaky truth about Mercadito is that their bartenders craft some of the best cocktails in the city- if you like good food with good drinks in a energetic setting- this place is phenomenal.Special Features:
- Fun Friday NightLittleMissMaddieDined on 8/22/2014Met a friend here for drinks & apps before a concert. Really nice waiter (didn't get upset when we decided against ordering entrees). Highly recommend the guac sampler. Tons of marg options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm not a foodieevilgeniusofevilDined on 8/21/2014But people accused me of being one while I raved about Mercadito's taco plates. Hard to imagine being excited about tacos, but these are really something special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.