108 W. Kinzie
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3123299555x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday 11:00am-3:30pm & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday: 5:00pm- 2:00am: Saturday: 5:00pm - 3:00am
After midnight we offer a late night menu.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: MH-Catering: website: www.mh-catering.com
Our team's knowledge is grounded in their experience as consumers and connoisseurs, and then improved through decades of restaurant and industry experience. We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs. It is important to us that every guest has an exceptional experience and is provided with extraordinary service.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan your next birthday, office party, or event at Mercadito. For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan a memorable event that will exceed your expectations.
- Private Party Contact: Wendy Wohlfeill 3123299555x
- Special Events: For parties of seven or more we offer a range of tasting menus and open bar options to fit any budget and palate. We are happy to help you plan your event. Contact: email@example.com
A word from Mercadito Chicago
The newest Mercadito locations are the chicest and most modern additions to the restaurant family. Ample sized banquets accommodate large parties while smaller white quartzite tables and the soft wood floor and ceiling keep the atmosphere cozy. Exquisite details include rope screens separating banquettes, handmade pyramid-shaped copper lights illuminating the bar, and unique graffiti-style murals dressing the dining rooms. A massive bar area and lounge lets guests relax while taking in the stylish and upscale environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mercadito Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Mercadito Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
352 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (173)fit for foodies (158)good for groups (142)vibrant bar scene (123)special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (65)late-night find (54)great for lunch (49)great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (40)great for brunch (23)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- great tacos and margaritas!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/20/2014not a place for a date night as tables are literally (>3) inches next to each other. very busy restaurant at night but food is quickly served!Special Features:
- Estupendo!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Our first time here and we had a very enjoyable and satisfying time! Loved the food,delish, loved the ambiance a must go again on our list! Oh and the drinks...AWESOME!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three girls walk into Mercadito...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great music! Outstanding service from both Miguel and Victor. Delicious Mango Margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Loved it but quite loud. They really rush you through your meal tooSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor service.T3000Dined on 10/17/2014After waiting 45 minutes past our reservation time, we were seated and had to wait about another ten minutes to order drinks. Once we spoke to out waiter he was very accommodating and service improved. The food was excellent once we were finally able to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portions, rushedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Food was good but it's not a great place for groups. They also provide a group menu with the cheapest option for each person being $30. The portions are very small and they charged for any extra guacamole, salsa, sides, etc. The size of the sides are saucer size for 4 people and even the saucer is not full with food. They also asked if we could be done eating by a certain time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love lovejbo1Dined on 10/13/2014I love this place. Amazing margaritas and food never disappoints! Great eclectic take on Mexican.Special Features:
- Amazing Food and Great ServiceA10592Dined on 10/13/2014Mercadito Chicago-River North is a true neighborhood gem. Their fast and friendly service is perfect for a quick lunchtime get away from the office. The food is fresh and always amazing. A great place for a group lunch or quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Best drinks ever!NinoDined on 10/11/2014Great atmosphere for late night dinner. The tacos were not my favorite . First time I had a steak taco with a salad dressing sauce, not a good combination. The tacos were a little cold and the salsa was not spicy at all. The drinks are fantastic!!!Special Features:
- fun for a groupcolleenDined on 10/11/2014We celebrated my sister's birthday here and were able to do a sharing menu that was affordable and delicious!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent and definitely will be back with friends. The bar tenders were friendly and knowledgeable about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodChitowngirlDined on 10/11/2014Dined here for the first time in July during a convention. Came back now for a friends bday. His family is Mexican so it was a nail biter and an epic fail if he didn't like it. From the first bite if guacamole he was hooked. We had two guacamoles, queso fundido with short ribs and the carne and carnitas tacos. He raved about everything. The next plate was better than the previous. He's bringing his mom! If that's not a ringing endorsement I don't know what is. Mercadito, thanks for not being a one time wonder kid, you're the real dealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic MexicanJc62VIPDined on 10/10/2014Awesome food. Great atmosphere but a bit loud. Sometimes felt like we were screaming. That said, the food is awesome!! Pricy for the portions but everything is so well flavored! A fun place for sharing. Our dinner Trio of guacamole Trio of salsa Shrimp ceviche, lobster ceviche Mahi mahi tacos Shrimp tacos Carne asada Rock shrimp with lettuce wraps Topped of with bread pudding. Yum Also... The tequila is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy + Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Delicious, unique tacos - lots of varieties that taste very different. Lobster taco special was the favorite. Guacamole Trio always delights - along w/ craft cocktails. Ask about the Big little market - delicious tequila cocktail with muddle pineapple. Only thing to call out - if you don't like tequila, cocktail selection not nearly as exciting.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/7/2014If you're looking for a modern twist on classic Mexican food, this is the place. The ambiance is fantastic, the food was flavorful and the service was great. We ordered the flight of guacamole (pricey, but good), carne tacos (OUTSTANDING) and mariscados seafood tacos that were deconstructed so that you could make your own. Highly recommend the entrees here.Special Features:
- goodRG120Dined on 10/5/2014Great tacos, great drinks, and usually great service. This past weekend however our waiter was not as attentive as before. He seemed to take super long to come back we were getting impatient trying to order a to go item and our check . Other than that it is usually a great place to relax have some amazing drinks and we also ordered tacos and shared them tapas style so we all got to try everything. The ceviche mixto is not all that didn't have much flavor. The shrimp and ceviche have much more flavor. Estilo baja tacos my favorite!!Special Features:
- Seating ConcernAnjeDined on 10/4/2014The food is good, however, I'm not sure that the lack of seating is worth the wait. You wait for 30 minutes or more even with a reservation then you are seated in a lounge area with small chairs and tables that are child size. The seating situation takes away from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise level was atrociousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/4/2014The noise level was so extreme we left before our entrees came.Special Features:
- Decent.aib91Dined on 10/4/2014Phenomenal service. Good drinks. Food was ok. Overall experience felt like a better customer service version of taco joint... except the tacos weren't quite as good.Special Features:
- Too Loud Too CrampedTheehonesttruthDined on 10/3/2014Food was good. Drinks are very over priced. This place is very cramped. The 5th anniversary was $5 night but the bill ended up 15 times that.Special Features:
- Great Food, little loudIslandgalDined on 10/3/2014Great food just a little loud with the music level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food...Great AtmosphereTravelgirl27VIPDined on 10/3/2014This was my first time to Mercadito and it will not be my last...The food is tasty, which in my opinion, most restaurants miss the mark. I went for lunch with a couple of my co-workers and we were in and out in about an hour. I do wish our server was a little more attentive in other areas. I would like to come back and try it on the weekend for dinner. The atmosphere was my cup of tea, dim lighting and comfortable seating. I had the quesadillas, which were good, they are small and not your typical quesadillas, but it was enough for lunch in addition to our guacamole that we split and our side of rice we got. My co-workers got tacos and they looked just as good as mine, if not better. It is definitely a place to try, don't pass it up!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't trust the kitchenInthecity4Dined on 10/2/2014For health reasons I do not eat dairy, items are marked v for vegetarian. I told my waitress I was vegan.I picked the mushroom torta making sure no cheese, the black beans did not contain animal products and reiterating I wanted it made vegan. By the end of my meal my stomach started to hurt and by the time I got back to my desk it was much worse. I called Mercadito and turns out they butter the torta roll. They were trying to figure out if it was my waitress or the kitchen who dropped the ball (and for the record I don't care who messed up). For anyone with a food restriction or allergy do not go to Mercadito. Also food is delivered as it comes out. Very awkward for a business lunch. My colleagues tacos arrived quite a bit before my meal.
- hostess stand disorganizedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2014We got there 30 mins early and was told that we would be seated in 10 mins. So we moved onto the bar and ordered a couple drinks. 30 mins later we still had not been seated. I then walked over to the hostess stand and asked them where we were on the list and it was evident that they had forgotten about us. I explained that we were at the bar and they immediately came over and attempted to seat us in a 2 person table. We had 3 people. I would have thought that the manager would have come over and apologized or offered a drink or dessert on the house.Special Features:
- Gormet MexicanDubod62Dined on 9/29/2014Better than I expected. When I travel to Chicago amici can is never on the radar. The better known competition is closed Sunday and Monday so this was a great alturnative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedredredDined on 9/29/2014The food at Mercadito was good. However, at the end of the day they are just serving Mexican food and $9.50 for a tiny portion of guacamole or $16.50 for tacos is just silly--I don't care if you are calling it "gormet" or "fusion." However, the cocktails were lovely, would only go back for drinks.Special Features:
- Customer Service Was GreatSellyVIPDined on 9/28/2014I've been going to this place since they opened up. We are apart of the River North Association and we strive on supporting businesses in this area. the food was great the drinks are a bit pricey, they should offer drink specials but they were good. Our waiter Fernando was attractive and his service was outstanding. He told us that if we work in the neighboring area we could get a discount on Industry Day which is oddly on a Sunday. But since my coworkers and I were on a leisurely Sunday dinner none of us had business cards to prove we work in the area so unfortunately we couldnt get the discount. But nonetheless we had a great time. We will be back.Special Features:
- Loud but great foodMHSLDined on 9/27/2014I made reservations with open table and we had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. The reservation was at 9:45 on a Saturday night and it was so loud inside the restaurant. Although I love an energetic ambiance, I was glad that it was a nice night and we were seated outside. We ordered little market margaritas and the traditional guacamole. The guacamole was delicious, but a little on the spicy side the margarita was excellent. I had the carne asada. It was good but a little on the chewy side. My boyfriend thought the lobster tacos were good. For dessert we had the flan. Our server was great. Overall it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Way too expensiveChiBlondeGirlDined on 9/27/2014I don't think I've ever paid 68 bucks for a cocktail & tacos...until I went here. It was a very satisfying tapas style meal but if you really think about it, guacamole, salsa and tacos shouldn't cost you over 50 bucks a person with tax + tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LONG WAIT EVEN WITH RESERVATIONS!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014The food and atmosphere is great here! This is my third time at Mercadito and each time I had 8:00 reservations and had to wait at least an hour to sit down. Each time I went I had a party of three, it is not accommodating for parties smaller than four. You have to wait until the whole party is there, then they make you wait over an hour while sitting larger parties. It's horrible! When I told the manager the response was we will get you seated next and that was after four tables were seated after the fact. Very disappointed!Special Features:
- fun drinks, outstanding servicejillnortonDined on 9/26/2014We had a 9:15 reservation that we were running late to but the staff was accommodating and after just enough time to order a drink at the bar, we were seated. fun, loud environment, but perfect for that time of night on a saturday. we loved the food (oyster tacos and carne asada) and the drinks were outstanding and we loved our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisyJavy1415Dined on 9/26/2014Service was great! But too loud! If you have a party of two watch out cause you'll be sitting right next to someone else. Think a party of two should have a bit more privacy. Food was amazing....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerAshleySinclairDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, service, festive ambience- thank you !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeekenddinersVIPDined on 9/24/2014Had an excellent experience at mercadito. Excellent service, our waiter was so knowledgeable about the drink and food menu. The salsas we tried were amazing, only complaint is that you don't get more of it! Our entire group had different tacos. Carne, pork, fish and mushroom. While I enjoyed the mushroom, I was the only one. Everyone raved about the others. The drink menu is very unique and what we tried was delicious (misty sleeve. Dizzy oaxcan, and one other that had greens in it). Overall a great night and on the list to try again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeloveteaDined on 9/23/2014This place was so good!!! I would recommend to anyone! A lot of variety!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/23/2014Great food, but terrible service! Very disappointing as the service is usually good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food but pricey sides312regularDined on 9/22/2014We thought our two lunches were outstanding from a taste standpoint. The restaurant also has an open, comfortable feel. Our only issue was the price and size of the guacamole and salsas. The guac. choices range start at $8.50 so we did not order any, but the portion we saw at another table was not commensurate with the price. While there is a very cool selection of 6 or 7 salsas to choose from, it's around $5 for two and the portion is very, very small, so it's more of an issue with the portion than the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerIowaHickDined on 9/21/2014Stopped in for an early dinner before a concert at the Chicago Theater. The food and cocktails were very good. We stuck with sharing several small plates. The guacamole and the tacos we tried were all very tasty. Table service was good as well, my one complaint is that our server seemed to be trying to rush us off after we had tried just a few plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing tacos but expensivehannahbananaVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place is LOUD, as all of the other reviews note, but my friends and I knew that in advance. After all, we are four friends out on the town and not a romantic date night. Don't count on being able to have a productive conversation at dinner. Otherwise, this place is really fun! There is a bar below where you can get drinks while you wait for your table and the crowd is young, vibrant, and ready to have fun. Also, the tacos are amazing. You can make one order of 4 tacos but you can mix it up with your friends! The only downside is that it is much more expensive than you expect it to be, and maybe not quite worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD FOOD. CRAZY PRICES!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Im all 4 spending $150 4 a dinner 4 two with dessert at a high end Steakhouse. But not a PLACE DAT SERVES PRETTY MUCH MEXICAN FOOD WITH SUPER SMALL PORTIONS. WITH THE MONEY I SPENT 4 : GUAC ,TACOS, and FLan I KINDA FELT RIPPED OFF. BUT ALL IN ALL GOOD FOOD N SERVICE JUS NOT FOND OF THE PRICES. I WUD COME AGAIN BUT NOT OCCASIONALLY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.