Mercadito Avenue B
179 Avenue B
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mercadito Avenue B
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2125296490
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs.Food and beverage packages can be customized to our guests wishes.
A word from Mercadito Avenue B
Expertly blending traditional Mexico with creative interpretations of local and seasonal ingredients is the inspiration behind Mercadito restaurants. Spanish for “little market”, Mercadito is modeled after the markets chef Patricio Sandoval shopped at while growing up in his native Mexico. His muse is the cuisine of the southern region but when mixed with his own style he creates authentic dishes with an added flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mercadito Avenue B - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Mercadito Avenue B reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (9)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (6)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Unique & very tasty mexican foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Absolutely amazing food. Very accommodative to vegetariansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotdisappointedDined on 8/13/2014Cool Mexican spot, great service, very friendly staff. Bartender made an amazing spicy pineapple margarita, the mango margaritas were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Backroom delight!RandPVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good post- happy hour experience in backroom. Yes, their 5-7pm experience is a big winner weeknights-- yet even later this was great tastes, good service & fab drinks. The surprise was the charmingly rustic backroom downstairs. Great for groups or smaller gatherings & air conditioned too! (unlike too close, open front area or bar seating) Mercadito is a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Must visitFoodmanDined on 7/12/2014I've been looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant since Mama Mexico closed a few years ago. At Mercadito, I found what I've been looking for. Incredible food -- and you must get all three guacamoles. You will not be disappointedSpecial Features:
- Fave MexicanTiinavivaDined on 7/4/2014I keep coming back. Tha tacos are excellent and I love the lettuce option. Their guacamole is the best outside of Mexico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAHI MAHI TACOSSUNRAESDined on 6/13/2014This place has absolutely phenomenal tacos. If you're having a craving the pork tacos or the mahi mahi are spot on. I would suggest 4 people go and pick 4 different things just so you can mix and match. The traditional salsa is amazing, or the pineapple as the second best. I wouldnt of the trio again.Special Features:
- Hidden gem!murrayhillfoodieDined on 6/10/2014Authentic Mexican cuisine with amazing drinks and a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Quality SpotDnc1Dined on 5/30/2014The table was ready for us right at the time of our reservation, which is great because there was a waiting list and the venue was packed. The traditional margarita on the rocks was good, but the drink itself was a bit on the salty side. The queso fundido with chorizo was decent, but the cheese was very elastic, and the minced chorizo topping was small and in just one spot, which was a little disappointing. The pollo tacos were fantabulous, and the time from pan-to-table was very fast. The speed of the service was very well paced, and the water glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco Tuesday and great margaritas!JajaDined on 5/27/2014This is a very flavorful restaurant. Love the guac, taco variety, and margaritas. Never disappointing.Special Features:
- Really good!DeeDeeWDined on 5/16/2014I had the chance to dine several times at Gallo Blanco in Phoenix. Their pollo asado and flan were especially good. When I returned home to NY, I was dying to find an authentic Mexican restaurant that serves flan de cajeta. My google search led me to Mercadito B. A friend and I came during happy hour, ordered pancita tacos, pollo a las brasas and flan. The drinks were delicious (love the Little Market cocktail!). The pancita tacos were excellent. The chicken was delicious and nicely seasoned. The flan was not like I was hoping for but pretty good nonetheless. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Accommodating and courteousMichelle13LDined on 5/6/2014My third time here over past 6-7 years. No complaints. :)Special Features:
- Not bad, not great...sg1618VIPDined on 5/5/2014This place is basically a standard, East Village style Mexican restaurant. No real frills. It's small (both the front space and the back room) so I'm not sure I would bring large groups here unless you had a very large group and were going to reserve the entire back room (maybe 16 - 20 people). The foods was decent. I've lived in Mexico and Texas, so had a lot better, but also had worse. Nothing really stood out to make me want to go back, but I would if I were nearby and really craving Mexican. I just wouldn't go out of my way to come here.
- Sub-par food and servicePopsadaisyDined on 5/3/2014The fish tacos consisted of a piece of dry, overdone fish and a single slice of avocado, nothing else. The mole tacos tasted stale. And the service was terrible! Definitely not going there again, such a disappointment.
- The following 34 reviews are from the Mercadito Avenue B reviews archive.
- Terrific Taco Tuesday!StMarksGalDined on 4/29/2014At first I was a little worried when we walked in and saw every table was full in the small front room but when the waitress brought us to a lovely mexican themed back room I knew Mercadito was the real deal. The Taco Tuesday deal was amazing and my friends and I took full advantage of trying as many different tacos as we could fit. All were delicious and the margaritas were fantastic too. Defininitely a neighborhood gem I'll be hoping to visit again soon. Perhaps Cinco de Mayo?!Special Features:
- Best Fish Tacos EVERKBNYC1981Dined on 4/26/2014This is the third time I have dined at Mercadito and I keep coming back for the fish tacos. They are amazing. This time I decided to try them in lettuce wraps instead of soft tacos and they were just as delicious! I highly recommend!Special Features:
- OkRenkaDined on 3/31/2014Restaurant was a cute cantina with great service, but the good was just okSpecial Features:
- Not as good as I hopedtjd482Dined on 3/28/2014Pros: nice atmosphere in the back. Decent service. Very good chips and guac. Cons: food just was not very good in my opinion. The ceviche tasted odd. It literally tasted like it was cooked in fruit punch. Fish tacos were not good either. The fish was way too fishy and the soft shells crumpled apart when trying to eat. I might go back again but would not order the ceviche or pescado tacos.
- I look Mercadito, but muchnyc361Dined on 3/28/2014I look Mercadito, but much prefer the West Village location. We were sat literally right behind the door so anytime someone opened the door to come into the restaurant they the door hit one of the chairs at the table. We ordered sides with our meals which they brought out so much before our entrees that they were cold by the time we got our entrees. They also brought three of of the dishes out and we had to wait a long time for the final dish to arrive so again by the time we ate our food it was cold. The waiters were also not friendly. They may have been having an off night but would recommend the West Village location over this one.
- Good Mexican localAnnamaltDined on 3/28/2014Tacos are delicious (steak or calamari). Yummy guacamole for a great price during happy hour. Can't fault it for a $20 meal that is just around the corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for double-dateLauraVIPDined on 3/6/2014Tried Mercadito with a group of couples and had a great time. Good margaritas and guac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun casual East Village brunch spotlinzsheltonDined on 3/2/2014Love this neighborhood gem - it's Ave B b/t 11th & 12th so it's a bit off the beaten East Village path, so great for avoiding lines and overcrowding for a Sunday afternoon brunch. I wouldn't say their food is life-changing but for a California girl who craves Mexican food like it's oxygen, this place is great for a fix. The guacamole trio is awesome, as are the camaron and pastor tacos (and just spicy enough, which was great.) We did the "hangover cure" brunch: one brunch item + a mimosa, tequila bloody mary, or sangria, and were all quite satisfied. Not too difficult to get an Open Table reservation even at prime NYC brunch time, so keep this one on your backup list when the lines are too long elsewhere and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureAlphaChezDined on 2/28/2014I have been tot his little gem about a dozen times over the years. Always greeted with a smile and served quickly. The staff is great, the food is fantastic and the drinks are strong. The guacamole tasting plate is a favorite. I've always done an assortment of tacos with the company I'm with. The tilapia and carne being particular favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all you can eat dealtjdinerDined on 2/17/2014Their tacos are amazing - the restaurant is a bit awkwardly laid out, and the back room is a bit chilly in the winter time. I'll definitely go back again though - such good food.Special Features:
- Different but GreatGuestDined on 2/14/2014We went to a Mercadito in Chicago and love it. This one was different than the one we previously went to but the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As much as I love the foodMellyDined on 1/10/2014As much as I love the food and the service, it's way too crowded. They need to find a better seating arrangement up front. Everyone is on top of each other and the front door opens up and hits the chair of the person sitting right there.Special Features:
- Of the three guars that weSarahDined on 1/5/2014Of the three guars that we tried, our favorite was the pineapple. Love that they offer the sampler trio. Tacos were absolutely delicious - highly recommend both the shrimp and the mushroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small space and platesDas1987VIPDined on 1/4/2014Overall we really enjoyed this spot. Great location for dinner before meeting friends for drinks in the east village. The salsa tasted really good/spicy but came in a tiny portion. The fish tacos were delicious but also small for a main dish. We made a reservation and sat right down, which I would do again since the place was small and busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...FoodieDined on 12/11/2013I had high expectations of this place given the fact that I visited Chicago location: which was very swanky.the comparison of the two locations are day and night. Servers were not as attentive, we had to constantly look for the server or yell across to get there attention. Food wise, it was skimpy. I love the lettuce bib tacos from Chicago and are decent size....The nyc location had slim tacos, bibs were so tiny. It was difficult to believe the cost was same as the Chicago location. Not happy at all for NYC office.
- Best Tacos EVER!happydiner4Dined on 12/9/2013Love this place and keep coming back. Make reservations if you are coming after 7 pm (on any night), to be sure, but if you come later afternoon, they will seat you right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnfortunateFood4thoughyDined on 12/6/2013They told us they couldn't seat us for at least an hour after our reservation and there was absolutely no room for us to wait. Make sure you have backup plans so you aren't left with no other place to go on your birthday, like us.
- Busy Night, But Great ServiceajneupVIPDined on 12/6/2013Made a last minute reservation on a very busy Friday night and was seated promptly. Food is very good and waiters were very attentive despite the somewhat angry/impatient customers waiting for a table.Special Features:
- so-so experiencemichyVIPDined on 12/3/2013We were there for $5 taco night (didn't realize that) and it was quite busy. The food was OK, I had two talapia tacos that were fine and we started with guacamole which was tasty. My friend had a chicken dish that was also OK. The problem was the service. We just sat down and instead of asking if we wanted drinks, the server wanted to take our food order immediately before we had a chance to see the menu. The server barely gave us time and came back again saying "you ready now". We wanted to just relax, have a drink, then order but the meal began with anxiety. Had to ask three times to refill our water and it was spilled on the table each time. Took 15 minutes to get our drinks as well,,a rushed experience, not relaxing.
- Best mexClasseDined on 11/18/2013Searching for NY's best mexican on the internet. Mercadito came up as on option. It turned out to be a very good proposal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tacos that I've eaten in NYCMrMaxGDined on 11/16/2013Mercadito is a very small lively restaurant. We had reservations for two at 745p and they were able to seat us immediately. However the table was right by the front door, so close in fact that every time the front door opened, it nearly struck our table. I had to repeatedly ask people to close the door to protect us from the breeze. I would recommend going with a group larger than two to avoid sitting in that same table or simply during off peak hours. The ceviche de camarones appetizer was delicious. I ate the pork belly tacos for my main course and simply don't think I've ever had better in this city. Our waitress was friendly and gave us free dessert and shots of tequila to make up for the seating. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tacos, But Too Cramped & LoudFoodGuyinLICVIPDined on 11/10/2013We have eaten at Mercadito on Ave B several times and we've never been disappointed by the food. All their different guacs are super fresh and tasty and their tacos are awesome. My only complaint is that it's really cramped and LOUD downstairs in the main dining area. So unless you have a big group, I would suggest sitting upstairs if you can...away from the table by the door...we saw 2 people get hit by the opening door there...just when we were walking in and out of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Brunch PlacemaggiezDined on 11/9/2013Mercadito Ave B is a fun place to meet friends for brunch on the weekends. If you get their Hangover Special, you get one of their signature drinks, an entree, and rice and beans all for $18. I love their chicken tacos and their guacamole is very fresh with lots of chunks of avocado. The staff is very prompt and always very nice. I will continue to go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerAlisonDined on 11/2/2013Went to dinner on a Saturday night in a group of 6. Our server was wonderful and attentive and all of the food was delicious. Each person got a different kind of taco so we could all share and no one could decide on what was the winner, they were all so good! We also got the guacamole trio which shouldn't be missed and margaritas. I especially loved the margarita with the fresh fruit. We will definitely be going back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos always perfect11375fhDined on 11/1/2013The tacos are always two bites of perfect flavors and textures. I've never been disappointed by them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!NickDined on 9/20/2013Mercadito is a small, dark and loud restaurant that makes incredible food. Service is quick, friendly and helpful. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tacos, okay guacOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2013I was excited by the 3 different guac flavors, but expected more from them. The mango and pineapple ones were just okay. The tacos were great however. We got the Carne and the Pescado- both delicious. (Pescado was my favorite though). Overall really tasty and not bad prices, would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.