Mercadito Avenue B
179 Avenue B
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mercadito Avenue B
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mercaditorestaurants.com/
- Phone: (212) 529-6490
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm-4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Patricio Sandoval
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We strive to create a remarkable and unique experience by perfectly detailing every aspect of your catering and event needs.Food and beverage packages can be customized to our guests wishes.
A word from Mercadito Avenue B
Expertly blending traditional Mexico with creative interpretations of local and seasonal ingredients is the inspiration behind Mercadito restaurants. Spanish for “little market”, Mercadito is modeled after the markets chef Patricio Sandoval shopped at while growing up in his native Mexico. His muse is the cuisine of the southern region but when mixed with his own style he creates authentic dishes with an added flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mercadito Avenue B reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (15)hot spot (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Reasons to be happy!RandPVIPDined on 11/4/2014Always friendly service, good bar & favorite foods makes for fine neighborhood night out! Tasty variety of tacos, great assorted guacamole choices too. Happy hour sets us up for happy night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but too loudRegularJonDined on 10/24/2014The food was excellent, but it's way too loud. I wouldn't come again on a Saturday evening. Even the bar was crowded, and the music was mostly terrible.Special Features:
- deliciousBarbDined on 10/18/2014Delicious an fun- we ate here early and it was already filling up. Service was attentive and the food was dellcious. Well priced, fun place with great food.Special Features:
- Nice Brunch (The Hangover Cure)maggiezDined on 10/5/2014This place has great tacos. Everyone in my party ordered tacos and no one was disappointed. The service can be a little slow, but they are usually nice. We will return.Special Features:
- Good margs, iffy tacosMarshVIPDined on 10/3/2014Not many places use the right "Mexican limes" to make a proper margarita, but these guys do. (Although it's questionable whether the non-descript pouring bottle used after the tequila actually contains Grand Marnier.) Sadly the recommended carne tacos tasted absolutely awful (had to send them back) due to a sauce that tasted like window cleaner. Staff was completely apologetic though and quickly recovered with a decent plate of pastor tacos.Special Features:
- Wary of price switcheatingoutDined on 9/28/2014Be cautious of the listed price on the menu and the actual price on the check. The price of the Sangria, for example, is listed as $10.00 on the menu but the bill it came out to $35.00.Special Features:
- Love this place!tacofanDined on 9/15/2014Recently went for a quiet girls' dinner at Mercadito. As usual, the food was delicious (we split a bunch of appetizers and tacos) and so were the drinks. The staff just couldn't be nicer, and the atmosphere is really cozy and great. Highly recommend!I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmokestackDined on 9/13/2014Vibrant and tight location where close quarters are a positive. Friendly relaxed atmosphere ideal for a small group to share meals and lively conversation. Food solid!Special Features:
- Yummy tacosJasonVIPDined on 9/12/2014Lots of fantastic taco action happening here. Try them all and get yourself full. There's a huge back room that you can't see from the street that is good for large parties and groups.Special Features:
- The Place You Wish You Knew BeforeGalAboutTownDined on 9/12/2014Very tucked away from the maddening crowds, a sweet restaurant ready to serve awaits. The food--you'll go back. The service--you'll wish was every where else you've ever been, but it is localized to Mercadito. The arrangement puts you right next to strangers on a date, or other kinds of strangers. While grossly intimate, if you're ready for it, you'll find you forget about the strangers right next to you, as you and they have an amazing night of dishes that will remark and remain for days. Consider it a place of high-volume; you're not going to sit there all night, that would be rude. It's a get in, enjoy, the world is yours, but get moving and share with the next ones waiting. And there are always someones waiting.Special Features:
- tacostengohambreVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great tacos, comes in 4, so was perfect for our 4 top. I never order chicken at restaurants because chicken is chicken BUT I saw other table order it and looked so good so I ordered it and am happy that I did. The beer batter fish tacos were light, crispy and flavorful. The tables are super close together but didn't really mind much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JBintheCityDined on 9/7/2014Good food. Terrible service. I have been there a lot and whether it is busy or slow in the restaurant they have slow service and are not attentive.
- Consistent winner!RandPVIPDined on 8/31/2014Brunch, dinner or just happy hour spot -- really wonderful food & fine service. Manager settled our questions, waitress also explained menu items & the bar kept the drinks on point too. We recommend to neighbors & East Village visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique & very tasty mexican foodritzatlibertyDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely amazing food. Very accommodative to vegetariansSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool spotdisappointedDined on 8/13/2014Cool Mexican spot, great service, very friendly staff. Bartender made an amazing spicy pineapple margarita, the mango margaritas were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Backroom delight!RandPVIPDined on 8/4/2014Good post- happy hour experience in backroom. Yes, their 5-7pm experience is a big winner weeknights-- yet even later this was great tastes, good service & fab drinks. The surprise was the charmingly rustic backroom downstairs. Great for groups or smaller gatherings & air conditioned too! (unlike too close, open front area or bar seating) Mercadito is a true neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Mercadito Avenue B reviews archive.
- Must visitFoodmanDined on 7/12/2014I've been looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant since Mama Mexico closed a few years ago. At Mercadito, I found what I've been looking for. Incredible food -- and you must get all three guacamoles. You will not be disappointedSpecial Features:
- Fave MexicanTiinavivaDined on 7/4/2014I keep coming back. Tha tacos are excellent and I love the lettuce option. Their guacamole is the best outside of Mexico!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAHI MAHI TACOSSUNRAESDined on 6/13/2014This place has absolutely phenomenal tacos. If you're having a craving the pork tacos or the mahi mahi are spot on. I would suggest 4 people go and pick 4 different things just so you can mix and match. The traditional salsa is amazing, or the pineapple as the second best. I wouldnt of the trio again.Special Features:
- Hidden gem!murrayhillfoodieDined on 6/10/2014Authentic Mexican cuisine with amazing drinks and a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Quality SpotDnc1Dined on 5/30/2014The table was ready for us right at the time of our reservation, which is great because there was a waiting list and the venue was packed. The traditional margarita on the rocks was good, but the drink itself was a bit on the salty side. The queso fundido with chorizo was decent, but the cheese was very elastic, and the minced chorizo topping was small and in just one spot, which was a little disappointing. The pollo tacos were fantabulous, and the time from pan-to-table was very fast. The speed of the service was very well paced, and the water glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco Tuesday and great margaritas!JajaDined on 5/27/2014This is a very flavorful restaurant. Love the guac, taco variety, and margaritas. Never disappointing.Special Features:
- Really good!DeeDeeWDined on 5/16/2014I had the chance to dine several times at Gallo Blanco in Phoenix. Their pollo asado and flan were especially good. When I returned home to NY, I was dying to find an authentic Mexican restaurant that serves flan de cajeta. My google search led me to Mercadito B. A friend and I came during happy hour, ordered pancita tacos, pollo a las brasas and flan. The drinks were delicious (love the Little Market cocktail!). The pancita tacos were excellent. The chicken was delicious and nicely seasoned. The flan was not like I was hoping for but pretty good nonetheless. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Accommodating and courteousMichelle13LDined on 5/6/2014My third time here over past 6-7 years. No complaints. :)Special Features:
- Not bad, not great...sg1618VIPDined on 5/5/2014This place is basically a standard, East Village style Mexican restaurant. No real frills. It's small (both the front space and the back room) so I'm not sure I would bring large groups here unless you had a very large group and were going to reserve the entire back room (maybe 16 - 20 people). The foods was decent. I've lived in Mexico and Texas, so had a lot better, but also had worse. Nothing really stood out to make me want to go back, but I would if I were nearby and really craving Mexican. I just wouldn't go out of my way to come here.
- Sub-par food and servicePopsadaisyDined on 5/3/2014The fish tacos consisted of a piece of dry, overdone fish and a single slice of avocado, nothing else. The mole tacos tasted stale. And the service was terrible! Definitely not going there again, such a disappointment.
- Terrific Taco Tuesday!StMarksGalDined on 4/29/2014At first I was a little worried when we walked in and saw every table was full in the small front room but when the waitress brought us to a lovely mexican themed back room I knew Mercadito was the real deal. The Taco Tuesday deal was amazing and my friends and I took full advantage of trying as many different tacos as we could fit. All were delicious and the margaritas were fantastic too. Defininitely a neighborhood gem I'll be hoping to visit again soon. Perhaps Cinco de Mayo?!Special Features:
- Best Fish Tacos EVERKBNYC1981VIPDined on 4/26/2014This is the third time I have dined at Mercadito and I keep coming back for the fish tacos. They are amazing. This time I decided to try them in lettuce wraps instead of soft tacos and they were just as delicious! I highly recommend!Special Features:
- OkRenkaDined on 3/31/2014Restaurant was a cute cantina with great service, but the good was just okSpecial Features:
- Not as good as I hopedtjd482Dined on 3/28/2014Pros: nice atmosphere in the back. Decent service. Very good chips and guac. Cons: food just was not very good in my opinion. The ceviche tasted odd. It literally tasted like it was cooked in fruit punch. Fish tacos were not good either. The fish was way too fishy and the soft shells crumpled apart when trying to eat. I might go back again but would not order the ceviche or pescado tacos.
- I look Mercadito, but muchnyc361Dined on 3/28/2014I look Mercadito, but much prefer the West Village location. We were sat literally right behind the door so anytime someone opened the door to come into the restaurant they the door hit one of the chairs at the table. We ordered sides with our meals which they brought out so much before our entrees that they were cold by the time we got our entrees. They also brought three of of the dishes out and we had to wait a long time for the final dish to arrive so again by the time we ate our food it was cold. The waiters were also not friendly. They may have been having an off night but would recommend the West Village location over this one.
- Good Mexican localAnnamaltVIPDined on 3/28/2014Tacos are delicious (steak or calamari). Yummy guacamole for a great price during happy hour. Can't fault it for a $20 meal that is just around the corner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for double-dateLauraVIPDined on 3/6/2014Tried Mercadito with a group of couples and had a great time. Good margaritas and guac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun casual East Village brunch spotlinzsheltonDined on 3/2/2014Love this neighborhood gem - it's Ave B b/t 11th & 12th so it's a bit off the beaten East Village path, so great for avoiding lines and overcrowding for a Sunday afternoon brunch. I wouldn't say their food is life-changing but for a California girl who craves Mexican food like it's oxygen, this place is great for a fix. The guacamole trio is awesome, as are the camaron and pastor tacos (and just spicy enough, which was great.) We did the "hangover cure" brunch: one brunch item + a mimosa, tequila bloody mary, or sangria, and were all quite satisfied. Not too difficult to get an Open Table reservation even at prime NYC brunch time, so keep this one on your backup list when the lines are too long elsewhere and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureAlphaChezDined on 2/28/2014I have been tot his little gem about a dozen times over the years. Always greeted with a smile and served quickly. The staff is great, the food is fantastic and the drinks are strong. The guacamole tasting plate is a favorite. I've always done an assortment of tacos with the company I'm with. The tilapia and carne being particular favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all you can eat dealtjdinerDined on 2/17/2014Their tacos are amazing - the restaurant is a bit awkwardly laid out, and the back room is a bit chilly in the winter time. I'll definitely go back again though - such good food.Special Features:
- Different but GreatGuestDined on 2/14/2014We went to a Mercadito in Chicago and love it. This one was different than the one we previously went to but the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As much as I love the foodMellyVIPDined on 1/10/2014As much as I love the food and the service, it's way too crowded. They need to find a better seating arrangement up front. Everyone is on top of each other and the front door opens up and hits the chair of the person sitting right there.Special Features:
- Of the three guars that weSarahDined on 1/5/2014Of the three guars that we tried, our favorite was the pineapple. Love that they offer the sampler trio. Tacos were absolutely delicious - highly recommend both the shrimp and the mushroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small space and platesDas1987VIPDined on 1/4/2014Overall we really enjoyed this spot. Great location for dinner before meeting friends for drinks in the east village. The salsa tasted really good/spicy but came in a tiny portion. The fish tacos were delicious but also small for a main dish. We made a reservation and sat right down, which I would do again since the place was small and busy.I would recommend this to a friend.