1029 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oakcitybarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 6503216882
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30 am- 2:00 pm Dinner: Monday-Thursday from 5:00 to 10:00 pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00 to 11:00 pm. Closed Sundays. Bar opens daily at 5:00 pm Monday through Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Hakki Erce
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Order from our menu or arrange in advance for a special at home or businees catering menu.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room comfortably accommodates up to 35 seated guests or 50 guests for a reception / cocktail party. Our main dining room seats up to 130 guests, and is available for larger parties. Please contact restaurants for details.
- Private Party Contact: Meg Patt 650-375-1919
- Entertainment: Everyday at the bar between 5:00-7:00 pm: $4 wells & house wine, drafts $3, Appetizers from $3.95 to $5.95 Live Music: Thursday Jam Session: 7-10 pm Friday 8:00 pm-11:00pm.
- Special Events: Mother's Day Champagne Brunch May 8, 2011 10am-3pm
A word from Menlo Hub
Welcome to Your Favorite Neighborhood Bar & Grill All Grown Up. We use all organic produce, all natural meat, fresh wild seafood. Enjoy our flavorful Californian Cuisine with a touch of Mediterranean flareContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Menlo Hub reviews from OpenTable diners
- I was disappointed in theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013I was disappointed in the food: the Caesar had too much dressing and full lettuce leaves that made it a chore to cut and the roasted chicken was bland and dry. The vegetables with the chicken were carrots and zucchini with a little butter. Very unimaginative. The meal reminded me of something we'd be served in the 1970s (or when we're 70).
- Not bad, not greatASIMSDined on 12/7/2013Ok food, ok service. The only thing that really stood out was the dramatic restaurant interior. I had soup, salad, and the complementary bread. Left full and content. Prices are a bit high for larger entrees. Would come back for happy hour, but probably not dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experienceAngelaCDined on 11/26/2013Except for the waiter, who was friendly and provided good service, this dinner was a huge disappointment. It was our first visit, and last. We were given a menu of "Specialty Drinks" but after ordering, were told that they didn't have the ingredients for the drinks we wanted. We were then told that there were ingredients missing for many of the drinks. So why did they give us the menu??? The burger was good, but the bun was dry and fell apart. The other items we ordered were bland. The veggies were bitter. We didn't stay to try the desserts.
- great place to watch the gameCharlesVIPDined on 11/2/2013only a few main course dishes on the menu ... but salads are great ........ lots of (quiet) TV's around the car and in the corners ... good parking right behind it ..... high ceiling makes the restaurant appear like a wine country eatery. Rarely crowded ...... This location on El Camino might be "jinxed" ..... prior restaurants at that spot all failed. Unless the menu is expanded and they do more advertising, they may face the same demise. I wish them luck.Special Features:
- Good food spoiled by serviceYurtilanDined on 10/25/2013Been here three times. Each time, the food was pretty good but the service was so slow sporadic that we just won't be going back. Don't know if it's a staffing issue or a workflow issue. A shame.
- Disappointing!CurtisLVIPDined on 10/11/2013The restaurant is confused. Burgers, pizza and some entrees. Loud noise from active bar. Would not return
- Menlo Hub Saturday DinnerBeleDined on 7/13/2013Menlo Hub is a really nice Neighborhood Bar. The pizza was good, thin crust, fresh tomatoes, and the cocktails were great. It's a little bit more upscale from a sports bar, the noise level is nicer, but it has this feel of casual dining.Special Features:
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2013Nothing stood out as being good. We asked the server a menu question after she took only my order, she left for the answer and didn't come back. Another server finished taking the order. My entree salad was brought out at east 10 minutes before my husbands first course salad. Food was very blah.Special Features:
- Good but not greatdvnoneVIPDined on 6/28/2013The food was good, but not a lot of options. The arugula salad was wonderful and the pizza was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner and great musicOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/31/2013We went because an acoustic blues group was playing there that night. We enjoyed both the music and the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good place if you want aAndreaVIPDined on 4/27/2013A good place if you want a full restaurant and are going to the movies next door. The hamburger was by far the best dish - even over the fish, chicken, lamb, etc. My feeling is this is more for families with great burgers and pizza.
- Great food, service and pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/12/2013Very good food, affordably priced. I don't know why it wasn't busier. We had soups and salad and it was tasty and fresh. The server took the initiative to make sure the Caesar dressing didn't have anchovies for my vegetarian friend (it did) so she was able to choose an alternative. Bean and veggie soup was light with a little spicy kick to it! Cobb salad was a good size and had generous portions of avocado, bacon and chicken.Special Features:
- Ordinary grill kind of place.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2013Ordinary grill kind of place. Good if you just want to meet your friends over a simple meal but nothing notable.Special Features:
- We went to hear an AcapellaKatrinaDined on 3/25/2013We went to hear an Acapella music group sing in this restaurant which was the main reason for us to attend so it's hard to know more about it's qualities when this is all it was set up for on the day we visited it.
- Definitely did not need theWorldTravellerDined on 2/20/2013Definitely did not need the reservation for a Wednesday night as our party of three had the choice of nearly any table in the house (though there were a number of patrons in the bar area). Surprising since all three of the dishes we had from the seafood specials for that night were very good in taste, portion size and price. And the creme brulee was one of the best we ever tasted. Will be going back for meals again soon, possibly ahead of catching some of their live music guests on Fridays and Saturdays nights.
- Great menu for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/14/2013Great menu for Valentine's Day. The Chicken Diane was excellent, and the Musaka is the best we've had anywhere.Special Features:
- I enjoy Menlo Hub for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/13/2013I enjoy Menlo Hub for dinner. My husband did not. It's a great place to go to eat a good meal and listen to live music. Looks like they have a bigger bar following than restaurant.Special Features:
- Food unbelievably mediocre.pvpartyDined on 2/2/2013Food unbelievably mediocre. Burger had to be sent back for further cooking, papardelle tasteless, bruschetta was large slices of cold dry French bread that could not be shared. Service poor. First cocktail arrived just before dinners. Waiter scarce; seems only one guy for all tables. Highlight? A great jazz band, the Judicious Jazz Group. Nice surroundings but food and service must improve.
- We had been there previouslyBobshymanDined on 1/26/2013We had been there previously when it was known as the Oak City Grill, and were a bit concerned when we walked in and realized that it was now a Sports bar with big screen TV's in several locations. However we found it to be very nice and when the music started at 8 PM. one hardly noticed the TVs. My wife's Sea Bass was the best she had ever tasted.Special Features:
- Menlo Hub - Local Hangout.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2013The Oak Street Bar and Grill changed names to the Menlo Hub but is still the same reasonable neighborhood joint. They often have live music which is a nice feature. The restaurant is fine, but the food was not as good as I had hoped and there is a strange mildewy smell in the front of the restaurant, maybe from the rainy weather? Not sure.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing. JazzWineloverMaggieDined on 1/11/2013Food was disappointing. Jazz music group was very good and not too loud. Overall 3/5. Maybe they will improve? I hope so, as Menlo Park needs to get its act together.Special Features:
- We had our traditional familyjohnVIPDined on 12/21/2012We had our traditional family Christmas eve dinner for 24 in a private room and it was outstanding. Everyone sang praises long after we left the restaurant. The NY steak and the filet mignon were most popular. Next was the Pappardelle Pasta, two had scallops and I had the sea bass. We met early and had cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in a casual setting before being seated. It was a rainy night and the fireplace was lovely. Wait service was top notch especially with the owner pitching in. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a casual evening out or in this case a very special large gathering.Special Features:
- The dinner Nicoise salad needsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/12/2012The dinner Nicoise salad needs some refinement. Apparently the chef doesn't know how to make a french Nicoise salad. The Ahi tuna was good. Too much spinach, not enough potato, 5 raw string beans, 4 asparagus. Perhaps a good cookbook will give the kitchen a heads-up. We go for the music not the food.
- Dinner at 6:30 on a Friday.SebastianVIPDined on 10/12/2012Dinner at 6:30 on a Friday. Would rate food as good but not outstanding. Service was great to begin with but diminished as the restaurant got more crowded. Had to flag down someone to ask our waiter to bring us the bill. Our waiter then took one of the two credit cards off the table without showing us the bill, so I had to get up and track him down to ask to first see the bill, and then have him split the bill between the two credit cards. He was clearly annoyed but I put that down to his having too many tables and customers to take care of.
- Nice Lunch Spotmops1234VIPDined on 10/2/2012I had a nice lunch with a friend at Menlo Hub. We had the Cobb Salad and the Beef and Prosciutto Tortellini. The bread and hummus-like spread were very good. The Tortellini came with soup or salad and I chose the sald with the house dressing. A really delicious, flavorful, well-tossed sald. The tortellini was excellent. The Cobb Salad really good. I really enjoyed this restaurant and would definitely revisit!Special Features:
- A comfortable and easy-goingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2012A comfortable and easy-going atmosphere with no pretentous decorations or flare. The service was friendly although not very efficient I felt that as the costumer I was not important enough in the operation of restaurant. The food was colorfully presented and nicely plated, the flavor profile of my Nicoise salad could have been more concentrated; the salad dressing was not distinguishing. I appreciated the perfectly cooked hard boiled egg, fresh greens, and crisp vegetables. It was unacceptable that I was denied my beer selection because they "ran out". And we were not offered a complementary drink for our inconvience: how important is the costumer's experience to the management?
- The food was good and tastyMarissAngelDined on 9/17/2012The food was good and tasty and the focaccia was yummy. The thing that soured us was the slow service. It really shouldn't take 25 minutes to get two sandwiches out. When I'm out for dinner and not watching the clock, I probably wouldn't mind the timing, but for lunch, when I'm on a shorter schedule, it needs to be faster. It was also a little disconcerting that two things on the salad list were already sold out by the time we got there at 12:30pm. I would recommend this place for someone looking for tasty food but not in a rush.
- Not too well pleased.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2012My wife chose a wine from the menu, but was told they no longer carry it. I ordered a dish from the menu, but was told they were out of it. They were also out of my 2nd choice from the menu. This was on an early Sat nite. Two times I asked for oil for my bread, but it never came. We ordered 1 cup of coffee, but were delivered, and charged for 2. The server didn't quite understand that we ordered only 1. I reluctantly took and paid for the 2nd, but there was no offer of change. If you go and want quiet, do not sit up front. But, the delivered dishes were good.Special Features:
- Our group enjoyed a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/13/2012Our group enjoyed a lovely evening in the private room as arranged with manager Lynda. Wines and an array of tasty appetizers greeted our guests and it was perfect. We sat in a large square table arrangement which made easy conversation and sharing of dishes so nice. We loved sharing the mac and cheese along with salads and entrees, but we all saved room for desserts too. Lynda did a super job in selecting wines and appetizers for our group. She was pleasant and very helpful in our planning. Great space for groups.Special Features:
- Lots to offer...!IamBMWDined on 8/10/2012Re-opened as the Menlo Hub with a new decor and an updated menu, the Hub recently starting serving lunch. The place was quiet (no too many tables filled), so our group received a great deal of attention. The lentil soup was delicious and complemented the iceberg lettuce salad I had very well. My guest's BLTA sandwich and fries were also wonderful. Try the desserts - best of the two we had was the chocolate lava cake with ice cream (baklava was not so good.) BEST PART - our drink glasses were NEVER EMPTY and on a hot summer day this was a TRUE PLUS! Great customer service and attention!!Special Features:
- salads, wine, bread, desertjoefDined on 8/3/2012salads, wine, bread, desert and coffee, service were good: main courses were TERRIBLE. Did not try the pizza--may be OK.
- Food, when it finally arrived,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2012Food, when it finally arrived, was okay. Server was great. If it's going to make it, this place had better get its act together.
- I was concerned when I enteredOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/23/2012I was concerned when I entered the restaurant because it looked sort of coffee shop-esque, especially compared to its predecessor at that location, Oak City Bar and Grill. However, our server had a great attitude and was very friendly. Importantly, the food was really delicious. I'd go back there again. (Try the pomegranite marguarita and Mary's chicken.)Special Features:
- Good flamenco but OK food, noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/21/2012Good flamenco music once per month. However food is OK quality and quite noisy. A little expensive.
- Great neighborhood place.smetzgerDined on 6/7/2012Great neighborhood place. Food is excellent. Interior of restaurant looked pretty worn and tired, but service was great.Special Features:
- While our food was well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/25/2012While our food was well prepared and tasty, the failures of the staff made it an irritating evening. We had one terrific busboy who not only greeted us and seated us, since host and waiter were nowhere to be found, but ended up correcting mistakes on the waiter's fault as welll (the order was taken incorrectly, and the busboy delivered our meal to us). This was my third try and I won't go back, it just takes the fun out of it, to get poor service.Special Features:
- Our waitress was funny andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/25/2012Our waitress was funny and very customer oriented. We always enjoy our food at Oak Street (Menlo Hub -- new name). My wife had the seafood pasta--she loved it. I had the skirt steak, which was cooked medium to perfection. Had 8:30 pm live music (Kaye Bohler) started and that was an extra treat--icing on the cake!Special Features:
- Satisfied CustomerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Because we made a last-minute reservation for Mother's Day brunch, we didn't necessarily have high expectations: However, we were 100% satisfied with our experience. There was an excellent variety of tasty food items: Seafood for my husband, creamy mac'n'cheese for my son, and different types of meat & veggies for the rest of us. The dessert bar added a nice touch with fruit, tiramisu, and eye-rolling chocolate mousse torte to name a few. The wait-staff was extremely friendly. We will definitely return. Thanks Open Table.Special Features:
- superb brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2012We had a superb meal when we came for the Mother's Day champagne brunch. We had been to the Bar and Grill before when I participated in the Thursday PM weekly jazz/blues jam session -- which was great fun also. We definitely will recommend the Sunday brunch, in particular, to our friends.Special Features:
- Mediocre food with good ambience.SureguruDined on 4/27/2012Ambience and service are the two things that were good for this place. I ordered a Stella Artois to start with and the beer arrives in a Bud Light glass that was cracked from top to half way down the glass. That was a bad start to my 'Date night' with my wife. I would accept that for a neighborhood dumpy bar, but not in a restaurant like this. The appetizer (polenta cakes) and Caesar salad were OK. The Caesar dressing tasted like a store bought dressing than restaurant made. Pork tenderloin was a bit dry and over all me and my wife agree that none of the dishes had great flavor. Bottomline: The place has a good bar with live music on Fridays (and I believe Saturdays). Food is not great. We'll never go there again.Special Features: