323 Kennett Pike
Rte 52 South
Mendenhall, PA 19357Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mendenhallinn.com/
- Phone: (610) 388-1181
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm;
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm;
December 1st - 23rd (only): Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 3:00pm
(Closed for Lunch January - November)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Chapin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Mendenhall Catering
- Private Party Facilities: From an intimate dinner for 12 to a function of 300, The Mendenhall Inn's professional Sales team will guide you in creating a once in a lifetime event with award-winning entrees & impeccable service.
- Private Party Contact: Sales Office 8889864184
- Entertainment: Please visit us at www.mendenhallinn.com
- Special Events: Please visit us at www.mendenhallinn.com
A word from Mendenhall Inn
Dining at the award winning Mendenhall Inn stands alone as one of the great destinations in the Brandywine Valley as you return to a time of classic elegance & charm. Entrees borrowed from French & classic American cuisine make dining at The Mendenhall Inn a truly memorable experience.Continued
Chef's creative daily specials!
Theme night menus and special prices!
Happy Hour and Tavern Menu Specials Monday - Friday nights!
Outside Dinner (Seasonal)
Chef's creative daily specials!
Theme night menus and special prices!
Happy Hour and Tavern Menu Specials Monday - Friday nights!
Outside Dinner (Seasonal)
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Mendenhall Inn - Best Restaurants in Mendenhall ›
Mendenhall Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (73)romantic (51)great for brunch (45)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (22)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)Show More
- AngelVIPDined on 11/18/2014Delicious food served in a cozy, old colonial inn atmosphere. We feel welcome, almost like visiting family. Outstanding service. Diverse menu. Thanks again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Excellance at the highest levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The wait staff was exceptional. From the moment my party entered right to the end of the evening every one was polite and very at tentative, The atmosphere was quiet and it was a great dining experience /fine dining experience for my grand daughters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveBrunchesLoveBrunchesDined on 11/9/2014The Inn's brunch menu is characterized by an incredible appetizer/desert buffet plus an excellent prepared entree. You can make a delicious meal out of just the appetizer buffet by sitting in the bar if you wish for $17 or you can include an entree for $25. We simply ordered the entrees and brought them home...well worth it. Compared to many other brunch places, it is very cost effective for the quality and variety of what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiancecfmrbm1Dined on 11/2/2014Our table was just as we wanted, in a quiet little spot for two, perfect for us. Prime rib was done as we requested. Food was outstanding, service wonderful. We enjoyed the evening very muchSpecial Features:
- LindapDined on 11/1/2014Food was solid but our waiter was a little overwhelmed and not as attentive as we would have liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014This is a nice place to eat if you want great food for a reasonable price. Went to diinner here as a birthday gift and had a very ggod time.Special Features:
- Great BrunchSongbirdDined on 10/26/2014We had a wonderful experience. The selections were varied and delicious. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am in crab heavenBubbles58Dined on 10/25/2014We have been to Mendenhall Inn several times, but not for dinner. (Each visit was great.) I had the pumpkin soup with crabmeat, and my husband had the snapper soup. Both soups were delicious. I ordered the crab cakes and my husband had the scallops. I have to say this is now my number one restaurant for crab cakes. The lumps of crab were the biggest that I have ever seen. The wait staff was very polite and accommodating. I am glad that we finally tried Mendenhall for dinner. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but good...BebeDined on 10/25/2014Great place for a special occasion...Food was good and plate presentations were very pleasing. Staff were friendly and efficient. I would not go back on a Saturday night but try a week night instead. Be warned about the parking - it is a horrendous situation. Between the hotel, various functions going on and the restaurant parking is not to be found. Allow an extra 15 minutes and be prepared to walk. That being said we would go back maybe for a Sunday brunch or another dinner as the food was very good. Overall our party was pleased.Special Features:
- DESERVES ANOTHER TRYSarahVIPDined on 10/24/2014Its possible we had an inexperience waiter. He had trouble opening our wine and we sat for quite a while waiting for our water and cocktails. However his service improved as the night went on and he was pleasant and attentive. Our salads, seafood/ surf & turf dishes were excellent. However, the prime rib that my friend ordered was inedible,stringy and very difficult to cut. I brought it home but my dog wouldn't even eat it. The broccoli and carrot sides that came with our dinners were basically raw. Additional sides were very good.Our desserts were yummy.It was basically a hit or miss dinner depending on what you ordered. The ambiance was wonderfully quiet. you could actually have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantDelguyDined on 10/18/2014My fiancée and i thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We both had oysters on the half-shell for appetizers, and her duck and my Red Snapper were served hot and tasted exactly as we expected. Although the restaurant was completely full our hostess took us to our table on-time and our waitress was knowledgeable and attentive but a little distracted by the large table next to us. It was a bit noisy but not overpowering. We both highly recommend the Mendenhall Inn, and it will be the perfect restaurant if they institute a dress code. Most of us were in suites and dresses, but there were a few patrons in jeans.Special Features:
- Glad we came with a couponRevMomDined on 10/17/2014While the food and service were very good, the prices are on the extravagant side. Wine was also expensive considering the labels they had, mostly all of them familiar. Best bet is to bring your own and pay the corkage fee. Center cut filet mignon was super tender and the half-duck with Thai sauce was yummy. Making reservations on OpenTable made it very easy and the restaurant gave my husband and I a nice nook to dine in on our date night.Special Features:
- Wonderful!windyDined on 10/16/2014It's been a few years, but glad we returned. Lovely dinning room and table setting. I had filet with crab imperial, it was great. My husband had surf and turf, and didn't feel it was the best he'd ever had, but was good.Special Features:
- Anniversary BrunchGregDined on 10/12/2014I had been to Mendenhall Inn for many years. My wife and I recently went for Sunday Brunch to celebrate our anniversary. The food selection for both the buffet and ordered entrees was fantastic. Everything was delicious and our server, Patrick was very professional. We will definitely visit the Mendenhall Inn more frequently now.Special Features:
- Great eveningDebbieDined on 10/10/2014All four of us enjoyed everythinging we ordered. Did not feel rushed. Loved the idea of the daily "specials", we will return to do them!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/5/2014Still the best Sunday brunch we have found in over 10 years. The menu has been updated and the quality and presentation of the entrees are still superb. A great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely BrunchGobegeeDined on 10/5/2014We came here for brunch for my girlfriend's birthday. Everything was impeccable. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable and the food was expertly prepared. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- BunnyDined on 10/4/2014Parking is difficult. They have several events going on at the same time, especially on Saturday nights. It would be helpful if they had valet parking for the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good placegreatdinerDined on 9/27/2014Overall a very decent place. Its little pricey though so its only for for special occasions :). Ambiance in my opinion was little too dark and old fashioned but again this place is in north wilmington (where typical rich ppl go) so i guess thats how they like it. I am not a foodie person but i liked what i ordered (Chef special - lobster tail). Serving size was adequate. We ordered a bottle of wine and my girlfriend ordered stake which she liked very much. For dessert we ordered Banana foster (my girlfriends fav of course). I really liked the table side flambé part. It was very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussuefrVIPDined on 9/27/2014This was our first visit and we were absolutely thrilled--the food was delicious and the atmosphere quiet and cozy. The only suggestion would be that the lighting was quite dim made it a bit hard to read the menues. Two of us had the prime rib and lobster tail specials and the other two had crab cakes. There was no problem substituting the starch offered for another one which is always appreciated. Our waitress was very good and we will be back!Special Features:
- Do not order vegetarian platterweaverVIPDined on 9/22/2014My husband ordered the filet and was pleased. I ordered the vegetarian platter and was not pleased. The advertised roasted vegetables tasted steamed. The variety of vegetables was mundane. The raviolis were gray in color. The sauce was overly spiced. And presentation was not eye pleasing.
- Delicious LobsterjmarieDined on 9/17/2014We specifically went for lobster night because the friend who accompanied my husband and myself loves lobster. She was very happy with the two delicious tails as were we. Salads were crisp and fresh. Bananas foster and peach melba were definitely special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchFoodandNistaVIPDined on 9/14/2014The Mendenhall has always been our go to place. Especially when we want to relax and enjoy our meal. Brunch is always good and in general the food is good. We arrived for a 12:30pm reservation knowing they close their Brunch at 2pm. Unfortunately, because of that (perhaps) there was virtually no desserts available except a few that had been obviously picked over. When we first went to the buffet tables all of the smoked fish was gone. Just bones left. They were never replaced. We will still continue to go to the Mendenhall but perhaps re-think the time we arrive.Special Features:
- ClaymontDinerDined on 9/13/2014When you enter the Inn, many scented candles create a wonderful atmosphere. The food is very good, with a great selection. The lobster tail was done perfectly and the filet was also excellent. Our only wish was we had room for dessert, the banana's foster looked great, but we were full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014We used to love this place. It was very different this time. From how we were greeted to the service, to the meal itself, it was mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysBillDined on 9/9/2014The food is excellent and the service matches. You can't have a bad meal at the Mendenhall Inn. It's always enjoyable to visit this great restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/3/2014I took a client and my staff for dinner at the Mendenhall Inn on Lobster Night. We started the evening with a variety of appetizers: snapper soup, clams casino, Long Island oysters. All were excellent. Most of our table ordered the rock lobster tail which was cooked to perfection. The salmon, crab cakes, filet and duck were top shelf as well. The wine list, though not extensive, offered enough of a range of wines and prices to choose nice selections for pairing with our meals. Tasty desserts capped off the evening: Strawberries Mendenhall and the Lava Volcano Cake were our favorites. Service slowed a bit after dinner and it took a while to close out our bill but our expereince at the Mendenhall Inn was an excellent one.Special Features:
- Great surprise .OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014My wife and I had not been thee for several years so we thought we would give it a try over Labor Day weekend. Are we glad we did. The wine by the bottle is very reasonable. The calamari appatizer was great and the crab cake dinner excellent. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable!TinkDined on 8/26/2014We came for the "Be your own chef" (Tuesday evenings). Good welcome, nice table affable wait staff. (Jamie). My husband ordered stuffed mushrooms with crabmeat and also scallops. These came with green beans and garlic mashed potatoes. All very tasty. I ordered the portabello mushrooms with balsamic vinegar (thought I was ordering mushrooms stuffed with crabmeat...my error) and the cab cake. The crab cake was terrific! Will be back!Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchanniedaveDined on 8/24/2014Lovely ambience, outstanding appetizer buffet, beautifully presented, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough DecisionsjmarieDined on 8/22/2014Our party of four was unanimous in that we need to return to try more of the menu selections. So many sounded appealing! We each enjoyed the dishes we chose and wound up sharing in order to sample more. The calamari was the best we have had anywhere. It's hard to say what the favorite entrée turned out to be but we all enjoyed the special tableside preparation of Irish coffee as we shared dessert. We have decided emphatically that we must return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngelVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is what fine-dining used to be. As soon as we walked in the door we felt welcome and relaxed. The food is still delicious, prepared and served to perfection. This is one of our favorites. We shall return. Thank you.Special Features:
- surf 'n turf dinnerdoublejDined on 8/14/2014Lovely table, good service. We went for the Thursday special surf 'n turf. Lobster tail delicious, veggies good, prime rib chewy. Brought our own wine - they provide cooler and no corking fee during the week. Will go back and try other special nights.Special Features:
- BYOB confusiondickDined on 8/13/2014Our party of seven for dinner was on a Wednesday night in August (there was a relative small quiet dinner crowd). I decided on this restaurant because of its central location to our guests. I also liked their "Theme Nite" because it offered a BYOB for a couple, but the entrée was limited to one or two dishes. Two of us decided on the "Theme Nite" entrée and I had brought one bottle for our BYOB. The other five guests ordered from the menu. Because these five did not order a "Theme Nite" entrée, I assumed they did not qualify for the BYOB. I later learned from the waiter that I could have brought three and1/2 bottles of wine, even though the other five guests did not order the "Theme Nite" entrée.Special Features:
- JillianG2015Dined on 8/12/2014We went out for my grandmothers 85th birthday. We have a great time and our server was amazing! The only thing I would've changed is how long it was to get our food. People who ordered soups were finished well before the people who ordered salads. Other than how long it took to get our food, it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencededelDined on 8/11/2014Everything from the steak to the lobster to the dessert was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 976 reviews are from the Mendenhall Inn reviews archive.
- At the Mendenhall InnAnniversaryCelebrantDined on 7/26/2014Service was prompt, courteous, and efficient, without being rushed. The food was cooked to perfection. The filet was tender and well seasoned. The crab cake I ordered was among the best I've ever had (and I am from the Chesapeake Bay country). Overall, our evening at the Mendenhall Inn was a pleasant one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old faithfulmjspausaDined on 7/22/2014The Mendenhall has been around for many years, and we have found it to be consistently reliable. We just had dinner there with out of town guests and we were all very pleased with our meals and the service.Special Features:
- Special EveningNightMareDined on 7/17/2014This dinner made our first wedding Anniversary extremely special. Our waiter, Andy, was amazing and helped make it a wonderful experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScottDined on 7/6/2014Phenominal brunch. No weak points. Food was superior. Our server was so-so, not the friendliest sort, but got the job done. Beutiful location.Special Features: