2920 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.memphiscafe.com/
- Phone: 7144327685x
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 8am- 3:00pm; Breakfast: Daily 8am-11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Diego Velasco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Already acclaimed for its artful twists on traditional Southern fare, the Memphis Group's three Southern California restaurants, Memphis Catering & Events aims to bring the unique Memphis experience to events throughout Southern California.
As a full-service catering and events service, Memphis Catering & Events consistently provides the highest level of service and quality to Southern California's most discerning catering clients. From start to finish, Memphis Catering & Events professional staff provides the casually elegant service the Memphis restaurants are known for.
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
- GREAT FOOD - Bad timing5starsDined on 9/14/2014The food was amazing, the staff super friendly, really comfortable place. Get the grits if you are a fan! Great place Except for the HEAT which was completely out of everyone's control. Best time to go to Memphis is anytime it is not 95 degrees, there is just not enough breeze on the patio and the AC can not keep up with the heat. BUT honestly how often is it 95 degrees in Costa Mesa? Final word - The food is fantastic and the staff very nice - worth the trip!Special Features:
- Love!HrgiffDined on 8/30/2014Amazing brunch, excellent cocktail menu, always a fantastic timeSpecial Features:
- Great find in Orange CountyOCFoodieDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I visited for our Anniversery. We wanted to explore and try something new and different. We chose Memphis Cafe and we were please with our experience. We will recommend to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that fried chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Small, casual, energetic, inside, outside, great corn bread, good bar, excellent comfort food desserts…we'll be back
- We are happy regulars now.CarlosVIPDined on 8/22/2014We missed the last couple of weeks. It was good to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCalituckyDined on 8/20/2014Came during CM Restaurant Week. The staff lacked confidence and resulted in seeming unknowledgeable. The food: Gumbo- While it was rich, it was delicious. Perfect amount of rice to balance out the richness and the shrimp were perfectly cooked. Muffaletta- Hubby said it was a "symphony of cured meats". He did get bored with it and said it was kind of dry. The Cobra sandwich (friend chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, ranch) - Executed poorly. Bacon was under cooked, chicken was chewy with actual slimy bits. The fry on the chicken tasted dirty, like they hadn't changed the oil in too long. Bananas Foster- underwhelming. Seemingly mass produced in a big pan, cut to serve. Parts were moist and delicious, parts were dry and unappetizing.
- Chris HansenChrissy59Dined on 8/15/2014We've been here a few times - great every time. Food is awesome and great little gem. Tables are a bit small and it's a bit crowded, but worth it for food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy,long wait despite reservationluvbrunchDined on 8/10/2014Location was perfect for our Sunday brunch for family members flying out that day, but we were disappointed that our reservation didn't seem to make any difference to our seating time. Once seated outside we had to wait longer than expected for menus and service. The patio is still a noisy location, and it was crowded. Food was fine but nothing to rave about. We were disappointed, to say the least!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotcluelessinOrangeCountyDined on 8/9/2014Everybody was friendly and the menu is always interesting. We had the cat fish, chicken and brisket and it was all good. The cocktails are always generous. Where else can you have a nice dinner for 4, with drinks, for under $100 in central Orange County. A nice little gem.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great As AlwayswannabefoodieDined on 8/8/2014Been eating here for years and have never been disappointed. Great food and an amazing Perfect Manhattan or two....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoulfoodloversSoulfoodloversDined on 8/8/2014Service, ambiance was good. The food, however, was disappointing as it lacked flavor (particularly the catfish and chicken). Both dishes were deep fried, but REALLY lacked taste/seasoning. Note -- if customers are going to consciously make the "unhealthy" choice of fried food, they want to be rewarded with a high level culinary experience. Also, the gumbo had good flavor but seemed lukewarm instead of hot. Suggest that the owners visit a few authentic southern cuisine restaurants and taste the flavors that make the food stand out and keep people coming back. Other than the food, the restaurant has a good theme and a lot of potential.
- Great experiencermanakaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our first time experience was outstanding! Great drinks and excellent food. The chili grits should not be missed!Special Features:
- Incredibly patient wait staffLezhaveadateDined on 8/3/2014We came to meet a few friends for brunch, and our friends were 45 minutes late. No one rushed us or made us feel bad that our friends were late and that we were keeping a table. The service was wonderful, our coffee cups were never empty. The music was loud, but it wasn't so loud that we couldn't have a conversation, plus the music was good, classics. I had the French toast and a side of applewood smoked bacon which was very good. It had caramelized apples on top and was filling and delicious. Everyone else in my group got a breakfast burrito which they thoroughly enjoyed. Overall a great experience and we would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lagunatic says Memphis RulesLagunaFriendsVIPDined on 8/2/2014I understand that in Orange County rent cost dictates what many restaurants have to charge. But rent cost has little bearing on whether or not a menu is clever & delicious, whether the servers are smart & happy, whether a Happy Hour is available 7 days a week, or whether the "decor" is comfy & cool or gag-me pretentious. My husband & I LOVE Memphis. Can you tell?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dull lifeless foodFoodmeDined on 8/1/2014Have been to Memphis on many occasions, but this was the first time we were ever disappointed with the food quality. Cold over steamed greens, with (fried chicken which was excellent). Brought friends to celebrate a birthday for my husband. My ribeye was prepared perfectly, but was warm at one end, cold on the other. Tge cornbread was dry, and we were so looking forward to another delicious meal. Don't think we will be visiting again to done, but for your fantastic mint julep we will be back.
- music blaring, service very poorcabrioletgalVIPDined on 7/30/2014I would not return although I liked the food choices - too many things I didn't like. We had to leave & go somewhere else because the noise level was so loud. I won't be returning.Special Features:
- AcceptableValueMindedVIPDined on 7/11/2014I can't say this was fabulous but, it appears to have a great "neighborhood" appeal. It's a small restaurant. I probably should have tried their fried chicken but, they don't serve it with dark meat. I had the sea bass special which was a bit overcooked. Could have had a bit more flavor too. Service was great!Special Features:
- We took friends and they loved it.CarlosVIPDined on 7/5/2014We took old family friends to Memphis and they really enjoyed it. It is good fun introducing chums to your favorite eatery. It is best when they love it. Thanks Memphis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy breakfastjburkiVIPDined on 6/21/2014I've had dinner and now breakfast at Memphis. The pulled pork breakfast burrito was just amazing. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParkingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014Parking is a problem for this place, which is why I only go there every other year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumShannieDDined on 6/14/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner. Good food, great server. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surprise!MarathonMomDined on 6/14/2014Tiny restaurant - lucky for us we had an early reservation. We contemplated leavingIn one word: AMAZING. We had a couple small plate appetizers for the table (6 of us): Duck quesadillas, mussels and clams. Great flavors! One diner required gluten-free - and the chef accomodated perfectly. My husband is still raving about the bison burger. Rib-eyes, Jumbalaya, and BBQ ribs - all notable. And the desserts - yummy! The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!!!lizyapVIPDined on 6/7/2014I'm originally from the South and really miss the Southern style food! This place actually has BETTER food than any restaurant I've been to in the South! Had their catfish this weekend and it was unbelievably good - crispy cornbread crust on the huge moist catfish filet - rock-star collard greens! I'll be back again SOON!Special Features:
- The following 227 reviews are from the Memphis Cafe reviews archive.
- Great serviceAHS60Dined on 5/31/2014We have not been to Memphis for years -- it was our anniversary, and we had our first date there 16 years prior, so decided for fun to go back. We are so glad we did! The service was great, yummy food, and delicious cocktails. When we shared about our first date, the staff made us feel very special. We will definitely not wait so long between visits in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis dinnerPennygwennyDined on 5/24/2014My sister was in from out of town so I made a reservation at Memphis, a favorite local restaurant. I made the reservation through Open Table but when we arrived on Sat. March 25, 2014 at 6:30pm, the restaurant did not have our reservation. The ladies at the front assured us there wasn't a problem though and we were seated immediately. They did say this had happened before with Open Table. I had a confirmation number but they had no way to look it up. The service was great and the food delicious and well priced.Special Features:
- Memphis LovefoodfriendDined on 5/11/2014Frequent visitor to Memphis. Surprised I could get a last minute brunch reservation on Mother's Day. Even though the restaurant was packed, the food and service were as good as ever. The staff never fails to make me feel welcome. I brought a friend for his second visit. They remembered us and made him feel like a regular. I love the crab cakes and duck quesadillas. I tried their eggs benedict for the first time, and was very impressed. I always try to sample something new, and have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Trying something newBuffyMor77Dined on 5/5/2014Looking for a spot that was open for breakfast and came across Memphis. So glad I did! I had the crawfish omelet (never had crawfish before) and it was amazing! The staff was friendly and gave excellent suggestions. The restaurant was very clean and had a fun retro vibe. I will be going back to check out lunch, dinner and maybe just a drink at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysCarlosVIPDined on 4/26/2014We are regulars and we keep coming back. Thanks Gina for serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch experience!AnnieFreshDined on 4/20/2014Our Easter brunch experience was amazing! Despite it being packed, we had seriously some of the best experience we have ever received. My chicken and waffles were so dang good, and my husband's crawfish omelette was perfectly cooked. Constant friendly and fun service means we will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Food was deliciousHolly1082Dined on 4/20/2014I am a big fan of this place, the food is always very tasty. I think that because it was Easter they were very very busy. One of our favorite things here is their coffee usually fresh and hot this time not so much but other than that I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique OfferingsCDMdinersVIPDined on 4/19/2014This wonderful OC gem never disappoints. The dinner and appetizer offerings are excellent, the service is quick and professional, and the wine list is also different but tasty. They only charge $10 corkage if you wish with no corkage with dinner entree purchase during some days. Suggest getting reservations as many locals know this place and frequent often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Take on Southern FoodBigEddyDined on 4/18/2014As a former Memphis resident, I was impressed. Modern takes on Southern classics. We ordered four different dishes and loved all of them. Service was very friendly. They easily accommodated a late change in our reservations. Drinks were good. The only drawback was the chocolate cake -- skip that (very dry and not very chocolate-y). We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Casual, Affordable, and UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014My husband and I dined for lunch on a Saturday. We wanted somewhere casual and affordable but unique. We enjoyed our meal and drinks! It's small and cozy so definitely not for a romantic meal but suited our needs perfectly.Special Features:
- Never DisappointingWhatsWithRickDined on 4/7/2014Just call it home cooking with Louisiana flair. They feature a rock solid menu of great good food in a casual and funky atmosphere. The meatloaf is piled on fresh vegies with mashed potatoes with gravy and all is cooked to perfection with just a hint of heat in the after taste. Mouthwatering and beer worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought it was a dive bar4eatsDined on 4/5/2014I have lived in the neighborhood forever and always thought The Memphis was a dive bar. Was I wrong! Excellent food. I will definitely go back. There was a lot on the menu that i would love to try. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funCarlosVIPDined on 4/4/2014My family and I love going to Memphis. It has become the Friday go-to place,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother with a reservationNikkithyDined on 4/2/2014I always love Memphis but I made a reservation for lunch for my group of 9 and we still had to wait 15 minutes for a table to open up. Defeated the whole purpose of making a reservation and we were trying to get in and out faster since we were on our lunch break on a Wednesday afternoon. They offered for us to sit at two different tables so that we could get seated faster and they seemed irritated when I declined. Service was mediocre but the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but not too goodieeatingout4funDined on 3/28/2014This place has been around a long time and really looks it. The food is good and the prices low but it's too noisy and tables are crowded together. It's a place for a young and tolerant group, but not a place to "dine."Special Features:
- Ladies monthly night outMillieDined on 3/24/2014The food and the service was top drawer. The restaurant is small, but I liked that. A big plus for me was that it is located next to the lab - a fun spot to shop for very hip unusual items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- down home cookingscrapbookcathleenVIPDined on 3/9/2014I loved going in and finding fried okra, BBQ, and other Southern favourites peering out from the menu at me. My friends did too! O had their bison burger, protein style, and it was just right, served with sweet potato fries (a little overdone for my taste). We would definitely return and give it another try.