2920 Bristol Street
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.memphiscafe.com/
- Phone: (714) 432-7685
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 8am- 3:00pm; Breakfast: Daily 8am-11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Diego Velasco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Already acclaimed for its artful twists on traditional Southern fare, the Memphis Group's three Southern California restaurants, Memphis Catering & Events aims to bring the unique Memphis experience to events throughout Southern California.
As a full-service catering and events service, Memphis Catering & Events consistently provides the highest level of service and quality to Southern California's most discerning catering clients. From start to finish, Memphis Catering & Events professional staff provides the casually elegant service the Memphis restaurants are known for.
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
- A late night gemLovefest13VIPDined on 11/20/2014It is a great hang out spot..unless you get a waitress who exudes arrogance and totally dislike for her job and social interaction (short, on the heavy side, green colored tats all over). She served us several times and on the most recent visit, we finally asked for a different server who was pleasant and accomodating. We thought may be she had a bad night but then on repeated occasions, she gave us the same condescending attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis Soul right here in OCOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2014I have been driving by Memphis Cafe for a number of years. This restaurant sits back off the main road and I assumed was more of a bar scene for hipsters than a good southern themed restaurant. Indeed, when you first walk in the curtained entry you are greeted by a full bar. I was surprised by how good the food actually was. My first experience was breakfast. I ordered Eggs Benedict, which was great. My next visit was for dinner. The table share the crab cakes and steamed mussels and clams – wonderful. Our entrees were delivered hot and food was soulful and wonderful. The wait staff are friendly too. I would encourage anyone looking for a “hipster” dining experience or just some good southern fare to give Memphis Café a try.Special Features:
- rt formanb4theshowDined on 11/9/2014Simply the best. Our Friday night dinner was so great that we went back for Sunday morning brunch and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had no idea!mistyDined on 11/8/2014I have always thought of Memphis at more of a bar than a legit restaurant. But I was wrong! Absolutely delish! My husband and I shared the Gumbo Cheese Fries (an amazing twist on ordinary chili cheese fries), the Hush Puppies (fried cornbread awesomeness), and the Fried Chicken (Hands down the best fried chicken I have had in a while). The food was wonderful and the service was really good. The only issue was it seemed that our server might have had a bad day and wasn't feeling overly friendly. Great Southern, Soul, and comfort food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner good, Avoid for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I have enjoyed dinner here many times. Recently had a business lunch. Service was extremely slow and poor, high noise level, portions were small. Not happy with duck quesadilla at all. Will not ever have lunch here again.
- HIT & MISSOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014The restaurant was good for a change, but it was not what I would expect for a Soul food place. The greens were undercooked, but the catfish was GREAT! The black-eyed peas were good too, but I had to hunt for them among the rice. I would not go back, BUT some may really like this if they are not really familiar with good soul food. It was a nice try though! People should try it and make their own decision about it!
- MemphisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/7/2014Memphis was great as always! I have been to the restaurant on several occasions. I was pleased that when I asked if they did anything for birthdays.. they said no but they would gladly scrounge up a candle for me. They put the candle in a delicious cake and it was a nice way to celebrate my friend's birthday! The meatloaf was also delicious and it was half price for a Tuesday! BONUS. :) I definitely recommend this place to others. It is a great place to grab a unique meal; a nice change from the chain restaurants.Special Features:
- Great food!AdmdavidDined on 10/5/2014This place is always excellent. The menu has just about anything one could ask for and it's always top notch quality and simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't hav reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Everything was good and the bartender was very nice but the 6 of us had to eat at the bar because they didn't have the reservation we made using open tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis 9/30/14foodfriendDined on 9/30/2014I visit this restaurant frequently as it is quite close to my home. The food as always was superb. My ribeye was perfectly rare as requested. The potato gorgonzola gratin was firm, but not undercooked. My companion had the always excellent soul burger with the delicious macaroni and cheese. His burger was perfectly medium rare as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD - Bad timing5starsDined on 9/14/2014The food was amazing, the staff super friendly, really comfortable place. Get the grits if you are a fan! Great place Except for the HEAT which was completely out of everyone's control. Best time to go to Memphis is anytime it is not 95 degrees, there is just not enough breeze on the patio and the AC can not keep up with the heat. BUT honestly how often is it 95 degrees in Costa Mesa? Final word - The food is fantastic and the staff very nice - worth the trip!Special Features:
- Love!HrgiffDined on 8/30/2014Amazing brunch, excellent cocktail menu, always a fantastic timeSpecial Features:
- Great find in Orange CountyOCFoodieDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I visited for our Anniversery. We wanted to explore and try something new and different. We chose Memphis Cafe and we were please with our experience. We will recommend to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love that fried chickenJamonJoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Small, casual, energetic, inside, outside, great corn bread, good bar, excellent comfort food desserts…we'll be back
- We are happy regulars now.CarlosVIPDined on 8/22/2014We missed the last couple of weeks. It was good to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCalituckyDined on 8/20/2014Came during CM Restaurant Week. The staff lacked confidence and resulted in seeming unknowledgeable. The food: Gumbo- While it was rich, it was delicious. Perfect amount of rice to balance out the richness and the shrimp were perfectly cooked. Muffaletta- Hubby said it was a "symphony of cured meats". He did get bored with it and said it was kind of dry. The Cobra sandwich (friend chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, ranch) - Executed poorly. Bacon was under cooked, chicken was chewy with actual slimy bits. The fry on the chicken tasted dirty, like they hadn't changed the oil in too long. Bananas Foster- underwhelming. Seemingly mass produced in a big pan, cut to serve. Parts were moist and delicious, parts were dry and unappetizing.
- Chris HansenChrissy59Dined on 8/15/2014We've been here a few times - great every time. Food is awesome and great little gem. Tables are a bit small and it's a bit crowded, but worth it for food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy,long wait despite reservationluvbrunchDined on 8/10/2014Location was perfect for our Sunday brunch for family members flying out that day, but we were disappointed that our reservation didn't seem to make any difference to our seating time. Once seated outside we had to wait longer than expected for menus and service. The patio is still a noisy location, and it was crowded. Food was fine but nothing to rave about. We were disappointed, to say the least!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local spotcluelessinOrangeCountyDined on 8/9/2014Everybody was friendly and the menu is always interesting. We had the cat fish, chicken and brisket and it was all good. The cocktails are always generous. Where else can you have a nice dinner for 4, with drinks, for under $100 in central Orange County. A nice little gem.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great As AlwayswannabefoodieDined on 8/8/2014Been eating here for years and have never been disappointed. Great food and an amazing Perfect Manhattan or two....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoulfoodloversSoulfoodloversDined on 8/8/2014Service, ambiance was good. The food, however, was disappointing as it lacked flavor (particularly the catfish and chicken). Both dishes were deep fried, but REALLY lacked taste/seasoning. Note -- if customers are going to consciously make the "unhealthy" choice of fried food, they want to be rewarded with a high level culinary experience. Also, the gumbo had good flavor but seemed lukewarm instead of hot. Suggest that the owners visit a few authentic southern cuisine restaurants and taste the flavors that make the food stand out and keep people coming back. Other than the food, the restaurant has a good theme and a lot of potential.
- Great experiencermanakaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our first time experience was outstanding! Great drinks and excellent food. The chili grits should not be missed!Special Features:
- Incredibly patient wait staffLezhaveadateDined on 8/3/2014We came to meet a few friends for brunch, and our friends were 45 minutes late. No one rushed us or made us feel bad that our friends were late and that we were keeping a table. The service was wonderful, our coffee cups were never empty. The music was loud, but it wasn't so loud that we couldn't have a conversation, plus the music was good, classics. I had the French toast and a side of applewood smoked bacon which was very good. It had caramelized apples on top and was filling and delicious. Everyone else in my group got a breakfast burrito which they thoroughly enjoyed. Overall a great experience and we would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lagunatic says Memphis RulesLagunaFriendsVIPDined on 8/2/2014I understand that in Orange County rent cost dictates what many restaurants have to charge. But rent cost has little bearing on whether or not a menu is clever & delicious, whether the servers are smart & happy, whether a Happy Hour is available 7 days a week, or whether the "decor" is comfy & cool or gag-me pretentious. My husband & I LOVE Memphis. Can you tell?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dull lifeless foodFoodmeDined on 8/1/2014Have been to Memphis on many occasions, but this was the first time we were ever disappointed with the food quality. Cold over steamed greens, with (fried chicken which was excellent). Brought friends to celebrate a birthday for my husband. My ribeye was prepared perfectly, but was warm at one end, cold on the other. Tge cornbread was dry, and we were so looking forward to another delicious meal. Don't think we will be visiting again to done, but for your fantastic mint julep we will be back.
- music blaring, service very poorcabrioletgalVIPDined on 7/30/2014I would not return although I liked the food choices - too many things I didn't like. We had to leave & go somewhere else because the noise level was so loud. I won't be returning.Special Features:
- The following 234 reviews are from the Memphis Cafe reviews archive.
- AcceptableValueMindedVIPDined on 7/11/2014I can't say this was fabulous but, it appears to have a great "neighborhood" appeal. It's a small restaurant. I probably should have tried their fried chicken but, they don't serve it with dark meat. I had the sea bass special which was a bit overcooked. Could have had a bit more flavor too. Service was great!Special Features:
- We took friends and they loved it.CarlosVIPDined on 7/5/2014We took old family friends to Memphis and they really enjoyed it. It is good fun introducing chums to your favorite eatery. It is best when they love it. Thanks Memphis!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy breakfastjburkiVIPDined on 6/21/2014I've had dinner and now breakfast at Memphis. The pulled pork breakfast burrito was just amazing. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParkingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/20/2014Parking is a problem for this place, which is why I only go there every other year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumShannieDDined on 6/14/2014Went here for our anniversary dinner. Good food, great server. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surprise!MarathonMomDined on 6/14/2014Tiny restaurant - lucky for us we had an early reservation. We contemplated leavingIn one word: AMAZING. We had a couple small plate appetizers for the table (6 of us): Duck quesadillas, mussels and clams. Great flavors! One diner required gluten-free - and the chef accomodated perfectly. My husband is still raving about the bison burger. Rib-eyes, Jumbalaya, and BBQ ribs - all notable. And the desserts - yummy! The service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!!!lizyapVIPDined on 6/7/2014I'm originally from the South and really miss the Southern style food! This place actually has BETTER food than any restaurant I've been to in the South! Had their catfish this weekend and it was unbelievably good - crispy cornbread crust on the huge moist catfish filet - rock-star collard greens! I'll be back again SOON!Special Features:
- Great serviceAHS60Dined on 5/31/2014We have not been to Memphis for years -- it was our anniversary, and we had our first date there 16 years prior, so decided for fun to go back. We are so glad we did! The service was great, yummy food, and delicious cocktails. When we shared about our first date, the staff made us feel very special. We will definitely not wait so long between visits in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis dinnerPennygwennyDined on 5/24/2014My sister was in from out of town so I made a reservation at Memphis, a favorite local restaurant. I made the reservation through Open Table but when we arrived on Sat. March 25, 2014 at 6:30pm, the restaurant did not have our reservation. The ladies at the front assured us there wasn't a problem though and we were seated immediately. They did say this had happened before with Open Table. I had a confirmation number but they had no way to look it up. The service was great and the food delicious and well priced.Special Features:
- Memphis LovefoodfriendDined on 5/11/2014Frequent visitor to Memphis. Surprised I could get a last minute brunch reservation on Mother's Day. Even though the restaurant was packed, the food and service were as good as ever. The staff never fails to make me feel welcome. I brought a friend for his second visit. They remembered us and made him feel like a regular. I love the crab cakes and duck quesadillas. I tried their eggs benedict for the first time, and was very impressed. I always try to sample something new, and have yet to be disappointed.Special Features:
- Trying something newBuffyMor77Dined on 5/5/2014Looking for a spot that was open for breakfast and came across Memphis. So glad I did! I had the crawfish omelet (never had crawfish before) and it was amazing! The staff was friendly and gave excellent suggestions. The restaurant was very clean and had a fun retro vibe. I will be going back to check out lunch, dinner and maybe just a drink at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysCarlosVIPDined on 4/26/2014We are regulars and we keep coming back. Thanks Gina for serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch experience!AnnieFreshDined on 4/20/2014Our Easter brunch experience was amazing! Despite it being packed, we had seriously some of the best experience we have ever received. My chicken and waffles were so dang good, and my husband's crawfish omelette was perfectly cooked. Constant friendly and fun service means we will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Food was deliciousHolly1082Dined on 4/20/2014I am a big fan of this place, the food is always very tasty. I think that because it was Easter they were very very busy. One of our favorite things here is their coffee usually fresh and hot this time not so much but other than that I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.