320 S 23rd Street
Arlington, VA 22202Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.memphisque.com/
- Phone: 5719702727
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 10:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: With a warm, welcoming atmosphere and superb service, Memphis Barbeque can make your next special occasion one to remember. Let your guests enjoy our mouth watering food, while we take care of everything.
- Private Party Contact: Allen Ware 5719702727
A word from Memphis Barbeque
'The Memphis Barbeque Restaurant features meats that are slow cooked over hickory wood from two smokers and finished with a selection of tomato and vinegar based sauces. Menu highlights include Famous Memphis Style Spare Ribs, Pulled Pork Shoulder, Brisket Enchiladas, Bar-B-Q North Atlantic Salmon, Spicy Bar-B-Q shrimp and the Grilled Hickory Fish of the Day. The famous Memphis Style Spare Ribs are prepped either “wet” and basted with Memphis original Bar-B-Q sauce or “dry” and prepared with a special sauce and dusted with a proprietary rub. Each entrée is served with the choice of two sides and options include Buttermilk Battered Onion Rings, Baked Four-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese, Barbeque Baked Beans and Creamy Coleslaw...The restaurant has a casual atmosphere and features a spacious dining room of 170 seats, as well as 54 seats at the bar/lounge. During warm weather, an extensive outdoor patio can also accommodate 48 guests.' - About.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Memphis Barbeque reviews from OpenTable diners
- Out of Food?!?!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012My boyfriend and I came here for new years last year and really enjoyed the food so we decided to return again for this new year. What a mistake!! We are arrived to a fairly empty resturant, and once we were seated the waitress started off by telling us what food they didn't have. They didn't have half of their menu. It was extremely disappointing. Honestly I'd wish they had told us that they didn't have half of their menu before they seated us because I would have gone some where else.
- Nice spot for BBQ in CrystalSAMMYDined on 12/28/2012Nice spot for BBQ in Crystal City. The ribs were very good and the cole slaw fresh and flavorful. The onion rings were good. Very good and friendly service. Will return again.Special Features:
- Everything was very good,mikeDined on 12/26/2012Everything was very good, and my only complaint was that we brought 4 children for a total of 6 and they put on a mandatory tip. I understand the reasoning but a mandatory tip of 20% is high. The server was excellent and I would have left that at least but if the server had been terrible....Special Features:
- First time here. Would definitelyFoodie46Dined on 12/14/2012First time here. Would definitely go again. Catfish fingers were amazing as were the hushpuppies.Special Features:
- Food was good, nothing special.unappreciatedVIPDined on 11/17/2012Food was good, nothing special. Our server was very good!
- Overall the food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2012Overall the food was good. One side came out cold and they replaced it with a warm one. All of the food came out warm, not hot. The service was quick and friendly. One dessert item was still on the menu but no longer carried at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great service and the bestjgoodman888VIPDined on 9/24/2012Great service and the best baby back ribs since I was in Memphis. Better than Red Hot & Blue and as good if not better than King Street.
- Memphis BBQ strums some good notesTravelingPalateVIPDined on 9/14/2012Tried the Bar-B-Q and More Sampler. The brisket enchiladas, catfish fingers, Cajun chicken tenders and onion rings quite good but the pulled pork egg rolls while unique, the pork and coleslaw combo that didn't work for us. The beef brisket with heirloom greens was quite good. We are KC BBQ fans but found Memphis Style a nice change of pace. The ambiance was nice, quieter than most places and service was good.
- I went at an off peak timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2012I went at an off peak time and I think they were a little short handed. I have been there before and the server was able to be more attentive. However, they quickly recognized and tried to make up for the lapses which makes all the difference. They made sure we knew that customer satisfaction counts.Special Features:
- First visit, but surely notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012First visit, but surely not the last. Food was good and atmosphere even better....Special Features:
- We thought all of the MemphisdleaseDined on 8/17/2012We thought all of the Memphis Barbeques had closed up. I guess not. We'd always liked Memphis Barbeque and so we set up an office meeting at the branch in Crystal City. Our waitress was supurb and just what we needed for a mid-day pick-me-up in good attitude. She was funny, got our jokes, and would have been a "gotta go back" excuse all in herself. The food is barbeque and everyone enjoyed their meals. Good barbeque, but you need to like the tomato-based barbeque sauce (no East Carolina vinegar-based sauce) and no options if you want different barbeque sauce styles. If you're like me and like a habanero and vinegar suace, you are out of luck. With that said, the food was good even naked!Special Features:
- We really appreciated theVonnVIPDined on 7/1/2012We really appreciated the excellent service. We had t hree children in the group that loved the Mac and cheese. Great dinner for all.Special Features:
- As other reviewers indicated,OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/26/2012As other reviewers indicated, the hushpuppies are delicious, and their Memphis pulled pork BBQ sandwich (w/ slaw on top) was the BEST BBQ sandwich I have EVER EATEN. Gotta go!
- Our waitress was horrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2012Our waitress was horrible. Did not get order right. Had to repeat ourselves on every item. Told us there was no childrens menu...really? Very in attentive. Forgot drink orders. Took 35 minutes to get two beers. They were out of mashed potatoes and sweet potato fries...really?
- We loved the hush puppies.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012We loved the hush puppies. That was about it. We ordered for take out and they forgot our sides. We've been offered comped meal and two sides next time...but we're not sure we want a next time.
- Okay Food... a bit overpriced for QOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2012Food was okay... Unfortunately it feels as if you are paying for the location not the food, as you could get the same if not better at several much more affordable BBQ restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Great service but the ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/8/2012Great service but the ribs were severely over cooked and jerky like.
- Great food and service. OurCeeCeeDCDined on 3/17/2012Great food and service. Our server, Ronald was the best!Special Features:
- Good hushpuppies and bread.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/10/2012Good hushpuppies and bread. Great sauce and pulled pork! Tasty brisket. Be careful of the sweet tea - it's sweet alright (but if you're a native, it's probably perfect for you!)Special Features:
- If you like Memphis StyleCoachigdonDined on 3/1/2012If you like Memphis Style ribs, this is the place to go. They were top notch. My friend made the mistake of ordering a glass of red wine. I recommend you don't make the same mistake.
- Very nice atmosphere and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Very nice atmosphere and great service. Some of the tables are close together, would like a bit more space between them.Special Features:
- The food was really good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/10/2012The food was really good. And service wasn't bad though a little slow, and there seemed to be a little confusion with all the food and sides and making sure we got everything, but in the end we did. I am rather surprised that a 20% gratuity is added. We had a party of 6, so I can understand policy to add gratuity, but 20% ?!?! What if the service hadn't been good. I'm surprised that the restaurant policy is to add such a high gratuity. I personally would have tipped 20% or slightly more, but the fact that it was already predetermined made me a little resentful. And I'm a server at a restaurant so I can understand wanting higher tips, but it kind of rubs me the wrong way when you are forcing 20%, regardless of service.
- Load Up on the Hush PuppieskgindcVIPDined on 2/8/2012I found the sauce to be cloyingly sweet, though the hush puppies were delicious.
- Brisket was good. Ribs wereBethVIPDined on 2/3/2012Brisket was good. Ribs were better than Hill Country downtown. Great Mac-n-cheese. Service was deplorable.
- Our Server, Brandi, blessFLWineGuyVIPDined on 1/29/2012Our Server, Brandi, bless her heart was very attentive, but needs more training on taking orders and what is offered on the menu. I know that Brunch is new for this restaurant, but after meeting Yolanda and her crew at the Beer/Wine 1K walk the week earlier, we decided to give the Brunch a try. We have had thier B-B-Que for lunch and its quite tasty. The Brunch menu still needs to have the kniks worked out of it. My omelet was cooked perfectly, but the hashbrowns were a bit salty. Their version of eggs benedict w/ crab cakes was nice twist, but the english muffins were not toasted at all. The manager, Chris, stopped by to apologize and offer another round of mimosa's after we sent that item back. The rest of our party who order B-B-QueSpecial Features:
- We had a craving for BBQ sowildchefVIPDined on 1/23/2012We had a craving for BBQ so Memphis sounded right. We started with giant onion rings and the seafood gumbo both were excellent. We then both had the combo plates of spare ribs and brisket and the Spare ribs and pulled pork. The ribs were disappointing as they were a half rack which were very small from the ends and consisted of more cartlidge than rib. On the other side of the plate the brisket and pulled pork was excellent as was the sides of beans, cole slaw and cornSpecial Features:
- The brisket was very dry.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/15/2012The brisket was very dry. The BBQ sauce was too sweet. The ribs were OK, but not great. The steak was moist and juicy, but very bland and the BBQ sauce was too sweet for the steak. Too much BBQ sauce on the Nachos drowned out the rest of the dish. I think this place is still a work in progress. I may try them again in a year if they are still around. The Margarita @ 9.00 a pop was awful and I never got the salted glass that I requested.
- A disappointing dinner experienceDaveDined on 1/7/2012My friends and I dined on a Saturday night - they were out of prime rib and macaroni and cheese. In addition, at the bar, the bartender advised the cheapest rail vodka was Absolut vodka at $9, however later at our table, the waitress advised the rail was Sky at $7.50 - thereby we were overcharged at the bar. And finally, they added a 20% group gratuity to out bill - a little high especially since they were out of the food items and the bartender overcharged at the bar. The positive was that our waitress was excellent.
- Food was lukewarm. Mac andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/2/2012Food was lukewarm. Mac and cheese was on the menu but for whatever reason was not available. Not kid friendly. No kids menu. Very dark atmosphere. Overall it was okay. The hush puppies were yummy.
- This is my first review soOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2011This is my first review so it will be short but sweet , the food was so great and the service was even better. Memphis Barbeque score a "10" and I will recommend to all .Special Features:
- We had a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2011We had a great dining experience ar Memphis Barbque. The food was excellent. We ordered the sampler platter for our appetizer, it was a meal! The wait staff were attentive and helped to promote a relaxed dining experience.Special Features:
- Absolutely unacceptable diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/10/2011Absolutely unacceptable dining experience at this two-week-old restaurant. They refused to seat us at a booth, although nine were open, and the server was unresponsive and just outright weird. Each of our three meals was completely incorrect TWICE, food was served cold or without requested sides, and nobody who worked in this new establishment had any clue! Do not waste your time dining here!
- The pull pork was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 12/10/2011The pull pork was very good. Both the baby back and short ribs were overdone and lacked flavor.
- This place is new and clearlySWB1VIPDined on 12/7/2011This place is new and clearly still getting its legs under it. I would wait a few months before going. What works: The food is decent. Not even close to a Memphis bbq joints, but works in a pinch. Hush puppies are SOLID. Also, the staff is very nice. They are trying hard, just not ready for prime time. What doesn't: The floors and tables are oddly very slippery. There are people and dishes sliding all over the place. Its comical and hazardous. There are twelve servers huddled around the kitchen waiting for dishes to come out rather than checking on their tables. The wine was skunked and they don't have vermouth, sweet or dry. Huh? Orders were incorrect and came out five minutes apart. This place needs some time to get its act together.
- I had the Pulled Pork sandwich.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/6/2011I had the Pulled Pork sandwich. It tasted like airport BBQ. They were still working out bugs with the service, but that's to be expected since they just opend. The BBQ was not good though.