201 N Broadway
Santa Ana, CA 92701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Memphis At The Santora
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.memphiscafe.com/
- Phone: 7145641064x
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Diego Velasco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Memphis Catering & Events has artfully produced large scale, outdoor events, weddings, and corporate luncheons as well as intimate, wine-paired dinner parties and backyard barbecues. Chef Diego Velasco will create custom menus utilizing his vast knowledge of world cuisines while sourcing the freshest of locally raised and harvested meat, poultry, seafood and produce.
- Private Party Facilities: The Backroom Gallery and Patio seats up to 32 for dinner or can accommodate cocktail parties of up to 50. Sequestered from the main dining area, the Backroom Gallery provides an intimate setting for meetings, receptions, private dinners, and parties of all types. Or, rent out the entire restaurant for larger functions. Seated dinners, cocktail receptions, birthday parties, wedding receptions.
- Private Party Contact: David Hastie 7145641064x
- Entertainment: Thursday: 8:30pm - 11:30pm: Acoustic Playlist with Todd Oliver. An eclectic mix of originals and favorite covers. Friday: 9:00pm - 2:00am: The Santora Sessions with The Downtown Sound DJ Collective. All vinyl jazz, soul, funk, rock, rare grooves, reggae, punk, post punk, 80s. Saturday: 9:30pm - 2:00am: DJ Adjective spins Tales of the Unexpected. Everything under the sun because you never know what to expect next.
Opened in 2002, Memphis at the Santora blends traditional Southern and contemporary American classics into flavorful renditions of American comfort food. With a larger kitchen than its sister, Memphis Café in Costa Mesa, the restaurant's menu covers a wider range of Southern specialties, including buttermilk fried chicken, and a garlic-marinated and grilled center-cut pork chop. drizzled with a balsamic dried-cherry reduction.
On the registrar of historic landmarks and perhaps the most beautiful edifice in downtown Santa Ana, the 1929 Santora.
- New Years dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013We had a lovely dinner. The crab cake appetizer was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new findsatisfied1Dined on 11/16/2013We were going to a show at the Yost theatre. Parking was easy to get to both within easy walking distance. The food and service were both outstanding. Our sever recommeded cocktails that were very good and something we would not have ordered without her consultation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedMiliDined on 11/13/2013It is maybe because we went for the Dinner with Dave which is a free food event with a local new band playing but It was a shock to the degree I ever could explain... ALL the homeless people of the neighborhood were at that moment in that place and that totally scared my whole company when we walked in.The band was probably ok but the noise level was so high that we all had to walk straight outside if we did not want permanent hearing damage.The guys from the band were also dressed like homeless people which I understand might be normal for musicians but for sure did not make me want to enjoy their performance so there was nothing to keep me in this place at all nor EVER come back again.On a regular day this place is probably good. Bar-ok.Special Features:
- FUN DAYthefoxDined on 10/14/2013had a lovely lunch in downtown Santa Ana at Memphis. I had the chicken salad and my friend had the gumbo and caesar salad; excellent portion size and very good food. It was a holiday so the downtown area was vacant and the weather beautiful so we ate outside. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant that turnstaewanVIPDined on 8/3/2013Nice restaurant that turns into a late night scene. full bar, and dj on the weekends. Also has a great late night happy hour menu. tue-satSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as usual was excellent.NezzerDined on 7/20/2013Food as usual was excellent. Unfortunately. Service from our waitress was indifferent at best, Very unusual for this great restaurant. Waitress slow to respond to requests, not friendly, and food arrived only slightly warm. Waitress never inquired how we liked food, basically dropped it and took off. On the whole food terrific, just not hot,,and waitress made us feel she was doing us a favor. Not ideal for a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday friendly...rezjoe76Dined on 7/12/2013Our group really enjoyed celebrating my friend & I's birthday. The service was excellent, food well-prepared & delicious! I go there regularly for drinks & socializing, as Memphis is a fun spot for meeting up. Don't hesitate to go with your party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memphis at the Santora isRogerTheTravelerVIPDined on 7/7/2013Memphis at the Santora is in an historically-interesting building in downtown Santa Ana, an area being revitalized. The menu bursts with interesting-sounding menu items not found elsewhere. Dining inside with its high-volume music caused us to select the outdoor area. My wife and I were pleased with our dining selections and, as a plus, they make a mean gin martini. It faces 2nd Street, which has been converted into a pedestrian mall. The service staff is pleasant and efficient. The overall experience will cause us to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fathers day dinner30thanniversaryVIPDined on 6/16/2013We were a party of 5 celebrating 2 fathers. Everything was good; food, drinks, friendliness of staff. The service was slow only because they were short handed. We have been here many times and the service was fine. But we were not in a rush and we enjoyed our evening out. The wait people are always friendly and make recommendations. We will be back again.Special Features:
- very cool place, wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/16/2013very cool place, wonderful food and the service is always the best. One of the best restaurants in Santa Ana and their are a lot of them.Special Features:
- great service made up for itChristineDined on 6/16/2013Menu choices were a bit limited for my taste. The great service made up for it. My niece enjoyed the pancakes. I would like to come back for dinner and drinks on another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!kaljonVIPDined on 6/16/2013We went for brunch and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Food and service are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/11/2013Mellow Tuesday night, had great service, great food, and even a movie playing in the background! Memphis truly brings something new and great to the local food scene: authentic and delicious southern fare. Fried okra is to die for (and, no, it isn't "slimy" like people who eat raw fish three times a week often squeal). Very different atmosphere from the Memphis in Costa Mesa, but the food is just as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Hopes...Deflated!NiceDined on 5/26/2013We arrived about 5 mins late for our reservation (well within grace-period) and learned that our table was already given away. Cornbread and butter were not offered to us; we asked after seeing others receive them. When ours arrived, they were dry, crumbly and flavorless. The bread bowl was cracked at the edge; we could have been cut! No one got plates, so we (reluctantly) used the napkins under the utensils! We ordered pancakes, soup, salad, lemonade and water. It took seemingly forever for these items to arrive. The soup tasted off, but the salad and pancakes were delicious. The lemonade tasted like a mix, no good. The seating area was nice and away from the crowd, but the pleasant experiences were few and far between. I won't be back.
- Went to Memphis for SundaysunnypnutDined on 5/26/2013Went to Memphis for Sunday brunch, and it was a very pleasant experience. Our server was on top of everything without having to constantly check in, including keeping our mimosa glasses full. I had a simple, two egg breakfast plate with crispy potato cakes, chicken-apple sausage, and brioche. Everything was cooked wonderfully (I'm very picky about how my eggs are cooked, and these were a perfect over-medium). I also tried some of my husband's food, and it was fantastic as well. He had the pork chop and eggs, served with grits and caramelized apples. The pork chop was delicious, well-seasoned, and not over-cooked. The grits were seriously some of the best I've ever had. I will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing mother's day dinnerSteveODined on 5/12/2013we were looking forward to an evening at memphis for mother's day. arrived at 6:30pm - only 1 other party there, hmm, should have taken it as a sign. food was mediocre at best and service was lacking. we had a lifeless soul burger, average ny steak, and decent buttermilk fried chicken. best selection was the crab cake. ordered ice cream that took 20 minutes to arrive - 2 scoops of ice cream... waitress was friendly when she was around. disappointing mother's day dinner.
- The servers were extremelyShangoolDined on 5/12/2013The servers were extremely friendly and gracious. They allowed us to switch from outside to inside which was deeply appreciated. The manager/head hostess was noticeably busy and hopefully not stressed and I hope had a good Mother's Day as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there for Mother's DayRichardDined on 5/12/2013Went there for Mother's Day Brunch. Food was excellent service was also great. We had been there before for drinks in the main dining room which was sort of loud and hard to have a conversation. This time we ate outside and found it much nicer because it was quiet, If there is anything I could be critical of it was the loudness in the main room, otherwise this is a great place at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mothers day brunch30thanniversaryVIPDined on 5/12/2013We had reservations for 10am and were seated shortly after. The place was busy and had many large groups. Our wait person was attentive and we were not lacking for anything. We both ordered their special: Grits and bbq shrimp. I do not care for grits but the way they make them here is amazing. The dish was delectible. This is our 3rd time here and it has easily become our favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013I love Memphis. They have the best steak. i really enjoyed the atmosphere. The service is a little slow. We had to wave down a server a few times (i hate doing that). the drinks are delicious.Special Features:
- Four of us ate at MemphisReviewerVIPDined on 4/13/2013Four of us ate at Memphis on a Saturday night. Not that busy, but the wait staff was a little haphazard. Never got a water refill, finally had to ask. 3 different servers attended out table to add more confusion. One brought an extra beer and wine we did not order and had to take it back. The pork chops were very good as was the catfish. The ribs were good, just not enough meat on the bones!Special Features:
- There were 3 of us and it30thanniversaryVIPDined on 3/31/2013There were 3 of us and it was Easter Sunday Brunch. It was great from the start. I had the Cobra, a fried chicken burger, and it was wonderful. We also ordered the Sould Burger, and that was amazing, a hamburger w/bbq sauce, chipotle aioli. My husband had one of the specials, a bbq shrimp with grits. The sauce that was used was incredible (we all had a taste) and the grits cooked beautifully. We love this place!Special Features:
- Always a favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/23/2013My favorite restaurant in Santa Ana by far. Love the pulled pork sandwich with sweet potato fries at lunch or the pulled pork sliders in the evening. The best pulled pork I've ever had and I've tasted a lot of pulled pork. Very good veggies and sides. The meatloaf is wonderful. I've tried many different items on the menu and a disappointment is rare. The service is always friendly and the drinks are excellent. Good bar area that is separate if you just want to drink. Good food specials on certain days of the week. I highly recommend Memphis and dine there frequently.Special Features:
- We had a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We had a great experience. The southern ingredients done in a healthful, properly cooked way was great. I was skeptical they could fry a boned and battered chicken breast and serve it crispy and juicy. They nailed it. Great flavors. The greens were fantastic. Meatloaf was the best my wife has had. Catfish was awesome. The service was really good. The server had a great understanding of the food and her suggestions were good. I thought the burger was oversold a bit. My buddy said it was good, but would get something else next time.Special Features:
- The restaurant was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2013The restaurant was a little noisy as part of it was being used for a private party, but the food was very good. The shrimp and grits was wonderful,as was the braised beef on potatoes. The server apologized for the noise of the party. We will be back again!Special Features:
- Oyster Po' boy (OC RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Oyster Po' boy (OC Restaurant week) was good! The slaw? on top was amazing, I would like to know what else you use that in... The cured salmon on pancakes was interesting, but the highlight was the banana pudding. So simple and yet sooo good. The melted caramel, the whipped cream....mmmm.... Seriously though, I would like to know what else you use that coleslaw in! I will be back!Special Features:
- 1st time, but not the last.PlushieboyDined on 3/1/2013My first time here and certainly not my last. I went with my 16 year old son, and we enjoyed the patio seating and excellent service that seems to be standard every night. We had the duck quesadillas and the smoked salmon over blue corn cake appetizers. Both were very flavorful, and the sauces that accompanied them were top notch. The main course was also memorable. Both the short ribs and the chicken were so good that we made sure nothing was left on the plate. And the portions of chicken were huge! Finally dessert (banana pudding) easily fell into the category of top ten food items I have ever eaten. So simple, but all the flavors mixed so well together. I can't get it out of my mind. Thank you for a great experience.Special Features:
- Great Southern Food and HospitalityBeach101VIPDined on 2/22/2013Very nice Southern food with friendly service. Great for lunch when it's not too crowded and the food is the same. Memphis has a casual, relaxed atmosphere that anyone can enjoy. Try it. You'll like it. The gumbo, pulled pork, Po' boys and andouille sausage sandwiches are a great, hearty and satisfying lunch or dinner. I meet friends here once a month for lunch and we love it and would recommend it to you.Special Features:
- Normally i write long reviews,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Normally i write long reviews, but for Memphis, there is no need: Good service (but still nicely casual) that brings you fantastic food. Go there, leave happy. Repeat whenever gumbo cravings strike.Special Features:
- Proceed with Caution...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/12/2013We arrived before(?) the dinner rush, on a Saturday night. Restaurant was basically empty and they sat us in the very back next to the door that led to the outdoor patio and back cleaning room. Why -- when there were several open tables elsewhere? While they gave us the option to move, it seemed like a hassle. Service was super, super slow even though there were not many other customers. Servers were busy chatting over by the kitchen -- too busy to notice we wanted to order our food or get our check! While server was kind and attentive, at times, she really wasn't interested in doing her job. (too busy talking with other servers!) How does this place stay in business???
- Never a dissapointment. IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013Never a dissapointment. Incredible staff, plesant atmosphere and of course great food. I have not tried all of the selectins on the menu yet, but I am working on it.Special Features:
- This is the third time thatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/30/2012This is the third time that we have visited this restaurant. While the food is very good, something still seems to be lacking. Perhaps the side salad which accompanies a sandwich lacks content. All it has is leafy lettuce. There is much competition nearby in the center and we think that Great Maple will need to improve if it is to survive. We do not plan on a return visit; just no value there.
- Food was good. I didn't lovecaegDined on 11/30/2012Food was good. I didn't love the corn chowder soup but the pulled port quesidilla make up for everything!! It was amazing. The waiter was friendly and attentive. I would recommend it as a place to try if you are in the neighborhood!!!Special Features:
- Server made a mistake aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012Server made a mistake about contents of a salad but she apologized and made good efforts to make it right. I love this place, especially on the first Saturday of the month (Santa Ana Art Walk).Special Features:
- No veggie mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2012They do not respect or offer a vegetarian meal we will never go back. 2 of the six people are vegetarian and had to order alla cart side dishes. If they expet to have 2 or more parties they should expand their menue. Most places offer a veggie burgerSpecial Features:
- My group needed to eat outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2012My group needed to eat outside because The Captain (of Captain and Tenile) was spinning vinyl at Sunday Brunch, and it was loud. Good tunes, though. The food was enjoyed by all.Special Features:
- We had a delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012We had a delicious dinner of: Fried Chicken, Rib-Eye Special, Meatloaf, Jambalaya (I think)... everything, without exception, was fantastic! Our server, Paula, was helpful, fun, and offered honest opinions about our choices. Excellent service!! Thanks for the nice evening out.Special Features:
- One of Santa Ana's Best for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2012Downtown Santa Ana? Memphis ought to be near the top of your list of places worth visiting for lunch.Special Features:
- Little disorganizedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/6/2012Fun evening with good friends. Waited 30 min to be seated even with reservations. Food was goof.Special Features:
- Memphis at the Santora hasScottDinesDined on 9/22/2012Memphis at the Santora has everything going for it: great location, cool decor, nice wait staff. But for me it came down to the food which was not executed well. Beet salad which was overloaded with arugula, brussel sprouts which were slightly raw and a bison burger which was dry and "deep" favored. All in all, I enjoyed people watching in the bar - the most successful part of my evening out.Special Features: