200 W Ramon Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://inglesideinn.com/melvyns_restaurant.html
- Phone: (760) 325-2323
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Juan Castaneda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us for nightly entertainment in our Piano Bar and dancing in our Casa Blanca Lounge from 8pm. On Sundays join us from 3.30pm till 7.30pm for our weekly Jam session.
- Special Events: Perfect setting for weddings, meetings or private parties. Custom menus are available for any budget.
A word from Melvyn's Restaurant
Melvyn's Restaurant was named "One of Ten Best" by the T.V. show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Recipient of many top national awards. Melvyn's ambiance is the perfect compliment to gourmet dining. Every detail was selected to reflect gracious elegance and old world charm. Extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Melvyn's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Melvyn's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (43)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (15)great for brunch (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Overall Great Night!RenzDined on 2/14/2014The night went really well until we had two of the waiter's start arguing and yelling at each other in front of all their guest, however do not let that change tour mind about melvyns place is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The WORST !!!JPpalmspringsDined on 2/14/2014Have been familiar with Melvyn's for more than 20 years, the atmosphere is,very romantic, so decided to go there for Valentines . We had a 8:15 reservation & arrived at 7:30. After checking with the maitre'd was told that we couldn't be seated earlier but were on schedule for 8:15. Checked again at 8:30 and was told it would be any minute now…And finally at 9;00 told that there were five couples ahead of us ! Never once hearing the word "sorry" Not even when telling them to forget it ! They completely succeeded in ruining Valentines Day !!!!! It was bad enough to accept a reservation when incapable of keeping it, but completely despicable to hold us captive with lies !!!!!! IT USED TO BE SOMETHING…IT'S BECOME A TOURIST TRAP !!!!!
- First timer here!EatatJoesDined on 2/14/2014I feel was overbooked staff overwhelmed! Had reservations, still waited over an hour for table. Was nastalgic in bar....Waiting for Ole Blues to pop in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine DinnerPoodleVIPDined on 2/14/2014Wonderful as always, but even though we made a reservation weeks ahead for 7:30pm, we weren't seated until 8:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJockoDined on 2/14/2014First visit, will be last. Waited one hour fifteen minutes past reservation time to be seated. Wait staff excellent. Food average, nothing special. Old Hollywood ambiance, way out of date. Great place to take Great Grandma and Pa.
- Valentine's DayHattieDined on 2/14/2014We had a fabulous dinner. Very fun decor for the special night. The chicken pot pie was excellent, not to mention the filet mignon and lobster tail! We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Valentines day dinnerWebweversDined on 2/14/2014We had our wedding rehearsal dinner here many years ago, and wanted to go back. The Food was great and the atmosphere was better. This place just keeps getting better and better. Good to see some of the same people working here from before. Very classy we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerBBarnesDined on 2/14/2014Nice Valentines Day dinner. Was hoping to order from the menu but it was a set course option instead. Even though it was a set course, the food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just discovered this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We just discovered this place and celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary. Wish we found it years ago. It's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time shot...steve3410Dined on 2/13/2014old fashion elegance.....perfect service...superior food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AnniversaryLMR1Dined on 2/10/2014It was our 46th anniversary we were greeted by the Maître d' and seated right away. The service was wonderful and we felt we were being pampered. The food was great as well as the ambiance. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have to say not impressedGaryVIPDined on 2/8/2014Ate hear 6 - 7 years ago. Went on Saturday 2/8/14, this reminded me why I hadn't been back since. We sat in the patio next to a very cold window. Dining room was busy, waited to long for dinner. When it arrived the rack for $72.00 was cooked well done. I had ordered it medium rare. The waiter carved it table side and still served it knowing how I ordered it. When I informed him that it was to well done, his response was, "This item takes the longest to overcook" NOT IMPRESSED when paying this price. The best part of the meal was the soufflé. To bad it was the only positive about a meal that cost this much. No intention of going back. To many places offering better food and service.
- EXPERIENCING PALM SPRINGS HISTORYDebInPalmSpringsDined on 2/4/2014...was the agenda for our evening dining at Melvyns Restaurant which is part of the historic Ingleside Inn. Friends from Minnesota were joining me in Palm Springs for a "get-out-of-the-snow" week, and I wanted to top off their stay with a special dinner. Not only was the food spectacular, but the presentation is what you don't get any longer in restaurants. Menu choices were unique. Beef medallions were tender and perfectly prepared, but the presentation of the chicken pot pie had everyone's attention as it was served. The table-side preparation of our Cherries Jubilee desert ended the evening perfectly. Dining at Melvyn's and walking through the Ingleside Inn is like taking a step back in time, a truly authentic Palm Springs experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Surpriseken29VIPDined on 1/26/2014Melvyn's is everything we expected and more. We had a great table location the staff was very attentive and pleasant. I had the filet mignon and it was perfect. Melted in my mouth. My wife had salmon and was also great. We had a great time. Would revisit.Special Features:
- Wonderful Restaurant!kathe90035VIPDined on 1/24/2014Dining under the stars....great food and service..they really know how to cook lambSpecial Features:
- We love the ambiance of Melvyn'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/12/2014We love the ambiance of Melvyn's but all three of us agreed that the food was not up to par. Both eggs benedict orders were lacking zest in the sauce and my husband's crepes were dry. I hope this is not a usual occurance since we really enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Palm Springs Must!!xtinaDined on 1/11/2014Melvyn's is a must do on your Palm Springs to do list. The food is excellent. The atmosphere is cozy, yet energetic. The staff is attentive. After dinner have a drink in the lounge, which has the vibrance that Sinatra is in the air. Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Go Place in Palm SpringHaleyDined on 1/3/2014Overall it's a lovely experience and we would definitely make it out Palm Spring Must Do in the future. Food is better than I'd expected - it's actually outstanding, as well as the service. Wine list, Martinis and Mai Tai are awesome as well. Love the piano bar. Looked around, most patrons are much older. I guess young people are too cool to be there, as the scensters would probably prefer to hang out by the pool at Ace and skip a proper dinner. It's a shame. I really would like to see more people my age to experience the great dining experience.Special Features:
- Like Stepping Back in TimeimalocalVIPDined on 1/1/2014Caring and attentive staff serving mediocre food in a setting that's circa 1972 Palm Springs. All-in-all entertaining due to the kitsch factor, but certainly not a place one visits for the food.
- Palm springs standardDutchisDivineVIPDined on 12/30/2013Melvyns is a Palm Springs standard at the Ingleside Inn, which evokes images of 1940 -meets current day. Its fun, kitschy and the bar scene is a blast! Go and get your Frank Sinatra on!Special Features:
- Disappointedluv2dineVIPDined on 12/29/2013I've heard about this restaurant for 30 years and have always wanted to eat here. Got my chance for lunch mid-week and was disappointed. The décor seemed tired and dated as did the wait staff. The food was just ok, nothing noteworthy or special. There was a mix up on paying with a credit card by someone in our party and we waited a long time to see if it was resolved, but we'd been forgotten. Finally had to go track down our waiter before we left and then it was a question if it did or didn't get handled properly. At least now I can say I've eaten at this Landmark restaurant, but don't think I'll bother to return.Special Features:
- Went there for 1st AnniversaryCaseyK1988Dined on 12/28/2013Went there for my Wife and I's 1st Wedding Anniversary and it was a very nice experience. Definitely the fanciest restaurant I have ever been to. The food was good, the wait staff was very attentive, they even had valet parking. The atmosphere was very nice love the decor of the restaurant. They even brought us a special slice of cake for our wedding anniversary. A very nice touch.Special Features:
- It's a classic from a differentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/28/2013It's a classic from a different era. Service and ambiance is still tops, but the quality food is declining. Melvyn take notice. Your best customers are.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service - Dec 28/13RCFREEDVIPDined on 12/28/2013We have eaten at Melvyn's several times and always had great service. On this particular night service varied between indifferent and bordering on rude. We were also ignored in the bar after having our first drink and for several minutes once seated for dinner. F
- Be known or don't bother!CorpLdyDined on 12/27/2013We were the first guests to arrive for a 6pm reservation and had cocktails while waiting for the restaurant to begin seating. The bartender and server were wonderful. With an empty restaurant, we were seated right next to the service area and served by a waiter who was more concerned with his regular guests rather than cultivating new guests to become regulars. I chose to have 3 appetizers and a soufflé all were served lukewarm at best. The white fish was served less than lukewarm - my guest barely ate it. The final entrée, a filet, although cooked as requested, was the end cut and disappointing for the prices charged. If you must go, find someone who may be recognized or expect to be relegated to the service area.
- Christmas Day was a little hecticCathJollDined on 12/25/2013We made our reservations for 7:30 and had to wait in the bar which is no biggie. However we did not get seated until about 8:45 and that was after asking the Maitre D' several times if we were going to be seated soon. Once seated the service was great and of course the food too.Special Features:
- Great Service - but food not greatJemcaDined on 12/25/2013It's Christmas, the decorations are 50's funky nice! The Maitre-D is lovely and he compliments us as we walk in saying "now that you're here, my day is great". So far, fantastic. Lead to our table thru a bustling crowd, sat next to the "water feature", a small pond outside our window, sweet. Fantastic penguins are serving everyone with precision, arguing quietly with the waiters in training to make sure they do everything to a T! Drinks arrive quickly and are great. Our orders have been taken (only 3 pris fixe items for Xmas on the menu). Then the meal arrives, with hints of what it should have tasted like, but the heater it sat under all day + too much salt ruin it! I will go back again. Need to give the regular menu a fare chance.Special Features:
- Old World CharmLoeLouDined on 12/25/2013We have been going to Melvyn's for years for our anniversary. (also stayed at the adjoining motel) Classy place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merry Christmas DinnerGonagainDined on 12/25/2013We were a party of four and most had different entrees. There were alot to choose from and definitely something for all tastes and appetites. The pumpkin bisque was delicious! One diner really enjoyed the turkey dinner, the two that had steak said they were done to perfection and my veal and shrimp was fantastic! It was extremely busy and we sometimes had to wait to order drinks, dessert,etc. but as few restaurants were open on Christmas day this was to be expected. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- my opinionoutoftownersDined on 12/25/2013I was impressed with the lovely surroundings and the great service. It was a great first impression. The soup and salad were standard quality. The main meal could of been improved with pouring the gravy at the table. My meal was soaked in gravy. The broccoli was done perfectly and the turkey was real. I could tell as I bit into some gristle. The pumpkin pie, which I was really looking forward to, was a disappointment ! It was tasteless with a cardboard crust! Surely that wasn't made at your restaurant! I felt that the restaurant was focusing on service, which is a good thing, but also seating as many people as possible not about the meal itself !Special Features:
- Perfect for that special dinnerDeanDined on 12/25/2013All around one of the best places for that special memorable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melvyn's is always a delighticruiserVIPDined on 12/25/2013Melvyn's always delivers a divine experience. From the moment you enter the long tree lined drive to the moment you exit you can always expect the best and not be disappointed. Dining in the elegance of yesteryear is always a delight. This year the options on the holiday menu were exceptional. The veal and shrimp combination with that wonderful sauce was a great choice. As soon as I leave Melvyn's I already start making plans to go back Thanks Mel for doing Palm Springs proud.Special Features:
- Christmas EveBevDTVIPDined on 12/24/2013The restaurant/bar itself was almost thrilling when we first walked in, like walking onto a movie set. It was hustling & bustling & all were enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, that scene likely resulted in our service not being as best as it probably usually is. Although we were enjoying the atmosphere & doing a bit of people watching, even that grew a bit tiresome after waiting for service. My meal was outstanding (braised ribs), but my husband's steak wasn't the best he's had, unfortunately. Having said all this, we do realize that it was Christmas Eve & the waiters were being run off their feet & we are truly appreciative for the service we did get. This will not deter us however, as we will very likely return again, ever in the hood.Special Features:
- NightmarePalomaDined on 12/24/2013We made a reservation a week before for 7:00 on Christmas Eve, arrived on time and did not get seated until 7:30. Most of the clientele looked like they had been coming there for years and were promptly seated. Once seated, a waiter took our drink order, brought bread and disappeared. At 8:00 we finally asked for a menu. By 8:20, we finally figured we probably would not get fed in our lifetime so we flagged down someone for a drink bill. At that time, he apologized for the long wait, offered to comp our drinks and said "maybe he could expedite" our order. We opted out. The restaurant was busy that night, but at the same time they have been around for many years and should be able to handle a crowd. There was no excuse for such arrogance.
- Graciousness DefinedMelvinDined on 12/23/2013This visit to Melvyn’s was another annual anniversary outing. We go to Palm Springs each year and our reservation at Melvyn’s is the centerpiece of the trip. Again, this year the staff did not disappoint. The ambiance, food, service, and vibe of the restaurant exemplify gracious dining. This year, I also used the floral service for a nice flower arrangement which was already in place when we were seated. That extra touch was very well received and brought warm greetings and congratulations from other diners. We are already making plans for next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reasonable dining experienceFillmoreVIPDined on 12/22/2013The atmosphere was of an earlier time (60's) and the food was fine but not exceptional. We arrived at 6 pm and the lounge was hoping with a live band. It was so loud it was hard to converse but it calmed down after 20 minutes and the music was at a much lower volume in the dining room. We thought it was a good experience overall but i can't say we would return.
- How can you go wrong at ageneralVIPDined on 12/12/2013How can you go wrong at a restaurant where the wait staff is in tuxedos and all the food is prepared in front of you. This place was a pleasant surprise and a gem to dine in.Special Features:
- Tried Something NewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/30/2013As long time visitors to the Palm Springs area, we strive to try different restaurants. Because we love the old world charm of the desert and established restaurants, we decided to try Melvyn’s. While, I wish I could say it was a new find for us, I think it may have missed the mark. The food was okay, the prices where reasonable, and it was fun to experience a new place where the patrons were locals, yet there was no WOW moment. I was celebrating my husband’s birthday and even made a point to say so in the reservation, yet there was no mention of it by the wait staff whatsoever which made my special occasion disappointing and not so special. Otherwise, I have no complaints but I will be sticking to my old favorites from this point forward.Special Features:
- Food excellent, service very slowDrCJDined on 11/28/2013We arrived early for a 5:00 p.m. reservation, waited in the bar until 5:30, our order taken at 5:45, given soup at 6:00 and they didn't finish serviing us until 7:00. They clearly overbooked and were understaffed, and what staff there were, were very slow. If the food had not been excellent and we were not out-of-towners, we would have walked. For $45 a plate, we expect great food and at least decent service. Clearly most of the clientele is retired and maybe they don't mind the wait, but with 2 kids it's harder to be patient. The ambience is old-school Palm Springs, which is fine for a leisurely brunch, but don't go for a holiday dinner.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving FeastJodyDined on 11/28/2013Very good food even with an enormous crowd. Room was cold though very pretty. Service was attentive. The setting is picturesque. We were happy with our visit. Tab for 4 was $250.00 with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.