200 W Ramon Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://inglesideinn.com/melvyns_restaurant.html
- Phone: (760) 325-2323
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Juan Castaneda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us for nightly entertainment in our Piano Bar and dancing in our Casa Blanca Lounge from 8pm. On Sundays join us from 3.30pm till 7.30pm for our weekly Jam session.
- Special Events: Perfect setting for weddings, meetings or private parties. Custom menus are available for any budget.
A word from Melvyn's Restaurant
Melvyn's Restaurant was named "One of Ten Best" by the T.V. show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Recipient of many top national awards. Melvyn's ambiance is the perfect compliment to gourmet dining. Every detail was selected to reflect gracious elegance and old world charm. Extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Melvyn's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Melvyn's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)romantic (42)neighborhood gem (29)vibrant bar scene (16)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (15)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Neat spot, great food, cool historyDrummer28Dined on 7/7/2014We took the in-laws to an early dinner at Melvyn's as a vacation treat. At first it was a little odd, as we were the first diners; but the welcome was warm and the service was impeccable. All four of us enjoyed our meals immensely - the tourenados and steak were perfectly grilled, and the chicken stuffed with lobster was an amazing dish with a great sauce. The pork medallions with grilled prawns was equally well received. The side vegetables were simple but very fresh and flavorful. My mother-in-law ate the zucchini, and she never eats zucchini. The creme brulee was average but the homemade cheesecake more than made up for it. We would definitely return to Melvyn's for anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Best birthday party place in town.RandyDined on 7/1/2014Party of 6, two birthdays, staff made it the best evening ever with over - the - top service. Thank you for a wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunJohnny555VIPDined on 6/28/2014Always a good experience at Melvyn's. Good food, great service and even better people watching.Special Features:
- One classy placeDiazboyz4Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I were celebrated our anniversary. Once we entered the restaurant till we walked out we felt like we were the only focus of all the staff. It was what I expected based on my research for that special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningmathmanDined on 6/6/2014What a treat to have so much of our incredible dinner prepared at the table by our waiter, Bobby! It added so much to watch him prepare my dinner and dessert. We loved watching him make various salads for others. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve66VIPDined on 5/23/2014Went for my wife's birthday with a group of 7, and had a great time. They gave us a nice patio table, and the service was old-school charming and excellent. The food here is never great, but always solid. Steak Diane is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPeteVIPDined on 5/20/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Melvyn's Restaurant. The food, service, and ambience were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Again and again...DickVIPDined on 5/11/2014Always a fantastic experience! This time we met some Oregon golfers who were excited about the bar scene on Mother's Day, and once seated we had a very nice repartee with a couple from the Sacramento area. The waiter, whose name was also Richard, and I agreed: There's too many Dicks and not enough Richards! The chateaubriand was marvelous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect visitJPAres1Dined on 5/11/2014I was hoping for a special place to take my mother to for Mother's Day and Melvyn's was perfect! The service was outstanding, the food excellent and Mom couldn't have been any happier. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible menu from the pastOutnaboutDined on 5/9/2014This place has been around forever. If you've always wondered about the opulent day when you are greeted by a gentleman wearing a tux and table side food prepared on a gas burner then you will want to try this place. Granted the crowd is older, but from the crystal chandeliers and deserts flambé this is a wonderful place with great service. Live lounge music can be heard as you dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDonaldVIPDined on 5/6/2014Went to restaurant and one of the four guest had shorts and was told he could not be seated unless he had pants. We went back home and changed into slacks and returned to the restaurant. We were seated next to a table with a gentleman wearing SHORTS. Went to dinner expecting to be seated in the garden room instead was placed in the center of the floor of a small room after requesting a quiet area in the dining room. Ordered the Oysters Rockefeller and had to send them back because it was cold and then came back floating in Hollandaise Sauce. Then had Veal Shank and that was also just luke warm overall meal just average.
- Pleasant way to spend a brunchLuv2dineDined on 5/4/2014This was our first visit to Melvyn's champagne brunch. The staff was very pleasant. The food was good, though exceptional dinners are definitely their strong point. We would do this bruch again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- melvynsworldclassDined on 5/1/2014Everything about melvyns was womderful.a step back into old hollywood.not for short and tee shirt croud.everyone were dressed nice and the food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world beautyLuv2dineDined on 4/26/2014We've been to Melvyn's several times for dinner. It is always fun since it's like a trip back in time. Elegance, delicious food and wonderful wait staff. And having the crepes prepared at table-side was a joy. After dinner the music and dancing was terrific. On a side note, after dinner everyone was offered coffee. I don't drink coffee, preferring tea instead. After the coffee was delivered, a separate waitress came by and asked if I would like some tea and provided me an incredible selection to choose from when I accepted the offer. It was a wonderful cup if tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AniaVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our all time favorite Easter Brunch destination....Special Features:
- Always great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Any time visiting Palm Springs,we make a reservation for Sunday brunch. The food is always good and the service is spot on..... Although I must say Easter brunch service was slow, it was hard to find a server to refill our champaign at times. Easter brunch had a set menue and as usual the food was great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for everybodyJohnny555VIPDined on 4/19/2014And they like it that way... Always great food, great service and a great time. Don't be fooled by the fact that it's old school, old school is cool especially here at Melvyn'sSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014Elegant dinner for two from car-valet (mandatory, but $3!) to dessert. Shrimp scampi perfectly prepared. Salmon, as well. Soufflé desert not for everyone. Egg-whites only, resulting in a dramatically lighter dish. Service impeccable and final cost of $100 for two dinners a relative bargain. Place Melvyn's on your must try list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melvyn's is always a delightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014I always enjoy my visits to Melvyn's and this Sunday brunch was no exception. We were seated immediately and given prompt service. The cranberry muffins were a delicious starter. When I looked at the menu at first I was extremely disappointed because I had checked the menu online first to be sure that I could order my favorite brunch which is a Monte Cristo Sandwich but it was nowhere on the brunch menu. I expressed my disappointment to the waiter who informed me that the Monte Cristo was only served Monday thru Friday. When I persisted he said that he would check with the chef to see if he would make me one. He came back and said that the chef agreed to make my sandwich for me That is what I expected from a restaurant of this caliberSpecial Features:
- Hidden Historic Gem5TravelersDined on 4/1/2014If you like to explore hidden corners of the places you visit, you will love Melvyn's. It represents iconic Palm Springs and reminisces the days of the movie stars, Frank Sinatra and friends, and the Racquet Club. Delicious food, quiet surroundings, terrace dining, superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly excellent forHEBRVIPDined on 3/29/2014Consistantly excellent for all the years we have been coming here. Great piano player & dance floor. Drinks are pricey but food is a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...DreadfulOsprey4356VIPDined on 3/28/2014Overpriced. Table side cooking supposedly their forte and everything was poorly prepared. Swordfish special - the swordfish was over cooked. Sole de Piccata was inedible as the sauce tasted like sour cooking wine. Caesar salads were the same schlocky salads you get anywhere with store bought tiny stale croutons and overdressed cut up romaine hearts. Dessert was bananas flambé over ice cream, which in reality was nothing more than a soupy mess. The bar scene is truly frightful with septuagenarians and octogenarians cutting up the dance floor and women of a certain age who are inappropriately dressed (The Brits call them "Mutton Masquerading as Lamb") trolling the bar. A place like this wouldn't survive anywhere else but Palm Springs.
- Average food.The rolls weredagmVIPDined on 3/25/2014Average food.The rolls were better than the meal. Waiter seemed very disappointed that we did not order cocktails for lunch. Place had an odd smell. Would not go back.Special Features:
- The real Palm SpringsWeston9Dined on 3/21/2014When ever we are in Palm Springs we like to go to Melvyn's this where the original Palm Spring'ers used to hang out in the 50's and 60's. Great restaurant, service is impeccable - the menu has not changed in years ( but could be updated) veal and sole were fantastic.Special Features:
- Don't go for the foodthunderboltDined on 3/19/2014The veal oscar was terrible. Veal tough, the bearnaise sauce watered down, and the crab, I will bet, came out of a can, just before serving. The wait staff was excellent, the ambience quite nice. Beautiful restaurant. They comped the veal dish which I barely ate. Good for them! They could do a lot better with their wines by the glass. They sell one basic brand of wine for 9 dollars by the glass which costs about 5 dollars a bottle. For a very nice restaurant, that's sad. I had great expectations, especially with the great web cite they have put together, but the quality of the food was not there.Special Features:
- Classic old style night outlifes2shortDined on 3/18/2014We had the best time celebrating my birthday at Melvyn's. I wanted to take our kids out for dinner and show them what it means to dine out. It's hard to find in an industry of chain restaurants or pretentious flash in the pan restaurants.Our family was welcomed and our children were given extra fun and attention by the excellent staff of gentlemen who looked after us. The menu is full of classic dishes, nothing new or surprising but very well prepared. Table side preparation was just another great part of our night. We'll be back to share more special occasions at this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun timethorsonDined on 3/15/2014Melvin's is an old world gem. The wait staff is poised, trained and knows when to move in and out. Excellent service and they do great shows of flaming several dishes table side. The owner, Mel Haber dresses like he just stepped out of Gentlemen's Quarterly from 1970, a super look for his restaurant. The food, hum; while its always good is not for foodie's nor someone who is looking for gourmet dining. But it is not bad. And they still give you a salad or soup with your main course unlike some new restaurants in PS that have opened this season. There's even one new prime rib place that does not serve baked potatoes, but only instant mashed, yuk, but that's another review; Hooray for Melvins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic not to be missedLagunaFriendsVIPDined on 3/15/2014If you have not been to Melvyn's and have any interest in what is truly "retro" and precious and wonderful, go now - who knows how long before it is gone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- P.S.ThomDined on 3/15/2014Great restaurant, excellent service a must if you are in Palm Springs.Special Features:
- Fun experienceDiner1936VIPDined on 3/11/2014This is like stepping back in time. The decor has not changed since the 50's! Food was great, service was outstanding, but nothing beats the ambience! A must place to eat if you are visiting Palm Springs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blast into the PastPartyGroupVIPDined on 3/8/2014This place has been around for more than 80 years. Dining here gives you a feel for what it must have been like when the Rat Pack was running around in Palm Springs. The food is very good and a good sized and reasonably priced wine list. The wait staff is outstanding. We sat on the patio this visit which is my favorite place. The bar is always busy, but they seem to have it staffed appropriately every time I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blast from the past,DaisyDined on 3/6/2014Lovely restaurant! Reminded us of days gone by. The service was wonderful and the food great. The Inn looked amazing and we may try to stay there when we are back the next time. Will definitely go again,Special Features:
- Outstanding food and outstanding seRichRMVIPDined on 3/4/2014A friend and I had lunch at Melvyn's one day this week. I had the club sandwich. It was the best club sandwich I have ever had. I should add that I have had many, many clubs over the years. The service was excellent. There was a slight problem with the reservation, however the manager was more than helpful and corrected the issue immediately, even calling me to make sure that he had taken care of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quack quackhungrymanmixDined on 3/1/2014Get the duck.... it was amazing... visit a walk through history.... wear your best clothes...Special Features:
- Friday nightNellyDined on 2/21/2014We bring all out guests from out of town. The food is amazing, service is outstanding and if you're lucky Melvyn will stop by your table and share a joke. It's a classic place with classic fare. It's not a stretch to imagine The rat pack sipping on a few drinks and enjoying the steak Dianne (cooked at your table) along with another classic- cherries jubilee- for dessert. A must for anyone that's visiting or a good excuse to have a night out, and then kick up your shoes on the dance floor!Special Features:
- sat night at melvynsthankskdVIPDined on 2/20/2014wonderful! the lounge has not changed since we were last there. the resrtaurant was both delightful and delicious in a vintage sort of way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh Melvyn!travlinLAVIPDined on 2/17/2014Haven't been there for a couple of years, trying new places, and glad we came back. Won't be long until our next return! Food was great, service attentive, love it, love it, love it. Bar was lively (Monday night?), singer and audience seemed to be having a great time as well.....next time we will stay for the whole evening, and will try the Brunch, that was recommended by some friends as terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past it's time...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/17/2014If the food had been decent (best Cobb in the desert? - hardly), or the service less than sloppy, We might have overlooked it's aging decor. This desert tradition needs an update all around. On the other hand, maybe it is more of a bar scene type of place. We were there for lunch.
- True institutionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014The chicken pot pie is absolutely amazing ,it's a must order, and the seafood creeps were probably one of the best dishes I've had in a long time. Melvyn's is a true gem, and I recommend this restaurant to anyone who is visiting Palm Springs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nostalgic Cool but crowdedDrummer28Dined on 2/14/2014Went on Valentines Day - place was packed & we were seated 1/2 hour for our already late (8:45pm) reservation. Enjoyed the bar scene & cabaret singer, but it was really loud. Our dinner overall was good, but we both ordered the prixe fixe surf & turf, and were disappointed that the lobster was severely overcooked on both plates. Servers were great. We'd give it another try on a non-holiday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.