200 W Ramon Rd
Palm Springs, CA 92264Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://inglesideinn.com/melvyns_restaurant.html
- Phone: 7603252323
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Juan Castaneda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer 2 private dining rooms seating up to 50-85 guests, and 75-100 standing,
both great for meetings and private dining. We have hosted meetings for Pitney Bowes, CBS, Warner Records and many others. Use the hotel for a business retreat and meet in the private rooms for meals, meetings, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Brian Ellis 7603252323
- Entertainment: Join us for nightly entertainment in our Piano Bar and dancing in our Casa Blanca Lounge from 8pm. On Sundays join us from 3.30pm till 7.30pm for our weekly Jam session.
- Special Events: Perfect setting for weddings, meetings or private parties. Custom menus are available for any budget.
A word from Melvyn's Restaurant
Melvyn's Restaurant was named "One of Ten Best" by the T.V. show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous". Recipient of many top national awards. Melvyn's ambiance is the perfect compliment to gourmet dining. Every detail was selected to reflect gracious elegance and old world charm. Extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Melvyn's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Palm Springs ›
Melvyn's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (8)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- kohala1946Dined on 9/3/2014Wednesday is open mike night! Who woulda guessed?? The following were 5-stars: Food, Service, Entertainment. What else is there? Mahalo for a memorable evening!Special Features:
- Great find in PalmOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Every aspect was above expectations. The food was amazing and our "capitan" was outstanding and very knowledgable. The lobster pot pie is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must do in Palm Springs!!!!!!!!!!HrpuffinstuffDined on 8/30/2014A must do in Palm Springs! Throw back to old Hollywood! The waiters are dressed in suits and ties. Amazing service. They cook table side dishes! Good strong drinks! Great for a romantic date or for a group of friends. After dinner enjoy live music in their adjoining bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't serve fish if it isn't fresh!MarquesaDined on 8/26/2014This was our wedding day. We chose Melvyn's as our special night out. I had noted this in my Open Table Request, and I had also asked for a quiet corner table. We arrived were escorted to banquette-style seating. I asked to move to the corner table and was accommodated. I ordered Shrimp Scampi, and my husband ordered Scallops. I asked if the scampi was good prior to ordering: "It's served on pasta." A clue? Perhaps. Both shrimp and scallops tasted like they were previously frozen - like something one would get at Red Lobster. We would have probably been much better off ordering steak. And lastly, I was disappointed that no one said congratulations. Once would expect that a 4-start restaurant read their notes from Open Table.
- Never changes. Always great!IrishRickDined on 8/23/2014Melvyn's never ceases to amaze me. We have been coming here once or twice per year for several years. It's always the same: same wait staff, same management, same food, same service. All great! We visited on a very busy Saturday night. No problem, we were immediately shown to our table. Two hours later, after great service and food, we were escorted to the lounge where we listened to the same singer/piano player! This is fine dining as it should be, but seldom is. And frankly, since dinner includes soup/salad and sides, the prices are pretty good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruceVIPDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful find. Perfect in every way. If I ever come back to Palm Springs will come again. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class of the desertJohnny555VIPDined on 8/15/2014This place just continues to be a must whether you're visiting or a resident of Palm Springs. It's a step back in time with a prolific menu, great cocktails, old school service and a touch of class. Just go!!!!!Special Features:
- Russ ThompsonRussVIPDined on 8/13/2014Our arrival was a great treat, since this was my first visit. My party of four ordered a round of drinks and we visited, and continued to visit for about 45 minutes before a not friendly waiter asked if we wanted another drink. By this time everyone seated after us were being served. I told the waiter that we had waited to order our food way too long. We ordered our meals then I sat there with the wine list, propped up in front of me an additional 10 minutes before someone asked if I wanted to order wine. I had the Steak Diane which was wonderful, however my Shrimp cocktail was nearly poor and the Shrimp were frozen dry! Never again.Special Features:
- MbkfcatsDined on 7/27/2014Great place to dine, whether it is for brunch, lunch, or dinner. Wait staff is attentive. One of my favorite places in the Desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Step back into the pastOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and decided to spend a night in Palm Springs. We also decided to try Melvyn's for lunch. The service was superb, the food delicious and we ended up sitting next to Mel Haber himself. A perfect day.Special Features:
- Old Palm Springs memoriesDaleDined on 7/22/2014Forgot about this place, till looking for a restaurant online, I haven't been here for 30+years, it hasn't changed a bit, still very charming, great food service impeccable. Staff doesn't change, some over 30 years on the job! Small & intimate. Able to talk and dine @ in leisure. Went here for my birthday, they made it extra special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuffy, but OKOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014This old-time, stuffy restaurant is worth visiting, despite the Palm Springs-in-the-summer-tuxedo-wearing captains. The food was very good: crab cakes, raw oysters, Fettuccine Alfredo, duck (slightly overcooked, but still moist), salads, cheese cake, specialty coffees. Very attentive, but not intrusive service. Knowledgeable captains, very accommodating. An enjoyable evening. We will definately return to this 40 year+ year old place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was amazing, the wine list was great, Bobby (our server) is a local treasure), and the live music was a nice additional benefit. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Neat spot, great food, cool historyDrummer28Dined on 7/7/2014We took the in-laws to an early dinner at Melvyn's as a vacation treat. At first it was a little odd, as we were the first diners; but the welcome was warm and the service was impeccable. All four of us enjoyed our meals immensely - the tourenados and steak were perfectly grilled, and the chicken stuffed with lobster was an amazing dish with a great sauce. The pork medallions with grilled prawns was equally well received. The side vegetables were simple but very fresh and flavorful. My mother-in-law ate the zucchini, and she never eats zucchini. The creme brulee was average but the homemade cheesecake more than made up for it. We would definitely return to Melvyn's for anything on the menu.Special Features:
- Best birthday party place in town.RandyDined on 7/1/2014Party of 6, two birthdays, staff made it the best evening ever with over - the - top service. Thank you for a wonderful dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunJohnny555VIPDined on 6/28/2014Always a good experience at Melvyn's. Good food, great service and even better people watching.Special Features:
- One classy placeDiazboyz4Dined on 6/28/2014My wife and I were celebrated our anniversary. Once we entered the restaurant till we walked out we felt like we were the only focus of all the staff. It was what I expected based on my research for that special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningmathmanDined on 6/6/2014What a treat to have so much of our incredible dinner prepared at the table by our waiter, Bobby! It added so much to watch him prepare my dinner and dessert. We loved watching him make various salads for others. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2014Went for my wife's birthday with a group of 7, and had a great time. They gave us a nice patio table, and the service was old-school charming and excellent. The food here is never great, but always solid. Steak Diane is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerPeteVIPDined on 5/20/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Melvyn's Restaurant. The food, service, and ambience were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 546 reviews are from the Melvyn's Restaurant reviews archive.
- Again and again...DickVIPDined on 5/11/2014Always a fantastic experience! This time we met some Oregon golfers who were excited about the bar scene on Mother's Day, and once seated we had a very nice repartee with a couple from the Sacramento area. The waiter, whose name was also Richard, and I agreed: There's too many Dicks and not enough Richards! The chateaubriand was marvelous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect visitJPAres1Dined on 5/11/2014I was hoping for a special place to take my mother to for Mother's Day and Melvyn's was perfect! The service was outstanding, the food excellent and Mom couldn't have been any happier. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible menu from the pastOutnaboutDined on 5/9/2014This place has been around forever. If you've always wondered about the opulent day when you are greeted by a gentleman wearing a tux and table side food prepared on a gas burner then you will want to try this place. Granted the crowd is older, but from the crystal chandeliers and deserts flambé this is a wonderful place with great service. Live lounge music can be heard as you dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDonaldVIPDined on 5/6/2014Went to restaurant and one of the four guest had shorts and was told he could not be seated unless he had pants. We went back home and changed into slacks and returned to the restaurant. We were seated next to a table with a gentleman wearing SHORTS. Went to dinner expecting to be seated in the garden room instead was placed in the center of the floor of a small room after requesting a quiet area in the dining room. Ordered the Oysters Rockefeller and had to send them back because it was cold and then came back floating in Hollandaise Sauce. Then had Veal Shank and that was also just luke warm overall meal just average.
- Pleasant way to spend a brunchLuv2dineDined on 5/4/2014This was our first visit to Melvyn's champagne brunch. The staff was very pleasant. The food was good, though exceptional dinners are definitely their strong point. We would do this bruch again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- melvynsworldclassDined on 5/1/2014Everything about melvyns was womderful.a step back into old hollywood.not for short and tee shirt croud.everyone were dressed nice and the food and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world beautyLuv2dineDined on 4/26/2014We've been to Melvyn's several times for dinner. It is always fun since it's like a trip back in time. Elegance, delicious food and wonderful wait staff. And having the crepes prepared at table-side was a joy. After dinner the music and dancing was terrific. On a side note, after dinner everyone was offered coffee. I don't drink coffee, preferring tea instead. After the coffee was delivered, a separate waitress came by and asked if I would like some tea and provided me an incredible selection to choose from when I accepted the offer. It was a wonderful cup if tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AniaVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our all time favorite Easter Brunch destination....Special Features:
- Always great!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2014Any time visiting Palm Springs,we make a reservation for Sunday brunch. The food is always good and the service is spot on..... Although I must say Easter brunch service was slow, it was hard to find a server to refill our champaign at times. Easter brunch had a set menue and as usual the food was great. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for everybodyJohnny555VIPDined on 4/19/2014And they like it that way... Always great food, great service and a great time. Don't be fooled by the fact that it's old school, old school is cool especially here at Melvyn'sSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2014Elegant dinner for two from car-valet (mandatory, but $3!) to dessert. Shrimp scampi perfectly prepared. Salmon, as well. Soufflé desert not for everyone. Egg-whites only, resulting in a dramatically lighter dish. Service impeccable and final cost of $100 for two dinners a relative bargain. Place Melvyn's on your must try list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Melvyn's is always a delightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014I always enjoy my visits to Melvyn's and this Sunday brunch was no exception. We were seated immediately and given prompt service. The cranberry muffins were a delicious starter. When I looked at the menu at first I was extremely disappointed because I had checked the menu online first to be sure that I could order my favorite brunch which is a Monte Cristo Sandwich but it was nowhere on the brunch menu. I expressed my disappointment to the waiter who informed me that the Monte Cristo was only served Monday thru Friday. When I persisted he said that he would check with the chef to see if he would make me one. He came back and said that the chef agreed to make my sandwich for me That is what I expected from a restaurant of this caliberSpecial Features:
- Hidden Historic Gem5TravelersDined on 4/1/2014If you like to explore hidden corners of the places you visit, you will love Melvyn's. It represents iconic Palm Springs and reminisces the days of the movie stars, Frank Sinatra and friends, and the Racquet Club. Delicious food, quiet surroundings, terrace dining, superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly excellent forHEBRVIPDined on 3/29/2014Consistantly excellent for all the years we have been coming here. Great piano player & dance floor. Drinks are pricey but food is a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...DreadfulOsprey4356VIPDined on 3/28/2014Overpriced. Table side cooking supposedly their forte and everything was poorly prepared. Swordfish special - the swordfish was over cooked. Sole de Piccata was inedible as the sauce tasted like sour cooking wine. Caesar salads were the same schlocky salads you get anywhere with store bought tiny stale croutons and overdressed cut up romaine hearts. Dessert was bananas flambé over ice cream, which in reality was nothing more than a soupy mess. The bar scene is truly frightful with septuagenarians and octogenarians cutting up the dance floor and women of a certain age who are inappropriately dressed (The Brits call them "Mutton Masquerading as Lamb") trolling the bar. A place like this wouldn't survive anywhere else but Palm Springs.
- Average food.The rolls weredagmVIPDined on 3/25/2014Average food.The rolls were better than the meal. Waiter seemed very disappointed that we did not order cocktails for lunch. Place had an odd smell. Would not go back.Special Features:
- The real Palm SpringsWeston9Dined on 3/21/2014When ever we are in Palm Springs we like to go to Melvyn's this where the original Palm Spring'ers used to hang out in the 50's and 60's. Great restaurant, service is impeccable - the menu has not changed in years ( but could be updated) veal and sole were fantastic.Special Features:
- Don't go for the foodthunderboltDined on 3/19/2014The veal oscar was terrible. Veal tough, the bearnaise sauce watered down, and the crab, I will bet, came out of a can, just before serving. The wait staff was excellent, the ambience quite nice. Beautiful restaurant. They comped the veal dish which I barely ate. Good for them! They could do a lot better with their wines by the glass. They sell one basic brand of wine for 9 dollars by the glass which costs about 5 dollars a bottle. For a very nice restaurant, that's sad. I had great expectations, especially with the great web cite they have put together, but the quality of the food was not there.Special Features:
- Classic old style night outlifes2shortDined on 3/18/2014We had the best time celebrating my birthday at Melvyn's. I wanted to take our kids out for dinner and show them what it means to dine out. It's hard to find in an industry of chain restaurants or pretentious flash in the pan restaurants.Our family was welcomed and our children were given extra fun and attention by the excellent staff of gentlemen who looked after us. The menu is full of classic dishes, nothing new or surprising but very well prepared. Table side preparation was just another great part of our night. We'll be back to share more special occasions at this special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun timethorsonDined on 3/15/2014Melvin's is an old world gem. The wait staff is poised, trained and knows when to move in and out. Excellent service and they do great shows of flaming several dishes table side. The owner, Mel Haber dresses like he just stepped out of Gentlemen's Quarterly from 1970, a super look for his restaurant. The food, hum; while its always good is not for foodie's nor someone who is looking for gourmet dining. But it is not bad. And they still give you a salad or soup with your main course unlike some new restaurants in PS that have opened this season. There's even one new prime rib place that does not serve baked potatoes, but only instant mashed, yuk, but that's another review; Hooray for Melvins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.