2 Bank Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 2124630090x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday & Sunday 5:30pm-11pm &
Friday and Saturday 5:30pm-12am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Melibea features contemporary Mediterranean cuisine. Drawing inspiration from the vast Mediterranean, including his native Spain, as well as flavors from Italy, Greece, Israel, and North Africa, our Chef dazzles diners by turning familiar dishes into an exploration of flavors, colors and design.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 2124630090
A word from Melibea
Melibea is an American Bistro that borrows from the vast Mediterranean to give diners a culinary experience that arouses the senses and expands the imagination. Here Chef Pep pushes the envelope changing the Menu weekly to reflect the seasonal offerings in the Market. It up to you, to allow our chef to take you on this beautiful culinary journey, while seated in the room that is the stage for the female protagonist- Melibea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Melibea - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Melibea reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)romantic (11)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Good food but...UESerDined on 8/16/2014We came here because we took advantage of an Urbandaddy brunch promotion with unlimited mimosas and brunch for 2 hours. Great deal, but we were very disappointed with the fact that we were only allowed 1 dish from the brunch menu, when neighboring restaurants gave us a lot more food options for the same price. Also, four of the dishes looked to be appetizer size - definitely not filling enough! Service was friendly, and orange mimosas were delicious (they also had strawberry and peach, but orange was the most fresh) and food wasn't bad. What really alarmed us though was that for 2 hours, we were the only people in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice place for a romantic dinnerBoliFoodi2410Dined on 8/11/2014We did Restaurant Week at Melibea and we had a great time. Highly recommend getting the Truffle Risotto and the Chocolate Mousse for dessert. Those two were spectacular. The waitress was also marvelous, allowing us to try different white wines before choosing the one we liked (and which we ordered two bottles of!). Overall great experience, would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute placeTaraEatsDined on 8/5/2014Loved the ambiance of this place. Unfortunately the food was just ok and the service was not great. I've had better and I've had worse but probably wouldn't go back.
- Great Brunch with unlimited MimosasPocahontasDDined on 8/3/2014Came here with friends to enjoy Sunday brunch. The food was delicious (had the pork sausage flat bread with summer squash, friends had the skirt steak and pancakes) and generously portioned. They have an unlimited mimosa option for two hours ($18). The waitstaff was attentive and made sure we always had refills of our drinks (tried the watermelon, strawberry and peach mimosas and they were all very tastey). They didn't rush us out of the place around the two hour mark. Around noontime a musician came to perform live music, which was the perfect touch to an afternoon with great friends, great food and great drinks. Would def come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014I won't come back to Melibea. The service was attentive until the restaurant got busier at which point we couldn't find our server. My heirloom tomato salad had minimal goat cheese. Our entrees were very salty. We waited 30 minutes to get dessert. The chocolate mousse didn't taste like chocolate and looked thrown on a plate from a carton. Finished plates were not cleared in a timely manner. Go someplace else.
- YUM!QueboyEatsDined on 7/25/2014I went to this restaurant for my birthday in March per a recommendation. It had only been open a few months, but it's definitely a gem. So much so I had a friend fly in town from Chicago, and I took her there. We both enjoyed the Restaurant Week Pre-fix. I won't go into a full out foodie recount, but the ambiance of this place is great. Great decor, huge windows which let in great light and sunset atmosphere if you are there at the right time. The food is excellent and the wine list is good. I wish I lived in the neighborhood and had the money -- I'd eat there all the time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Terrible WaitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/22/2014Went here for restaurant week. The restaurant was empty yet it took 30 minutes to get our appetizers, none of them were cooked. The food was very good but the whole experience was not good. Not only did our meal last 2.5 hours but our waiter forgot our drinks. We had to ask about our food taking so long. Only after our meal did our waiter mention that they share the kitchen with the neighboring restaurant.
- Great food with poor serviceOshlandDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant was fairly empty and our waiter was just not on point. He didn't know anything about the food and he was pretty clueless in general. He didn't listen and even though he was very nice, it got old after a while. Luckily, the food was great but they need to get the wait staff together if this restaurant is going to survive.
- jerseygirlDined on 6/24/2014I went to Melibea w/ my husband and 2 friends. Lovely, airy space w/ spacious bar. There was a fantastic trio playing gypsy jazz. (They play every Tuesday night.) The food was delicious. The maître d' very kindly gave us a free sampling of desserts, one of which was a phenomenal chilled chocolate gelato/pudding. For the overall quality of the food and friendliness of service, not to mention the music, I would gladly return to Melibea.Special Features:
- GemMissMVIPDined on 6/24/2014Melibea is a total gem on Bank Street, great for dates, dinner with friends, drinks...simply a place to enjoy yourself.Special Features:
- Great eveningWselfnyDined on 6/12/2014Enjoyed a great evening here. Very few hiccups for a new restaurant. Food was interesting and very good and we appreciated hearing the Haus of Mimosa. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- The following 55 reviews are from the Melibea reviews archive.
- Great New PlaceNYCFoodDined on 4/30/2014This place is just getting on it's feet; and we also went on a day that was POURING for 24 hours straight. So, the ambience/noise in "real life" may be different, and more than quiet. There were a few things they didn't have that we ordered, but the other picks were just as good. Food was good, drinks were good, and our server was perhaps in the best mood I've ever seen a server. I would recommend this to friends; it's also very convenient from the 1,2,3 train at 14th st stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was wonderful, but theJaxTDined on 4/5/2014Food was wonderful, but the service was beyond disappointing. It was nearly impossible to get anyone to take our order or bring anything to the table. I do not expect to ask a server for something multiple times before it finally arrives. He even forgot items we asked for, but I refused to ask & have to wait again. I would go back to this restaurant one more time as the food was really delicious, but if I have a similar experience with the service then I will cross it off my list and never return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre food...terrible servicekatedVIPDined on 4/5/2014if you decide to dine here, be prepared to have 25 people come by your table to clean it up, pick up glasses, clear plates, but no one can actually take your order or bring you your drinks. The food was a bit strange. The burata / winter vegetables entree is a HUGE ball of burata, and a very small portion of cubed vegetables. The proportions are totally off and there is no bread to eat the cheese with. This would maybe be more suited as an appetizer. The wine list is pretty limited and twice we sent back wine for being corked. the bar is pretty though if you were just looking to have a nice drink. I wouldn't recommend the food or bothering with table service.Special Features:
- Unique and unusual!LoisVIPDined on 4/4/2014We arrived late, ordered quickly, and to a great surprise each dish was more unique than the next and surprisingly out of this world delicious!!! The wait service was efficient and treated us like regulars even though it was our first time dining at the restaurant. Which is in the manager came over to be sure that everything was to our satisfaction, and we truly felt as though this could become one of our new favorite restaurants. We can't wait to go back and bring all of our friends!! We are so happy we live close by so that we can dine here regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty and friendly place!fuschianycDined on 3/29/2014Excellent service and interesting menu (although totally and recently revamped and different than menu posted at menupages). The chocolate mousse w/orange was divine. Nice variety for vegetarians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for happy hour and appsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/28/2014Restaurant is fairly new and I received a promotional voucher for 30% off to try it out. We shared 2 spreads, a pate and a special fish-based one. Both were good, served with toast. We ordered the bone marrow with oxtail marmalade which was delicious and good enough for a meal. We also tried the octopus a la plancha which unfortunately was overcooked to an extremely rubbery texture so we had to send it back. The waiter was apologetic and gave us free dessert. Overall, the place is nice and service is good. I would come back for drinks and to try more bar snacks and apps which are the more interesting items on the menu, in my opinion.
- double whammyjb19Dined on 3/7/2014We went to Melibea the other night for dinner and had a pretty awful experience. I made a reservation for 8:30pm and called the day beforehand to confirm. When we arrived, we were told that they "needed a few minutes." We didn't get seated until 10pm! And there was no sort of apology for our long wait either. Once we sat down, the poor service continued. 2 out of 5 wines were out of stock. No one came to give us water. We ordered shrimp risotto which came out with no shrimp at all. The food was sub par. I ordered cod and it was bland and I was unimpressed. All in all, we spent a lot of money and both the service and the food were pretty lousy. I won't be returning.
- great vibe, not so great foodDinerJezDined on 2/28/2014Walking into the restaurant feels like you've found one of those hidden hip local spots. The great vibe is let down a bit by the food though. Mains were good (I recommend the Game hen) but the entrees were not great and the Apple tartin dessert was a complete let down. Overall, we're glad we went there though as the ambience still made for an enjoyable night out with friends and great value with the NYC restaurant week special.Special Features:
- Food was good but waitstaff was newOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/28/2014All of the food we got was delicious, however the waitstaff was new and inexperienced which caused for an unpleasant experience. They were not willing to make any substitutions on the menu or accommodate for the customers asks.Special Features:
- Nice Quiet EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2014Melibea is a gem in the West Village. I went on a Monday night, and it was pretty quiet, but perfect for dinner. I loved the ambience of the restaurant, and the menu was great. There was the selection of a Restaurant Week menu as well. The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall, I loved it.Special Features:
- Lovely findAutumnfriday1VIPDined on 2/23/2014Glad to have finally tried this neighborhood spot. Service was great, the menu choices were varied, and the food excellent. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Night out with the HubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014The Manager is awesome and made sure we were comfortable and happy. Alfredo and our Host Cat was super amazing! Thank you Alfredo!!!!! Thank you Cat!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dining experienceTrumDined on 2/18/2014A very pleasant dining experience on a cold NYC evening. The staff was appropriately attentive, and the food was very good. I'll go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lame service, good food & vibeFoodAdminDined on 2/8/2014The menu is special and has good items. I had the raw scallops that were very good, would have loved to try the entire menu as everything there seems delicious. The service, however, is lame, and I left in the middle of the meal because the pleasure of eating ended with the deficiency of the service. Needed to order things twice, and guess what: they charge you for two pieces of bread bread.Special Features:
- Not goodRHTPDined on 2/7/2014The service was well-intentioned but hapless. The bartending was atrocious. The thumping music killed my appetite, which was fine, because the food was the opposite of subtle and inventive.
- where's the old menu?Minus19Dined on 1/18/2014everyone enjoyed their food (though we should have skipped the oysters) but the menu online was far more interesting than the menu we ordered from; we went for an adult dinner w/ people in their late thirties and the music was too loud (and a boring loop) for conversation; won't return for that reason
- FABULOUS!diego175VIPDined on 12/7/2013I live in the neighborhood and wanted to go somewhere close by to celebrate a dear friends birthday. This place is a real find. I loved everything about it. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 out of 6 people were happy!dek116VIPDined on 10/19/20136 of us went there for dinner, and EVERYONE was very happy with their meal. This is a rare and exciting thing. The server was accommodating, and although the kitchen was a little backed up because it was a busy Saturday night, and there is a new chef of 2 weeks, our server was very attentive. Nothing was too salty and everything we ate had wonderful flavors. I will return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My boyfriend and I went hereChloesmomDined on 10/19/2013My boyfriend and I went here for our anniversary. The food was excellent, the service was attentive and the atmosphere was intimate. We plan to go back. Get the chickpea cake for dessert. It's delicious and unusual.Special Features:
- Very goodPeanutDined on 10/17/2013I really enjoyed the food and the space. Great location. Nice large spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!jasper77Dined on 9/28/2013We were very happy for the service; the waiters were very attentive and courteous and helpful; and of course, outstanding food! We would love to come back and try other dishes. And the red wine suggested by our waiter was excellent too. Pleasant ambience................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but frustrating servicePaulVIPDined on 9/28/2013We enjoyed our meal once it arrived, but felt ignored by our waiter. When we arrived at our table, no one gave us dinner menus- one of us actually had to get up to ask for menus. By an hour in, we hasn't received any food or drinks. The waiter forgot two drink orders. Even getting the check was a huge ordeal, we sat forever waiting. It's not like the restaurant was busy!
- Too dark! Food mediocre- somewhatGourfoodDined on 8/16/2013Too dark! Food mediocre- somewhat salty and very small portions. Staff lovely!!
- Hit the spotShoreViewDined on 7/31/2013Our meal was part of a special day my wife and I had in NYC - an early dinner in between a matinee show and the ferry back home. When we arrived (6pm) we were about the only diners there (it got livelier while we were there), so attentiveness should be expected. But we were extremely well looked after - and spoiled a little once the waiter learned what we were celebrating. The whole meal was delicious (I nearly awarded 5 stars) and the wine list and advice was good (the list was perhaps a little pricey). We enjoyed every minute - great for anybody that relishes Mediterranean food and culture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPlanetBobDined on 7/27/2013I almost don't want to say how good it was because I don't want it to get over crowded. The scene was relatively low key. The food was outstanding with some unique dishes. There was a wine paring option that we didn't do because we took advantage of some great cocktails. But sommelier recommended some good wine to pair with our entre. One of our vegetables came out a little late but it was excellent and they apologized and gave it to us on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrendous serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2013The food was pretty good, but--despite too many hovering wait staff--the service was horrible. The waitress seemed to think that her job was to charm us by being overly personal and pretending that things like bringing an extra spoon was a big deal. Meanwhile, we were halfway through our entree before she brought us the wine, it took half an hour for the dessert to come, and she forgot the coffee altogether--though of course all of this was always someone else's fault. I'm not demanding when it comes to service, but this was extremely annoying.
- Fabulous Mediterranean in VillageSpiceVIPDined on 7/16/2013Wow! Great place around the corner from Barraca. Everything is delicious.Special Features:
- Very good food and outstandingFeedbackVIPDined on 7/13/2013Very good food and outstanding service from proven teamSpecial Features:
- Exceedingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/9/2013Who knew? Heard about this place and it sounded good but I had no idea how good! Every dish was superb. Also a really pretty place. Was there on a Tuesday night dinner hour and it was quiet. An amazing thing to find these days. Quiet but not boring and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.