Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
1723 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.villagebistro.com/
- Phone: (703) 522-0284
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
"...Our menu is just a reference for you-but in reality, creativity is in our hearts, our minds, and our kitchen, let me give you a different dining experience..."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro) reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (35)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (19)special occasion (19)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (11)good for groups (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Consistentlookin4goodfoodDined on 11/19/2014This was my second time here in a few months. Had different entrees and appetizers, but same great food. Packed on a Wednesday night by 7.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood smorgasbord...Foodie1VIPDined on 11/17/2014Has interesting fish selection including South American lake fish. The menu is comprehensive, the food is attractively presented, properly cooked and tasty. The restaurant decor is attractive. We had Bronzino and Halibut--both quite good. The owner is attentive and helpful, the waitstaff less so. We were not checked for extended periods and had to initiate contact for service. Overall, a good choice and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find in Rosslyn.HappyEaterDined on 11/15/2014Lots of choices on the menu including great seafood choices. Was very impressed with the option to ask for a "small" plate vs. the usual restaurant way too much food on the plate. Wine list is great with options for wines we were not familiar with that were very good. Staff does not hurry you along making the dinner relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/11/2014This was my first time here and I was very impressed. We got to sit outside - great! All fresh no chemical foods. PEI mussels were delicious and the grilled tomato and eggplant with mozzerla was grilled perfectly. Lovely wait staff who were attentive without interrupting. You must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LoveGoodFoodDined on 11/7/2014Every time we go to Mele we absolutely love it. The food is amazing, the atmosphere is cool and relaxed, and the owner is wonderful and always out talking to customers and checking in on everyone. The service can be a bit slow at times, but the staff is always friendly and knowledgeable about the menu - we never mind waiting because we just enjoy being there and savoring the delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Our List of FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2014My husband and I are very excited to have discovered Mele Bistro. We enjoyed a delicious dinner and appreciated not only the excellent food but the relaxed pace of our dining experience. We plan on returning soon but in the future will request a table not adjacent to the bar.Special Features:
- Lovely, quiet neighborhood spotTessDined on 11/2/2014This restaurant is small and homey with pleasant, rustic decor. The service was exceptional, there was a wide variety of food choices which were well-prepared and delicious. I will make this a favorite.Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodEMcKChicagoVIPDined on 10/26/2014The fresh fish flown in from Hawaii was outstanding. Perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be scaredproductjenVIPDined on 10/25/2014I read a lot of negative reviews before trying this restaurant. Let me say that we did not experience any of the issues that I had read about. Our service was very good and our meals were delivered promptly. Even better, everything was delicious. My only complaint would be that the menu was very convaluted and confusing. Our waiter, while very polite and attentive, was very difficult to understand so we were kind of on our own while trying to figure it out. Otherwise it was a terrific meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tight but pleasantBernieDined on 10/25/2014The size of the restaurant is small but the food is very good. They offer a Small Plate for most of their meals which is very adequate and appreciated. The food taste was very good. They have an extensive fish menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishDognipVIPDined on 10/18/2014Mele flys in fish from Hawaii every day. Selection is wonderful and preparation excellent.Special Features:
- Worth the typical waitOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014I've been to Mele Bistro 3 times now. It takes forever for your meal to come out, but it's always so delicious, I haven't complained. If they could work on the speed of service, it'd be the full package.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceBusyOnTheGoDined on 10/17/2014Farm to table dining at its best. Wonderful host/owner and great staff. Daily specials are always great and the menu can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dickVIPDined on 10/11/2014wife ordered grilled trout....smaller fried trout was delivered...overdone and dry...large crowd should not impact quality of food
- What a gem!!LindaDined on 10/10/2014We were visiting Arlington and the DC area for the weekend. We made reservations but weren't seated for almost 30 minutes. The owner was very apologetic and invited us to sit at one of their outdoor tables and have a cocktail (on them). Once seated for dinner, the owner comes to your table to explain the menu. We received a warm greeting when we arrived, had a friendly, knowledgeable and attentive server, there is a wide variety of menu options and, the chef is extremely creative. Everything was amazing! Do not miss this little gem which boasts farm to table lamb, organically fed beef, fresh fish flown in from Hawaii and many traditional Italian options. If you’re in the Arlington area, Mele Bistro is a must.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantGigi56Dined on 10/2/2014This restaurant recently took over this space and has transformed it beautifully. They have both small and large plate versions of many of their dishes which makes it nice if you have a smaller appetite or if you want to try more than dish. The staff are friendly too. The only thing that was humdrum were the desserts which were a selection of mostly cheesecakes.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem near Rosslyn...GregDined on 9/30/2014Have been to Mele Bistro twice now -- we live within walking distance. The food is great, with very high quality ingredients. They also have a good selection of fish you don't fund everywhere, like Anu flown in from Hawaii. The only drawbacks are that the table service is a bit slow -- not a place to go if you are in a hurry, and the portions are somewhat small. But it's a great place to go for a leisurely dinner with friends for those who live in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Consistently goodAgentSmithVIPDined on 9/30/2014I have occasional business lunches at Mele and find the food to be consistently good. The menu is too long and confusing, but once one knows that it's many of the same dishes in different sizes, it isn't so daunting. Fish is the star. I recently had Florida snapper that was perfectly cooked and seasoned, and served with delicious seasoned rice. Prices are reasonable, the host is accommodating and the setting is relaxing. Service can be slow, which seems more do to the kitchen than the wait staff. So, pretend you are in Greece, Italy or Spain and enjoy - the food and ambiance are worth the wait.Special Features:
- A personal favoritepcancvaVIPDined on 9/29/2014I've been to Mele Bistro several times and I've never been disappointed! Great food (extensive menu), friendly staff, nice atmosphere, and reasonable prices. Hmmm... Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm ready to go back...again!Special Features:
- A must dining experience.FrackmeDined on 9/24/2014Food was fresh and delicious with a varied selection Choosing just one entree was very difficult. I selected the lamb sirloin and it was cooked to perfection and was scrumptious. I was there for a special birthday and I was very pleased with my choice. For your next special occasion Mele Bistro is the place to go. You will be glad you did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMLizababy18Dined on 9/20/2014Everything at this place is outstanding..from the warm greeting when you arrive, to the servers, the menu and fresh ingredients to the chef's creativity. Do not miss this tiny gem which boasts farm to table lamb, organically fed beef and fresh fish flown in from Hawaii and other amazing selections!!!Special Features:
- New name, same excellent restaurantPhilDined on 9/19/2014Although the name has changed the food and service is still as good if not better. The fresh seafood is amazing and the other menu items are also very good. The wine list has a good selection of wines that pair well with the food. Definitely would recommend checking Mele out.Special Features:
- Help yourself?ManhattersDined on 9/17/2014Service was pretty poor. Repeatedly asked for oil (for bread--everyone else had it) and water. Waiter kept saying 'I'll get that now' and didn't. I finally had to get up and go inside for assistance. He was very flakey and scattered. I noticed another diner repeatedly asking for his check. That took about 10 minutes. Unacceptable. My partner liked his halibut, but my chicken parm was too thick and somewhat dry. The pasta gravy is very sweet; not to my liking. Glad we tried it, but there are many more much better restaurants in Rosslyn. No need to go back. Manhattans were tiny, with no twist, and not dry, as requested.
- Inexplicably poor serviceMYSCDined on 9/11/2014I wanted to love this place, I really did. The evening started off with a warm welcome from the owner and an explanation of the organics-oriented, vast menu. We were asked if we wanted something to drink but not given menus until we asked. We never quite knew who our server was. When our orders were taken, it took 55 minutes for even an appetizer to appear. No server checked on us, and I had to ask about the appetizers. It took another 45 minutes for our entrees to appear. To the restaurant's credit, when complaints were raised, they responded, but, our meal took 2.5 hours on a Thurs, for no apparent reason. The food was fine but can't compensate for the serious deficiencies in service.
- OutstandingDDlovesfoodDined on 9/9/2014Mele Restaurant has a wonderful ambiance, truly delicious and interesting food, and excellent service!Special Features:
- Delicious!CathyGDined on 8/29/2014The food was fresh, presented nicely, and had ample portions. The fish was excellent. The best dish was the eggplant rattitoie appetizer. The service was leisurely but appropriate for our group. We would go back.Special Features:
- JeffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great experience huge menu may need to reduce a bit. But would go again when up in Northern VaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding lamb and serviceFrankDined on 8/21/2014The salad ,lamb and desert were outstanding along with the excellent service . Thanks for a great evening with our friends . FrankSpecial Features:
- If only you could parkNancyVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have been drinking and dining at this location for many years - it's a great location, small and intimate tucked into a strip mall. The choices are plentiful, and the food is quite good. Service was not exceptional, and the final bill was a bit pricey. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland everythingKurtDined on 8/15/2014Date night out, good reviews on open table lead me to think it was a nice Italian place. It was a nice atmosphere but very busy and slow to get us menus or a waiter to take our order (though they did give us bread and water immediately and the owner was going table to table apologizing for the speed). This would have been okay but once we did get food it had very little flavor. My wife, who never has salt and pepper went back to the shakers 4-5 times to try to give herself some taste. Just generally unimpressive, nothing was horrible. Spending $80-90, ordering 4 different small plates we hoped to really like something, but it didn't happen. Perhaps we just didn't order the right things, but the menu isn't helpful if there are favorites.
- excellent special foodsFrankDined on 8/13/2014We ordered at reservation time loin of lamb for 4 . It was perfectly cooked and delicious . Ordered flowers thru OpenTable and they were at our table , on time and beautiful . Thanks all who made it a lovely evening for us . FrankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- egurianDined on 8/13/2014This is a charming restaurant with a huge menu and everything very well prepared. Lovely people serving if a little slow and chaotic but all in good humor. It feels like a special neighborhood place with a lovely ambiance. Just don't expect crisp and efficient but why would you go there for that. Laid back, a little ditzy, and good cheer seemed just right. Will certainly go back.Special Features:
- A wonderful, comfortable eveningtasteecakesDined on 8/13/2014We were in Arlington for 2 days and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor. It was in walking distance of our hotel and it was a beautiful evening so we trekked over. We were greeted warmly. The menu was clearly explained. We were there early so there was only one wait person and we experienced a little bit of a delay when other patrons came in. The food was exceptional and I was especially enamored with the option of smaller plates of the entrees. This was perfect for both of us with an appetizer. A complimentary after dinner drink was offered. The best part was the owner Frank who treated us like gold and shared his journey with us. We will definitely return and allow Frank to make us happy diners once again.Special Features:
- Great Find in ArlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014The food, the owner and his staff go above and beyond with the freshest of ingredients and service.Special Features:
- A Passion for FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014I found this based on Yelp ratings and want more people to know about it. It looks a little out of place in a mini strip mall; however, once inside the passion the waits-staff, manager & owners have for food is prominent. The best Snapper I've had in years. Everything we had was wonderful from the mussel to the kale soup and especially the main course. We were a mixed bunch of 8 out after work and everyone had a pleasant meal.Special Features:
- Seafood excellent a little priceyTravelingSenoritaDined on 8/3/2014A charming patio for outdoor dining and a friendly wait staff. Our party of four enjoyed their entrees which were excellent. The sauces on the Alaskan salmon were wonderful. Unfortunately, the Caesar salad was ordinary and the draft beer list was disappointing and too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VictorDined on 7/27/2014Unexpectedly great find. Pleasant atmosphere and fabulous food. Looking for a fine dining in Rosslyn? Go here and try it out. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- The following 202 reviews are from the Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro) reviews archive.
- Great Seafood SelectionmasnalidiningDined on 7/18/2014My girlfriend and I went out to dinner and it was very good. We only eat seafood and luckily they have an amazing selection. Great food, service started rough but they cleaned it up at the end, overall a very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for date night!FooD77VIPDined on 7/18/2014I recently tried this place and I was happy with my choice. The ambiance is avarage..it's a pretty cozy and romantic place. The owner made sure that we're happy with the food and service. I will visit this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnBJohnBDined on 7/15/2014Superb wine list; excellent food. Owner took time to explain food origins and preparation in detail. With only two servers, attention to customers was a bit lagging, but we weren't in a hurry. Highly recommended.Special Features: