Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
1723 Wilson Blvd
Arlington, VA 22209Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.villagebistro.com/
- Phone: 7035220284
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro)
"...Our menu is just a reference for you-but in reality, creativity is in our hearts, our minds, and our kitchen, let me give you a different dining experience..."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro) reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (35)great for outdoor dining (26)special occasion (23)romantic (18)good for groups (17)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (11)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Inexplicably poor serviceMYSCDined on 9/11/2014I wanted to love this place, I really did. The evening started off with a warm welcome from the owner and an explanation of the organics-oriented, vast menu. We were asked if we wanted something to drink but not given menus until we asked. We never quite knew who our server was. When our orders were taken, it took 55 minutes for even an appetizer to appear. No server checked on us, and I had to ask about the appetizers. It took another 45 minutes for our entrees to appear. To the restaurant's credit, when complaints were raised, they responded, but, our meal took 2.5 hours on a Thurs, for no apparent reason. The food was fine but can't compensate for the serious deficiencies in service.
- OutstandingDDlovesfoodDined on 9/9/2014Mele Restaurant has a wonderful ambiance, truly delicious and interesting food, and excellent service!Special Features:
- Delicious!CathyGDined on 8/29/2014The food was fresh, presented nicely, and had ample portions. The fish was excellent. The best dish was the eggplant rattitoie appetizer. The service was leisurely but appropriate for our group. We would go back.Special Features:
- JeffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great experience huge menu may need to reduce a bit. But would go again when up in Northern VaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding lamb and serviceFrankDined on 8/21/2014The salad ,lamb and desert were outstanding along with the excellent service . Thanks for a great evening with our friends . FrankSpecial Features:
- If only you could parkNancyVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have been drinking and dining at this location for many years - it's a great location, small and intimate tucked into a strip mall. The choices are plentiful, and the food is quite good. Service was not exceptional, and the final bill was a bit pricey. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland everythingKurtDined on 8/15/2014Date night out, good reviews on open table lead me to think it was a nice Italian place. It was a nice atmosphere but very busy and slow to get us menus or a waiter to take our order (though they did give us bread and water immediately and the owner was going table to table apologizing for the speed). This would have been okay but once we did get food it had very little flavor. My wife, who never has salt and pepper went back to the shakers 4-5 times to try to give herself some taste. Just generally unimpressive, nothing was horrible. Spending $80-90, ordering 4 different small plates we hoped to really like something, but it didn't happen. Perhaps we just didn't order the right things, but the menu isn't helpful if there are favorites.
- excellent special foodsFrankDined on 8/13/2014We ordered at reservation time loin of lamb for 4 . It was perfectly cooked and delicious . Ordered flowers thru OpenTable and they were at our table , on time and beautiful . Thanks all who made it a lovely evening for us . FrankSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- egurianDined on 8/13/2014This is a charming restaurant with a huge menu and everything very well prepared. Lovely people serving if a little slow and chaotic but all in good humor. It feels like a special neighborhood place with a lovely ambiance. Just don't expect crisp and efficient but why would you go there for that. Laid back, a little ditzy, and good cheer seemed just right. Will certainly go back.Special Features:
- A wonderful, comfortable eveningtasteecakesDined on 8/13/2014We were in Arlington for 2 days and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor. It was in walking distance of our hotel and it was a beautiful evening so we trekked over. We were greeted warmly. The menu was clearly explained. We were there early so there was only one wait person and we experienced a little bit of a delay when other patrons came in. The food was exceptional and I was especially enamored with the option of smaller plates of the entrees. This was perfect for both of us with an appetizer. A complimentary after dinner drink was offered. The best part was the owner Frank who treated us like gold and shared his journey with us. We will definitely return and allow Frank to make us happy diners once again.Special Features:
- Great Find in ArlingtonOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014The food, the owner and his staff go above and beyond with the freshest of ingredients and service.Special Features:
- A Passion for FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014I found this based on Yelp ratings and want more people to know about it. It looks a little out of place in a mini strip mall; however, once inside the passion the waits-staff, manager & owners have for food is prominent. The best Snapper I've had in years. Everything we had was wonderful from the mussel to the kale soup and especially the main course. We were a mixed bunch of 8 out after work and everyone had a pleasant meal.Special Features:
- Seafood excellent a little priceyTravelingSenoritaDined on 8/3/2014A charming patio for outdoor dining and a friendly wait staff. Our party of four enjoyed their entrees which were excellent. The sauces on the Alaskan salmon were wonderful. Unfortunately, the Caesar salad was ordinary and the draft beer list was disappointing and too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VictorDined on 7/27/2014Unexpectedly great find. Pleasant atmosphere and fabulous food. Looking for a fine dining in Rosslyn? Go here and try it out. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great for date night!FooD77VIPDined on 7/18/2014I recently tried this place and I was happy with my choice. The ambiance is avarage..it's a pretty cozy and romantic place. The owner made sure that we're happy with the food and service. I will visit this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood SelectionmasnalidiningDined on 7/18/2014My girlfriend and I went out to dinner and it was very good. We only eat seafood and luckily they have an amazing selection. Great food, service started rough but they cleaned it up at the end, overall a very good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnBJohnBDined on 7/15/2014Superb wine list; excellent food. Owner took time to explain food origins and preparation in detail. With only two servers, attention to customers was a bit lagging, but we weren't in a hurry. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- fresh and quality foodsergeguevDined on 7/14/2014Very good place to go with friends, the food is freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemHappyCustomerDined on 7/13/2014We are BIG fans of Mele Bistro and we, once again, enjoyed a fabulous birthday celebration dinner for my husband on Sunday night. Frank always goes above and beyond. The food, the service, the wine, the atmosphere are all great and really fun! This little gem is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not how to run a restaurant!townieDined on 7/13/2014We dined on Saturday night in July. The dining room is lovely, and was about a third full. The food was very good, but service is poor. No menus are given until you have been sitting for 15 minutes. Three waitstaff bustle about but are all able to assume (wrongly) that the others are taking care of your table. More PROFESSIONAL servers are needed. One server should be responsible for a table, making sure things flow smoothly. Diners want to feel catered to, not ignored and stressed, wondering if the menu/entree/waiter will ever show up. The ultimate insult was when the delicious sounding mussels special I ordered (but didn't get) was delivered to another table, that had arrived after us! This restaurant has potential, but will not last.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014The food was fantastic. Each dish came out on it's own special plate and everyone really enjoyed their dinner. The service was very laid back. The owner himself greeted us and served us. I wouldn't call the service slow but don't pick this place if you are in a hurry. The intent is to enjoy a wonderful meal and drinks. The menu will eventually come and you'll have to ask for the bill. Would love to eat there again when I'm in the area and would highly recommend it. You could easily find something in your price range.Special Features:
- Claire schoonoverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and very nice atmosphere, my husband had the mussels and said they were the best he's ever had. Service was terrific and small plates with an appitizer were perfect size for lighter appetites. Pasta dishes were fresh and correctly cooked, one of the party was vegetarian and was able to easily find dishes to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh foodLoveDCDined on 7/7/2014We started with the owner enthusiastically explaining the menu which is a bit complicated with smaller plates, regular entrees & the 'old menu' posted on individual sides of the menu. It was difficult to understand him given the noise level at dinner time. Food is all freshly prepared and carefully selected and obviously the owner is quite proud of that. With that said, the small plate pasta (bolognese) dish was just that - small, fresh, but could have used at least a small side salad or vegetable. My husband had a steak and was pleased with the taste and presentation but even at the regular portion, it wasn't overally large. Maybe we've gotten spoiled by larger portions elsewhere? We will return for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Great FoodBethancourtVIPDined on 7/3/2014Mele has great food however their service is so slow. They really need to hire more waiters/waitress.Special Features:
- Great FishAlohaLouieVIPDined on 7/2/2014My wife asked about the salmon and the waiter brought out a whole fish to show how fresh it was. She ordered salmon and reported that it was among the best salmon dishes she had ever had.Special Features:
- Great FoodDiscerningDined on 7/1/2014I really enjoyed the food, the choices, the excellent presentation and variety. I highly recommend Mele Bistro to the discerning diner. Their oysters were amazing, freshly shucked to order and kept in their natural brine. The fish choices were great and I finished with cheese, which they did especially for me! The owner was attentive and also very caring and impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceJDIT1087Dined on 6/28/2014We visited Mele Bistro while in town for a Washington DC vacation. Given we weren't familiar with the area, we relied heavily upon other diners' ratings. If you like seafood, this is your place! Lots of interesting options and very fresh! The menu can be a bit confusing, as they've kept the old one from Village Bistro and have added on to it. Even after an explanation by our waiter, we were still feeling a bit confused, but ended up being very happy with our meals. Others have commented on the service. We didn't have any issue with the service, and found our waitstaff to be attentive, although they do operate on more of European model of dining. Beautiful interior, but it was a little loud when we first arrived. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeleEzraDined on 6/28/2014Great selection of dishes. Especially good for seafoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another visitHarrietDined on 6/27/2014The food was tasty if not fabulous. The bread was excellent. The waiter was hard to understand and though he was clear about what I ordered, and he ultimately rectified it, the kitchen didn't send what had been ordered. It didn't come with the rest of the food; the timing was off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but hidden spicyFoodFanVIPDined on 6/27/2014Mele offers a good variety on its menu, but the descriptions leave some questions unanswered. Likewise, the waiter's accent made him difficult to understand, which made it hard to decide what I wanted. I asked about side veggies and expressed my distaste for spicy foods, to which he assured me the veggies were not spiced. However, given the concern I expressed, he did not identify that my choice was quite spicy and suggest I choose differently. I expressed my displeasure with the manager and he commented that they don't bring the check until we ask for it and said he wanted customers to be satisfied, but didn't offer a concession. Overall, not bad and my girlfriend really enjoyed her scallops. Give it a try and decide for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014Food was beautifully presented but over seasoned and did not taste fresh.Special Features:
- MeleDining101Dined on 6/18/2014Great food and ambiance. The only problem was there were only two servers- felt bad for them but they managed. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really great experienceCCMD5Dined on 6/15/2014We were a large party, and Mele offered plenty of choices to please a variety of finicky eaters. All our food was excellent with a couple of merely-good exceptions, but nothing disappointing. Almond-crusted Brazilian some-kind-of-fish with risotto was especially delicious. The menu is a little confusing, but love the option of large or small plates of most entrees (small plates were plenty of food for each of us and helped keep the price within reason). Some of us thought the decor was nice but a bit over the top, others loved it. The service was friendly and enthusiastic, staff apologetic, clearly cared when it was very occasionally spotty. We felt warmly welcomed, free to take our leisurely time, and eager to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findYummyDined on 5/24/2014We were able to walk here from our hotel and we had a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMagnusDined on 5/24/2014A really fine French restaurant in a relaxed, neighborhood setting. The food is superb, the service excellent, and the ambience pleasant. You don't have to trek into D.C. and fight the traffic in order to enjoy a first-rate dining experience. A good choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Mele Bistro (formerly Village Bistro) reviews archive.
- Formerly Four StarsNFH1VIPDined on 5/17/2014Maybe we just really liked the food, service and vibe of Village Bistro so when the change occurred we were disappointed? But facts are facts: the service was slow, very slow even at 6 PM, we had to ask for napkins and silverware, I had to walk into the restaurant from my table out front to ask to have our water glasses refilled and our waiter "disappeared" after our meal was served, never asked how our food was and another person brought us our check when we requested it. The food was only okay in two respects: My snapper was pan fried and very overdone while my wife's grouper was cooked okay. The other issue is she had a small plate and I had a regular and we got the same amount of fish, I just got an extra side.
- Nice surpriseFun2dineDined on 5/16/2014We knew nothing about Mele but just luckily found it online. There were 6 of us dining and we all had excellent meals. Their fish dishes were wonderful. Service was very good. What a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 5/11/2014If you love fish, this is the place to be. They offer a wide range of fish selections. We celebrated Mother's Day here. All of us ordered different kinds of fish as entrees. We enjoyed very bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/6/2014Food is good but dinner takes a long time. In most cases, probably not worth the wait but met our needs this particular night.
- Music So Loud It Ruined the EveningCAC25VIPDined on 4/26/2014We have loved this restaurant in the past, but with the new name came new decor and the addition of a speaker system that is on par to being at a concert. We had a table of six and literally could not hear each other speak. We asked our waiter twice to turn it down and it was not until the very end of our meal that he complied. At that point, there were only two tables left in the restaurant (10 PM) so we guess that is why. When they were playing the theme from Titanic, we really couldn't believe our ears. Reminded me of being at the movie theatre. It truly ruined our dinner with out of town friends. It is too bad, because the food is fantastic.