Melange - Ann Arbor
312 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
Melange - Ann Arbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.melangebistro.com/
- Phone: 7342220202x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:00pm to 6:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Late Night Menu: Thursday - Saturday until 1:00am
Lounge: Monday - Wednesday 4:00pm - 11:00AM, Thursday - Saturday 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Christopher K. Wanke
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Mélange Catering is a full service, off premise
catering company dedicated to providing exceptional
seasonal ingredients. From elegant food and attentive
service, to rentals and entertainment we cover
everything so you can enjoy your event. Our staff will
work with you at our no-cost consultations to plan
and custom tailor your event, exceed your expectations,
bringing the Mélange experience to you!
- Private Party Facilities: Melange has a 40 person private room with a 77 inch projection screen. Complete with sound proof walls & all the hook ups for any presentation you may need. We also offer an intimate private dining room that accomodates up to ten people.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Wanke 7342220202x
- Entertainment: Live music on Wednesday evenings. DJ spinning in our ultra lounge on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings from 10pm - 2am.
- Special Events: Please contact Laura at 734-222-0202 to plan your special event.
A word from Melange - Ann Arbor
The Mélange experience is our interpretation of the fusion of thought, cuisine and culture that surrounds and embraces us all. Let us take you on a tour of the emerging global spirit with a flair for the eccentric and eclectic as we strive to provide a Uniquely Mélange Experience for all. Bon Appétit!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Melange - Ann Arbor - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Melange - Ann Arbor reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
romantic (59)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (45)notable wine list (34)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (15)hot spot (13)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- MehlangeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014Meh. Wanted the cheese plate as an appetizer...they were out of cheese. Crab cakes were lukewarm. Salads were uninspiring. Barrimundi was ok. Skipped dessert. Seems like Melange has slipped from one of the better places in A2 to an also ran.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014In Ann Arbor for a wedding, went to Melange on a recommendation. We loved it, Beer was ice cold, Firecracker sushi roll and short ribs absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulFrankDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner here on Saturday night. We thought we would give this place a try rather than the usual Ann Arbor suspects. It was excellent. We has appetizers, sushi and dessert. Everything was great. The tuna was seared on a hot rock table side for a unique presentation. The crab cakes had a nice asian kick which was a nice change of pace. The sushi was fresh and vibrant in flavor. Dessert was nice because you could have small portions which kept the guilt to a minimum. The service was excellent. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat out often; May not returneatathomeDined on 8/14/2014I had the crab cakes and was very disappointed.......no one seemed overly pleased the macaroons were great
- ConsistentThepaneatsDined on 8/13/2014We have never been disappointed at Melange. Food is excellent. Atmosphere is comfortable, a relaxed contemporary design. Wait staff is attentive, but relaxed. Our wait person was knowledgeable about the wine list, giving us a description of our selection so we were able to order the wine we were looking for.Special Features:
- No MagicnexttimeDined on 8/9/2014To be honest, we tried to get a reservation at Pacific Rim but they were full (for good reason). Saw the menu for Melange and read their "mission statement". Sounded like it had a Pacific Rim "vibe". We gave it a try. Very disappointed. The service was great but the food lacked originality and finesse: soba noodles with a thick, spicy cream sauce and dry tofu that was sprinkled with some kind artificial spices. Duck that was cooked medium rare (as ordered) but was drowned in a thick black sauce. That meal was served with a rice-a-roni-type dish and pile of green beans with salt and butter.The presentation of the food was heavy-handed with a bit of a "steak house" feel. No magic. Not worth the money. Go to Pacific Rim.
- dinner with a purchased voucherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014the server did care about our table maybe due to that we were using a purchased voucher since a 20% tip will be added to the whole bill anyway. no bread served if we did not ask for.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014Good selection, of food, mojitios were awesome, drinks prices a little high, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLakasousoDined on 8/8/2014All selections are fantastic and each are able to stand on their own, even the appetizers. I especially enjoyed the lamp chop, crab cake, and duck nachos. The starting bread was also delicious. Stunning meal. 9.5/10Special Features:
- Not what I expected - in a good wayFetaLovingGreekGuyDined on 8/1/2014It's dark. Not in mood but it's located in the lower level of a building on Main St. We we're greeted by a friendly hosted who seated us in a very 80's pleather booth. We giggle as we opened the menus to find they were back lit. I guess others also found it dark. The food was good. We had some great recommendations (burning man sushi roll and the tuna river rock) from our waiter. Our our main courses we 're the sea bass which was cooked perfectly and the Melange salad with the addition of scallops again seared and cooked perfectly, My only complaint would be that the sea bass dish was a little on the salty side. Dessert included a trio of vanilla bean creme brulee, s'more parfait and cheese cake. All pretty average.Special Features:
- Friday night dinnerCitychicVIPDined on 8/1/2014Another great meal at an under-rated restaurant. First of all the service is constantly flawless. Second the food is exceptional. This time I tried the scallops and feel in love. What a wonderful dish. Companions had the lamb (always a great choice) and the salmon. I find their seafood to be exceptional. I started my meal with the Melange salad and finished with a small lemon cream brulee. I would eat at this restaurant every week.Special Features:
- DisappointedfinderskeepersDined on 7/19/2014Our sushi and barramundi fish, as well as service after the food was served, were disappointing, along with the small choice of entrees. The rooms, down a flight of stairs, had insufficient lighting to see safely when walking in some areas. 4inannarbor
- SarahDined on 7/17/2014Our dinner was great! Barramundi was especially yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly EmptysandraandersonDined on 7/16/2014We thought that it would be impossible to get a reservation during the Ann Arbor Art Fair. Turns out most people don't go out to dinner. So we were very lucky to eat at Melange and have excellent service. The samosas and duck nachos were especially good. Excellent server in Corey. Quiet so had good conversation as we sat over our Malbec and excellent mini-parfaits.Special Features:
- Melange A2KermitKDined on 7/14/2014Have been to Melange many times. Soup was great, so were our drinks. My chicken for the Thai pasta was a little rubbery, but my companion's scallops were divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oriental HidewayLuvVarietyDined on 7/12/2014Given that this restaurant is downstairs, it does not get the notoriety of the other restaurants on Main Street. The food was very good, especially the Red Dragon Roll Sushi and the Sea Bass.
- Melange is wonderful!grendelVIPDined on 7/10/2014The menu is rather limited at this restaurant, but that must mean that everything is prepared individually and expertly. The food is very good, with a mix of Asian, American, and other cuisines. My barramundi was super as was my husband's sushi. Drinks are appropriately strong ( I hate it when I get drinks that taste watered down). The service was adequate, not spectacular. I felt like the waiter was simply paying his dues.Special Features:
- Food and Service were excellenttenoradminDined on 7/8/2014This was our first visit and this is a very nice restaurant for a special occasion, romantic dinner or wine and dine a business colleague. They have an extensive and impressive wine list. Our server was very good - just the right level of attention without being intrusive but still personable and likable and helped direct our choices when appropriate. The food was very good and we enjoyed everything.Special Features:
- romantic wedding nightApeAndPrincessDined on 6/28/2014I don't normally do ratings, but we got such a good deal, and they were so friendly and accommodating, that I feel I owe them at least that. And the scallop and shrimp dish was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Buckeye in Ann ArborBriskokidDined on 6/27/2014I live in Cleveland which has an incredible food scene, and I was very impressed by the restaurant selection in AA. Melange is surprisingly large, which helped us get a 7:30 reservation on a busy Friday. Very eclectic menu--steak/tuna on a hot rock, sushi apps and sea bass in sweet soy. All was excellent and the service was flawless. The manager came over after the meal and he was extremely friendly and helpful--he gave us a great recommendation to a late night speakeasy (The Last Word) down the street. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- lovely quietrestaurantmavenDined on 6/27/2014Wonder choices in wine and food. ambiance and service were superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome WaitorKadsDined on 6/26/2014I can't remember his name, but he was awesome! So friendly, treated us very well :) This guy was awesome and I appreciated all he did! The food was very good, and it was a really neat atmosphere.
- Ann Arbor Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/25/2014Offered good selections and all food was delicious! My first time at Melange and I felt I was in a high scale restaurant in Las Vegas. Love the private booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/23/2014Quiet reserved setting that is very nice. Great service and fabulous food presentation. Menu choices are very unique.Special Features:
- FoodDiDined on 6/22/2014We tried the restaurant for the first time for dinner at the start of Restaurant Week, June 2014 The beef was the best I've had in Ann Arbor (and I've lived here for 30 years): succulent, tender, flavorful, and cooked to perfection. The service was excellent, too. I highly recommend Melange and we'll definitely be going back!Special Features:
- Mixed experienceChrisDined on 6/6/2014Very good food, different flavors. Before 10pm, smooth music, romantic atmosphere. However, after 10pm they started electronic music at the bar with DJ. Too loud for a confined place. Didn't match the romantic mood my dinner had. Good tip: if you want enjoy the good food in a calm ambient, schedule a early dinner and leave before 10pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinersMaryVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great find. Wonderful seafood and great service. Will definitely be back to try the sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner spotChurchillDined on 5/24/2014This is a great place for a cozy dinner for two, a fun / elegant dinner with a group of friends, or even a place to catch up as a family. The lighted menus are cool and helpful! Great spot!
- Quiet and personaldatenightVIPDined on 5/23/2014Melange is one of the best restaurants in Ann Arbor for consistent food excellence, a great wine and cocktail list, and wonderful service. It also is a place where you can more easilgy find a table on a Friday night which seems surprising given the quality. Possibly in spring the draw of outside dining probably keeps people out of the dark and wine-cellar like atmosphere of Melange. The food selections include Asian-fusion including sushi, but there are also several excellent fish and meat items to choose from. The duck nachos appetizer is filling and delicious. On this particular visit we both ordered fish entrees, which were expertly prepared and presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably good interesting menuthomps97VIPDined on 5/20/2014We were there with a party of 8 on a Tuesday night. We had superb service and enjoyed the live entertainment. As always, we ordered the famous duck nachos. Most of us had a fish (salmon, sea bass, or baramundi). The plates are well prepared. Menu changes regularly. One real plus is that one can get a very small dessert ($3), which is a nice treat when you just want a few bites.Special Features:
- Hidden GemKKinAADined on 5/19/2014Our first time at this restaurant and we both would be happy to recommend it to friends. Not an overly extensive menu, but interesting offerings - not too exotic, pretentious, or unpronounceable. Absolutely something for everyone, expertly prepared. Cocktails seem VERY small (but maybe it was the glass? Not overly iced or watered down, in any case, so that was good.) Superb service, delightful atmosphere. No more expensive than any place else in town. Love the bar lighted from underneath, and the backlit menus, too. We joked that all the menu needs is a magnifying overlay for myopic middle-agers! We really enjoyed our visit!Special Features:
- good & baddanny1976Dined on 5/11/2014We came for mothers day me & my wife the food my wife had ordered had onions & she cant have ANY onions she told the waiter as well did I please make sure no onions food came out she started eating & found onions all in it its mothers day & she is picking all the onions out of her food cause the waiter had not been back since we ordered over 20 minutes also she ordered a salad we never got BUT we didn't get charged when the waiter came back to us I explained the food & he stated lucky its free to for moms & kept it short truly don't know if I will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day dreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We took our 7 and 9 year olds for their first fancy sit down dinner. Mothers ate free for Mother's Day. Staff was great and food amazing. Now our kids want sea bass every day at home :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPhoodiepanDined on 5/11/2014My wife and I and brother and sister in-law had Mother's day dinner at Melange. Food selection was good. We had the lettuce wrap and samosas for appetizers. Good taste, the lettuce wrap filling was a little bit too saucy and hence on the salty side. I ordered the beef short rib which was quite good - very tender and good taste. My wife ordered the special dinner dish of scallops on risotto. Although she didn't say much, I could see that she wasn't too impressed by it and decided to take half of it home. Overall, while the dish selection certainly is interesting, the food taste and experience is rather average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodBakersDined on 5/11/2014While anytime is good to go to Melange, their Mother's Day offer was too good to pass up. Adding to the usually great food was the experience of a poet for a waiter who also matched the wine to our meal and provided us with just the right amount of attention. Why sit out on the curb when you can have the ambience of a truly fine restaurant?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experience!lyehDined on 5/11/2014We went to Melange for the first time for Mothers Day and we had a wonderful experience. Our waitor, Pat, was hilarious and made us laugh the entire time! He was so respectful and quick, even though it was super busy. The food was unique and delicious, and a pretty big portion. We had a fantastic and memorable experience! Thank you Melange for making Mothers Day so great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/10/2014At our table we ordered the lamb, duck, sea bass and branzino, all were nicely prepared (lots of cross the table tasting) and everyone enjoyed their dishes. Great service was great and very helpful. Will definitey go back!Special Features:
- Girls NightKadsDined on 5/9/2014Had a great girls night here with my friends. The chef was awesome for making a gluten free version of the buffalo sushi for me. Awesome location.
- great surprisemickDined on 5/9/2014i assumed this was a late night young crowd hang-out which (at least if you arrive early) was not the case. prompt, friendly service, a great menu, incredible cocktails, and not terribly noisy. just what we love. keep it up.Special Features:
- Fantastic !!JDJDVIPDined on 5/7/2014I don't know how we overlooked this gem previously. The food was outstanding as was the service. This is an odd compliment, but they have menus that should be industry standard. The menus are backlit, so even in a darkened space, you can see clearly the offerings. Only slight average grade would go to their "American Sushi". We tried it as an appetizer just for curiosity due to name and thought the rice overwhelmed the steak...meaning just too much rice on wrap. We had salmon, sea bass, the cheese board, and deserts. All were excellent !!Special Features:
- The following 568 reviews are from the Melange - Ann Arbor reviews archive.