Megu New York
62 Thomas Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Megu New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.megurestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2129647777x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday, 6:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday-Saturday, 6:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For private catering needs, please contact Jaime Dávalos - Events Dept, at 212.964.2171 x114.
- Special Events: Jaime Dávalos - Events Dept, at 212.964.2171 x114.
A word from Megu New York
Rated by the New York Daily News as the most stunning restaurant in New York, Megu takes each diner on a sensual journey through the culinary delights of Japan! The finest organic ingredients from across the globe arrive in our kitchen daily. Dishes are brought to your table as an array of dazzling culinary creations. Enjoy delicacies like our premium sushi & sashimi & Kobe Beef, cooked slowly using our unique Bincho-Tan Charcoal Grill. You'll be in ecstasy as flavors mingle to tease & tantalize, ending in a taste bud climax that releases UMAMI, the intensely satisfying flavor concealed within.Continued
Our elegantly appointed dining room is the perfect backdrop for dinner, with a wine list featuring over 400 selections, and 50 Sakes by the glass!
Our elegantly appointed dining room is the perfect backdrop for dinner, with a wine list featuring over 400 selections, and 50 Sakes by the glass!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Megu New York reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (74)romantic (63)fit for foodies (62)hot spot (37)good for groups (36)neighborhood gem (24)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (7)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great ExperienceLianaDined on 10/21/2014I knew Megu would be nice because of it's hefty menu prices, however, the experience exceeded my expectations. In New York most restaurants are over priced, but at Megu, you really experience fine dining. The waiter was attentive and cordial (not pretentious). The decor was stunning and the setting completely transports you out of the city. The large booths served for an intimate dining experience. I have nothing bad to say at all but would only come back on a special occasion due to their prices.Special Features:
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014I was told that Megu was a pricey sushi place. First of all, I did not find it too pricey for what was brought to our table. The staff was superb - amazing attention to detail. Decor - frankly, this was one of the best decorated places in Gotham. Bar area, restaurant - it's as much a gallery and museum as it is a restaurant. Fried asparagus - not only was it cooked perfectly, these spears were huge and not one of them was chewy. The menu is well put together with many complimentary flavors in each section. Thanks Megu - we'll be back.Special Features:
- Still great but ...jmjrVIPDined on 10/17/2014It seems Megu is slipping in the kitchen. Not up to the esthetic it once had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Unbelievable service and food. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Always great!MlmsVIPDined on 9/29/2014I've eaten at Megu a number of times and each time I'm not disappointed. My favorite continues to be the spicy crispy shrimp hot appetizer. I tried the toro tuna tartare this time also and didn't love it quite as much. Service is consistently good and the ambience is great. Great place for date night or a friends night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive and food not that goodFoodiedoctorVIPDined on 9/27/2014Stay away from this restaurant. It is very expensive and the food is average. Very noisy and hard to hear each other.
- Celebrating a BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Service was really bad, and not just at my table i noticed the staff seemed confused, brought someone else's food to my table, brought my roll with my entree, compt my drink cause it took so long that they could serve them together, had to put my glass on the edge of table to get noticed that i needed more water, maybe it was just a bad night i hope so,,,the cod was great and the vegtable fried rice
- FabulousmaryDined on 9/23/2014The atmosphere is gorgeous. Our server Casey was so helpful and nice. The food was delicious. Great evening
- MichaelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Outstanding food. Really cool decoration. It's pricy bur for an special occasion it is worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enter the DragonBESTEAKDined on 9/6/2014This is my new Favorite dinning experience. The chef is to Sushi what Bruse Lee is to Kung Fu. Nuff said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReunionJoniBeeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Megu-our#1 choice for many yrs, we dined here several times a year. Whether dinner for 2 or 12, we have never been disappointed UNTIL THIS TIME! It has been several months since our last visit but only due to our schedules. Colleagues from Italy were visiting, they too considered Megu #1 thus our party of 6 on Fri. 9/5. We sensed a difference from the moment we arrived. We were not greeted in the usual manner & escorted to the table in a most casual way. Our waiter /clearly inexperienced. Wine arrived warm, we asked to have it chilled-20 min. later we asked where the wine was we were told in the refrigerator chilling! The temp barely any different. The food was NOT up to par- had this been our first time there would never be a second!
- Enticing. Expensive.jamdoc1Dined on 9/5/2014The food was as delectable as always. A bit pricey though. Save for a special occasion. 3 appetizers,2 rolls,1 glass of wine and a glass of sparkling water.... $165 for two persons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kobe beef is not to be missedLisaDined on 8/30/2014I've heard about kobe beef for quite some time and decided to try it at Megu. It was beyond my wildest expectations. It was the most tender, flavorful and juicy meat I've ever had. I would definitely go again just for the kobe sirloin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dinnerAlbi23Dined on 8/25/2014Very good dinner with original japanais meet and many other delicous things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularFiDiLadyVIPDined on 8/24/2014Perfection in every way. The flavors are clean, which the Japanese have always embraced as the highest level of perfection. The presentation of the food is absolutely gorgeous (although blue light ice cubes give a nod to Modern Japan). The service is spot on; water and wine are refreshed without ever being intrusive or leaving the diner feeling a refresh is overdue. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROMANTICE DINNER FOR TWO :)minyoungieDined on 8/16/2014My fiancé and I celebrated our last anniversary at Megu before we start a new chapter together. The food, the service, the atmosphere... You name it!! Everything was excellent. Everybody was so polite.. they truly made our day more special with all there service and kindness.Special Features:
- DisappointedLeftyDined on 8/15/2014The food here is bland, the ambience & presentation outdated. Do yourself (and your wallet) a favor; skip Megu and head to Nobu instead.
- Not my Usual ExperienceLisaLegalDined on 8/14/2014I have been going to Megu for years and before my last experience had nothing but incredible things to say. This time the food was amazing as usual even though the menu had changed a bit and some of my favs were gone (beef bacon wrapped brussel sprouts and a particular dessert wine),however my service was not at all what I am used to at what I would call my favorite upscale dining establishment. Our server was new, however I should never wait 26 minutes to someone to notice we are done with our meals and ready for dessert, nor should you not know the menu so that every question that was asked you have to run to the back for an answer and lastly be familiar with your wine pairings so that when asked for a suggestion you can offer one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second try, still mediocre foodgtg699uVIPDined on 8/13/2014Had gone on restaurant week a year or so ago and had a pretty unspectacular experience with the food. Nothing was bad, nothing was great, just expensive and well presented food that wasn't that flavorful. Came back to try again and did a tasting menu which was largely the same experience. The ambiance is nice and the server was decent but the food certainly isn't worth the price point.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014had omakase dinner. given reputation and price, we expected a lot. sad to say but it was nowhere near our expectation. ive been a lot of high end sushi places around the world but megu omakase was one of the worst. granted im comparing to high standard, still megu has some serious work to do...
- Megu Restaurant Week 2014LiveToEatDined on 8/11/2014Love this place. Friendly staff and delicious food. The green tea crepe cake with the green tea sauce is to die for - highly recommend it. Got the kobe steak and brinzion ?, some fish, for the restaurant week - both were delicious. Staff was knowledgeable about the menu and although it was a full house and super busy the night my party went, service was very attentive. Only complaint is probably the light air conditioning, it was was a little stuffy a one point. The noise level was on the high side but this was on a Friday night. Overall, a great experience and will def be returning.Special Features:
- Always Great Food and Service!PatrickVIPDined on 8/9/2014Megu never disappoints with their great food and sake list. HIGHLY recommend this place for and evening of great food and service. My wife and I try to explore the neighborhood more but nothing seems to compare to Megu!Special Features:
- Great food, middling serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Cool spot, excellent food. However, for the price you pay, the service is pretty bad - my dining companion asked to taste a chardonnay, dropped off a taste in a shot glass and didn't stick around to ask if she liked it/wanted a full glass/wanted a different wine. It took a while for them to get back around to us to ask about the wine. We also felt a little rushed with the order and then when we needed a little more time, it took a while to get back to us - timing was a little off. It was also a little unusual to not have little forks with the oysters we ordered as an appetizer. Also, no explanation of the fish on the sashimi that was ordered. It honestly felt like 5 star food with diner service.Special Features:
- Fals AdvertisingSantokiVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food, service and setting were excellent. However, the reason we tried Megu was because they were part of restaurant week. There was no restaurant week menu nor any mention of it and we ended up spending way more than we anticipated. Restaurant week is a great way for us to try out new restaurants without great expense, initially, as we have been very disappointed in the past. Confirming they are part of RW for dinner, I feel we were led under false pretenses. Because of this, we will not frequent them, or return. The first 2 courses were ok at best and something I make myself. The rest were great courses but it would be nice to get more than 2, one inch pieces of crab legs and 1 asparagus.
- Not recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Food portion is SUPER SMALL. We had to go out for another dinner after this. Food wasn't super impressive or anything. It was just normal. Service was a little messed up. Environment good. But the smell of the steak is everywhere in the dining area. When they fired it in the dining area in front of every table we could smell it the entire time. And the smell stick to our clothes, hair so we could still smell it after dining.
- EPIC!amidaDined on 8/2/2014It was a night to remember! Quite frankly, it was one of best Japanese experiences I had. Even tried a Japanese whiskey, Hibiki 17 Years Old, they had hidden in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 8/1/2014Taste of food is ordinal, but presentation is incredible. Ambience is modern and cool as featuring Japan. Servers are very friendly. Enjoyed tuna tartar, cognac flambé steak, and raspberry mousse of RW menu.
- VegaDined on 7/31/2014Great food as usual. Price Fixe rw menu was bigger and better than usual too. Everything was great.Special Features:
- Way over priced. Tourist centralFarmtoforkVIPDined on 7/30/2014Way over priced for sub par quality food. All farmed fish and staff had no answers to any basic questions about food origins. Waited many times to to get staffs attention.
- MindyDined on 7/28/2014Overpriced if you check its regular menu. The restaurant week food is very so so. But the service is quite decent. Probably won't go back for its regular menu since it's far too expensive.Special Features:
- MediocreTuttifruityDined on 7/28/2014My friend and I came during Restaurant Week (knowing beforehand that they have a restaurant week specific menu) and we were both not at all impressed. The dessert (we ordered the creme brûlée) was the highlight of the entire meal. We each ordered the tuna tartar, which wasn't bad, and the Kobe steak and brandzino as our entrees. The ambience and service were great, but neither of us were impressed with the food. Overall, the place wasn't good enough for either of us to make a second visit.Special Features:
- restaurant week dinner 2014SimonMDined on 7/27/2014It was very busy due to the restaurant week, therefore the service was quite slow. Food was great and the staffs were as attentive as they could be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern lower level sushi restaurantwildalloysDined on 7/27/2014We went to Megu for a date night during restaurant week. On the restaurant week menu we had tuna tartare and seaweed salad appetizers, kobe beef and branzino entrees, and finished with creme brulee and mango cake desserts. There was also a wine and sake pairing. I tried the wine while my boyfriend tried the sake. I think the wine pairing could've been better, it seemed generic to fit any of the entree options on the restaurant week pre fixe. We were expecting sushi and were surprised that there were no sushi options on the restaurant week menu. All in all, food was good, but not over-the-top amazing. The ambience was very modern and dark, and felt a little forced.Special Features:
- service can be improvedbeccaVIPDined on 7/27/2014High expectation based on online review makes my visit during the restaurant week. I got my drink pretty fast after seated by the bar, but then I wait for almost 20 minutes and finally have to approach someone to tell them that I am ready to place my order. The food was good and luckily I was being able to watch the sushi chief’s work during the intermission. But again I waited for a long time during the check out, and the sushi chief by the bar must observe it so he took my credit card in the end rather than the waiter. I understand it’s a very busy restaurant but their services need to up on speed with the fancy décor and cuisine.Special Features:
- Return again and againLisaVIPDined on 7/27/2014The ambiance and service are stellar....everything exudes a delightful harmony. Add to that their famous tender beef, and you have a perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience all aroundmurdochDined on 7/26/2014Food was superb and service was on point. Went early on a Saturday night and beat the busy time. A Gilt certificate helped to bring the price down, which is always a plus. Highly recommended to those who have never been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Our experience there was lovely enough.... food was good but the portions were miniscule and the wines were overpriced. The smallest amount of food, three glasses of wine (three because the pours were so short that it was the equivalent of a normal glass and a half) for $100 per person. Not worth it. And to add insult to injury, our last stop was the rest rooms and the hallway to the bathrooms smelled like a latrine - like the worst smelly NYC subway corridor. Really disgusting. At that price point, the bathrooms and hallways should smell fresh.
- Best desert in town!!!evdinesoutDined on 7/25/2014Megu is all around wonderful. But the outstanding feature is their green tea crepe: a multilayered bit of heaven!Special Features:
- Top NYC DisappointmentMattDined on 7/24/2014Not much I can say. Very expensive all around - on top of pricey food, sake starts at over $100 a bottle (unless you want sparkling?) for bottles that do not taste remotely at that level. Food was mediocre to bad depending on the course.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014It was a great experience at Megu. The staff are very attentive and the Buddha ice sculpture made the restaurant have a great vibe. I would definitely be going back here again with my boyfriend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.