Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
3500 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediumrarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022371432
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30 pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Saturday 5:00 - 10:30, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Medium Rare - Cleveland Park
Reservations are not required. Contact us for large parties or special events. Feel free to contact us regarding our seating policy. Yes, we do serve brunch/lunch on Sunday with a great prix fixe including French Toast, Steak and Eggs, Eggs Benedict and bottomless bloody Marys, mimosas and screwdrivers. During the evenings, Medium Rare offers a unique, prix fixe dinning experience of artisan bread; a mixed green salad; prime, dry-aged steak; and hand-cut fries in a relaxed, fun, neighborhood environment. As we do only one thing, we do our best to make the food and experience exceptional and also a good value. There are only a few wine, spirits, and draft beer choices, but each were selected specifically to accompany your meal. We offer an off-the-menu vegetarian option. Please contact us to inquire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Medium Rare - Cleveland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (69)great for outdoor dining (52)great for brunch (30)good for groups (28)fit for foodies (26)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (16)special occasion (14)romantic (10)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not Careful About Cooking TempsMikeVIPDined on 9/7/20144 at the table, each ordered our steak differently, but all four came the same. The second round completely ignored it. French fries were soft and soggy. Place was crowded, but since they only do one thing...it should be done right.
- Great brunchovercookedVIPDined on 9/7/2014I'm a steak fiend, but prefer my meat cooked. Medium Rare did something many other steak places in DC have been unable to do....They provided me my steak frites medium well! Kudos to the kitchen staff for being able to handle high volume brunch and present me and my table mates with steak cooked to our request - some medium rare and mine not! The choice of brunch starter of fruit cup (good mix of melons), yogurt parfait or salad provided nice balance. And the all you can drink mimosa or screwdriver kept coming. Lovely, tasty and enjoyable for Sunday brunch conveniently close to the Metro.
- In declineMichaelDined on 9/4/2014When Medium Rare first opened it was bustling and the food came out sizzling and looking and tasting fantastic. The past two times I've been there the place has been dead, and the steak has that limp, grey look of meat left under a heat lamp. If you live around the corner, go for it … steak and fries are hard to screw up. But otherwise I can't recommend the trip.
- Not as good as last timeAndrewHarperVIPDined on 9/1/2014Monday's experience was disappointing. The tables were too close together; the server was a robot and I did not enjoy that his backside was practically in my plate when he was waiting on the table next to me; the salad and especially the bread were very nice, but the steak and frites were cold when served. I was dining with someone who had not eaten at Medium Rare before. She was disappointed that the server did not ask her if she wanted the sauce on the side. She does not enjoy sauce on her steak.Special Features:
- BrunchfoodiedcDined on 8/31/2014I went here with my friend for brunch. It was really delicious, especially the scrambled eggs. The french toast was super fluffy. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- good steakstoliDined on 8/28/2014I am not a fan of traditional steak houses since the beef is usually not as good as what one can get from one's own grill.This steak is really great tasting and the fries are fantastic.Special Features:
- Good meal in outdoor settingthx4katrinasupportDined on 8/25/2014We returned to Medium Rare after a brief hiatus. We had a lovely evening and dined outside. The food and service were good, as usual. Our waiter was extremely friendly. It was a bit slow getting our check, and there was a small error which was promptly corrected. The Fitou, our favorite wine, had been removed from the list. We didn't care as much for the Cote du Rhone which was substituted for it. Overall, the experience met our expectations.Special Features:
- Great as always!CarolineVIPDined on 8/24/2014The French toast for brunch is no joke. And I love that MR is dog-friendly on the patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually good steakTomandMaryVIPDined on 8/18/2014Great steak - good buy and very pleasant tables. Lovely dinner and a truly enjoyable experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak, skip sauce, too noisy!RareDined on 8/17/2014Good bread, salty salad dressing (prefer vinaigrette), great rare steak when requested, skip that steak sauce, good service, way too noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place + such a Concept!TerryPDined on 8/13/2014After a long day a work it's nice to go in....and know EXACTLY what you are going to get. Great atmosphere, nice glass of wine, great food and a killer Hot Fudge Sundae!Special Features:
- Well done at medium rareNobHilleryDined on 8/13/2014We just moved to the neighborhood and love this spot. You have to be in the mood for steak frites. It's all they serve but they do it well. Servers are great. Ask for Giovanni or Luis. Salad and streak beat out desserts but the hot fudge sundae is good.Special Features:
- Best Brunch AroundCaseyDined on 8/10/2014Medium Rare is my go to brunch spot. Nobody can beat $23 for great food and bottomless drinks!!!Special Features:
- Simple, But SatisfyingCORKyVinoDined on 7/29/2014The menu is simple. Salad, bread, steak and frites (or portabella mushroom for non-red meat eaters). Nice selection of wines by the glass. Friendly and attentive wait staff and prompt busboys. Outdoor dining is a good distance from busy Connecticut Avenue or opt for indoor dining near the windows.Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014We went here for brunch & were really excited because the price is right & we had had dinner here before & enjoyed it. For $23 you get unlimited drinks (mimosas & bloodys), bread, choice of fruit, yogurt or salad & an entree. The service was pretty bad, took our waiter way too long to get our drink orders & then another length of time to come back & take our orders. While other tables got blood mary's dressed with celery and limes, mine came with nothing. Food was plain, I got the Steak Benedict which was more of the consistency of dog food then steak, & had little taste. They were good with drink refills though, & larger parties were given carafes for the table. I'd probably go back, but with lower expectations and order something else.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/20/2014This was my first visit to Medium Rare and I'll be back! What a great concept. Everything right down to the giant hot fudge sundae I had at the end was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER DISAPPOINTED!TerryPDined on 7/15/2014The food is excellent.......the service has always been great!Special Features:
- DeliciousletthemeatsteakDined on 7/13/2014Medium Rare was delicious and fun from the first bite of steak to the last drop of wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchBillIDined on 7/13/2014sorry guys I'm going to have to give bunch of thumbs downI ordered theEggs Benedictthe eggs were so runny ask to be worse than soft boiled eggsthe portions are smaller than they are at dinner and the same costSophia primary objective is having unlimited mimosas go there but otherwise I would not recommend
- AMAZINGZoeyVIPDined on 7/3/2014This was my first visit to Medium Rare and WOW. The server was very friendly attentive. The food was delicious -- all of it. The bread, salad, steak, fries, all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, and loved itJacobDined on 7/3/2014First time ever going to Medium Rare. Dinner was good. Steak was cooked correctly and the "secret sauce" was delicious. The fries seemed like they were out of a bag from the freezer aisle, but still nice and crispy. I was not expecting an employee to walk up to my table and re-fill my steak and fries! Was very surprised and delighted. Pretty neat looking restaurant inside and out too. Would recommend.
- Decent in most respectsdbeersfineartDined on 6/26/2014The menu is very limited to one cut of steak, so ordering is super easy, super fast and that is always nice in a large group. However, this is not the place to take a starving teenage boy to - even the second serving will not be adequate as each serving is pretty small. For 19.95 each, which includes two servings of steak, a good salad and two servings of fries (which are rated pretty good by most people), this is not a bad place to take a family to dinner or a group of friends for a quick and inexpensive meal, or as a way to handle a meal before going to the nearby Uptown for a movie. I would not take a first date here (unless I were in my late teens or early twenties) as it just is not nice enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timePeacock92Dined on 6/24/2014My boyfriend and I usually go there for dinner because they have a great salad dressing and an amazig steak sauce, but I decided to bring a group of friends to have a goodbye dinner. Service has always been wonderful with great team work in the past; however, I was unlucky when I went with my friends. our server was pushy, rude and unattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great bargain and good foodstoliDined on 6/19/2014I've taken people from ages 5 to 70+ and everyone has enjoyed it both and brunch and dinner. The only problem is that there are no reservations accepted for Friday or Saturday nights so I just don't go there on those nights.Special Features:
- Great food, service so-sorsquaredDined on 6/18/2014Our server was having a terrible day and wasn't very attentive or kind to the point that several other servers ended up stopping by to help us. Otherwise the food met my expectations, tender and juicy meat, sauce done well (not too salty) and great fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Special Occasion DiningEatingWithChildrenDined on 6/15/2014We came here on Father's Day! Everything was excellent. Service was impeccable. Food was beyond delicious. We chose to fine outside with our small children and we enjoyed ourselves. Our reservation was for 5, by 6, as we were leaving the restaurant was just starting to fill up. But even for outside dining the noise level and ambience were comfortable. I can't wait to eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sloppy Presentation. Bad Service.CENCVIPDined on 6/15/2014We went to Medium Rare for Sunday Brunch right as they opened (11am). We were shortly sat and the hostess seemed to manage the chaos of opening fairly smoothly. Our server, however, was a mess. He was either hungover or just in a bad mood, but he was intolerable the entire meal. Between slamming our glasses down on our table, spilling drinks, and sliding our plates onto the table in a manner that ensured our food sloshed around, he ensured that our experience was unpleasant. We were not sure if our pre-fix menu items were platted sloppily or just poorly handled by the wait staff (maybe both!). The food was alright for the price ($23/per) but I dont think that we will make this a spot we visit again in the near future.Special Features:
- Quite a bargain!WineYahooVIPDined on 6/9/2014We dropped in for a quick meal with an out-of-town friend. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the meal given the simplicity of the menu. A great value. And you get a second helping? Wowza.Special Features:
- Delicious but it rained on my datetonetoneDined on 6/4/2014The food was good. wine was good. service was decent. My only complaint would be that the air duct kept leaking on my date throughout dinner. Good time overallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I should go there more oftenMarishkaDined on 6/3/2014Every time I go here I have decent food withy reasonable prices you can't beat. Helpful and friendly staff. If you're in the mood for steak frites, overall a very good option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect steak dinner!rhinosmuseVIPDined on 6/3/2014Our visit was beyond delightful! The food passed expectations. The service was charming and efficient. We love the 'simple' approach to the whole restaurant, both food and drink menus. We could eat there every night! Suffice to say our first visit was memorable and it certainly will not be our last!Special Features:
- The following 357 reviews are from the Medium Rare - Cleveland Park reviews archive.
- amazing food at reasonable pricenicknameVIPDined on 5/18/2014We enjoyed a tasty brunch with drinks at an amazing price!! I am making plans to bring a few ladies groups for brunch. Food was well prepared and of good quality. Interesting menu selections. Brunch price also includes an assortment of beverages. We will return to try dinner menu.Special Features:
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 5/14/2014Tried to come here twice without reservations (on weekday/weekend), but failed. Food was good, and restaurant has cute qwerks -- from double portions to french pick up line music in the bathroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a French Toast Loveragw9514Dined on 5/11/2014I set a reservation here for Mothers Day brunch, and left absolutely satisfied with the food and service. I highly recommend the French Toast -- one of the four people ordered it at my table, and we all ended up munching off her plate. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!CaitV8685VIPDined on 5/4/2014Simple menu where everything is perfectly done! Been there for dinner before so this was our first brunch. Excellent! And the bottomless Bloody Marys we're great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood dining and vibeadamsmorganresidentDined on 4/24/2014Since Medium Rare opened a few years ago, I have eaten there with small groups of 4-5 friends, with larger groups of 15 for birthday celebrations, I've brought my sister's family there with her kids, and been there on 1-on-1 dates. Medium Rare rises to all of these occasions. A predictable menu (just the steak frites), but reliable and always delicious. I love the second portions, and the desserts are amazing. Great place to split a bottle of wine over some tasty steak frites. It can get a bit loud (energetic) but there is always a good music selection playing.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT as ALWAYS!TerryPDined on 4/16/2014One of my Top 5 restaraunts I TOTALLY enjoy in DC! Great Food.....Great Service! HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features:
- If you love steak...PrimDined on 4/13/2014This place is it. I encourage you to bring friends who may not eat their STEAK REFILL. That's right. They rebeef you, along with another serving of superior fries. Their mixed greens are hearty and as farm-to-table as you can ask. I love steak, and I get really cranky with a poor cut or shabby cook. MEDIUM RARE (which is how I recommend you get it) has it all covered. And its only like $20. I want to go all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious As Always!MoxiegalDined on 4/13/2014I've come to brunch here countless times and I'm never disappointed. Probably the best brunch deal in town, especially because they don't skimp on refilling the bottomless drinks! Thanks for yet another awesome meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh for brunchFOODIEVIPDined on 4/13/2014Friend and I had brunch on lovely Sunday outdoors. Eggs/Steak/Portabello mushroom entree was like hash. Poached egg was more water than egg. Even their signature dish steak/frites was less than appetizing, smothered in their "secret sauce" rather than their usual lovely presentation. Thank goodness for the bottomless mimosas otherwise the meal would have be a 1 star. What happened, M-R?