Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
515 Eighth St. SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediumrarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 601-7136
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday 11-2:30, Sunday 10-2:30; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
Our newest location! Reservations are not required. Contact us for large parties or special events. Feel free to contact us regarding our seating policy. Yes, we do serve brunch/lunch on Sunday with a great prix fixe including "The Best French Toast in DC", Steak and Eggs, Eggs Benedict and bottomless bloody Marys, mimosas and screwdrivers. During the evenings, Medium Rare offers a unique, prix fixe dinning experience of artisan bread; a mixed green salad; prime, dry-aged steak; and hand-cut fries in a relaxed, fun, neighborhood environment. As we do only one thing, we do our best to make the food and experience exceptional and also a good value. There are only a carefully selected wines, spirits, and draft beer choices. We offer an off-menu vegetarian option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (35)great for brunch (34)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (12)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Simple and excellentJohnHDined on 11/19/2014Medium rare specializes in keeping it simple. Three to four choices each for red and white wine, as well as beer- simple. One fixed menu of steak, fries, and salad- simple. Everything having been done very well, with great service, so no one has to ask for extra this or minus that- simple. Medium rare does one thing, and does it expertly. If you want variety, this is not for you- but if you want something simple and delicious, this might be your place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ordinar at bestImpresarioVIPDined on 11/16/2014Being from the Midwest I know good beef, this was ordinary with a good sauce. I really didn't want the extra so I boxed it up and gave it to a homeless person.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchFirstTimeRestaurantWeekDined on 11/16/2014We had a delightful birthday brunch! Medium Rare graciously allowed us to bring a dessert for the birthday boy. They were able to accommodate our request for 10 people, and even put us by the front window. We had fantastic service - never was a mimosa glass less than 1/3 full; the food was delicious as usual and the service was very attentive. Very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum YumLove2EatDined on 11/13/2014Very great concept of a restaurant...only serves Steak and Fries...and they are most delicious!!! Plus you get TWO SERVINGS! As soon as you're almost done with your first steak and fries...they refill your plate. Make sure you get your steak Medium Rare! Don't worry...It's not a thick steak so its not bloody. The Steak Sauce its soo delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite Brunch spotsJsampDined on 11/9/2014I love medium rare! If you love steak, you will too. The brunch is such a great deal and includes bottomless drinks! Every time I have eaten at Medium Rare they keep the drinks coming. And the food is delicious! I always go with the Steak & Eggs, but the french toasts looks amazing as well.Special Features:
- NotAChefVIPDined on 11/1/2014The best (and best bargain) brunch in Barracks Row. What a wonderful place to be on a Saturday morning after halloween. Steak and eggs + perfect for the day. The place has a great friendly neighborhood feel. Nice service, excellent steak menu. Simple menu - steak, eggs, french toast, salad, EXCELLENT Bloody Mary. Extremely family friendly and at $23 for brunch - what a deal!Special Features:
- Went to catch up with a friend...claytoagDined on 10/28/2014The dining experience at Medium Rare is all prix fixed, so they take all of the guesswork out of dining. It's very simple; you get three courses: bread, salad, and Steak Frites (prime rib with french fries and their addictive gravy-like sauce). The only thing you need to decide is how your meat is cooked. All of the food was amazing. Our server, Todd M., was also incredible. My friend and I were having a indulgence kind of night, so we went with splitting a bottle of Cotes du Rhone over dinner and then split a bottle of bubbly over their amazing hot fudge sundae. Seeing a picture of their sundae on Instagram a few weeks ago is the sole reason why I picked Medium Rare. Basically, everything about the night was a fabulous choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another Barracks Row gemJVDCDined on 10/28/2014A great addition to a now-vibrant Cap Hill neighborhood. Bottom line on their menu: salad, bread, steak and fries; then repeat. An excellent example of "do one thing very well" as a successful model.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/27/2014great food for a very reasonable price. Steak frites, salad and bread. Bread was crusty and warm. Delicious sauce on the steak. I will recommend to friends traveling to DC.Special Features:
- Great Brunch.travelingmom35805Dined on 10/26/2014Brunch with a group of 7. Good Food and Service. Very pleased and would go back anytime.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!NYDCTXVIPDined on 10/20/2014So glad this is in the neighborhood. It is a great go to!Special Features:
- Decent SpotdcfoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014$23 gets you one order of steak frites and bottomless brunch drinks. Not bad, but you pay for what you get. Little sparkling in the mimosa yields quick headache. The steak is tender, but portion is a bit small.Special Features:
- Awesome bottomless brunch specialShleyDined on 10/18/2014Bottomless brunch special for under thirty dollars? And it includes drinks AND a delicious entree? There is not enough good to say about this restaurant. Love Eastern Market so the location was spectacular - great for outdoor seating - and our server was great. Our drinks were never more than half-empty before he was coming around offering another glass! Would really recommend this place and visit again.Special Features:
- Executed to perfectionBonnieDined on 10/9/2014Medium Rare delivers exactly what it promises - one dish done very well! I wasn't crazy about the bread, but I found the salad and the Steak Frites perfectly seasoned. Note that Steak Frites is served in two servings for everyone, not just those who are still hungry. I will make sure to ask for less when I go next time, but my boyfriend was more than happy to eat three servings. :) It's a fun place - not exactly romantic or upscale, but the restaurant was clean and casual and I think it would be fun to go with a group - not a lot to figure out when the check comes! My boyfriend had the Key Lime Pie from Pie Sisters for dessert and loved that as well. The price is extremely reasonable - we'll be back!Special Features:
- BrunchDCfoodieDined on 9/27/2014Went for brunch on a Saturday. The food was just okay. I ordered the steak frites and fries. The steak was okay... the sauce they pour over it was too rich for me liking. It was very busy when we went. Our food came out slow and the mimosas were room temperature. It was just an okay experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Value for Great FoodLindzDined on 9/22/2014I love Medium Rare! It's a great value for delicious food. The menu concept is neat and the "secret sauce" is out of this world! I'll definitely keep coming back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The fixed price one item menu.rwvadocVIPDined on 9/9/2014I really ejoyed our meal here before th NATS game. We were a group of 4 guys and the steak frites with salad far exceded my expectations-- and you get a second helping at no additional charge. The steak was tender and very tasty with a nice sauce. Everyone enjoyed the meal and it was reasonably priced. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the KISS school of restaurantsLauraSDined on 9/7/2014KISS -- keep it simple, stupid. Said admiringly, because Medium Rare serves bread, salad, steak, and frites and that's all (correction -- they do have a nice offering of desserts). But what they serve is excellent, with friendly service in a nice atmosphere. Simple and delicious -- works for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waitresscrystalDined on 9/6/2014Waitress was kind and friendly and attentive to our brunch mimosa needs. Her name was tiffany..I think. Props to her!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive service, subpar foodCusineking14Dined on 8/24/2014We were excited to try this brunch as it seemed like a good value. Unfortunately it was too good to be true, as they say, because our steak frites came out cold (the manger attributed this to a new chef) and the mimosas were very watered down. The service was the only redeeming quality, as the servers were very polite and apologetic. Maybe the other location is better, but I won't be taking my chances.
- Bad ServiceWt1234VIPDined on 8/24/2014Just bad service from our waiter named Anthony. The food was good and reliable but the poor service is what made my first (and last) visit to the Barracks Row location memorable. Why settle for bad service when there are so many other fantastic brunch options in the DC area? Medium Rare (both locations) is no longer on my family's list of go-to brunch places.Special Features:
- A good beef dinner on The Hill7hom7homVIPDined on 8/10/2014It's a salad. It's steak, presliced w/ a light sauce, cooked to order. It's julienne frites, crispy and hot. It's brought to your table in two rounds. And it's all good. Sitting in the window is kinda like being outside at that great little bistro in Paris (and yes, I've done that). I skipped dessert because it's the only meh thing here. The best news.. it's consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday gone greatDMLDVIPDined on 8/9/2014My guest and I really enjoyed ourselves. Service and food were outstanding. The only downfall is the limited bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatherineVIPDined on 8/3/2014The music was too loud, but other than that, great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep coming back.luv2dineDined on 8/3/2014Great service. Great food. Great crowd. Bottomless Brunch. Coming back again.Special Features:
- Double Date ScoresFoodieeDined on 8/1/2014The meal was quite exquisite and I loved the second servings. However salad and the bread was not to my liking, but my date and my friends had a great time eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 74 reviews are from the Medium Rare - Capitol Hill reviews archive.
- Medium Rare Barracks RowgregVIPDined on 7/29/2014Barracks Row is a hopping scene and Medium Rare fits right in. The restaurant is attractive, offers indoor as well as outdoor seating, and the food is an incredible bargain. Desserts also are excellent. Wait staff is terrific. We definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014We had a time and enjoyed it thoroughly. We sat outside because of the noise level--not bad but louder than many. Food was great. (Loved the sauce and asked for extra to slather on everything). Simple done very well. Service was exceptional. Highly recommend this restaurant. We plan to go back frequently.Special Features:
- Ok, not greatchismeVIPDined on 7/22/2014Cute concept, but the meat could have been better. Delicious fries, very friendly service, but if you're going to make your reputation on steak frites, the steak should be better than something thinly sliced and chewy. Better to upgrade the cut of meat and cut out the seconds. Also, not charging five times the retail cost of the wine would be a nice gesture as well.Special Features:
- AdamDined on 7/22/2014Typically I will have a great time at medium rare but on this occasion I was completely ignored by my waiter the food took about twenty minutes to come out and overall service was just bad. I will say this is an anomaly, but I am going to stay away from the medium rare in Capitol Hill for a few months. Good thing medium rare in Cleveland Park has never disappointed!Special Features:
- LimitsDMLDVIPDined on 7/21/2014All and all the experience was great. However the bar is very limited, we were disappointed with the section.Special Features:
- Very uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014All they serve is their beef, so don't expect any variety in the menu. It was delicious, and the fries were yummy too. This is a restaurant to occasionally visit, just due to their limited menu. But if you're in the mood for beef in a light gravy au-jus, it's very good.
- Unique brunchfinrthingsDined on 7/20/2014I came with friends for the Sunday brunch. The bread and parfait were delicious. The steak was great, the fries were good, but the poached eggs were too gooey/mushy. At the beginning of our meal, the restaurant was so loud that we had trouble hearing our server, but it calmed down (or we may have gotten used to it).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good!ChrisMVIPDined on 7/14/2014Medium Rare is such a great value and a great experience every time. The steak is cooked to perfection and the service is top notch. Would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:
- quality has gone downhillsoxgalVIPDined on 7/9/2014We had only eaten at medium rare once but were very excited about it because we live nearby and the first time was terrific. This time the salad which we remember as having an amazing vinagrette was barely dressed and the lettuce was wilted. The steak was perfectly cooked and the fries were great but our first serving was cold. Bread still as good as we remember it. Plenty of good things to say (the no corkage deal with Decanter is great!) but when you only make 3 things you should make them all really well. We will try it again, hope we caught them on an off night.
- Not worth going backDCO3VIPDined on 7/6/2014Food was okay, service was terrible. We have been to the Cleveland Park location and loved it, but the service was extremely poor and ruined the entire experience. Empty drinks, long waits before ordering, no bread brought out initially, etc. We had to ask the waitress several times for the same thing before we finally received it. Very, very poor service.
- Awesome brunch spotBrunchRDined on 7/6/2014I already knew Medium Rare is a great dinner spot, but now I am extra excited about their brunch. Same delicious food as dinner (except a couple more options) and bottomless bloodies, mimosas, screwdrivers, coffee, and juice! You really can't go wrong here. They were not stingy with the boozy drinks and didn't try to kick us out as soon as we finished eating either.Special Features:
- Meat HeavenHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 7/2/2014We had an awesome experience at Medium Rare. For one price, you get house-made bread, a salad, and two helpings of steak and fries. I don't know what that secret sauce is, but it's amazing. We will be going back in the future.Special Features:
- Not a bad brunchray45851VIPDined on 6/28/2014The brunch menu is really short and strict, so not the place for substitutions. I'm always surprised when a place that serves eggs can't change the temperature because they are "cooked in a machine". The server was less than attentive, but the manager was really friendly when we had that "where's our server?" look on our faces. He was much more accommodating but the standard response to any menu changes was "no-- we can't do that because it's already made". The bottomless drinks are nice, except the mimosas tastes like 90% orange juice, which is not how a mimosa should be prepared. Especially when you're using very pulpy orange juice. There were several dish breakings during the meal by staff. Not a bad brunch, but not excited to return.Special Features:
- michaelVIPDined on 6/22/2014Food quality was good, service was good, but the brunch portions were very small - most of our group left hungry.