Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
515 Eighth St. SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediumrarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2026017136x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Medium Rare - Capitol Hill
Our newest location! Reservations are not required. Contact us for large parties or special events. Feel free to contact us regarding our seating policy. Yes, we do serve brunch/lunch on Sunday with a great prix fixe including "The Best French Toast in DC", Steak and Eggs, Eggs Benedict and bottomless bloody Marys, mimosas and screwdrivers. During the evenings, Medium Rare offers a unique, prix fixe dinning experience of artisan bread; a mixed green salad; prime, dry-aged steak; and hand-cut fries in a relaxed, fun, neighborhood environment. As we do only one thing, we do our best to make the food and experience exceptional and also a good value. There are only a carefully selected wines, spirits, and draft beer choices. We offer an off-menu vegetarian option.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Medium Rare - Capitol Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (48)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (34)great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (19)romantic (13)special occasion (13)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- A good beef dinner on The Hill7hom7homVIPDined on 8/10/2014It's a salad. It's steak, presliced w/ a light sauce, cooked to order. It's julienne frites, crispy and hot. It's brought to your table in two rounds. And it's all good. Sitting in the window is kinda like being outside at that great little bistro in Paris (and yes, I've done that). I skipped dessert because it's the only meh thing here. The best news.. it's consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday gone greatDMLDVIPDined on 8/9/2014My guest and I really enjoyed ourselves. Service and food were outstanding. The only downfall is the limited bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatherineVIPDined on 8/3/2014The music was too loud, but other than that, great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep coming back.luv2dineDined on 8/3/2014Great service. Great food. Great crowd. Bottomless Brunch. Coming back again.Special Features:
- Double Date ScoresFoodieeDined on 8/1/2014The meal was quite exquisite and I loved the second servings. However salad and the bread was not to my liking, but my date and my friends had a great time eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Rare Barracks RowgregDined on 7/29/2014Barracks Row is a hopping scene and Medium Rare fits right in. The restaurant is attractive, offers indoor as well as outdoor seating, and the food is an incredible bargain. Desserts also are excellent. Wait staff is terrific. We definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2014We had a time and enjoyed it thoroughly. We sat outside because of the noise level--not bad but louder than many. Food was great. (Loved the sauce and asked for extra to slather on everything). Simple done very well. Service was exceptional. Highly recommend this restaurant. We plan to go back frequently.Special Features:
- Ok, not greatchismeVIPDined on 7/22/2014Cute concept, but the meat could have been better. Delicious fries, very friendly service, but if you're going to make your reputation on steak frites, the steak should be better than something thinly sliced and chewy. Better to upgrade the cut of meat and cut out the seconds. Also, not charging five times the retail cost of the wine would be a nice gesture as well.Special Features:
- AdamDined on 7/22/2014Typically I will have a great time at medium rare but on this occasion I was completely ignored by my waiter the food took about twenty minutes to come out and overall service was just bad. I will say this is an anomaly, but I am going to stay away from the medium rare in Capitol Hill for a few months. Good thing medium rare in Cleveland Park has never disappointed!Special Features:
- LimitsDMLDVIPDined on 7/21/2014All and all the experience was great. However the bar is very limited, we were disappointed with the section.Special Features:
- Very uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/20/2014All they serve is their beef, so don't expect any variety in the menu. It was delicious, and the fries were yummy too. This is a restaurant to occasionally visit, just due to their limited menu. But if you're in the mood for beef in a light gravy au-jus, it's very good.
- Unique brunchfinrthingsDined on 7/20/2014I came with friends for the Sunday brunch. The bread and parfait were delicious. The steak was great, the fries were good, but the poached eggs were too gooey/mushy. At the beginning of our meal, the restaurant was so loud that we had trouble hearing our server, but it calmed down (or we may have gotten used to it).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Good!ChrisMDined on 7/14/2014Medium Rare is such a great value and a great experience every time. The steak is cooked to perfection and the service is top notch. Would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:
- quality has gone downhillsoxgalVIPDined on 7/9/2014We had only eaten at medium rare once but were very excited about it because we live nearby and the first time was terrific. This time the salad which we remember as having an amazing vinagrette was barely dressed and the lettuce was wilted. The steak was perfectly cooked and the fries were great but our first serving was cold. Bread still as good as we remember it. Plenty of good things to say (the no corkage deal with Decanter is great!) but when you only make 3 things you should make them all really well. We will try it again, hope we caught them on an off night.
- Not worth going backDCO3VIPDined on 7/6/2014Food was okay, service was terrible. We have been to the Cleveland Park location and loved it, but the service was extremely poor and ruined the entire experience. Empty drinks, long waits before ordering, no bread brought out initially, etc. We had to ask the waitress several times for the same thing before we finally received it. Very, very poor service.
- Awesome brunch spotBrunchRDined on 7/6/2014I already knew Medium Rare is a great dinner spot, but now I am extra excited about their brunch. Same delicious food as dinner (except a couple more options) and bottomless bloodies, mimosas, screwdrivers, coffee, and juice! You really can't go wrong here. They were not stingy with the boozy drinks and didn't try to kick us out as soon as we finished eating either.Special Features:
- Meat HeavenHStreetYuppieVIPDined on 7/2/2014We had an awesome experience at Medium Rare. For one price, you get house-made bread, a salad, and two helpings of steak and fries. I don't know what that secret sauce is, but it's amazing. We will be going back in the future.Special Features:
- Not a bad brunchray45851VIPDined on 6/28/2014The brunch menu is really short and strict, so not the place for substitutions. I'm always surprised when a place that serves eggs can't change the temperature because they are "cooked in a machine". The server was less than attentive, but the manager was really friendly when we had that "where's our server?" look on our faces. He was much more accommodating but the standard response to any menu changes was "no-- we can't do that because it's already made". The bottomless drinks are nice, except the mimosas tastes like 90% orange juice, which is not how a mimosa should be prepared. Especially when you're using very pulpy orange juice. There were several dish breakings during the meal by staff. Not a bad brunch, but not excited to return.Special Features:
- michaelDined on 6/22/2014Food quality was good, service was good, but the brunch portions were very small - most of our group left hungry.
- Great experience on Father's Daylj28VIPDined on 6/15/2014My husband, 10 month old son, and I had brunch here on Father's Day and it was all just great! The staff were all very friendly and the food and service were excellent. This was our first time at this location (we have been to the Cleveland Park Medium Rare before) and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great idea for restarauntDanielDined on 6/8/2014My family and I had a great time. There was only one thing we needed to answer: How do you want your steak cooked? It was so easy and well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOP 3 brunch spots everCustomMadeSladeDined on 6/8/2014Adam the manager took great care of my party last Sunday. I made the reservation on a Thursday, and he was more than willing to accommodate us. We even had a hick-up in timing out arrival, but they were still more than happy to take care of us. We had the best server - Dominique - and flat out the best French toast I've had in dc. Only one other place in Arlington can compare. Everything else was the best. I've recommended the restaurant to everyone already and it's not been 2 days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time having their brunchFirstTimeRestaurantWeekDined on 6/8/2014Everyone raves and raves about Medium Rare and it seems impossible to get a table. I made reservations the night before and we were thankfully seated a few minutes early. We all enjoyed ourselves but were not overly impressed with menu, the taste of the food, nor the amount of food. Don't get me wrong the food was good, and the bottomless drinks were strong, but there are many other places I will go back to before we have brunch here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak-Fun,Reasonable, Good ServiceMoJafarDined on 6/3/2014Steak - Fun, Reasonable, Good Service great dessert.Special Features:
- Medium Rare - Capitol Hill Brunchfnkyfrshdrssed19Dined on 6/1/2014Made a reservation for Sunday brunch at Medium Rare and had a great time! It was my second time going and I enjoyed myself both times. Mimosas could be a bit stronger...should have switched to Screwdrivers! But great time overall.Special Features:
- Brunch? Manage your expectationskellabellaDined on 6/1/2014brunch - if you order the benedict, it comes well done and chopped in small cubes, as does the portobello... not my fave but the hollandaise made it flavorful enough to eat. all poached eggs undercooked. salads were good, yogurt with dried fruit was delicious, as were the fries. can never complain about bottomless mimosas. don't bother with reservations. they won't seat you until your entire party is there & i had requested outdoor seating yet we were seated indoors. it's worth a try if you're wandering in the area (and you're forearmed with information like this) and you like well-done steak, but i won't go out of my way to go back or recommend my friends to make a special brunch trip... too many other great options in town.
- If do one thing, do it well....ISOAmazingFoodVIPDined on 5/29/2014I dined at the Medium Rare in Cleveland Park a few years ago and I'd been looking forward to trying the new locale in Capitol Hill. Perhaps I've just eaten much better steak since then, as I was quite disappointed with quality of both steak and frites this time around. Our server was very friendly and nicely offered to let us taste various wines to help us choose a bottle, but unfortunately all four of the reds we tried were equally uninspiring so I opted for just a glass of the Bordeaux.This is not the spot to go for steak if you are seeking a memorable experience -- the food here was very mediocre so I will not be returning. There's no dearth of French and Belgian places in DC that serve the same cuisine and more.
- great placejosh279Dined on 5/27/2014I had an outstanding time. Food great for the price. Will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMallyDCVIPDined on 5/21/2014Asked to sit right in the window and was graciously accommodated. Great timing with dinner. Everything was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food even Better Serviceyensid77Dined on 5/17/2014Had a great time at Medium Rare. The food was excellent and the service was even better. From the moment we walked in to the moment we walked out it was worth every penny.Special Features:
- Mothers DayLovermontDined on 5/11/2014A friendly waitress, the surprise of a complementary glass of champagne, delicious dinner and free Cherry Blosdom ice cream!! Wonderful dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll Go BackDLoves2DineVIPDined on 5/11/2014Tasty - pretty decent service. Steak's amazingly tender. one drawback is the seating because it's pretty crowded. I feel like I'm not eating with my party, but with the couple at the next table. Overall though, they've found their niche...and it works.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best french toast in the worldTomasVIPDined on 5/4/2014I don't know about anything else on the menu, but their brunch french toast is the best breakfast I have ever had. Note, if you show up at open (11am Sunday) the hostess will make you stand outside until she counts down every second 'till 11am on the dot. Otherwise, service is great.Special Features:
- The following 46 reviews are from the Medium Rare - Capitol Hill reviews archive.
- Weeknight Birthday DinnerDCDreamlinerDined on 4/30/2014I took my boyfriend here for a birthday dinner on a Wednesday. Seating was prompt and service very good--we had three different ones throughout the night, but all were competent and friendly. The total bill for two entrees and four glasses of wine was a very reasonable $90 especially for the quality and portion size of the meal. I would definitely go back when craving a steak and frites meal.Special Features:
- Always a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2014Honestly you cant find a better steak in my opinion. The bread, salad and fries with the special sauce are also a huge bonus! $20 for two servings of a delicious dinner is a hidden gem in the city.Special Features:
- Two Courses of SteakChrisMDined on 4/28/2014I came for the steak and was not disappointed. The restaurant served two courses of steak that was cooked to perfection. Great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchSGDCVIPDined on 4/27/2014Had a great time, excellent service and the food was delish. A def recommend.Special Features:
- Pretty great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014The only minor issue we had was that our table was right next to the bar where people would stand to get a drink while they waited for their tables, so we had a lot of read ends in our faces while we tried to eat. They may want to consider moving that table away from the bar 6 inches for a more enjoyable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming BrunchBigTenDined on 4/19/2014Went with a group of friends for brunch and the food was decent, while the drinks (bottomless mimosas, bloody marys, screwdrivers) were furiously watered down. I felt like I needed to continue to fill up on a ton of liquid in order to get some kind of buzz from what seemed like a quarter-shot of liquor in each drink. We expected much more from a fairly new place in the area trying to make a name for itself. Also, we felt that the food (steak frites, parfaits, etc) should have been prepared better and not been so bland... when the kitchen has a set menu for many hours, it shouldn't be too hard to not screw up 3 different menu items that you're focused on making all day.
- Great deal for bottomless brunchcs875Dined on 4/19/2014Brought two friends visiting from England to brunch at Medium Rare in Eastern Market, and it was a great spot for them to see a different neighborhood in DC, but was also a great deal for bottomless brunch. $23 gets you bottomless drinks, bread for the table, a starter (fruit, parfait, or a DELICIOUS mixed greens salad), and the menu options range from "I'm feeling normal levels of hunger." to "I'm starving and hungover and want EVERYTHING there is to offer." My mimosa never hit the bottom of the glass - the servers are on top of their game. Everyone at our table was satisfied and enjoyed the meal. We were especially pleased with the outdoor seating, which provided a perfect setting for a cool, spring morning. Thanks Medium Rare!Special Features: