29 Hulfish St
Princeton, NJ 08542Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mediterrarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6092529680
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am -4:pm, Saturday - Sunday 12:noon - 4:pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:pm - 10:pm, Friday & Saturday 5:pm - 11:pm, Sunday 5:pm-9:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Terry Strong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The private dining room at Mediterra comfortably seats up to 40 people. We currently offer lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch options, as well as tasting menus, all of which can be completely custom designed to meet your tastes and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Jamie Panfili (609) 497-7500
- Entertainment: Live Music on Tuesday & Thursday evenings, (check calendar @ www.mediterrarestaurant.com)
BYOB on Sundays, 4:pm - 7:pm
A word from Mediterra
Approachable cuisine of the 21 countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. Offers award-winning wine list. Seasonal alfresco dining overlooks Princeton's Palmer Square. Live music in a newly remodeled Tavern, Private Dining available as well!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mediterra - Best Restaurants in Princeton ›
Mediterra reviews from OpenTable diners
296 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (222)fit for foodies (128)neighborhood gem (128)notable wine list (98)special occasion (97)great for lunch (86)good for groups (82)romantic (64)hot spot (58)great for brunch (50)vibrant bar scene (46)scenic view (42)kid-friendly (31)late-night find (22)Show More
- Great Food, Wonderful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014My family went to Mediterra for dinner on Sunday. The restaurant was busy, but not jammed. Our waitress was attentive, and offered great suggestions for appetizers and the wine. We all enjoyed the food, which was familiar (salmon, pork chop, steak), but with an interesting twist to the garnishes and sauce. The portions were large and woderfully prepared. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemRobertVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is a great Neighborhood restaurant in the middle of Princeton. They have a very nice outdoor dinning area overlooking the small square and shops. Its is a perfect place for a relaxing meal. We enjoyed a quiet dinner with friends and both the food and service were top notch. We will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLOU27VIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been here at least 5 times and each visit gets better (with the exception of the occasional wait if you want to be seated outside. Great place! Save room for dessert though at Bent Spoon up the street!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was excellent.DhdubbsDined on 9/27/2014Food was tasty. Fish was not cooked throughly thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Princeton's Bestmanger123VIPDined on 9/27/2014It was the perfect day in terms of weather and the leisurely brunch/lunch was also perfect. The food is consistently good, and varied. The wine list--which admittedly can get mucho expensive--has some really good affordable finds as well. I have been eating here for years, and recommend it very, very highly.Special Features:
- Princeton GemGlutenFreeDined on 9/27/2014There are many good restaurants to choose from when dining in Princeton. Mediterra is one of the best. Great menu, excellent service and good prices. You can spend more in Princeton but you cannot get better than Mediterra. It is our go to restaurant - with an excellent middle of town location.Special Features:
- Great night out for wife's b-dayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014We had a fantastic bottle of wine and a great dining experience this weekend at Mediterra. We got to sit outside on a perfect fall night. I ordered the lamb chops that were delicious a cooked to a perfect medium rare and my wife had the pasta special which she loved. The service was wonderful to ensure every part of the experience was to our liking. There was a new dessert created by their pastry chef we were lucky enough to try that was a mousse like combination of espresso and chocolate, covered in a velvety smooth dark chocolate that was stunning!! The experience overall is worth the higher price for a meal and in Princeton, this remains my favorite restaurant by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristmasmouseDined on 9/25/2014Staff were friendly and competent. My Caesar Salad was warm and overpowered by a lemon taste. My steak was well prepared (medium rare as requested) My dining companions were divided--swordfish ( a special) quite good and papardelle was a tiny portion lacking flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkable meal, attentive serviceRussDined on 9/25/2014It had been a few years since we had eaten at Mediterra and we were very pleased with the return experience. Service was friendly and attentive. Great care and attention went into the food as well. I had the special soup of tomato and goat cheese. Excellent. My wife had the burrata and tomato salad that she said was wonderful The special entree of mahi mahi ala planca was among the best entrees I have had anywhere. Worth the time and the price.Special Features:
- Another nice meal at MediterraArthurJacobVIPDined on 9/22/2014Our waitress was excellent! I believe her name was Charity and she was most professional, punctual, etc. The food is consistently good at this local restaurant. It is popular with locals but also with many tourists visiting Princeton due to its prime location on Palmer Square. The dinner menu seems less flexible, more limited, than the lunch menu so we usually lean toward having lunch here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We chose this restaurant because the menu had something for everyone and it looked very pretty online with a lovely lit fountain right in front and an outdoor seating area with strings of overhead lights. The interior also looked very Mediterranean with a wall of wines and a rustic bread basket. When we arrived it looked just as it did online and was very inviting. We were able to get an outdoor table, the server was friendly and helpful and we only hoped that the food was as good as the olive oil and bread. We were NOT disappointed. The food was absolutely delicious! My husband said his paella was one of the best he could remember. It was a fabulous experience and will be our go to place whenever we're in Princeton!Special Features:
- Consistently great experienceVinceVIPDined on 9/19/2014We have been coming here for many years and it remains a favorite in downtown Princeton. The service is always good, the manager is friendly and enthusiastic about wine and helping you find a great bottle at a reasonable fare. There is a nice varity of entrees and appetizers and there is always a lively crowd and it really fits many situations: albeit a business group, friends, a special occasion, Sunday brunch , a late day lunch or a quiet romantic dinner outside on the plaza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014We dined at Mediterra on 9/19. We We chose the striped bass and roasted chicken entrees. Both were excellent. We had mussels for an appetizer which were delicious. Our server was informative and friendly. The drinks from the bar were also great. It was my birthday and we were treated to a complimentary sampling of 6 different desserts! It was a wonderful evening and we will be back. The only thing that kept the night from being perfect was the noise level was extremely loud and for the first 30-45 min of our time there we had to yell at our table to hear each other. It started to clear out a little after 9 pm, so it was much better After that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible experience never againNEVERAGAINDined on 9/19/2014I first would like to say that this is the loudest restaurant I have ever been in First we ordered a cured meat plate which the meats were very good but we had to ask the waiter for more bread.The pepper spread was very good.My date and I had been to the jazz feast the weekend before and we wanted to try their Pialla but we were to full from brunch.We decided that we both would order that. It had great flavor but the rice was not cooked.It was so hard that it stuck in our teeth.we sent it back and the waiter offered us free desert I had a three chocolate sampler plate and my date ordered zeppolli.The zeppolli was raw on the inside a disappointment to say the least.We will NOT BE GOING THERE IN THE FUTURE!!
- REWSDined on 9/19/2014We dine at Mediterra often. The outdoor dining is lovely in the summer. The location is great. The menu is good for both lunch and dinner. The food is good---much better than it used to be. Groups can be accommodated in the back room, so it works well for meetings or parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableFiskarDined on 9/19/2014We went with friends for a pre-theatre dinner. The waitress was great, the restaurant was welcoming. But--we had a hard time finding something we wanted to order. We shared a steak and salad, both were great. Please make the menu more varied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewerDined on 9/16/2014Went there for the first time for my husband's birthday. They brought out 2 free appetizers and put a candle in his dessert. Food was excellent. Service was good. No complaints... will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieDined on 9/14/2014Overall it was a pleasant dining experience. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We sat outside since it was a beautiful day. I ordered gazpacho which was delicious. My main course was a frittata which was a special on the brunch menu. It would have been good except for having been over cooked. Everything else was good. I prefer to go to this restaurant for brunch or lunch rather than for dinner. They tend to rush you at dinner, especially on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Princeton RestaurantMcCarterCoupleDined on 9/13/2014A bit noisy but the food and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Friday Night at MediterraWalterDined on 9/12/2014We had a great Friday night at Mediterra, table for six. Food was fresh, good wine recommendations, and service. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCharthouseDined on 9/10/2014We come here for special occasions and everytime we leave greatly satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantMingoDined on 9/7/2014If the restaurant is not extremely busy, one can linger at the table and chat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerHautierDined on 9/7/2014The four of us enjoyed our perfectly seasoned meals. The mussel appetizer was very tasty, however several mussels were unopened - we showed them & they immediately brought replacement. Overall we had an enjoyable dining experience. FYI- parking can be difficult - prkg garage not too farSpecial Features:
- winedine1Dined on 9/7/2014a diverse menu with many high points, great spot for al fresco dining, super convenient location, staff very helpful, not obtrusive, wine list worth exploring..... we have never been disappointed at Mediterra.Special Features:
- Always a treat!SmileDined on 9/6/2014I don't go to Princeton without going to Mediterra a couple of times. The food is consistently delicious with wonderful seasonal menus. Mediterra is pretty and the service is outstanding - always. I feel like I'm treating myself.Special Features:
- A must experiencePaLattheBeachDined on 9/6/2014One of our favorite restaurants. A must when we attend McCarter Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good.Luv2dineDined on 9/5/2014Waiter very accommodating. Delicious salad. Tuna ceviche was tasteless, not a true ceviche as fish was raw not "cooked" in lime juice. Portions are generous. Service quick. Felt like we didn't order well. We'll try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experienceJackDined on 9/3/2014All four of our party were happy with their food. Service was excellent, the waiter was always available and took care of all our needs. We were able to talk without any prevailing noise level. This was the first time I visited this restaurant and I plan to return.Special Features:
- Finally!!PtonfoodieDined on 8/31/2014I've been rooting for Mediterra ever since it opened and I believe its finally hit its sweet spot. What was consistently inconsistent; has become consistently amazing. Innovative specials, tried and true entrees shine and a stellar wine list. Yay team!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third timeMichaelODined on 8/30/2014Our third experience at Mediterra. Server forgot our drink order and seemed a little rushed. So we slowed him down a bit. Food was delish. (as always) Calamari salad, Grilled octopus, (apps) Paella w/o meats. (main) White choc cheese cake.Special Features:
- nycdDined on 8/30/2014the weather was perfect. the ambiance was delightful. unfortunately, i do not remember our waiters name, but she was top notch. the food (rigatoni with mushrooms and sausage) tasted as if it had been made for each individual order. the wine choices were great and my chardonnay coupled with my meal very well.Special Features:
- Good but very expensive!LibbyDined on 8/29/2014The food quality was good, but pricey. The wines were too expensive! There should have been some more affordable options.Special Features:
- True Restaurant Experience!whackyVenkyDined on 8/28/2014Everything you expect when dining out. Great menu selection, lovely ambiance, busy and well stocked bar, nice wine list, courteous service, etc. The noise level was a tad high inside, but not bad if you are seated outside. Only a few options for vegetarians, but tasty. Overall hit. I'd go there again, and would highly recommend it to friends and business associates.Special Features:
- Delightful find in PrincetonMikeVIPDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding about sums it up. Had a group of 4. Had the paella and a couple of appetizers. Well worth all of it. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical MediterraSouthernBoyDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delightful early supper with great cocktails and delicious food. Walking in by the fountain relaxes your soul for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- start to finish...outstanding!!mirroredimagesDined on 8/24/2014The decor, ambiance & location of Mediterra are perfect. Alyssa, our server was fantastic. Her 1st day and she was spot on with the menu & drink items. We and our friends enjoyed the cheese board, salumi board, octopus, mussels & the yellowtail ceviche. Main courses...crisp chicken, sea bass & ratatouille, duck, pork chop (the size of a rib eye!), paella & a second paella for the everyone to enjoy...we're all above and beyond our expectations! Our friends, all avid food lovers & chefs, were all completely satisfied. Mediterra came recommended by a friend, who said it's her "go to restaurant for the best in fine dining". Thank you for a wonderful evening, to the owners & staff of Mediterra. CiaoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterra is always a pleasureArthurJacobVIPDined on 8/24/2014Perfect Sunday weather so why not eat on their terrace? Their spring minestrone soup was so delicious! We had an enjoyable lunch, pleased that they offer both the brunch and lunch menus. There were many toddlers and infants and strollers but overall not too bad noise wise, maybe because the outdoor air mitigates the crying and fussing, etc. (there was an intermittent bit of that) - but overall not too bad.Special Features:
- ChillyDined on 8/23/2014Great food, extensive wine list . Felt the wine Stewart was a bit too aggressive trying to sell a more expensive bottle . Over all a very nice evening . Will go back for sure !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night!DELO102Dined on 8/23/2014What a wonderful evening we had at Mediterra! The food was outstanding and very tasty. Our waiter Martino was spot on and very attentive to our every need. We ordered the Paella Clasica for two The calasparra rice with chorizo pork sausage that accompanied the chicken, clams, mussels, shrimp & calamari…..was fabulous! The bread was homemade, with a side dipping oil with just the right amount of herbs..the best we have ever tasted. Don’t think you are too full for dessert, because the cheesecake is a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Apps were good special disappointedmarcofridaynightDined on 8/22/2014Apps were good, the special sucked, the wine by the glass was ok except for the rose, which was awful...get some stuff from Provence. Service seemed like they were ready to go home when the dining room cleared out at 9pm. We're not all old fogies...we're paying good money here to enjoy a nice evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.