Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie
124, rue St-Paul Ouest
Montreal, QC H2Y 1Z3Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mechantboeuf.com/
- Phone: 5147884020x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Wednesday : 5pm - 11pm
Thursday to Saturday: 5pm - 12h30am
Sunday to Wednesday : 5pm - 1am
Thursday to Saturday: 5pm - 3am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Steakhouse, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Sylvain Levaillant
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Entertainment: Happy hour : Thursday to Saturday
Live band : Tuesday & Wednedsay
Live DJ : Thursday to Saturday
- Cross Street: St-Sulpice
- Public Transit: Métro Place d'Armes
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Pour vous faciliter la vie, l'hôtel Nelligan à quelques pas du restaurant vous offre un service de voiturier au coût de 13.80$ incluant les taxes.
Just a few steps from the restaurant, Hôtel Nelligan offers valet parking for $13.80 including taxes.
A word from Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie
Quality, AAA Angus Beef, a delicious raw bar, artisanal cocktails, late-night menu, happening 5 @ 7s, live music and the best burger in town—Méchant Boeuf delivers on all fronts.Continued
This Old Montreal hub puts a fresh spin on English pub-style décor and French-inspired eats.
This Old Montreal hub puts a fresh spin on English pub-style décor and French-inspired eats.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (30)hot spot (27)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (17)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (11)special occasion (8)notable wine list (5)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A teaspon of honey...ybeeDined on 10/19/2014Went with 4 friends on a Sunday. There was a mistake in one of the orders but the waiter was quite gracious and pleasant about rectifying it. All was done with good humour. Food was ok, drinks very good. All made better by great service with a smile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceMartinDined on 10/17/2014La qualité du service et les choix musicaux sont excellents. Burgers very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressive Holiday MealNarmisDined on 10/13/2014In from out of town staying within walking distance. Given that it was a holiday and at the end of the season our experience may not be typical although the place was about half-full. Dishes were well presented but the quality of the beef was much less than expected especially given the name of the restaurant. Sides were good and toppings for the beef helped offset the quality issues.
- Not what we expectedThewb123VIPDined on 10/12/2014Sounded good, but we actually left after ordering mediocre cocktails. Menu was uninspired and the noise level was just horrible. Probably good for a big crowd who just want to have fun. We wanted a good dinner and we assumed it wasn't going to happen.Special Features:
- Excellent2shaynezDined on 9/20/2014Wanted to try this place with my girlfriend for quite a while. Service was great and food was deliciousI would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outSAbzmtlDined on 9/6/2014Everything was amazing from drinks food and service. I've been several times and everytime is a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fav restaurantKatrinaBDined on 9/6/2014The look, the people, the food, the music, the service, etc is outstanding! I love this place :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing nightSweetstuff16Dined on 9/6/2014Our night was great! The service was amazing, our waiter remembered all our names, made our anniversaries special. Food was great, oysters, wine and champagne were delicious! Can't wait to go back! Thank you MB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spencer48VIPDined on 8/30/2014Great little spot in Old Montreal. Traditional bistro fare with excellent burgers and fries. Great wine list and great desserts. Price point is moderate. Fun bar scene. You won't be disappointed if you go there!!!Special Features:
- Amazing dinner and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The dinner was fabulous. The wait staff were knowledgeable about not only the menu but what to do after in the area. Food was great. Poutine was the best I've ever had in Quebec. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good place to eat!AnikaVIPDined on 8/21/2014It is one of my favorite spots for dinner at the Old Port. It is part of a great hotel, food is good, nice ambiance with a DJ, nice service, great location!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodie02Dined on 8/15/2014As soon as we got there we were greeted which was awesome! The server was confused about where to seat us for at least 5 minutes which in real time is a long time. We got our drink and it was great. I got a steak and my boyfriend got the ribs. It was ok. I would not recommend it to people who are picky about how their food is done. The cost is also overpriced. The setting if the restaurant was very romantic and comfortable. Overall the experience was good but the biggest thing was the food.Special Features:
- Service sympathiqueCarolinelineDined on 7/31/2014Notre commande d'entrées a été oubliée, nous avons attendu plus de 30 minutes mais le serveur c'est excusé et nous a offert nos consommations. Un peu dispendieux pour le niveau de la nourriture. Rien pour se jetter par terre, mais quand meme bon. Décor interessant et confortable. Belle ambiance vraiment trop bruyante, mais service sympathique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice enough restaurantTeatimedVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food and service were just ok...nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Méchant boeuf, gentil staff!LouisCluvsfoodDined on 7/20/2014Great ambiance, very good service, delicious food! A must if you are in the Old Port area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to the beefSgoodyDined on 7/19/2014To be fair, we ordered calamari, spinach dip and pasta. In hindsight we should have ordered something beef related. Pasta was huge and alright; spinach dip tasted curdled; calamari were not crispy, but had a good dip. The restaurant was nice and the service was good. The above meal with 2 dirty martinis came to $75 with tax.Special Features:
- Expensive and loudNightOwlDined on 7/19/2014The maitre d was exceptional by providing our party the best table in the house - next to the windows. Food and ambiance was great although wine is way too expensive and noise level EXTREME to the level to be uncomfortable. Why the need of a DJ is beyond me. We finished off our dinner having coffee at another restaurant.Special Features:
- Over-rated.PoppiesDined on 7/16/2014Heard lots of ggod stuff and read many good reviews about this restaurant so made reservations to dine with friends visting from Dubai. Very disappointed. We had a late lunch at neighboring Jardin Nelson (terrific) and so opted for appetizers and wine only for dinner. Wine list was good; perfectly sized (8 oz) glasses. Fried calamari was atrocious. Served in a pile on checkered (wax) paper.... greasy and limp. Ate half at best. Caesar salad... really? Crab cakes were "good". Mini-burgers were good as well. Wait staff very friendly. Atmosphere OK; we were seated right in front of entertainment (duo). Kind of crowded and uncomforable; feeling that musicians watching one eat while playing their tunes. Would not return/recommend.
- Hip, young crowd, loud musicfoodloverDined on 7/11/2014The chairs have very short legs. Not comfortable with seats too low. Friendly waitress. Young crowd. Ear-deafening music. Not able to have a conversation. Good food and extensive bar offerings. Very friendly and energetic bar keepers. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone under 40 years old. This gal prefers a quieter location. Conversation is an important part of my dining experience.Special Features:
- Alright!DB79Dined on 7/11/2014Mechant Bouef was alright. The decor and vibe in the place was amazing, the live DJ was really good as well. Service was really good, and our appetizer was really tasty (pulled pork poutine). However our main meals were Alright. Nothin special with not a ton of flavor. Maybe we caught them on an off night, not sure, but I'd go back and give them another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyPalateDined on 7/5/2014Best meal we ate during out visit to Montreal. Food, service and ambiance was wonderful! Wish the music from the DJ in the corner had been turned down as it made conversation a bit difficult. Would definitely go back when we return to Montreal.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Extremely loud, had a DJ and a woman playing the violin. 2 large groups next to us had to yell to hear each other which further increased the noise level to a bar atmosphere. Octopus salad was almost completely onions and the mechant burger was extremely dry. Would definitely pick another of the many great restaurants in vieux Montreal next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Tout était parfait ! Bon rapport qualité prix l'ambiance etait bonne le service excellent tu ne manque de rien les serveurs sont a ta dispositions plein de produits régionaux absolument rien a dire 5*****Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party atmospherehungryfoodieDined on 6/26/2014Nice place, nice location, good food (very good burger). Noise was loud, so hard for conversation, but great for atmosphere.Special Features:
- The following 314 reviews are from the Mechant Boeuf Bar & Brasserie reviews archive.
- Must trySteph1305Dined on 6/18/2014This was my second time to the restaurant and first time for my wife. It was for an anniversary dinner and I had noted so on the open table reservation. The staff made mention of it when we arrived and had reserved a great window side table. The food was delicious, we had salmon tartar and a beets and goat cheese entre and scallops (fish of the day) and a sirloin steak. the portion vs price was very good. the service was attentive and well timed (not disruptive). The staff also arrange a reservation at the roof top terrasse for a night cap. Very Happy with our outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good!HappyDinerDined on 6/11/2014Had the sirloin - cooked as ordered, puréed potatoes were like velvet and super tasty! Service was fun and friendly. My friend had the 14 OZ ribs - plentiful, meaty and tasty. Will do a repeat. But if you're looking for a quiet dining experience - this isn't the place. Loud and fun.Special Features:
- Reliable RestaurantCupcakeDined on 6/10/2014I have been to Mechant Boeuf on multiple occasions for work travel and enjoy the food and ambience every time. It was wonderful to be seated by the window with out even asking and enjoy people watching of the beautiful Montreal fashionistas that walked by. Great location. An entertaining band was playing, making the environment loud but energetic. Bison tartare with salad was great. Overall enjoyable evening!Special Features:
- Grand Prix WinnerWolffgangVIPDined on 6/7/2014I chose Mechant for our Saturday night dining spot during Grand Prix weekend as the top spot for my teen age sons and I to have a guys steak night. Mechant is lively and vibrant with great DJ music. It is a loud noise level however. We tried the poutine as a Canadian treat and theirs was an outstanding take on the dish. Appetizers are large so you can share with 3-4 people. Steaks were very good, but not melt-in-your-mouth great. Service was excellent. Overall great experience. My sons and I do like a more casual, relaxed bistro more but we would go back again. The restaurant fits the style of the hotel Nelligan next door. Young, hip, energetic. A place to be seen during Grand Prix weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodpizzaman28Dined on 6/6/2014Food was awesome , food portions are on point, its not for first dates , the noise level is really high lol good for friends and groupsSpecial Features:
- Mechant Boeuf- a great way to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014This place is wonderful. Whether you're looking for the full dining experience, or just want to grab some tasty cocktails, this is a great place to go! In a great location, awesome environment, not to mention the cool waterfall design on one of the walls. Definitely a place I'll be going to again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...JBNashvilleDined on 5/25/2014For a place that is to specialize in beef I was underwhelmed. I had the sirloin which was not great quality however the flavor was good. It came with mixed veggies and mashed potatoes. The veggies were good but the potatoes had a strange taste, as if they had been frozen. I also had the French onion soup which was good but came out lukewarm. The service was great.
- Need lots of timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Had an early dinner before the theatre. Good thing I booked two hours before the start of the show because service was extremely slow. Thinking we had loads of time, we didn't mention our plans. We were there almost an hour before our food came. However, after eating dinner, we finally said we had theatre tickets and the rest of the service was very fast and efficient. Food was great, my Mechant burger, my husbands Skinny burger and our friends chicken chipotle burger and onion soup were extremely tasty.Special Features:
- GreatKcamDined on 5/20/2014Loved the oysters, I will be coming back soon. Service could of had been a little more attentive but overall very happy with the service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisedCyninthecityVIPDined on 5/16/2014This use to be one of my favourite restaurants for a quick bite to eat. I almost always order the beef tartar with fries and salad. It looks like they might've switched cooks or management or something. This time, I didn't care for the tartar what so ever (no taste), they were cheap on the fries and the salad was rolled up in a cucumber slice, so nice presentation, but again no taste hardly any dressing.
- great burgersjenfoodie514Dined on 5/16/2014consistent and great food. service is always superb. live music is well chosen and staff is friendlySpecial Features:
- Great 5 a 7madimattVIPDined on 4/29/2014I actually really enjoyed this restaurant for the ambiance more for it's food. Even on a Tuesday, there was a live band which was great. Their 5 a 7 is a fun option if you are in that neighborhood. The $21 foie gras poelee was quite small and tasteless with a chutney on the other side with fresh apples and strawberries in between. Not only that but they served it on a wooden plank and the oil from the foie leaked onto the table. It was gross. Thank goodness the waiter was nice enough to change the tablecloth. The $10 roasted beet salad was very small as well. Stick with the very interesting cocktail menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice...FamilydinnerDined on 4/27/2014We went to this restaurant with our kids at the beginning of the evening (5h00). We were alone in the restaurant. The service was good, although they forgot to bring us our oysters. The rest of the meal was really good. Our kids loved the pulled pork poutine and the fried calamari. Over all a good restaurant with friendly service.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceDreanneDined on 4/26/2014We had excellent service by Shawn. He made us feel like special client. The food was great and even if I am coeliac, they manage to serve me with food I didńt have ant reaction... Which i appreciate. I will for sure go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICETerriDined on 3/18/2014we truly enjoyed the food tasted as good as it looked... excellent service from the waitor Sean... the reound of shots we really appreciated will definelty come back... keep up the great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very interesting evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/11/2014A very interesting evening. The food was very good, our steaks were cooked just to our liking. The shared appetizer and dessert we shared were a little disappointing. Appetizer was eye appealing but flat on taste, the dessert was disappointing in size and taste for the price. The service and team were very friendly, one comment regarding the wine service could be improved. A little sloppy. The wine list pricey and not much depth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.