Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place
821 W Burlington Avenue
Western Springs, IL 60558Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mecenatbistro.com/
- Phone: (708) 246-8668
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday 4:00pm-11:00pm Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 4pm-8pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Kurecki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Mécénat is a casual, eclectic American restaurant with a creative and unique menu. We offer a full bar, lively atmosphere, and outdoor seating.
- Private Party Contact: Jack or Rob 7082468668x
- Entertainment: We offer live music on Friday & Saturday evenings. Our musicians range from blues to acoustic guitar, soft rock and are easy listening, background music.
- Special Events: At Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place we do a multitude of wine tastings and events on a regular basis. The best way to get current information is to visit on our website www.mecenatbistro.com
- Cross Street: Lawn and Wolf
- Public Transit: We are on the BNSF train line, Western Springs stop. The train from downtown comes out of Union Station and goes west towards Aurora. The restaurant faces the train tracks, so has easy on off access to train.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of street parking is usually available. There are no parking meters.
A word from Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place
Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place is a casual eclectic American restaurant with a creative and unique menu well paired with a notable wine list. We also cater to special events such as tastings, live music & have the ability to host your private party in our private dining room. We offer a full bar, lively atmosphere and outdoor seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place - Best Restaurants in Western Springs ›
Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (12)romantic (8)special occasion (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Casual DinnerJustDVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great! As always. My husband and I love walking to the restaurant and having a great casual dinner. Started out with the cheese and curterie board, then a salad and and appetizer. Then had a nice walk home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CasualJustDVIPDined on 11/7/2014Love this place. And love that it's right in our neighborhood. Food is excellent, but sometimes I'd like more "inexpensive" choices.Special Features:
- Great Meal Weak Endingthedonn57VIPDined on 11/1/2014The whole dining experience was excellent from the beginning. We had the bacon wrapped dates and scallop risotto as appetizers where were a special treat. The wine list by the glass included notables like Pouilly-Fuissé, Prisoner and E2. The food was excellent including the wedge salad, crab cakes and ribeye (which was a bit over cooked, but still tasty). For dessert we had the baked cookie, which was a chocolate delight. The only downer was the coffee which was incredibly poor. How do you focus on such a excellent dining experience which ends with a awful coffee.Special Features:
- $5 Burgers on TuesdaysDianaVIPDined on 10/28/2014We come here exclusively for the burger special on Tuesdays. We sit at the bar and always enjoy ourselves. Burgers are delicious especially on the pretzel bun. We've been a couple other times and weren't very impressed with the quality or flavor of the food. The burger special on Tuesdays definitely make it worthwhile though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really excellentnoneVIPDined on 10/18/2014Western Springs has its share of really good restaurants. Mecenet is outstanding. Warm, friendly staff. Great service. A complimentary rose on Sweetest Day. The squash and apple soup was delicious. We had the tilapia and tuna -- both dishes were great. Could not have been better. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger nightDiamondDaveVIPDined on 10/14/2014Tuesday night is burger special night, we both had the burgers and they were great, not to mention that almost everyone around us was enjoying the hamburgers too. My wife loved the truffle fries and I had the spinach salad and a bottle of wine. PerfectSpecial Features:
- Great Food and AtmosphereFoodieDined on 10/4/2014I was very pleasantly surprised by the decor and ambiance of the restaurant. It's small but beautifully appointed. The food was excellent and the wait staff knowlegable about the menu items. The portabello mushroom with vegetables was great - everything was cooked to perfection. Also noteable were the t-bone steak and salmon. A special request to change what came with the salmon was easily honored. Desserts were also very good. The Lava Cake was rich and just sweet enough. The vanilla gelatoserved with it was a great sweet accent to the slightly bittersweet choclate. Loved the small skillet in which the Peach Crisp was served.Special Features:
- Not as good as I rememberMomoftwoDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed Mecenet when we went there almost a year ago so we decided to try it again. The ambiance is nice. The first table we got had an oak wine barrel under it. I couldn't sit without having my legs jammed into it (very uncomfortable), is I asked to be reseated. The menu has a variety of options. 3/4 of us thought the food was mediocre and bland this time. My pasta dish didn't have much flavor, my husband's chicken was dry, and my friend's fish was bland with not much seasoning. This is the opposite of our experience last time, so maybe it was a change in chefs. Bummer, I'll be skipping them next time.Special Features:
- Delicious GNO dinnerdatenightdinerDined on 9/19/2014Went here for a girls' night out dinner. Service was S-L-O-W. So much, in fact, that the hostess had to come take our appetizer order because our waiter got busy. That aside, the cheese and charcuterie board was awesome! The perfect bite to start things off. The wedge salad is enormous and delicious. It definitely can be split between two people. I ordered the burger for dinner and it came with the typical fixings and fries. They have a nice assortment of martinis and a well-rounded wine list. The ambiance is very nice, and although it was too chilly a night for us, there is some outdoor seating. If you give the hostess your email address you immediately receive a postcard for 10% off your next dining experience.Special Features:
- good, consistent food and wineNMA1Dined on 9/18/2014Our group of 8 shared appetizers at a mid week get together. Good wine list and interesting specialy drinks gave each of us the opportunity to have what we wanted and try things we might not try on our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Good location for western suburbs dining. Atmosphere great for group of friends or date-night. Food was very good ranging from burger to fish dishes. Staff were great - friendly and very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just marvelous!noneVIPDined on 9/6/2014First visit. We've been to Vie and Davanti Enoteca, also in Western Springs and both are very good. We found Mecenet while walking through the downtown after dinner and it is a gem. Nice variety to the menu and wine list. Very reasonable pricing. Great service. Everything was delicious. We just loved everything and cannot recommend this place too highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEdwardDined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit to Mecenat for lunch. We're looking forward to enjoying dinner here soon with friends, and trying their wine and other entrees. This truly is a neighborhood gem, and we appreciate the wonderful service and the quiet ambience of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost potatoescrone80Dined on 8/16/2014Service was good, crab cakes very good. Husband's Dover sole came to our table looking as if it had been dropped. Only one fingerling potato remained on the plate and fish was in small pieces. However, he said it tasted good. When he mentioned lack of potatoes to our waitress she brought a dish full of them as he was finishing his entrée. We would go back, but Mecenat is not at the top of our list. We like good food, but presentation is important too, particularly at Mecenat's prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine butGripperVIPDined on 8/12/2014The wine was better than the food when I dined there. I had their portobello entree, which seemed thrown together with little though other than it be vegetarian. The mushroom was thin and dry, served over white rice, strewn with other vegetables. Uninspired.
- Tuesday Burgers & SangriaApproachableFoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Another terrific Tuesday night at Mecenat. Rose took wonderful care of us. As always the burgers & sangria are delicious. Loved the pretzel bun and adding the lightly fried red onion slices. Tried the white sangria -- light & summery, yum!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014My friend and I both had a salmon special. It was delicious and done perfectly.Special Features:
- Ordered lots of small platesLGdinerDined on 8/1/2014The small plates appealed to our table of 4 so we ordered most on the menu. I'm not a risotto person - but this one was absolutely delicious. Perfectly prepared asparagus. Other standouts: bacon wrapped dates, calimari, and the lava cake. Really solid restaurant! We will return.Special Features:
- The following 330 reviews are from the Mecenat Bistro & Gathering Place reviews archive.
- Great SpecialsGFSWSDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed the Burger Night Special along with the Sangria. We heard that the special nights will be changing soon and will look for the update.Special Features:
- AFoodieDined on 7/26/2014I ordered the a personal favorite (in other restaurants), skatewing. I was a little hesitant about the capers with which it was served, thinking they might overwhelm the delicately mild flavor of the skatewing, expecting that I would prefer the more traditional brown butter sauce that I am familiar with at other locations. I wasn't disappointed! The capers did not overwhelm; it seemed as if they had been rinsed. And the skatewing itself was perfectly done, probably the best I have ever had anywhere. Extremely tender and mild, with a slightly crispy pan-fried surface. I also ordered the PEI mussels for an appetizer. They were small and inadequately seasoned, in a sauce with abundant cream. Good, but could be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findDogMomTravelVIPDined on 7/13/2014Mecenat Bistro is a great find with high quality food "right around the corner". It was very quiet (aka slow) on Sunday night so not sure if that's typical, but we'll definitely go back. The service wasn't great but I often find when it's slow, service suffers. The food from the sole to swordfish to steak were all delicious. They have many gluten-free options and were flexible with sides.Special Features:
- DowntoEarthFoodiesDowntoEarthFoodiesDined on 6/24/2014Described once as "foodies" because of our love for good food and interesting pairings, we come from small town USA and are of meager upbringings. But we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE excellent food at nice, independently run places. Mecenat is no exception and certainly lives up to our expectations. We've been several times now with family (one of which is a regular and everyone knows his name) and the whole experience is brilliant. We've relished the food and noteworthy character in environment and staff alike. Jack's Caesar, truffle fries, pork chop and mussels are each excellent choices. Our request to take our mussel broth was met with an ample tub of it. On request, off menu items were prepared for us and were tasty. We love this "foodie" place!Special Features:
- fun menuStevechicago605VIPDined on 6/13/2014Really fun menu. Wide range of small plates. We had the mussels and baked brie. Both we excellent. Nice selection of wines by the glass so you can sample. Had the blackened shrimp rigatoni with cream sauce. Really week balanced. Nice room with good vibe but quiet enough to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Western Springs DinnermtbrVIPDined on 6/4/2014Downtown Western Springs is such a great place, but there are only a few local restaurants, and Mecenat fills a need quite nicely. Got a cheese board to start, very good, quite a few options to build your own. The blackened shrimp with pasta was great, and my dining partner got the pork chop, which was quite possibly the best prepared pork chop I have ever seen.Special Features:
- It's the foodBigEaterVIPDined on 5/24/2014Store front, ok. Kitschy surroundings, ok. Table cloths, ok. BUT, the food is wonderful: four small plates for the two of us. P.E.I. Mussels, mmmmmmm. Wonderful sauce, wow. Avocado fritters with corn, yummy. Coconut shrimp with curry, amazingly, TDF! Special risotto, tutta bene! Wonderful variety, good prices. Great time!Special Features:
- Return visit a hitKenJ629VIPDined on 5/24/2014My wife and I had been previously but this time we went back with out of town visitors. They really appreciated the atmosphere and quaint settings. The food was up to par as well. I had a soft shell crab appetizer which was very tasty and 3 of 4 had seafood dishes that were well received with my brother in law opting for a pork chop that he devoured. Deserts were great. I had the warm apple strudel with ice cream and other has creme brulee and gelato...all good. They have a very strong albeit small wine selection. ZD chardonnay is always a hit. We will definitely come back...maybe on a Tuesday for the 1/2 priced burgers and sangria.Special Features:
- Small Plate dinner was awesome!food4meVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went with 4 adults, and shared a number of appetizers rather than getting separate meals. Everything we had was excellent--bacon wrapped dates, sliders, risotto, brie, and shrimp were all perfectly prepared. Joe was an outstanding server as well. Look forward to going back again soon!Special Features:
- Business LunchBizzlunchDined on 5/14/2014The lunch was fine. Nothing other the top. Great location for sitting and chatting and enjoying lunch.Special Features:
- Great Find in Western SpringsBergieDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful Mother's Day brunch. The waiter was great, the food delicious and the decor is really cozy. Good wine list too!Special Features:
- Good spot - average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We really enjoy Mecenat -- good people and great location. However, the brunch on Mother's day was very average. Hoping things will improve to keep this gem in Western Springs.Special Features:
- ImprovedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014The food has definitely improved here!! Glad we gave it another try. Thanks, mecenat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience This Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014This was our 2nd visit to Mecenat, which was much better than our first. On our first visit, on a very cold evening this past winter, we were seated at a table directly across from the door and every time the door opened a cold gust of air would blow our way! Also, we had a 7:00 reservation and 2 members of our party ordered the short ribs, they were out of them. Big disappointment. Lastly, our waitress had an attitude! But this time, everything was great...the hostess was very helpful and accommodating, the waitress was great...friendly, knowledgeable, and patient, and the food was delicious. I had the portobello entree which was delish, and my husband had the pork chop which he said was excellent. We would definitely go back!
- Just okGreatFoodDined on 5/2/2014Our group of 6 had reservations on a Friday night. It was not too crowded. We were seated in the back room, no view. The waitress for got the salads that we ordered and came out with the food. She apologized and gave us 2 complimentary desserts instead which were good. My blacked shrimp and pasta was very good but others ordered white fish and that is all they got over a small bed of spinach. We all had 1-2 drinks and the bill was $110 per couple. We did not order appetizers. SO I felt that it was expensive for what we got. There are many restaurants around so Ill try them before I go back to this place.Special Features:
- Always WonderfulWinnerWinnerDined on 4/30/2014Had another wonderful experience here. I love the combination of upscale delicious food in the comfortable scene! Tried some of the waitress' recommended specials and the skatewing was delicious! Definitely recommend. Always a great time here!Special Features:
- Bad serverWinosDined on 4/29/2014Waitress tried to charge us for drinks we never had and acted as though she was doing us a favor by taking it off, $35. Worthwe still gave her a $22. Tip, for which we checked a few times and she claimed we only gave her $2. Not good !and two of my friends said they had similar experiences.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Great food, but so noisy on a Friday night we could hardly talk.Special Features:
- Mécénat BistroChicShabbyDined on 4/20/2014Mécénat Bistro is a welcome breath of fresh air to the overcrowded and noisy chain restaurants. Delicious food and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchWineFanDined on 4/20/2014They usually don't do breakfast, but the food was outstanding. Great presentation. Spinach & bacon quiche excellent.Special Features:
- Wow.WinnerWinnerDined on 4/16/2014I have never, NEVER been to a place and be treated the way they treat their guests here. From the host to the owner this was the BEST dinner ever! Food was awesome & uber tasty while still reasonably priced. We took a chance via opentable recommending this in the area-and I fell in love with a bottle of wine recommended by our server, Maurilio. They had some sort of TV show taping going on yet, the food came out promptly and was beautiful to start-and DELICIOUS to finish. Just great, cant say enough goo things!Special Features:
- NEIGHBORHOODJustDVIPDined on 4/12/2014Love having this restaurant right in the neighborhood. Good food, entertainment at the bar if we want to have an after dinner drink, and we almost always see someone we know.Special Features: