Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place
821 W Burlington Avenue
Western Springs, IL 60558Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mecenatbistro.com/
- Phone: 7082468668x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday 11:00am-11:00pm Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 3pm-8pm
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Kurecki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Mécénat is a casual, eclectic American restaurant with a creative and unique menu. We offer a full bar, lively atmosphere, and outdoor seating.
- Private Party Contact: Jack or Rob 7082468668x
- Entertainment: We offer live music on Friday & Saturday evenings. Our musicians range from blues to acoustic guitar, soft rock and are easy listening, background music.
- Special Events: At Mécénat we do a multitude of wine tastings and events on a regular basis. The best way to get current information is to visit on our website www.mecenatbistro.com
- Cross Street: Lawn and Wolf
- Public Transit: We are on the BNSF train line, Western Springs stop. The train from downtown comes out of Union Station and goes west towards Aurora. The restaurant faces the train tracks, so has easy on off access to train.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Plenty of street parking is usually available. There are no parking meters.
A word from Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place
Mécénat is a casual eclectic American restaurant with a creative and unique menu well paired with a notable wine list. We also cater to special events such as tastings, live music & have the ability to host your private party in our private dining room. We offer a full bar, lively atmosphere and outdoor seating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place - Best Restaurants in Western Springs ›
Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (17)notable wine list (13)good for groups (10)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (6)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- good, consistent food and wineNMA1Dined on 9/18/2014Our group of 8 shared appetizers at a mid week get together. Good wine list and interesting specialy drinks gave each of us the opportunity to have what we wanted and try things we might not try on our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Good location for western suburbs dining. Atmosphere great for group of friends or date-night. Food was very good ranging from burger to fish dishes. Staff were great - friendly and very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just marvelous!noneVIPDined on 9/6/2014First visit. We've been to Vie and Davanti Enoteca, also in Western Springs and both are very good. We found Mecenet while walking through the downtown after dinner and it is a gem. Nice variety to the menu and wine list. Very reasonable pricing. Great service. Everything was delicious. We just loved everything and cannot recommend this place too highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEdwardDined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit to Mecenat for lunch. We're looking forward to enjoying dinner here soon with friends, and trying their wine and other entrees. This truly is a neighborhood gem, and we appreciate the wonderful service and the quiet ambience of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost potatoescrone80Dined on 8/16/2014Service was good, crab cakes very good. Husband's Dover sole came to our table looking as if it had been dropped. Only one fingerling potato remained on the plate and fish was in small pieces. However, he said it tasted good. When he mentioned lack of potatoes to our waitress she brought a dish full of them as he was finishing his entrée. We would go back, but Mecenat is not at the top of our list. We like good food, but presentation is important too, particularly at Mecenat's prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine butGripperVIPDined on 8/12/2014The wine was better than the food when I dined there. I had their portobello entree, which seemed thrown together with little though other than it be vegetarian. The mushroom was thin and dry, served over white rice, strewn with other vegetables. Uninspired.
- Tuesday Burgers & SangriaApproachableFoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Another terrific Tuesday night at Mecenat. Rose took wonderful care of us. As always the burgers & sangria are delicious. Loved the pretzel bun and adding the lightly fried red onion slices. Tried the white sangria -- light & summery, yum!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014My friend and I both had a salmon special. It was delicious and done perfectly.Special Features:
- Ordered lots of small platesLGdinerDined on 8/1/2014The small plates appealed to our table of 4 so we ordered most on the menu. I'm not a risotto person - but this one was absolutely delicious. Perfectly prepared asparagus. Other standouts: bacon wrapped dates, calimari, and the lava cake. Really solid restaurant! We will return.Special Features:
- Great SpecialsGFSWSDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed the Burger Night Special along with the Sangria. We heard that the special nights will be changing soon and will look for the update.Special Features:
- AFoodieDined on 7/26/2014I ordered the a personal favorite (in other restaurants), skatewing. I was a little hesitant about the capers with which it was served, thinking they might overwhelm the delicately mild flavor of the skatewing, expecting that I would prefer the more traditional brown butter sauce that I am familiar with at other locations. I wasn't disappointed! The capers did not overwhelm; it seemed as if they had been rinsed. And the skatewing itself was perfectly done, probably the best I have ever had anywhere. Extremely tender and mild, with a slightly crispy pan-fried surface. I also ordered the PEI mussels for an appetizer. They were small and inadequately seasoned, in a sauce with abundant cream. Good, but could be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findDogMomTravelVIPDined on 7/13/2014Mecenat Bistro is a great find with high quality food "right around the corner". It was very quiet (aka slow) on Sunday night so not sure if that's typical, but we'll definitely go back. The service wasn't great but I often find when it's slow, service suffers. The food from the sole to swordfish to steak were all delicious. They have many gluten-free options and were flexible with sides.Special Features:
- DowntoEarthFoodiesDowntoEarthFoodiesDined on 6/24/2014Described once as "foodies" because of our love for good food and interesting pairings, we come from small town USA and are of meager upbringings. But we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE excellent food at nice, independently run places. Mecenat is no exception and certainly lives up to our expectations. We've been several times now with family (one of which is a regular and everyone knows his name) and the whole experience is brilliant. We've relished the food and noteworthy character in environment and staff alike. Jack's Caesar, truffle fries, pork chop and mussels are each excellent choices. Our request to take our mussel broth was met with an ample tub of it. On request, off menu items were prepared for us and were tasty. We love this "foodie" place!Special Features:
- fun menuStevechicago605VIPDined on 6/13/2014Really fun menu. Wide range of small plates. We had the mussels and baked brie. Both we excellent. Nice selection of wines by the glass so you can sample. Had the blackened shrimp rigatoni with cream sauce. Really week balanced. Nice room with good vibe but quiet enough to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Western Springs DinnermtbrVIPDined on 6/4/2014Downtown Western Springs is such a great place, but there are only a few local restaurants, and Mecenat fills a need quite nicely. Got a cheese board to start, very good, quite a few options to build your own. The blackened shrimp with pasta was great, and my dining partner got the pork chop, which was quite possibly the best prepared pork chop I have ever seen.Special Features:
- It's the foodBigEaterVIPDined on 5/24/2014Store front, ok. Kitschy surroundings, ok. Table cloths, ok. BUT, the food is wonderful: four small plates for the two of us. P.E.I. Mussels, mmmmmmm. Wonderful sauce, wow. Avocado fritters with corn, yummy. Coconut shrimp with curry, amazingly, TDF! Special risotto, tutta bene! Wonderful variety, good prices. Great time!Special Features:
- Return visit a hitKenJ629Dined on 5/24/2014My wife and I had been previously but this time we went back with out of town visitors. They really appreciated the atmosphere and quaint settings. The food was up to par as well. I had a soft shell crab appetizer which was very tasty and 3 of 4 had seafood dishes that were well received with my brother in law opting for a pork chop that he devoured. Deserts were great. I had the warm apple strudel with ice cream and other has creme brulee and gelato...all good. They have a very strong albeit small wine selection. ZD chardonnay is always a hit. We will definitely come back...maybe on a Tuesday for the 1/2 priced burgers and sangria.Special Features:
- The following 322 reviews are from the Mécénat Bistro & Gathering Place reviews archive.
- Small Plate dinner was awesome!food4meVIPDined on 5/17/2014We went with 4 adults, and shared a number of appetizers rather than getting separate meals. Everything we had was excellent--bacon wrapped dates, sliders, risotto, brie, and shrimp were all perfectly prepared. Joe was an outstanding server as well. Look forward to going back again soon!Special Features:
- Business LunchBizzlunchDined on 5/14/2014The lunch was fine. Nothing other the top. Great location for sitting and chatting and enjoying lunch.Special Features:
- Great Find in Western SpringsBergieDined on 5/11/2014We had a wonderful Mother's Day brunch. The waiter was great, the food delicious and the decor is really cozy. Good wine list too!Special Features:
- Good spot - average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014We really enjoy Mecenat -- good people and great location. However, the brunch on Mother's day was very average. Hoping things will improve to keep this gem in Western Springs.Special Features:
- ImprovedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/2014The food has definitely improved here!! Glad we gave it another try. Thanks, mecenat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience This Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014This was our 2nd visit to Mecenat, which was much better than our first. On our first visit, on a very cold evening this past winter, we were seated at a table directly across from the door and every time the door opened a cold gust of air would blow our way! Also, we had a 7:00 reservation and 2 members of our party ordered the short ribs, they were out of them. Big disappointment. Lastly, our waitress had an attitude! But this time, everything was great...the hostess was very helpful and accommodating, the waitress was great...friendly, knowledgeable, and patient, and the food was delicious. I had the portobello entree which was delish, and my husband had the pork chop which he said was excellent. We would definitely go back!
- Just okGreatFoodDined on 5/2/2014Our group of 6 had reservations on a Friday night. It was not too crowded. We were seated in the back room, no view. The waitress for got the salads that we ordered and came out with the food. She apologized and gave us 2 complimentary desserts instead which were good. My blacked shrimp and pasta was very good but others ordered white fish and that is all they got over a small bed of spinach. We all had 1-2 drinks and the bill was $110 per couple. We did not order appetizers. SO I felt that it was expensive for what we got. There are many restaurants around so Ill try them before I go back to this place.Special Features:
- Always WonderfulWinnerWinnerDined on 4/30/2014Had another wonderful experience here. I love the combination of upscale delicious food in the comfortable scene! Tried some of the waitress' recommended specials and the skatewing was delicious! Definitely recommend. Always a great time here!Special Features:
- Bad serverWinosDined on 4/29/2014Waitress tried to charge us for drinks we never had and acted as though she was doing us a favor by taking it off, $35. Worthwe still gave her a $22. Tip, for which we checked a few times and she claimed we only gave her $2. Not good !and two of my friends said they had similar experiences.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014Great food, but so noisy on a Friday night we could hardly talk.Special Features:
- Mécénat BistroChicShabbyDined on 4/20/2014Mécénat Bistro is a welcome breath of fresh air to the overcrowded and noisy chain restaurants. Delicious food and accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchWineFanDined on 4/20/2014They usually don't do breakfast, but the food was outstanding. Great presentation. Spinach & bacon quiche excellent.Special Features:
- Wow.WinnerWinnerDined on 4/16/2014I have never, NEVER been to a place and be treated the way they treat their guests here. From the host to the owner this was the BEST dinner ever! Food was awesome & uber tasty while still reasonably priced. We took a chance via opentable recommending this in the area-and I fell in love with a bottle of wine recommended by our server, Maurilio. They had some sort of TV show taping going on yet, the food came out promptly and was beautiful to start-and DELICIOUS to finish. Just great, cant say enough goo things!Special Features:
- NEIGHBORHOODJustDVIPDined on 4/12/2014Love having this restaurant right in the neighborhood. Good food, entertainment at the bar if we want to have an after dinner drink, and we almost always see someone we know.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodie53Dined on 4/12/2014It was our first time at Mecenat Bistro with friends who live in the area. The atmosphere is very warm and they had someone playing guitar, so it made a great first impression. Our bruschetta appetizer was very good so I had high hopes for dinner. I ordered the 8oz filet with Béarnaise sauce and brussels sprouts, my husband the Moroccan salmon special. The steak was well cooked but very tough for the cut and being priced at $30. The Béarnaise was bland and detracted from the dish. My husband described his entrée as "not good at all". I hate spending $120 and walking out dissatisfied.
- Yummy!99BalloonsDined on 4/4/2014Seriously great restaurant-so happy I stumbled across it while my reservation was not honored on time at a nearby restaurant. Already booked my reservation for Mother's Day as my Mom appreciates great food & service as much as I do. Try the duck eggrolls! A must have!Special Features:
- Our reservation was for 12:30PM.corkieVIPDined on 4/4/2014Our reservation was for 12:30PM. We were the only ones in the restaurant for at least 45 min. It was sad to see. Since the food and the service are good, I hope this dearth of customers isn't a sign of things to come. It would a shame to loose such a nice eating establishment.Special Features:
- Delicious as always!WinnerWinnerDined on 3/28/2014I love, love, love this place! The food is always deliciously consistent and they always have something new! This time I tried their Friday night fish fry and it was out of this world! Beer Battered! Great experience as always!Special Features:
- Always Enjoy Eating HereDMoneyVIPDined on 3/26/2014Good spot for a date. Can be a little loud so recommend sitting toward back of the restaurant but they do a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place......HeatherC78VIPDined on 3/26/2014Never a complaint when I go here. I was able to stop in for lunch after a doctors appointment with my Mom. Her & my Dad live in Berwyn & will be coming here now. She loved it & as always Melissa was a doll!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the theaterjsamp57VIPDined on 3/22/2014Enjoy this restaurant before performances at the great community theater, The Theater of Western Springs. Definitely worth trying both. The restaurant has a new menu which has a much nicer selection than previously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly niceFoodieonWedVIPDined on 3/12/2014The 6 of us tried Mecenat on a Wed. night. The décor was tasteful, the service very good, and the food was getting favorable comments during the appetizers (the Buschetta platter, the calamari, and the bacon wrapped dates). Unfortunately, the verdict was not unanimous for our entrees. The braised beef, scallops, and fish selections were fine, but 2 of the people had the beef sandwiches which were so salty that they were almost inedible. Deserts were good and the wine selections (and prices) were excellent. Overall, a pretty good experience but I'd have to try a few more of the entrees to be able to recommend it to anyone.
- great foodBwallDined on 3/7/2014I love the food at Mecenat. The chef makes everything very tasty! and the skinny, crispy fries are delish too! If you haven' tried it in awhile, you should. also the bar is gorgeous. oh, and really good live music on Friday nights (usually one musician/singer).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.