942 N Rampart St
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
BistroPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.meauxbar.com/
- Phone: (504) 569-9979
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served Monday through Thursday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday and Saturday 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bistro, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Kristen Essig
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Meauxbar Bistro
Located on a picturesque corner of the Vieux Carre, Meauxbar is a vibrant neighborhood gem. A typical evening finds an eclectic mix of French Quarter residents, locals from across the city, as well as out of town visitors. Accessible and smart, with a unique worldview, our food and beverage menus are reflected in locally-inspired, modern bistro fare created by Chef Kristen Essig.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Meauxbar Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (77)special occasion (49)romantic (39)hot spot (28)notable wine list (24)late-night find (14)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (3)Show More
- love2dine2Dined on 11/21/2014Because this isn't one of the local "tourist traps" in the French Quarter, Meauxbar doesn't get the attention it deserves. I have been there twice and both times I left impressed..........and I am from the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid and AffordablemarienkaferDined on 11/18/2014Best fries in the city and only $5 - they could charge twice that for the quality and portion they serve! Delicious and creative pork belly & scallop appetizer too. Entrees were good - a twist on Coq au Vin and a grilled cheese that needed more cheese to justify that name - but ultimately the first courses were better, like at a lot of restaurants. Service was weird; abrupt at first, then definitely on the slow side even though the restaurant was just about half full. The server, Elle, seemed really new to the game.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choice pre Mahalia JacksonRoRoDined on 11/18/2014Food was very good. Service was a little slow. Wine markup seemed high- You can drink cocktails cheaper than wine. Place is small so you may not get a table without reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater Dinner NightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014The location is perfect for an early dinner before a show at Mahalia Jackson or the Saenger theater. Parking is super easy in front of Armstrong Park (huge bonus for French Quarter). The food was great and the service was right on point. The restaurant serves local products (extra points) and has a great bar with some good cocktails (hotty toddy's was the special on a surprisingly cold night). It's a little noisy but works with the decor and the size. The seating is fairly congested and it's easy to hear every word of the conversation at the table next to you. The only issue I found at this place was everything was about $2-$3 overpriced. When you order a few things to try, it all adds up very quickly. What can you expect though for a place technically on the outskirts of the quarter. Overall, great place for a couple's night or a foursome dinner before a great show. Make reservations on Opentable @ 6-630 and be at the show by 730/8.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought4LFoodDined on 11/17/2014The place sounds interesting when you read their site and menu. But, the food is actually rather boring and not worth the price. The bone marrow small plate was cool to the temperature, tiny and flavorless. The lamb loin was cooked perfectly, but no flavor, and also cool. For NOLA, this place is mediocre. It will do great in Baltimore. They were out of several wines and a couple dishes when I was there. The were out of dessert as well. Service is wet behind the ears.
- What was great already, is new and improved!CritifurDined on 11/16/2014I have been coming here over the years to support a small local business, and friends for over ten years. I have been away for awhile, and I was unaware that the restaurant had a new owner and chef. To my very pleasant joy, it is just as good, different, but just as good. There have been small changes to the decor, the ambiance is a bit more energetic, and the food is still fantastic. The menu had some things that were similar to past menus, but I went for the new. The whole wheat bread was earthy, crusty and fresh, with on-site churned fresh butter from locally sourced dairy. The goat cheese tart was elegant and joyful, I wish I could make it for any dinnet guests I have. The Meauxbar salad was good (also with locally sourced seasonal ingredients), and a good palate cleanser for the next course. I had Paneed Pork Escalope, and it was perfectly cooked, though maybe just slightly to oily, but the flavours were just right. I did not enjoy the Potato Gnocchi as much, it was a bit blander, but the gnocchi was also made just right. I ended with the Chocolate & Salted Caramel Dacquoise. A must have. Next time I am aiming for the Olive Oil cake or ice cream. I really look forward to my next trip to New Orleans, Meauxbar is always on my list of to dos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The New Meaubar...disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014My wife and absolutely loved the old Meauxbar for the wonderfully executed food. The New York strip and the spaghetti bordelaise were fantastic. Now the strip has been replaced with a hanger steak and you are charged for iced tea refills....very disappointed.
- My wife's new favorite place!TopshelfboozeguyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Meauxbar never disappoints. We have brought three seperate groups of friends and everyone loves it. The menu is a perfect balance of comfort and progressive food. The hardest and the best this about the menu is choosing what to order. We always end up ordering extra small plates to share. Why choose when you can order both? The staff is also always to kind. Everyone has a smile. I cannot think of another place where this happens. Additionally, everytime we are at Meauxbar we see a friend. It is not just a hot spot or fun restaurant; it is a retreat for anyone who goes there. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabsDined on 11/15/2014French wines only & we prefer California. The pasta bolognese is just not the same. I would suggest reworking that dish. The gnocchi & hanger steak were good. Escargot & bone marrow and the sweetbreads were okay. Service was good. Ambiance was good, but the new tables are painfully small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way.AllieVIPDined on 11/12/2014The food was inspired. The service was friendly, attentive, and seamless. We were very pleased with the wine that was recommended for us. Walking in, we were made to feel like VIPs. Walking out, we felt like old friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome right from the startNOLAGEMDined on 11/9/2014We were seated immediately at the reserved time slot. Service was outstanding throughout the entire meal. Food was delicious from the first bite to the last. An awesome dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014The food was fabulous!! No wait time. Waitress was pleasant... Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Outstanding food, fresh and delicious. I wanted to try everything on the menu! They offer both small and large plates. Make sure you make a reservation, as seating is limited. But you can dine at the bar and still enjoySpecial Features:
- Good Food but NoisytominmarignyDined on 10/31/2014We live in the neighborhood and eat out multiple times each week. The food my wife and I enjoyed was very good. The noise level was too much...we could not talk comfortably at out table. Wait staff attentive and helpful. Glad that the nice restaurant has reopened. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this bistro!LuvnolaDined on 10/26/2014The food was fabulous--creative, lovely presentation. Terrific wine list, friendly and execellant service. We highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terry4everVIPDined on 10/25/2014The crab quinoa salad was better than the crab waldorf saladSpecial Features:
- What happened?quarter2eatDined on 10/25/2014The old MeaxBar was warm friendly elegant and a real find in the quarter! The new place is cold ugly bad lighting and wait staff that seems to wander thru very detached and disinterested! So loins you could not hear person across the table! Wine overpriced , food took forever and nothing was memorable! I live in the quarter and will not be back nor recommend it to anyone! Too many good places here to waste your time and money there! The past owners would be horrified!
- amateurish foodDoc4foodVIPDined on 10/19/2014Loved it under previous ownership So disappointed with new chef One hour wait for starters which were not worth the wait Menu and food very confused and poorly conceived Good wine list is only redeeming feature and they refunded costs of starters
- Meauxbar raising the barHelloAKTDined on 10/19/2014OUTSTANDING SERVICE!!!!! Went on a busy night when there was low staff in the kitchen (apparently). Our server and the kitchen staff went above and beyond in making sure we were taken care of even though the kitchen was backed up. FOOD was worth the wait - artful, simple and so satisfying. The Gulf Fish Almondine spoke to my soul! A very well done, upscale neighborhood bistro that feels right for a date night or just a night to treat yourself to something wonderful. Chef Kristen, YOU ARE AWESOME!Special Features:
- Needs workBeaunerVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were let down by the food and service. Most of the dishes were "one note" and many of the seasoning combos were repeated in several dishes. While the service staff is cordial and friendly, they lack basic service skills. Wine service was especially poor as our server did not bring the wine until we were half way through with our appetizers (meh) and had a difficult time actually getting the bottle open. The place has potential, but much work is needed to polish both front and back of the house skills.Special Features:
- Perfect before the theatre spotCheckitoutDined on 10/17/2014Had dinner there before attending the ballet across the street. Not many good restaurants within walking distance of the Mahalia Jackson Theatre, so this one is a double gem. Innovative menu offerings - many of which hit it right on. We shared a variety of appetizers, my favorite being the crabmeat salad. Definitely worth going back to. Friendly service, has a real buzz.Special Features:
- Nothing short of amazing!vnh926Dined on 10/9/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. Our waiter was amazing, I believe his name was Adrian. He recommended dishes for us to try and everything was great! We had the escargot in bone, chicken liver pate with beet caviar (sooo good!) for starters. Our entrees were delicious, I had the lamb and my wife had the paneed pork. The waiter recommended that she get the pork dish and after trying it I wished I had ordered that as well. The Dacquoise is probably our favorite dessert ever. We loved this restaurant and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of Nola trip2tall1Dined on 10/9/2014Food was exceptional, creative. As stated, french with a New Orleans flair. Strong farm-to-table orientation, so items some items will change periodically. Company is frequently featured and was wonderful. Goat cheese onion tart is a staple and quite good. Highlight of the small plates was the escargot/marrow. Do the the herbsainte luge with it. Room was just over half full most of meal and sound level was not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service and Food1stgermainiacDined on 10/7/2014Thank you for you outstanding customer service. I appreciated the call from the hostess the day before and the suggestion to arrive slightly earlier, so our group could make it to the theater in time. The cocktails and the food were spot on! The small and then larger portion of food on the menu is ideal when sharing dishes!Special Features:
- Everything was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had a group of 4 and everything was incredible. The Paneed pork, hanger steak, grilled cheese and fish amandine...OH MY. I cannot wait to go back. The food was truly exceptional.Special Features:
- WonderfulNOLADinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Great food, great service. Possibly the best frites in New Orleans. Excellent sweetbreads and goat cheese tart. We loved the old Meauxbar Bistro. This new iteration, which has a similar vibe and a similar (but not too) menu, may be be even better. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisitely Prepared Local FaremaryandkenDined on 9/25/2014With its warm, friendly vibe, this small, neighborhood gem offers casual bistro dining without all the fanfare. Menu is small but offers a good range of selections using ingredients that are fresh, local and exquisitely prepared. The featured fish of the evening was a perfectly prepared, fresh pompano that melted in your mouth. The wine list offers enough variety to satisfy most tastes. We definitely plan to return on future visits from our hometown of Mobile, AL!Special Features:
- Apps came and thenTrickVIPDined on 9/25/2014We waited over an hour for further courses before leaving. The host was kind enough to comp our drinks but it was a disappointing experience.
- Meaux BarLuluDined on 9/19/2014is convenient for LPO event.. Great food, love that Penyps (sp?) drink, fine wait staffSpecial Features:
- Great food and serviceNOfoodieDined on 9/6/2014We had crab & quinoa salad and the French onion grilled cheese. Unbelievably good. The service was great also. We will definitely go back. I highly recommend both of these dishes.Special Features:
- Really Really Good!KevinJDined on 9/1/2014The service and food we had were wonderful. There were a combination of basics (hangar steak and fries) to really creative (beef cheek) that all were flavorful and delicious. Nice portioning on the cheese plate as well. We had a great dinner and will be back on our next visit to New Orleans.Special Features:
- DisappointingDZLdogVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were big fans of both the old Meauxbar and Ste. Marie, so what could go wrong with the merger of the two, right? Well, first, let me say that most of the food -- especially the crab and quinoa salad and the grilled cheese sandwich -- was excellent. Now for the bad stuff. The decor was completely off-putting. The old Meauxbar had a warm, inviting, cozy decor. The new one has none of those attributes. The gray and black paint scheme has all the warmth of an office, and the lighting makes things even worse. As for the food, one of the dishes we had -- a small plate containing shrimp and tomato aspic -- was awful. The shrimp was tasteless and tough, the tomato was too sweet, and the consistency of the aspic was unpleasant.
- Food was deliciousmax1Dined on 8/31/2014Cannot say enough good things - the food was delicious, the presentation beautiful and the service attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inspired NOLA cookingExtranjeroVIPDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant wouldn't be out of place in the coolest parts of Brooklyn, and the food would withstand the harshest critics. It was so good we went back twice on our short visit to New Orleans. The fish amandine and the pork panee were particular highlights, but everything was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed our dinner. We were there with good friends, the service was great . My companion that never comments much commented several time to me and others that he had a great meal. .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent. Chef interacts with customers nicely. A bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meadowlarkmeadowlarkDined on 8/21/2014the recent renovations to meauxbar are all good. lighting is softer, color muted, seating more comfortable...like the banquettes. chef kristen's food is superb as always, with slightly unusual offerings that deliver great flavor. from appetizers to dessert, each course has a nice range of choices. we loved the old proprietors, but think the new team is absolutely tops! we'll be back.Special Features:
- DelicioustengohambreDined on 8/18/2014the food is clean, creative, balanced and tasty. the ambiance isn't as nice as Sainte Marie was, which is now closed but was owned by the same people and had the same chef, but for me it's all about the food.Special Features:
- Food Great a new place, changesCDM1Dined on 8/16/2014We were disappointed that it was all new manager, staff and décor. It was much too loud! The neighborhood feeling was gone. BUT, the food was outstanding and the evening turned out fine! If they could fix the noise and lighting, it would be great.The service was great, but he had to repeat over and over because the table of four could not hear him. He had to talk to each person individually. We were at a curved booth and you could only hear the person next to you. The lighting was so low, people got out their cellphone flashlights to read the menu. The cocktails were not the greatest, and we didn't order anything exotic (traditional martini and manhattans). Do a few modifications and it could be great or the chef needs to go somewhere else!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Divine and delicious. Perfect balance of flavors. Gorgeous fresh ingredients that delight the palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.