Meat & Potatoes
649 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Meat & Potatoes
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meatandpotatoespgh.com/
- Phone: (412) 325-7007
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Wednesday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm-11:00pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Richard DeShantz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For events big or small, Meat & Potatoes catering scales our service to whatever your needs are. Our Full Service catering takes care of every aspect of an event, working with you from the early planning stage, developing customized menus and pricing options. We have a great network of suppliers and venues that we'll rely on to pull the whole thing together. We are also an approved caterer in all of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust venues. We look forward to working with you! Contact Katelyn Roney at 412-325-7007 for all of your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: At Meat & Potatoes, we offer 2 separate private dining experiences.
1. Private dining room 1 can seat up to 10 guests.
2. Private dining room 2 can seat up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Sara DeShantz 4123257007x
- Cross Street: Between 6th and 7th Street
- Public Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: In the same building as our restaurant there is an eight story parking garage that is open 24 hours. Meat & Potatoes will be offering reduced rate parking for our patrons who park in the Theater Square garage. There are also numerous parking garages and lots within a 3 block vicinity of Meat & Potatoes.
A word from Meat & Potatoes
Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Meat & Potatoes - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Meat & Potatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (141)hot spot (109)vibrant bar scene (93)special occasion (70)great for brunch (45)late-night find (42)neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (35)romantic (28)good for groups (26)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Worth the wait!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We really enjoyed our time at Meat & Potatoes. The scene is hipster - fun people watching, but the noise level isn't too loud. The food is really, really good. We ordered several small dishes and one entree. The only thing is that the small dishes and the appetizers are NOT small - they are truly meant to be shared by at LEAST 2 people! But, really, overall, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A welcome find in PittsburghPittNewcomerDined on 11/13/2014What a great find. Can't believe it took me this long to get here. The food was extremely well prepared, the wine list diverse and the ambience great. So often Pittsburgh restaurants offer mediocre food for ridiculously high prices but Meat & Potatoes delivered creative, well prepared entrees for a very fair price. Thank you! Refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant-lousy furnitureMJW1VIPDined on 11/10/2014Food, service and cocktails cannot be beat anywhere in Pittsburgh. We were moved from one table that could not be steadied, and they put two tables together for the four of us and the tables did not match up and were both unsteady, although not as bad as the first one. How can a restaurant this good not invest in some tables that work? I will be back regardless because of the food, cocktails and service but--"C'MON MAN"get some new tables!Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Quick appetizers & main was shortly after. Didn't have to wait for drink service & our table was ready at our reserved time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestElleKayeDined on 11/5/2014Meat & Potatoes is hands down one of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh. It's the whole package. This is how you create an amazing restaurant. Game over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Goodrk113Dined on 11/5/2014I always enjoy my visits here. Food was excellent as always, I love the ambiance, and the service was good.Special Features:
- Great food and cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014This was my second time to Meat & Potatoes and is was delicious. The mussels never disappoint and the St. Pepper's Old Fashioned was one of the best cocktails I have had in the city. I highly recommend grabbing a couple of "snacks" for an appetizer.Special Features:
- Great spot before theaterProfDined on 11/2/2014This place was jumping early in the evening before a Steelers game as well as performances in the Byham and Benedum Theaters. The food and service are exceptional. Our server made certain that we had plenty of time to make the opening curtain of our play and provided knowledgeable suggestions about drinks, main dishes and deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuGEKingDined on 11/2/2014Surprised by the limited brunch menu. We attempted to get reservations for a couple of months here. I was surprised that the menu was very limited for Sunday Brunch. Not much of a "meat and potatoes" feel. Drink, including a nice bloody mary bar, were awesome so the day wasn't a complete dud.Special Features:
- Good meal, once we got seated...OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 11/1/2014We were looking forward to a nice meal before an 8:00 Saturday night show. Arrived early for a 6:30 reservation and were not seated by the 4 hostesses until after 7. The waitress, once informed, was able to help get us quickly through the meal and kept an eye on the clock (she invited us back for dessert after the show as there wouldn't be time for it). That all being said, the meal was routinely good. The roast chicken pozole was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent Option for Downtown PGHOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Everything here was great. Tried the Bramble cocktail, really good. The bone marrow was excellent, as was the hanger steak. And the chocolate pot de creme is beyond decadent. Service was friendly and efficient. Upscale, but not a pretentious atmosphere at all. This place is very popular, so make sure you have reservation. Our reservation was for 5:00. While waiting to check in, heard the hostess tell someone without that they could not be accommodated until 10:30 p.m. You can eat at the bar, but even that filled up quickly on a Saturday evening. The bar scene looked like it was a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Good food, loud environmentPastaman1Dined on 10/30/2014The menu is well developed for this energetic environment. The quality is good with a good beer and wine menu. The service was excellent. The only areas that we found that needed improvement is the noise level and the tightness of the tables. Its hard to talk across the small two person table and very difficult to hear anything but an over-all drone of noises.Special Features:
- Wonderful!RochelleDined on 10/30/2014The Grilled Pork Chop was absolutely fabulous! My co-workers had the Cuban sandwich and the Bi Bam Bap. All three of us thoroughly enjoyed our lunches. I only wish that I would have had more of the jicama slaw that accompanied the pork chop and sweet potatoes. The pork chop is so rich that I needed more slaw to help balance the meal. Other than that, the meal was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must visit!luv2dine3Dined on 10/30/2014Meat and Potatoes is a must visit when travelling to Pittsburgh. The staff is amazing and the food is even better. I visit during every trip! I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- vibrant and energeticvmthomasDined on 10/27/2014The place is great place to go for good food and plenty of it. It has become a favorite spot every time we are in the Pittsburgh area. So far I have tried the salmon and the hanger's steak and both are delicious!Special Features:
- Great dinnerHungryDined on 10/26/2014The restaurant was very good. The tables were very small and very close together however. The waiter was good but forgot to bring the coffee I ordered with dessert. I would recommend the restaurant but realize how small it is. The prices are very good for amount of food you get. Appetizer menu could be eaten as a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary spotm1stak3Dined on 10/26/2014Took the wife for our anniversary, and we both loved it. Staff was friendly and fun, and food was excellent. Couldn't ask for a better night. Got even better when we got our bill, which was well below what we had expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodjagreenDined on 10/25/2014We've been trying to get to Meat & Potatoes for quite some time and were not disappointed. The food was delicious, prices were reasonable and portions were generous. The service was great and the staff was well aware that we were dining before a show. We had a great meal and plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Lunch At WorkPar5In3Dined on 10/22/2014Great setting for a work lunch!! I made a reservation at 11am for 11:30 and just beat the lunch crowd!! The meal was quick to get to our table, and was perfectly cooked. I got the Cold Fried Chicken Sandwich and it was AWESOME!!! If you do not like sticky sauces, get the Glaze on the side. The Portion was big for lunch, but it was worth the price. My guest got the Fried Chicken and Biscuits and couldn't finish it all while we were there!! Great Waitress and Hosting Party. Terrific Location for Lunch or Dinner, or before or after a show!!!Special Features:
- Bustling crowdYoshDined on 10/21/2014Food was good, generous portions. Decent beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good, will go backSkiphreak10Dined on 10/19/2014I like the place itself, easy to find, parking garage right next door. Inside looks cool, not overly decorated and the seats themselves are absurdly comfortable. Started at the bar while waiting for our table (we arrived early, it was ready right on time). Ordered 2 of their specialty cocktails for my wife and I. (Three Dots and a Dash and a Southie) They were both excellent and well made, however I felt overpriced by $2-$3 for the size of their tom collins and high ball glasses and the amount of ice in them (even if they gave me less ice and more mixers I'd have been happy, I just don't want to finish a drink in 1 maybe 2 swallows. Once we were seated we had excellent service and excellent food. I felt the entrees were priced well.Special Features:
- Several VisitsRonSDined on 10/18/2014Consistently good service and a creative menu makes a good dining experience. Enjoyed the place every time we go.Special Features:
- Brunch PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We arrived at open for our reservation, and were seated promptly. As always, the food was outstanding, and seasonally-inspired without being overbearing. Pumpkin hollandaise, which I fully admit skepticism, was delightful. The flavor was light, and the sauce was not broken, as is a common issue in Pittsburgh restaurants attempting to do a higher end Benedict. The meal was great, and our server was attentive without being overbearing to us.Special Features:
- Round 3rws211Dined on 10/18/2014Third time at MP brunch - finally gave in to the French Toast. Very, very good - only comment would be while the almond brittle was awesome, it put the dish a little over the top in terms of sweetness for me. A nap was mandatory after this one.Special Features:
- My3MenDined on 10/17/2014The food was very flavorful and filling. I was pleasantly surprisedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesomeBooker274VIPDined on 10/17/2014Continues to be a our Pittsburgh favorite, enjoyed a lunch of wild boar sloppy joe and some of my wife's cold fried chicken sandwich. Both were fantastic.Special Features:
- great sceneLuv2feastDined on 10/13/2014I love the ambiance here, but I am a pescatarian, and there aren't many options for me :(Special Features:
- Mixed bag...as always.notaFoodieIjustEatalotDined on 10/13/2014Every time I go to Meat & Potatoes, I am absolutely thrilled with the drink menu and the appetizers; the Southie, Macaroni & Cheese, Devils on Horseback and Bone Marrow are top notch and my favorites from the drink/apps. The meals, however, are always a bit of a let down. As phenomenal as the app/drink selections are, that is how mediocre the entrees are. I've been to M&P three times, and all three times my entree was incredibly salty and lacking other spices/flavors. Also, the tiny tables that arc around the right of the bar as you enter are awkward at best but would be better described as uncomfortable - though it is fun to chat up your neighbors while you dine. I will definitely go back to M&P, but for drinks and apps only.Special Features:
- Delightful lunch spotDancersDined on 10/10/2014I've been here for delicious dinners. I couldn't get a reservation for an in-town-guest and we decided to go for lunch...it turns out that this is an exceptional place for lunch as well as dinner! The Devils on Horseback was a must have! This was a great way to enjoy amazing food at an exceptionally reasonable price.Special Features:
- Come with low expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We had tried to eat at Meat & Potatoes for sometime and finally got a reservation to what is hyped to be the hands-down-best restaurant in Pittsburgh. It's sister restaurant, Butch and the Rye, is far better. Both have a similarly tacky, overdone decor but the apps at Butcher and the Rye are worth ordering again (particularly the brussels sprouts and mac'n'cheese). To truly compare apples to apples, we tried the brussels and the mac'n'cheese at both places. At Butcher and the Rye, we ordered a second round. At meat and potatoes, we didnt want to finish the first. So disappointing.Special Features:
- Eat you way through the menu!pittwedgeDined on 10/8/2014I have been here for both lunch and dinner and haven't yet had the same dish twice. This isn't because I haven't found a favorite, but rather that I have yet to be disappointed in any of the dishes I've tried. My only wish is that I could have a libation during lunch so that I could sample the vast supply of craft bitters and novel concoctions!Special Features:
- excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014Always a wonderful experience. Service is never disappointing and the food is always excellent and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOved!linduhDined on 10/6/2014We went there for my husbands birthday.because I always tease him that he is a Meat & potatoes guy! I like something different--this place was perfect for us! The pot roast was amazing..home made--over whipped potatoes! I had the hanger steak--and whipped potatoes and brussel sprouts and cobb salad...wine selection was wonderful! Ambiance was very trendy--upbeat and cool--a bit loud if you want a romantic dinner..but check out the menu and you will see they offer all kinds of different fare...I would do this again!Special Features:
- Great AtmospheredswaggDined on 10/5/2014really just and awesome experience. Perfect for a date.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and ambiancecpeacockDined on 10/5/2014This place is a must. Everything was on point from the tasty food to the attentive service. I will definitely be back to M&P soon.Special Features:
- I love this place.TinainPghVIPDined on 10/5/2014We've been to Meat & Potatoes several times since it opened and we have never been disappointed. Every aspect of the dining experience, from the ambience, to the service, to the wine list, to the quality of the food, is above par and always exceeds expectations. Definitely a great restaurant!Special Features:
- JjccVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had dinner there last Thursday. The service was very disappointing. Our server seemed to disappear and we often had to chase her down to put our order in and check on the status of our food. The food itself had some positives, with the bone marrow being the highlight.
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We went for lunch. Food, atmosphere,service was good. The Menu//restaurant name was misleading. There was very little "meat on the menu. Will need to look at the dinner menu before returning.Special Features:
- Great lunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/2/2014Everything was tasted and plentiful ... Seating arrangements are. Little tight..Special Features:
- GinaGinaDined on 10/1/2014We had a very nice time at Meat and Potatoes. The food was very good and the wine excellantSpecial Features: