Meat & Potatoes
649 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Meat & Potatoes
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meatandpotatoespgh.com/
- Phone: 4123257007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Wednesday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm-11:00pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Richard DeShantz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For events big or small, Meat & Potatoes catering scales our service to whatever your needs are. Our Full Service catering takes care of every aspect of an event, working with you from the early planning stage, developing customized menus and pricing options. We have a great network of suppliers and venues that we'll rely on to pull the whole thing together. We are also an approved caterer in all of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust venues. We look forward to working with you! Contact Katelyn Roney at 412-325-7007 for all of your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: At Meat & Potatoes, we offer 2 separate private dining experiences.
1. Private dining room 1 can seat up to 10 guests.
2. Private dining room 2 can seat up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Sara DeShantz 4123257007x
- Cross Street: Between 6th and 7th Street
- Public Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: In the same building as our restaurant there is an eight story parking garage that is open 24 hours. Meat & Potatoes will be offering reduced rate parking for our patrons who park in the Theater Square garage. There are also numerous parking garages and lots within a 3 block vicinity of Meat & Potatoes.
A word from Meat & Potatoes
Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Meat & Potatoes - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Meat & Potatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (138)special occasion (91)hot spot (90)vibrant bar scene (82)great for brunch (58)great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (49)great for lunch (43)romantic (35)late-night find (35)good for groups (29)notable wine list (13)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Surprisingly diverse menu...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014...for a restaurant named "Meat and Potatoes" - definitely more choices than the name suggests. My flat iron steak was delicious, as were the vegetables that accompanied it. The "chili sherry vinaigrette" that coated the vegetables was excellent.Special Features:
- Good food but lacks in serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Had reservation for 1:30,checked in at 1:15 and were seated at 1:45. Occassion was my daughters birthday. Music was too loud for my kids. Service was not that great. Yes, we were asked all the customary questions and but people know when you are not paid attention. We had a special request to have something nice for our daughters birthday, the front desk asked about it but the waiter/staff forgot about it. We were bummed by then and just left. I wouldn't recommend taking kids here. It will be great for couples. My heart was set on chicken and waffles and they ran out of it. Guess we were the only ones that didn't get it as were the last to be served. I expected the chef to show some consideration but alas in vain!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We came here for bunch before so we decided to try dinner this time and they did not disappoint! Only regret is that we didn't make brunch reservations for the next day!Special Features:
- DebbieDined on 9/12/2014Tables were too small, seats uncomfortable, tables too close together. The noise level was so high, we could barely hear each other. The food was good, though.Special Features:
- Lovely!RochelleDined on 9/11/2014As usual, I had a perfectly marvelous meal and I enjoyed the service provided by our wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTwitchyDined on 9/7/2014It was both mine and my dates first visit to Meat & Potatoes. The service was attentive but not overwhelming. The steak was cooked perfectly to our request and the potatoes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close encoucounters with good foodtastytreatsDined on 9/7/2014First off, the food was fantastic. Second, the people beside us also noticed and commented as they were so close it was hard to ignore the people beside us. The tables are about 2 feet in diameter with just enough room between them for a person to side step into the booth, which made the conversation a little awkward as you could be sure the next two tables over could hear every word you said. They had a good selection of drinks, and very unique dining options. I had the grilled bread with goat cheese and jam (great way to start any meal), and a lamb burger that had just enough seasoning. The waiter never left any dirty dish on the table for any more than 30 seconds, and was very quick to refill water and drinks. Overall great dining optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Noisey, salty fish, under cooked hangar steak, overpriced wine ($40 for a $10 bottle of Pinot Noir)
- Was Goodfood124435Dined on 9/1/2014Went with Girlfriend. Expensive, but not ridiculously so, was good for a rare night out. Food was great, service was solid. No complaints all around.Special Features:
- Mumford and SonsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014After a lot of anticipation we were severely let down. First it is a very small venue. Lots of confusion at the front regarding reservations and frustrated patrons. The two bartenders make great stand ins for Mumford and Sons but as bartenders they cannot multitask. They were totally over their head with a busy bar scene. That of course unless you are attractive females wanting them to stop to take selfies. Plenty of time for that. Totally missed out on our tab. The only highlight was we had a great server who was up front in letting us know the kitchen was overwhelmed and suggested certain entrees that would go smoother. Great service but why even go if you are steered to a limited menu. All in all there are better optionsSpecial Features:
- Date PlaceBobFromAccountingDined on 8/29/2014M&P's outdoor dining was perfect for our date. The staff was quick, polite, and perfectly timed. The food was fast and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pittsburgh favoritebiztravlerDined on 8/26/2014Been here many times, always bring out of town guests for a taste of Pittsburgh. Highly recommend the ribeye for two or the pork chop. The curry mussels are a must. Desserts are usually pretty good, but noticed some inconsistencies the last two times. Advise that you check the dates on the canned beer, had some old beers that were past their prime the last two times. Generally, service has been great and has really enhanced our dining experience, however the last two visits haven't lived up to the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- andyDined on 8/24/2014The tables are much too small and much too close together. I come to dinner to talk with my partner not with the folks on either side of me.Special Features:
- 3 years to get hereJTO1965Dined on 8/23/2014We have been dropping off and picking up our daughter in Pittsburgh for three years now and have never been excited for a restaurant more than Meat and Potatoes. It is truly a fun and delicious dining experience located in the heart of downtown. We will certainly be back and tell all our friends visiting Pittsburgh that this must be a place to go when in town... I only wish we found it a lot sooner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best thing I ever ate...lil247Dined on 8/21/2014Amazing salmon dish with Asian flavors. Definitely one of the best dishes I have ever had! Bone marrow appetizer is also very good. Would definitely come back if in town again.
- Worth the wait.Stixave1Dined on 8/21/2014We drove from Ohio to dine here For our anniversary because I had seen the restaurant on the travel Channel. We got the "meat and potatoes" for 2. It took over an hour to get our meal but (after complaining a little)got free deserts for the wait. The meal was a 32 ounce grilled ribeye, bone marrow and fried potato wedges. The steak was perfect and melted in your mouth. We didn't think we can finish it but lo and behold, at the end of the meal we had an empty rib bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentamateurfoodieDined on 8/17/2014There was a bit of pretension throughout (perhaps enhanced by our particular server) but it was very good overall. The food was excellent and the menu had an array of interesting choices. The service was a bit slow but overall attentive and friendly. They do cram tables of 2 quite close to each other.Special Features:
- Excellent Quality mealtraveler310Dined on 8/17/2014We had the "Meat and Potatoes" and it was cooked to perfection. Bring lots of hungry friends to share this main course, we had 4 in our party and still took home half. The Risotto and Pappardelle were great sides for this main course. The deserts were exceptional as well. With drinks, budget about $50 - $60/personSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLori2000Dined on 8/16/2014Went with very high expectations, but was disappointed. The food was good but nothing exceptional. We ate out on the patio and it was a delightful evening. Service was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingDeeKDubyaDined on 8/13/2014Meat and Potatoes never disappoints. Great for a splurge, but don't be scared away thinking it could be too expensive...some of the best burgers in the burgh! You can't go wrong with a menu like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy dining with a rustic touchmmmFoodDined on 8/12/2014Nice dreamily dim lighting with wonderful textures throughout the restaurant filled with that chit chat that makes a space feel complete. The food, I had high hopes for and it did not disappoint! We ordered the tasting menu that Tuesday during restaurant week. Beautifully melded flavors not taking the spotlight from any of the ingredients thoughtfully placed on each and every plate. Everything was cooked to what I would consider perfection, the shrimp, scallop, and tender beef in the end. Even the dessert wow'ed me, and am not a sweets person. Perfectly executed timing, it was as if we were being stalked by the wait staff, but they were never in plain sight... like food ninjas. A very memorable dining experience. I must go back.Special Features:
- AwesomeLulufoodGuruDined on 8/10/2014I absolutely LOVED the food & Drinks! Best Cosmo EVER!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedlikesgoodfoodDined on 8/10/2014Read lots of great reviews and made a reservation. Restaurant even called to confirm and I requested sitting outside. She said she would make a note. When we got there we were taken to a table inside. I asked about outside and was told that would mean a wait of at least another 15 minutes. What was the point of a reservation? Tables were so close it was impossible not to be in the face of neighbors - luckily they were pretty nice. Tables were so small that it was impossible to fit anything on it. Ridiculous. And the service was very slow. How long does it take to cook mussels? Watched others served who came in after us. Food was over salted as well. Maybe this is some people's idea of great food and atmosphere but not mine.
- Anniversary DinnerSharonDined on 8/9/2014A wonderful place to celebrate another anniversary - the server made it extra special when he brought two glasses of champagne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just greatTampaPeteDined on 8/7/2014Despite its unassuming name, Meat and Potatoes provided the biggest treat my taste buds have had in quite a long time. My friend and I first shared a bowl of mussels that was the best I've had. I ordered the duck, and it was far from the typical, rather fatty entrée. It was lean and delicious and I would highly recommend it. The side dishes that came with the duck were also excellent. My friend had a steak dish and was more than satisfied. No room for dessert! Perhaps not the place to go for a quiet, romantic dinner but definitely the place to go for a memorable dining experience in downtown Pittsburgh.Special Features:
- Another fun mealmbluvssbhDined on 8/2/2014We took out-of-towners here for dinner on Saturday. We have eaten at M & P several times but had always ended up doing a bunch of appetizers/small plates (or brunch, which was terrific.) This was our first dinner where we all had entrees. Everything was excellent, we had the smoked porkchop and special, which was house made sausage over polenta. lPrices are reasonable based upon the amount of food. The table next to us had the steak for 2 and it was gigantic! We also love the drink list. The restaurant has a fun vibe but FYI the tables are small (our 4 top was actually 2 of the round 2 tops pushed together, not really the best arrangement.) No room for dessert but a great and fun meal overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything great,but one thingBraddockSmashDined on 8/2/2014We love M&P and go there as a first choice for special occasions. This time we were going to a show at the Benedum. Our server was friendly and efficient (even when it got busy), our drinks delicious, our food tasty-- everything was delightful except the very obvious sort of hovering by the hosts with the iPad. I can assume they were just trying to quote accurate wait times and keep track of the floor, but my husband and I found it disconcerting-- like we were being timed or should hurry up (and by no means were we camping at the table). I understand the need to know where tables are in the course of their dining, however, the way it was done with hovering hosts just struck me as awkward and maybe slightly rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip RestaurantBigErn245Dined on 8/1/2014I came to Pittsburgh for my wife's birthday. We were recommend Meat & Potatoes by a few different people. Great experience! This is a cool, hip restaurant with an upbeat vibe. It is more trendy and the place to be seen. The menu was fantastic with tons of great appetizers, small plates, and delicious entrees. The Bone Marrow appetizer was one of the best things I have ever ate! Kobe Corn Dog was also great. My wife had the pork belly tacos and I had the Red Snapper. Both were excellent. This place also has a cool drink menu with Prohibition and Speakeasy concoctions. Excellent!Special Features:
- Service A Plus!PickyDined on 7/31/2014Service was impeccable, portions were more than generous. In addition since we were going to the Benedum for a show and had leftovers, they volunteered to hold them for us to pick up after the show.Special Features:
- Meay and Potatos B-Day!HawkinsDined on 7/29/2014Really good food. Got us pretty close to our 9P reservation. Mussels were the best! Flank steak a bit chewy but portion was generous. Great cocktails! Yum.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The staff and friendly, courteous and professional. As always the food is fantastice!!! Love love the bone marrow and the flank steak. I had a wonderful Birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Energetic & FunGilbertDined on 7/25/2014Meat and Potatoes was a great experience. Having heard so much about the restaurant I was eager to try it out. It's not the type of place to go for a quiet evening, but lots of fun for an energetic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerSpecialoccasionDined on 7/20/2014Fantastic service, great food, overall exceptional experience. Make sure you have a reservation or expect a LONG wait. This place is busy non stop and for good reason! I will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchbubblyDined on 7/20/2014Beyond delicious. Everyone was great, and our server was attentive and helpful. If you don't find the food to die for, you're probably vegan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried pickles...who knew?CannabelleDined on 7/15/2014Enjoyed our entire experience here! Abi, our server was terrific. We overheard some native Pittsburghians order the deep fried pickles, made in house, and had to try them. They were amazing...super crunchy from the batter to the pickles. Loved the hot sauce. (They were even fabulous the next day!) The pâté was super smooth, and tasty as were the fried Brussel sprouts. We also enjoyed the hangar steak and salmon entrees but ordered too much food. Beware, generous portions here. All in all completely satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely would go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Delicious and great Atmosphere!First time trying bone marrow and it was delicious!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!KateDined on 7/12/2014The individuals behind the concept of this restaurant and it's sister, Butcher and the Rye are genius. The decor, service and atmosphere are amazing THEN you tatse the food/drink and it all comes full circle. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Meat and Potatoes was great. Food and service was excellent. Miss the quiche they used to make :( .Special Features:
- rude hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014We were seated by the door to the patio. My elderly aunt (who was wearing a cast on her arm) had her chair (gently) bumped twice. To make her feel more comfortable, we asked a server if we could move to another table. It was well after the lunch rush and there were many open tables. The server was polite and gracious and sent over a hostess. The hostess seemed annoyed and was rude about our request. She did allow us to have another table but said things like "I guess." when we explained that we wanted to move and when we were seated at our new table said "I have to go and figure out what the servers are going to do with you now." My aunt was already embarrassed at having to make the request to move, and the hostess embarrassed her further.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere for DiningWantmoreDined on 7/11/2014This place is definitely fit for foodies! I took someone here for an interview lunch, and the menu had an option for any type of palate. We ordered the fried taters and the devils on horseback as appetizers. The fried taters were just fries, so they were definitely not what we were expecting. The devils on horseback exceeded my expectations though! As entrees I ordered the house smoked duck salad, and it was alright, but I definitely would have enjoyed something else more. My guest ordered the cuban, and it was huge! You definitely get your money's worth with that selection. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the Pittsburgh area!Special Features: