Meat & Potatoes
649 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Meat & Potatoes
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.meatandpotatoespgh.com/
- Phone: 4123257007x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Wednesday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm-11:00pm
Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm, 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Richard DeShantz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For events big or small, Meat & Potatoes catering scales our service to whatever your needs are. Our Full Service catering takes care of every aspect of an event, working with you from the early planning stage, developing customized menus and pricing options. We have a great network of suppliers and venues that we'll rely on to pull the whole thing together. We are also an approved caterer in all of the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust venues. We look forward to working with you! Contact Katelyn Roney at 412-325-7007 for all of your needs.
- Private Party Facilities: At Meat & Potatoes, we offer 2 separate private dining experiences.
1. Private dining room 1 can seat up to 10 guests.
2. Private dining room 2 can seat up to 20 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Sara DeShantz 4123257007x
- Cross Street: Between 6th and 7th Street
- Public Transit: Being a downtown Pittsburgh location, there are many options and we recommend going to the Port Authority website for schedules, rates and general information.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: In the same building as our restaurant there is an eight story parking garage that is open 24 hours. Meat & Potatoes will be offering reduced rate parking for our patrons who park in the Theater Square garage. There are also numerous parking garages and lots within a 3 block vicinity of Meat & Potatoes.
A word from Meat & Potatoes
Meat & Potatoes is a place with a warm, inviting pub atmosphere that serves sophisticated, yet unpretentious food. An extensive, and creative, cocktail, beer and wine list is an integral part of what we do at our wonderful establishment. Come visit a place where the locals dine!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Meat & Potatoes - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Meat & Potatoes reviews from OpenTable diners
195 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)hot spot (100)vibrant bar scene (83)special occasion (78)late-night find (42)great for brunch (41)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (33)great for outdoor dining (28)romantic (27)good for groups (22)notable wine list (15)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- vibrant and energeticvmthomasDined on 10/27/2014The place is great place to go for good food and plenty of it. It has become a favorite spot every time we are in the Pittsburgh area. So far I have tried the salmon and the hanger's steak and both are delicious!Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014The restaurant was very good. The tables were very small and very close together however. The waiter was good but forgot to bring the coffee I ordered with dessert. I would recommend the restaurant but realize how small it is. The prices are very good for amount of food you get. Appetizer menu could be eaten as a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Took the wife for our anniversary, and we both loved it. Staff was friendly and fun, and food was excellent. Couldn't ask for a better night. Got even better when we got our bill, which was well below what we had expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodjagreenDined on 10/25/2014We've been trying to get to Meat & Potatoes for quite some time and were not disappointed. The food was delicious, prices were reasonable and portions were generous. The service was great and the staff was well aware that we were dining before a show. We had a great meal and plan to return soon.Special Features:
- Lunch At WorkPar5In3Dined on 10/22/2014Great setting for a work lunch!! I made a reservation at 11am for 11:30 and just beat the lunch crowd!! The meal was quick to get to our table, and was perfectly cooked. I got the Cold Fried Chicken Sandwich and it was AWESOME!!! If you do not like sticky sauces, get the Glaze on the side. The Portion was big for lunch, but it was worth the price. My guest got the Fried Chicken and Biscuits and couldn't finish it all while we were there!! Great Waitress and Hosting Party. Terrific Location for Lunch or Dinner, or before or after a show!!!Special Features:
- Bustling crowdYoshDined on 10/21/2014Food was good, generous portions. Decent beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good, will go backSkiphreak10Dined on 10/19/2014I like the place itself, easy to find, parking garage right next door. Inside looks cool, not overly decorated and the seats themselves are absurdly comfortable. Started at the bar while waiting for our table (we arrived early, it was ready right on time). Ordered 2 of their specialty cocktails for my wife and I. (Three Dots and a Dash and a Southie) They were both excellent and well made, however I felt overpriced by $2-$3 for the size of their tom collins and high ball glasses and the amount of ice in them (even if they gave me less ice and more mixers I'd have been happy, I just don't want to finish a drink in 1 maybe 2 swallows. Once we were seated we had excellent service and excellent food. I felt the entrees were priced well.Special Features:
- Several VisitsRonSDined on 10/18/2014Consistently good service and a creative menu makes a good dining experience. Enjoyed the place every time we go.Special Features:
- Brunch PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/18/2014We arrived at open for our reservation, and were seated promptly. As always, the food was outstanding, and seasonally-inspired without being overbearing. Pumpkin hollandaise, which I fully admit skepticism, was delightful. The flavor was light, and the sauce was not broken, as is a common issue in Pittsburgh restaurants attempting to do a higher end Benedict. The meal was great, and our server was attentive without being overbearing to us.Special Features:
- Round 3rws211Dined on 10/18/2014Third time at MP brunch - finally gave in to the French Toast. Very, very good - only comment would be while the almond brittle was awesome, it put the dish a little over the top in terms of sweetness for me. A nap was mandatory after this one.Special Features:
- My3MenDined on 10/17/2014The food was very flavorful and filling. I was pleasantly surprisedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently awesomeBooker274VIPDined on 10/17/2014Continues to be a our Pittsburgh favorite, enjoyed a lunch of wild boar sloppy joe and some of my wife's cold fried chicken sandwich. Both were fantastic.Special Features:
- great sceneLuv2feastDined on 10/13/2014I love the ambiance here, but I am a pescatarian, and there aren't many options for me :(Special Features:
- Mixed bag...as always.notaFoodieIjustEatalotDined on 10/13/2014Every time I go to Meat & Potatoes, I am absolutely thrilled with the drink menu and the appetizers; the Southie, Macaroni & Cheese, Devils on Horseback and Bone Marrow are top notch and my favorites from the drink/apps. The meals, however, are always a bit of a let down. As phenomenal as the app/drink selections are, that is how mediocre the entrees are. I've been to M&P three times, and all three times my entree was incredibly salty and lacking other spices/flavors. Also, the tiny tables that arc around the right of the bar as you enter are awkward at best but would be better described as uncomfortable - though it is fun to chat up your neighbors while you dine. I will definitely go back to M&P, but for drinks and apps only.Special Features:
- Delightful lunch spotDancersDined on 10/10/2014I've been here for delicious dinners. I couldn't get a reservation for an in-town-guest and we decided to go for lunch...it turns out that this is an exceptional place for lunch as well as dinner! The Devils on Horseback was a must have! This was a great way to enjoy amazing food at an exceptionally reasonable price.Special Features:
- Come with low expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We had tried to eat at Meat & Potatoes for sometime and finally got a reservation to what is hyped to be the hands-down-best restaurant in Pittsburgh. It's sister restaurant, Butch and the Rye, is far better. Both have a similarly tacky, overdone decor but the apps at Butcher and the Rye are worth ordering again (particularly the brussels sprouts and mac'n'cheese). To truly compare apples to apples, we tried the brussels and the mac'n'cheese at both places. At Butcher and the Rye, we ordered a second round. At meat and potatoes, we didnt want to finish the first. So disappointing.Special Features:
- Eat you way through the menu!pittwedgeDined on 10/8/2014I have been here for both lunch and dinner and haven't yet had the same dish twice. This isn't because I haven't found a favorite, but rather that I have yet to be disappointed in any of the dishes I've tried. My only wish is that I could have a libation during lunch so that I could sample the vast supply of craft bitters and novel concoctions!Special Features:
- excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014Always a wonderful experience. Service is never disappointing and the food is always excellent and satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOved!linduhDined on 10/6/2014We went there for my husbands birthday.because I always tease him that he is a Meat & potatoes guy! I like something different--this place was perfect for us! The pot roast was amazing..home made--over whipped potatoes! I had the hanger steak--and whipped potatoes and brussel sprouts and cobb salad...wine selection was wonderful! Ambiance was very trendy--upbeat and cool--a bit loud if you want a romantic dinner..but check out the menu and you will see they offer all kinds of different fare...I would do this again!Special Features:
- Great AtmospheredswaggDined on 10/5/2014really just and awesome experience. Perfect for a date.Special Features:
- Great food, service, and ambiancecpeacockDined on 10/5/2014This place is a must. Everything was on point from the tasty food to the attentive service. I will definitely be back to M&P soon.Special Features:
- I love this place.TinainPghVIPDined on 10/5/2014We've been to Meat & Potatoes several times since it opened and we have never been disappointed. Every aspect of the dining experience, from the ambience, to the service, to the wine list, to the quality of the food, is above par and always exceeds expectations. Definitely a great restaurant!Special Features:
- JjccVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had dinner there last Thursday. The service was very disappointing. Our server seemed to disappear and we often had to chase her down to put our order in and check on the status of our food. The food itself had some positives, with the bone marrow being the highlight.
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014We went for lunch. Food, atmosphere,service was good. The Menu//restaurant name was misleading. There was very little "meat on the menu. Will need to look at the dinner menu before returning.Special Features:
- Great lunch...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/2/2014Everything was tasted and plentiful ... Seating arrangements are. Little tight..Special Features:
- GinaGinaDined on 10/1/2014We had a very nice time at Meat and Potatoes. The food was very good and the wine excellantSpecial Features:
- Great appetizers and cocktailsSichuanNephronDined on 10/1/2014Felt like we were rushed to finish our meal on a Wed night, and the time between the appetizers and entrees was very short. I'd highly recommend it for dropping by for a few amazing cocktails and appetizers, but would be hesitant to go back for another full course dinner, even though the entrees and dessert were very good.Special Features:
- PeteDined on 9/27/2014If you dine for 2, You will be sitting under a foot away from another couple. Keep it in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealRookDined on 9/24/2014This was 4th or 5th visit to Meat and Potatoes. The service is always great and the food delicious is delicious. They have great mac & cheese and the risotto is fantastic. If you're going to the theater, they get you in and out in plenty of time to walk to the Benedum or Heinz Hall with 20-30 minutes to spare.Special Features:
- Most enjoyable evening!MPJonesDined on 9/23/2014Came here after work with friends to celebrate my birthday, and it was my first visit to the restaurant. Everything was outstanding from the ambiance, service, food and drink. We started with the devils on horseback, bone marrow, and Government Cheese Mac & Cheese. I'm not a fan of dates, so my friends took care of the devils on horseback. The bone marrow and mac & cheese was simply superb. I had never tried bone marrow before, so it took a little bit to get past the look of it, but it was very delicious. The Srgt. Pepper's Old Fashioned was quite good, and I'll be ordering it again on my next visit for sure. The pork chop, 3 little pigs sandwich, and pork belly tacos were quite excellent as well. I'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Foodie ParadiseMsantiseDined on 9/16/2014This place is a foodies paradise! There was anything on the menu that I wouldn't have tried twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly diverse menu...pedwards17Dined on 9/14/2014...for a restaurant named "Meat and Potatoes" - definitely more choices than the name suggests. My flat iron steak was delicious, as were the vegetables that accompanied it. The "chili sherry vinaigrette" that coated the vegetables was excellent.Special Features:
- Good food but lacks in serviceSpicyFoodDined on 9/14/2014Had reservation for 1:30,checked in at 1:15 and were seated at 1:45. Occassion was my daughters birthday. Music was too loud for my kids. Service was not that great. Yes, we were asked all the customary questions and but people know when you are not paid attention. We had a special request to have something nice for our daughters birthday, the front desk asked about it but the waiter/staff forgot about it. We were bummed by then and just left. I wouldn't recommend taking kids here. It will be great for couples. My heart was set on chicken and waffles and they ran out of it. Guess we were the only ones that didn't get it as were the last to be served. I expected the chef to show some consideration but alas in vain!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We came here for bunch before so we decided to try dinner this time and they did not disappoint! Only regret is that we didn't make brunch reservations for the next day!Special Features:
- DebbieDined on 9/12/2014Tables were too small, seats uncomfortable, tables too close together. The noise level was so high, we could barely hear each other. The food was good, though.Special Features:
- Lovely!RochelleDined on 9/11/2014As usual, I had a perfectly marvelous meal and I enjoyed the service provided by our wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTwitchyDined on 9/7/2014It was both mine and my dates first visit to Meat & Potatoes. The service was attentive but not overwhelming. The steak was cooked perfectly to our request and the potatoes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close encoucounters with good foodtastytreatsDined on 9/7/2014First off, the food was fantastic. Second, the people beside us also noticed and commented as they were so close it was hard to ignore the people beside us. The tables are about 2 feet in diameter with just enough room between them for a person to side step into the booth, which made the conversation a little awkward as you could be sure the next two tables over could hear every word you said. They had a good selection of drinks, and very unique dining options. I had the grilled bread with goat cheese and jam (great way to start any meal), and a lamb burger that had just enough seasoning. The waiter never left any dirty dish on the table for any more than 30 seconds, and was very quick to refill water and drinks. Overall great dining optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Noisey, salty fish, under cooked hangar steak, overpriced wine ($40 for a $10 bottle of Pinot Noir)
- Was Goodfood124435Dined on 9/1/2014Went with Girlfriend. Expensive, but not ridiculously so, was good for a rare night out. Food was great, service was solid. No complaints all around.Special Features: