The Restaurant at Meadowood
900 Meadowood Lane
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Restaurant at Meadowood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.therestaurantatmeadowood.com/
- Phone: 7079671205x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Christopher Kostow
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Meadowood
The Restaurant at Meadowood offers an elegant, but relaxed dining experience featuring a modern approach to Napa Valley cuisine by Chef Christopher Kostow. "Approachable, dynamic, evocative and playful." The interior of The Restaurant showcases Meadowood’s natural, tranquil setting with rows of windows bringing the beautiful surroundings into full view. The Restaurant features a two hundred and twenty-five dollar prix fixe Chef’s Tasting Menu and a five hundred dollar Chef's Counter Menu. A tailored wine and spirits pairing experience is also available to accompany the menus. Given the nature of the set menus for each evening, we invite and encourage you to contact us once booked online to make us aware of any allergies or dietary restrictions several days in advance of your reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Restaurant at Meadowood - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
The Restaurant at Meadowood reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (86)romantic (62)fit for foodies (61)notable wine list (54)scenic view (12)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- not a 3*OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2014this place serves good, imaginative food, with good service. But both the service and taste do not "wow" compared to several other 3*s, particularily in Europe. I would also suggest that Saison, which we dined at shortly before, was superior in most aspects (the style of food was similar, simply better though)
- Finest dining experience -- ever!FoodieEricDined on 9/11/2014Now I know why they have 3 Michelin stars. We had high expectations going in having experienced near perfection at The French Laundry the previous night and Chef Kostow and company exceeded expectations. The service was beyond excellent -- they greeted us and knew us by name at arrival and we were greeted and thanked by Chef Kostow himself at the end. And the food! I had no idea you could make food like this! Our favorites were the Veal Short Ribs with Trout Roe Dill and their Surf Clam with Lardo, Sea Lettuce and Avocado though it is difficult to pick a favorite as all were excellent.Special Features:
- DeceptionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Total deception,the 225us menu is not worthwhile and the staff,mainly the hostess and the sommelier, are extremely arrogant,we didnt like the treatment and i would never come back again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014A must go for a special occasion and if you like something special. Menu is created based on input received and delicious. Presentation of food is artwork together with great service, very much like an European high end restaurant. Everything is flawless and the menu is served a nice flow with some breaks between the courses.Special Features:
- Artistic but portion deprivedkm56789Dined on 9/4/2014My husband and I went for a special occasion to The Restaurant at Meadowood. Quite often when traveling in the US we find the portions enormous, this meal however was quite the contrary. Sadly, we left hungry. I recommend eating something before hand so you can enjoy the food journey. Otherwise the meal was artistically beautiful, full of interesting ingredients, thoughtfully presented, and with stellar service.Special Features:
- DisappointedAndyVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the only restaurant I have ever asked for my check half way through the tasting as I was completely disappointed in the food. I have dined at many of the finest restaurants in the world and I expected this to be another exceptional experience based on their reputation and the three Michelin stars. The sommelier and the wine were exceptional - it was the only positive experience of the night. The service was mostly stiff and rehearsed. The food was presented on the plate beautifully, however, that is where the quality ends as the food was either tasteless, tough or under cooked. After tasting our fifth course, we finished our wine, paid our bill and left.
- HorribleMfmdocVIPDined on 9/2/2014Never had such a bad experience dining out as I did there. Fully expected to be "wowed" but was completely disappointed at every turn. I wonder what the Michelin Group was thinking. Art maybe, food NO.Special Features:
- Wonderful food as expected.LynCHDined on 8/23/2014My only criticism is that the dishes came too fast. I had to ask the personnel to slow down as we hardly had time to enjoy one that another was already in front of us. This didn't allow me to enjoy the wine as it changed frequently and I didn't have time to finish it. I know you want to get in two services per evening but I live in Europe where a meal like this lasts all evening. I've eaten with Girardet, Rochat, Rabet and others who have gourmet restaurants in Switzerland (I'm sure your chefs must know these names) and the dishes are spaced out perfectly but the meal lasts all evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening albeit costlyFitFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014I just took my husband for his 50th birthday. We had a really lovely three hour dinner but nothing really super special sadly. We both agreed we'd rather return to the French laundry for Alinea in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I thoughtHyyily0525Dined on 8/20/2014I believe the restaurant should do better at cooking the food and make sure to keep the original taste of the food instead of over making it!
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/20/2014Was probably the best dinner I've had. EVER. Great experience. Food was amazing and the service was very welcoming and perfectly timed. A very expensive meal, but worth every penny. Those who love good food and good service should make a reservation. The tasting we had was incredible and all of the small touches we were given did not go unnoticed. I can't imagine a better way to spend my birthday evening. I especially loved the personally printed menu I was given at the end of the meal. It is a great way to capture the memories that were created.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceWinefoodie2Dined on 8/19/2014This was our first time at Meadowwood, and we already have another reservation to come back. Exceptional food and wine pairing, service and food preparation. Surpassed our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014Must try, TOTALLY worth the trip, SUPER attentive service ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Michelin 3 Star ExperienceSonomaFoodieDined on 8/16/2014We were excited to have dinner at Meadowood since the chef recently received his third Michelin Star. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, with the dining room open and airy with a view of the grounds. We decided to have the wine pairing which consisted of 6 wines, 3 whites and 3 reds; one Napa Valley wine and 5 wines from France. The wines were fantastic and well paired with the food. The food was simply quite disappointing. In a 10 course meal, at a Michelin 3 Star restaurant, I would have expected 7-8 (at least) to be "OMG" shockingly good. The dried tomato, creme fraiche and wild plum beet was "OMG" good.The daylily spot prawn was "OMG" good. The other courses were fine, but not even close to notable. Very, very disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you are looking for a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, this is the place. You will be in for an exceptional dinner where you will be spoiled! An amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLongTimeFanVIPDined on 8/6/2014Amazing food with perfectly paired wines. May be the most you ever pay for dinner, but it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!DwayneVIPDined on 8/4/2014There is not enough space to write an adequate review. The food (custom menu), wine, service, and ambiance are all outstanding. If you like exceptional food and wine, then you must go to The Restaurant at Meadowood. The Restaurant is at least equal to The French Laundry, or Per Se, or Alain Ducasse's restaurants. This is an experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good by American StandardsapkurkDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten at many 3 star restaurants in France, Spain, Italy, so I am confused at the 3 star rating for Meadowood. For example with regards to food, creativity and service, it does not hold a candle to Vague D'or in St. Tropez with regards to food and service, or Azurmendi in Spain with regards to creativity, or old school white glove treatment in L'Ambroise in Paris, with high end ingredients. I don't know if there is just a culture of extreme formality in European 3 star restaurants compared to the US or if my expectations are high? For example, we also ate at Eleven Madison Park in NYC, and noticed a much more casual, less emphasis on service approach, but they had a stronger emphasis on quality of ingredients and range in the menu.Special Features:
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's amazing how much effort is put into every ingredient and dish.Special Features:
- first-rate experienceGinoODined on 7/26/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday dinner here and was very impressed with our overall experience. Excellent service from beginning to end. We opted for the chef's counter menu and was totally pleased by the blend of flavors and textures of the different courses. We had a similarly great experience at the French Laundry 2 months ago. I do, however, have to mention that the 20+ courses of the chef's counter felt lighter and left you not feeling bloated due to their heavy emphasis on their garden products compared to the Laundry. At some point while at the Laundry, I couldn't take another bite and there were more deserts being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningDiningDenizenVIPDined on 7/24/2014This was a very special dining experience. Creative food and creative presentations. Kudos to the chef and staff.Special Features:
- 3 StarsMrLukeDined on 7/19/2014As one of only ten Michelin three star restaurants in the US, this restarant was very impressive and I highly recommend it. Skip the stuffy French Laundry and have a memorable dining experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare dining experienceursusDined on 7/18/2014The Meadowood restaurant has been compared to the French Laundry. However, it is possible to obtain a reservation at Meadowood. The food is world class. The chef is innovative and seems to have a remarkably library of tastes that he combines in unexpected and magical ways. We had the twelve course tasting menu. It was spectacular. When you have a chef that works at the leading edge there are times when there are misses. There was a pork broth/lettuce infusion which didn't make it for me or my wife. There was also a chicken in sourdough that failed. But to a degree you have to realize that menus on this level are experimental. And not all experiments hit their mark. However, the overall menu was remarkable and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Great foodcowothDined on 7/17/2014Food and service were excellent. After dinner the chef provided a tour of the kitchen. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleLaurieVIPDined on 7/16/2014Had the most special experience at the bar. The service was outstanding and the food was creative and delicious!Special Features:
- Amazing experience, good foodDurhamfoodieVIPDined on 7/16/2014My wife and I chose to eat at the Restaurant at Meadowood as our big night out while in Napa. The experience of the restaurant was wonderful. It was in a beautiful location and the service and attention you received were wonderful. We especially appreciated being shown the kitchen at the completion of our meal. What was somewhat lacking was the excitement and flavors of many of the dishes. There were about 10 courses in all, and while some were wonderful, others like the main entrees squab & steak were forgettable. While we enjoyed the experience as a whole, I don't think we would return here. We simply had better, more flavorful meals in Napa & Sonoma.Special Features:
- Best Service I Could Ever Imaginetheoneandonly2Dined on 7/11/2014The staff at the Restaurant at Meadowood could not be any better. And I mean this literally. I literally can not imagine the staff being any more knowledgeable, attentive, friendly, or easy going. They were perfect. The food was creative and delicious. The wine list is the most extensive I've ever seen. This restaurant has the best service I've ever experienced, and the food was in the top 3.Special Features:
- Best. Dining Experience. EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/11/2014OK, it's not cheap. More like $600 per person with wine pairings, but if it's a memorable, very special occasion it's so very worth it. There is nothing like it in CA (except maybe French Laundry) but you can actually get reservations here fairly easily. There are not enough superlatives to describe this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousKman13Dined on 7/10/2014The evening was exactly as we hoped it would be....spectacular from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding with reservations...OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 7/10/2014food is interesting and terrific and abundant. service is, of course, outstanding--without a hitch. wine-by-the-glass is, however, ridiculously limited and priced. how about $30 minimum for a single glass of wine or $120 for another. surely, the sommelier can find a $20 glass or even $18--come on! our evening ended with an invitation to visit the kitchen, which was a perfect ending of a wonderful meal. see the kitchen-in-action, it's well worth a few minute viewing...!Special Features:
- Best dateJaiDDined on 7/3/2014This was one of the best meals ever. The food was exceptional but the service was out if this world!!!! Kudos to the chef and his staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014The service is impeccable. You are warmly received and treated as though the whole staff is delighted you are there. The food, as you would expect, is creative and delicious. The courses are small enough that you end your meal full, but not stuffed. The wine list is amazing. We both agreed that we had never eaten a potato that tasted so good. Overall, it was quickly added to the best restaurants of our life list.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/28/2014One of the best meals ever! Friendly staff, accommodating kitchen, not pretentious, classic california decor. It was expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Best Meal in the U.S.miamifoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014I lived in New York, Miami and am a big foodie. This restaurant outshines all the others in the U.S. for creativity, presentation, taste and service.Special Features:
- ExcelenteGusmdsilvaDined on 6/24/2014Experiência gastronômica indescritível. O equilíbrio entre sabor e apresentação dos pratos são impecáveis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too expensive for the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2014We were really looking forward to our dining experience - we made reservations so that it could be a very special evening. I lived in Paris for four years, and have dined in many restaurants that strive for this level of excellence. We just found that the food was just average, and way way too expensive. The wines started at over $300, and I think that is just not necessary (especially given the fact that we are right in wine country with some of the areas best wines). That said, the service was exceptional.
- GreatdrmervDined on 6/21/2014The service was superb, the food outstanding, the presentation, perfectSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2014Exceeds greatness! The evening was an wonderful experience rather than an expensive dinner out at a world famous restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Michelin-starred restaurantAviaDined on 6/14/2014Bait & switch, rude, arrogance, tiny portion, average food & mediocre pairing are some accurately words to describe this place, especially at 600 per. They'd show a whole bird, take it back to the kitchen, and bring out a piece of meat smaller than a finger. I asked about the rest, and was told "You got us, the bird was just for showing". They also don't know the difference between raw and rare meat. They'd invite you to see the kitchen where people would stop work to say hi. No, seeing the chefs/kitchen is what patrons would explicitly ask for to personally show gratitude to the chefs, and see things in action. They must think that their food is so great that seeing the kitchen is a default. Avoid!!! Go to The French Laundry instead.
- Quite disappointedporaDined on 6/14/20141. Way too many vegetable and the chef must like turnips a lot. I had red turnip, white turnip, carrot, turnip sauce, ... on that day. 2. There is no WOW. i.e. there is no single dish that I want to enjoy again and there is nothing I cannot find in other places. Compare to places like Manresa or Tetsuya's, they have special stuff that I want to go back again and again. 3. The other reviews mentioned that the food is not enough and they had to go to somewhere else afterwards to fill themselves up. This is no longer the case. I successfully used the bread to fill myself up. However, without bread I might feel hungry afterward. 4. If you still plan to go there (why not just have a try, like me), avoid to do this for special occasion.