The Restaurant at Meadowood
900 Meadowood Lane
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Restaurant at Meadowood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.therestaurantatmeadowood.com/
- Phone: 7079671205x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Christopher Kostow
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Meadowood
The Restaurant at Meadowood offers an elegant, but relaxed dining experience featuring a modern approach to Napa Valley cuisine by Chef Christopher Kostow. "Approachable, dynamic, evocative and playful." The interior of The Restaurant showcases Meadowood’s natural, tranquil setting with rows of windows bringing the beautiful surroundings into full view. The Restaurant features a two hundred and twenty-five dollar prix fixe Chef’s Tasting Menu and a five hundred dollar Chef's Counter Menu. A tailored wine and spirits pairing experience is also available to accompany the menus. Given the nature of the set menus for each evening, we invite and encourage you to contact us once booked online to make us aware of any allergies or dietary restrictions several days in advance of your reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Restaurant at Meadowood - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
The Restaurant at Meadowood reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (82)fit for foodies (66)romantic (63)notable wine list (56)scenic view (10)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Earns its starsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014We went for our anniversary, had an excellent and amazing experience. Enjoyed seeing the kitchen afterwards, maybe next time we can do the chef's table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!garci24Dined on 10/13/2014Everything was top notch from the moment we arrived. Service was impeccable and the food was marvelousSpecial Features:
- WowgandaVIPDined on 10/10/2014This place is as advertised. Fantastic food and service and the overall experience is tremendous. I recommend it to everyone when in the valley.Special Features:
- anniversary20Dined on 10/10/2014Came looking for spectacular dining experience. Food was wonderful and definitely lived up to expectation in taste and presentation. Service left a lot to be desired and took away from overall dining experience. We waited 30 minutes to be seated for a 9:15 reservation and was waved in as if we were at Olive Garden. The waitsfaff in general seemed unenthusiastic and standoffish with the standout being our head waiter who bordered on snobby. Maybe they thought this is the way they were supposed to act as part of the high priced dining experience. The friendly yet classy service we received at French Laundry the next night should serve as an example to the staff here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb !!!foodkingDined on 10/7/2014Restaurant Meadowood is worthy of all it's glorious reviews. The food was wonderful and the service was impeccable. A truly wonderful experience for anyone fond of upscale dinning. The attention to detail by everyone involved in the dinner service from the kitchen to the front of house makes Meadowood one for your dinning bucket list. Yes, it's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Vegetal forward"EnjoysgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've been to several fine dining establishments (Per Se, Charlie Trotter, Enoteca Pinchiorri, etc.) and this experience was by far the worst. Total tab for 2 with tax tip and wine was $1100. For that we got about about 3 ounces of protein total (we orders the meat menu, mind you). If you are looking for a grand gourmand dining experience and have had one in the past with rich, delicious food - expect to be underwhelmed...Special Features:
- Meadow(not)goodPhoodphantomDined on 10/4/2014Meadowood was an expensive disappointment. The sommalier was standoffish and pushy about the amount and price of the wine list. To explain, she seemed more interested in selling wine than suggesting wine. The food was mediocre and did not have much depth of flavor. There was far too much shellfish on the 12 course tasting and much of it was rubbery. I have nothing but regret about spending the money I did to attend this highly acclaimed establishment. It would appear that the only thing it has going for itself is its own pretension. I am an experienced diner and there were courses that were so bitter and unpleasant that I passed on them entirely. I have had better meals at Taco Bell.Special Features:
- My best food experience everDdenniscpaDined on 10/3/2014This is a very expensive evening. Dinner was 3+ hours and well worth the time and money. Staff was helpful - each of the 12 courses were explained succinctly and completely. A highlight of our Napa vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!!Dejaview2Dined on 9/24/2014I was a little worried when we walked up to the entrance and there were three guys mulling around just to greet us. I was thinking just one guy would be fine and the other two could be in the kitchen doing prep work. Well it turns out, they didn't need any extra help in the kitchen. Great evening and the food was exceptional!! One slight problem, it tends to be a little loud in the dining area but since we had a late reservation, it became less of a problem as other diners left.Special Features:
- Fantastic service, good foodsmilsguenDined on 9/24/2014I will start out by saying that the service here is impeccable. The staff is very attentive and informative. We had told them we were celebrating our honeymoon and they had a very lovely note waiting for us on our table. If we could go back just for the service alone we would. For the food, I did enjoy it however I think I expected a little more from it. One dish was too spicy for me (I had said I couldn't have anything spicy beforehand) which was a little disappointing. And we both not care for a veal dish, there just wasn't anything memorable to it. The wine pairing was decent but the cocktail we ordered was amazing. Overall the food was creative and delicious and something everyone should experience. I'm not sure we would go back though.Special Features:
- Incredible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Though you definitely pay dearly for it - the meal at The Restaurant at Meadowood is quite something. We were there for over 4 hours enjoying the 20 course meal. We will be talking about it for quite a while. Such incredible attention to detail with the food and service. Really enjoyed having a tour of the well run kitchen. Neat to experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingwdc88Dined on 9/18/2014Pretty much indescribable, but I'll try... The 12-course tasting menu, customized to each diner's likes/dislikes, was worthy of every one of the three Michelin stars this places owns. Fresh local ingredients, superb flavors layered atop one another in astounding combinations, breath-taking presentations. The sommelier gave us three absolutely perfect recommendations for half-bottles of white, red, and dessert wines. Afterwards, we were offered a tour of the kitchen, which was itself a remarkable experience. Ambiance is quiet, elegant, relaxing. Service was welcoming, attentive, completely unpretentious. (Not accustomed to 3-star dining, we were a bit worried about this -- don't be!) Unforgettable. We'll go again as soon as possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OopsfoodieDined on 9/18/2014The food was delicious. We were meet at the front door by the valet who would be organizing our return car service for us which was great. We then were greeted by a girl who was a bit kooky. She addressed me as "my lady". Both my husband and I ordered a Martini. Mine was Belvedere, his Ketel One. The server returned advising us that they were out of Belvedere and suggested a different vodka I had not heard of. I opted to go with Ketel One. As she turned to leave another server delivered our Martinis to us. Obviously she had already made my decision on my choice of vodka. It was fine but when dining at a restaurant of this high standard more is expected. No one spoke to us about the drinks. My husband was going to but I asked him not to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceiheartfoodDined on 9/18/2014The best service that I've ever received in a fine dining setting. A lot of veggies in the menu. Healthy choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long and small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Took too long between dishes. Portions were way smaller than expected. Food was delicious but not worth the price at all.Special Features:
- PerfectBradDined on 9/16/2014It is my best dinner ever ! I will enjoy and appreciate the offering the restaurant provide ! I will definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unmet expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/15/2014for a michilen 3 star restaurant, this one did not meet our expectations. a few of the courses were ok, but most unimpressive. there are many great restaurants in the Napa valley and this is not one of them. the wine pairings were great, but the price of the pairings was way out of line for the pairings used.
- Simply the best experience.LocalfoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014It exceeded our expectation in terms of food and service. Never imagined a restaurant catering the menu to your likes/dislikes, allergies and your personal wine. Did not think that a Michelin star especially a 3 star place would be this customer friendly as that has not been our past experience. The freshness of food was evident in every bite and every dish. My wife and I decided that from now on this would be our new anniversary place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a 3*tdiddyVIPDined on 9/12/2014this place serves good, imaginative food, with good service. But both the service and taste do not "wow" compared to several other 3*s, particularily in Europe. I would also suggest that Saison, which we dined at shortly before, was superior in most aspects (the style of food was similar, simply better though)
- Finest dining experience -- ever!FoodieEricDined on 9/11/2014Now I know why they have 3 Michelin stars. We had high expectations going in having experienced near perfection at The French Laundry the previous night and Chef Kostow and company exceeded expectations. The service was beyond excellent -- they greeted us and knew us by name at arrival and we were greeted and thanked by Chef Kostow himself at the end. And the food! I had no idea you could make food like this! Our favorites were the Veal Short Ribs with Trout Roe Dill and their Surf Clam with Lardo, Sea Lettuce and Avocado though it is difficult to pick a favorite as all were excellent.Special Features:
- DeceptionDididiDined on 9/10/2014Total deception,the 225us menu is not worthwhile and the staff,mainly the hostess and the sommelier, are extremely arrogant,we didnt like the treatment and i would never come back again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2014A must go for a special occasion and if you like something special. Menu is created based on input received and delicious. Presentation of food is artwork together with great service, very much like an European high end restaurant. Everything is flawless and the menu is served a nice flow with some breaks between the courses.Special Features:
- Artistic but portion deprivedkm56789Dined on 9/4/2014My husband and I went for a special occasion to The Restaurant at Meadowood. Quite often when traveling in the US we find the portions enormous, this meal however was quite the contrary. Sadly, we left hungry. I recommend eating something before hand so you can enjoy the food journey. Otherwise the meal was artistically beautiful, full of interesting ingredients, thoughtfully presented, and with stellar service.Special Features:
- DisappointedAndyVIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the only restaurant I have ever asked for my check half way through the tasting as I was completely disappointed in the food. I have dined at many of the finest restaurants in the world and I expected this to be another exceptional experience based on their reputation and the three Michelin stars. The sommelier and the wine were exceptional - it was the only positive experience of the night. The service was mostly stiff and rehearsed. The food was presented on the plate beautifully, however, that is where the quality ends as the food was either tasteless, tough or under cooked. After tasting our fifth course, we finished our wine, paid our bill and left.
- HorribleMfmdocVIPDined on 9/2/2014Never had such a bad experience dining out as I did there. Fully expected to be "wowed" but was completely disappointed at every turn. I wonder what the Michelin Group was thinking. Art maybe, food NO.Special Features:
- Wonderful food as expected.LynCHDined on 8/23/2014My only criticism is that the dishes came too fast. I had to ask the personnel to slow down as we hardly had time to enjoy one that another was already in front of us. This didn't allow me to enjoy the wine as it changed frequently and I didn't have time to finish it. I know you want to get in two services per evening but I live in Europe where a meal like this lasts all evening. I've eaten with Girardet, Rochat, Rabet and others who have gourmet restaurants in Switzerland (I'm sure your chefs must know these names) and the dishes are spaced out perfectly but the meal lasts all evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening albeit costlyFitFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014I just took my husband for his 50th birthday. We had a really lovely three hour dinner but nothing really super special sadly. We both agreed we'd rather return to the French laundry for Alinea in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I thoughtHyyily0525Dined on 8/20/2014I believe the restaurant should do better at cooking the food and make sure to keep the original taste of the food instead of over making it!
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/20/2014Was probably the best dinner I've had. EVER. Great experience. Food was amazing and the service was very welcoming and perfectly timed. A very expensive meal, but worth every penny. Those who love good food and good service should make a reservation. The tasting we had was incredible and all of the small touches we were given did not go unnoticed. I can't imagine a better way to spend my birthday evening. I especially loved the personally printed menu I was given at the end of the meal. It is a great way to capture the memories that were created.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceWinefoodie2Dined on 8/19/2014This was our first time at Meadowwood, and we already have another reservation to come back. Exceptional food and wine pairing, service and food preparation. Surpassed our expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014Must try, TOTALLY worth the trip, SUPER attentive service ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Michelin 3 Star ExperienceSonomaFoodieDined on 8/16/2014We were excited to have dinner at Meadowood since the chef recently received his third Michelin Star. The setting is absolutely gorgeous, with the dining room open and airy with a view of the grounds. We decided to have the wine pairing which consisted of 6 wines, 3 whites and 3 reds; one Napa Valley wine and 5 wines from France. The wines were fantastic and well paired with the food. The food was simply quite disappointing. In a 10 course meal, at a Michelin 3 Star restaurant, I would have expected 7-8 (at least) to be "OMG" shockingly good. The dried tomato, creme fraiche and wild plum beet was "OMG" good.The daylily spot prawn was "OMG" good. The other courses were fine, but not even close to notable. Very, very disappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014If you are looking for a restaurant to celebrate a special occasion, this is the place. You will be in for an exceptional dinner where you will be spoiled! An amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLongTimeFanVIPDined on 8/6/2014Amazing food with perfectly paired wines. May be the most you ever pay for dinner, but it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!DwayneVIPDined on 8/4/2014There is not enough space to write an adequate review. The food (custom menu), wine, service, and ambiance are all outstanding. If you like exceptional food and wine, then you must go to The Restaurant at Meadowood. The Restaurant is at least equal to The French Laundry, or Per Se, or Alain Ducasse's restaurants. This is an experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good by American StandardsapkurkDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten at many 3 star restaurants in France, Spain, Italy, so I am confused at the 3 star rating for Meadowood. For example with regards to food, creativity and service, it does not hold a candle to Vague D'or in St. Tropez with regards to food and service, or Azurmendi in Spain with regards to creativity, or old school white glove treatment in L'Ambroise in Paris, with high end ingredients. I don't know if there is just a culture of extreme formality in European 3 star restaurants compared to the US or if my expectations are high? For example, we also ate at Eleven Madison Park in NYC, and noticed a much more casual, less emphasis on service approach, but they had a stronger emphasis on quality of ingredients and range in the menu.Special Features:
- OpentableDinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's amazing how much effort is put into every ingredient and dish.Special Features:
- first-rate experienceGinoODined on 7/26/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday dinner here and was very impressed with our overall experience. Excellent service from beginning to end. We opted for the chef's counter menu and was totally pleased by the blend of flavors and textures of the different courses. We had a similarly great experience at the French Laundry 2 months ago. I do, however, have to mention that the 20+ courses of the chef's counter felt lighter and left you not feeling bloated due to their heavy emphasis on their garden products compared to the Laundry. At some point while at the Laundry, I couldn't take another bite and there were more deserts being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningDiningDenizenVIPDined on 7/24/2014This was a very special dining experience. Creative food and creative presentations. Kudos to the chef and staff.Special Features:
- 3 StarsMrLukeDined on 7/19/2014As one of only ten Michelin three star restaurants in the US, this restarant was very impressive and I highly recommend it. Skip the stuffy French Laundry and have a memorable dining experience here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.